What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (1 Viewer)

Last week Gibbs had 17 touches for 112 and two TDs, both from one yard. Montgomery had 12 touches for 116 and a TD.

Today both of them had 14 touches for just under 100 yards each and both had a short TD run. Mind you the Lions only had the ball for 19 minutes.

I don't think it's going to change.
Gibbs nearly had two TDs. Took a 6 yard carry down to the one, Monty punched it in.
Really needed that 2nd Gibbs TD watched that live that hurt have Gibbs in like a bunch a leagues and Montgomery.

Gibbs is going to be utilized far more as a wideout than any of those. I would envision about 650 snaps with over 250 as a reciever. I can see about 70 receptions total with about 900 yards. Top that with about 600 yards rushing. If the experts want to put the over/under at 1000 total yards for Gibbs, sign me up for the over.
Just wanted to bump this. Jon was a believer early on that Gibbs would have >> 1000 total yards this year. Gibbs is at 898 with five more games to go.

Now the rushing back receiving split is pretty different. 626 yards rushing, 278 yds receiving. More importantly, Gibbs is at 6.5 yds per catch, vs the 13.0 jon suggested.

Was any of this impacted by Montgomery’s injury? Meh. Maybe. Or maybe Gibbs has just been on a rookie learning curve the first half of 2023.

Anyway, just was thinking about Gibbs rookie year and remembered some of the posts in here.

Gibbs is going to be utilized far more as a wideout than any of those. I would envision about 650 snaps with over 250 as a reciever. I can see about 70 receptions total with about 900 yards. Top that with about 600 yards rushing. If the experts want to put the over/under at 1000 total yards for Gibbs, sign me up for the over.
Just wanted to bump this. Jon was a believer early on that Gibbs would have >> 1000 total yards this year. Gibbs is at 898 with five more games to go.

Now the rushing back receiving split is pretty different. 626 yards rushing, 278 yds receiving. More importantly, Gibbs is at 6.5 yds per catch, vs the 13.0 jon suggested.

Was any of this impacted by Montgomery’s injury? Meh. Maybe. Or maybe Gibbs has just been on a rookie learning curve the first half of 2023.

Anyway, just was thinking about Gibbs rookie year and remembered some of the posts in here.

Part of the problem, instead of splitting Gibbs out wide, LaPorta has been the guy they use all over the place and eating up all the targets. Amon Ra and LaPorta get over half of Goff's looks. That only leaves scraps for Gibbs, Jamo, Reynolds and Raymond to fight over.

Part of the problem, instead of splitting Gibbs out wide, LaPorta has been the guy they use all over the place and eating up all the targets. Amon Ra and LaPorta get over half of Goff's looks. That only leaves scraps for Gibbs, Jamo, Reynolds and Raymond to fight over.
1. That was somewhat predictable — others mentioned it in here as a likelihood
2. Gibbs was still never hitting 13 ypr

Either way, your confidence in Gibbs has been largely validated.

Part of the problem, instead of splitting Gibbs out wide, LaPorta has been the guy they use all over the place and eating up all the targets.

this is what always happens when coaches start saying in July/August "he's just a weapon, we're going to line him up everywhere"

then the games start and everyone suddenly remembers "oh that's right, the receivers are actually better out wide and in the slot than the running backs."

Part of the problem, instead of splitting Gibbs out wide, LaPorta has been the guy they use all over the place and eating up all the targets.

this is what always happens when coaches start saying in July/August "he's just a weapon, we're going to line him up everywhere"

then the games start and everyone suddenly remembers "oh that's right, the receivers are actually better out wide and in the slot than the running backs."
Yeah, even rare dudes like M Faulk and CMC are/were best in mismatches against LBs or Safeties, as opposed to DBs. WRs are simply better at lining up outside generally.

As great as Gibbs is or looks, this offense is just too talented. Pound for pound there might not be a team with more weapons.

1. RB36
  2. RB19
  3. RB25*
  4. RB25
  5. DNP - INJ
  6. DNP - INJ
    here is where I traded Addison for him
  7. RB3*
  8. RB1*
  9. bye
  10. RB2
  11. RB3
  12. RB24
  13. RB29
*DM DNP - INJ

I have good but not great options - Pacheco, Moss, Hall, Warren, Mitchell - but never think about benching him. Ride or die.

1. RB36
  2. RB19
  3. RB25*
  4. RB25
  5. DNP - INJ
  6. DNP - INJ
  7. RB3*
  8. RB1*
  9. bye
  10. RB2
  11. RB3
  12. RB24
  13. RB29
*DM DNP - INJ

I have good but not great options - Pacheco, Moss, Hall, Warren, Mitchell - but never think about benching him. Ride or die.
Is this Montgomery?

1. RB36
  2. RB19
  3. RB25*
  4. RB25
  5. DNP - INJ
  6. DNP - INJ
  7. RB3*
  8. RB1*
  9. bye
  10. RB2
  11. RB3
  12. RB24
  13. RB29
*DM DNP - INJ

Is this Montgomery?

Monty
  1. RB16
  2. RB21
  3. DNP - INJ
  4. RB2
  5. RB5*
  6. RB45*
  7. DNP - INJ
  8. DNP - INJ
  9. bye
  10. RB12
  11. RB14
  12. RB15
  13. RB17
*JG DNP - INJ
Man I totally forgot Gibbs missed those games.

As great as Gibbs is or looks, this offense is just too talented. Pound for pound there might not be a team with more weapons.
I love the skill position talent on the Lions, but they aren't as talented as SF or Miami. Now, if Jameson Williams ever lives up to his draft spot, they'll have an argument, but right now, I'd say that's premature.

I love the skill position talent on the Lions, but they aren't as talented as SF or Miami. Now, if Jameson Williams ever lives up to his draft spot, they'll have an argument, but right now, I'd say that's premature.
True I'd take SF but not Miami. Close but I prefer the rb duo in Detroit and the TE.

True I'd take SF but not Miami. Close but I prefer the rb duo in Detroit and the TE.
Miami O >> Detroit imo.

RBs:
CMC vs Gibb/Monty vs Achane/Mostert- tough call, I think Gibbs/ Monty is the best combo by far so it comes down to do you prefer the single best back or the better pair?

WRs:
Tyreek/Waddle vs Aiyuk/Deebo vs Amon Ra/Jamo- As much as I love ARSB, Jamo just isn't there so the Lions are clearly in 3rd place. Tyreek is just so good (MVP anyone?) that I think he seals it for Miami

TEs:
Kittle vs LaPorta vs ???- Miami doesn't even belong in this convo. Kittle should get the nod, but it's crazy that LaPorta, as a rookie, is nipping at his heels.

RBs:
CMC vs Gibb/Monty vs Achane/Mostert- tough call, I think Gibbs/ Monty is the best combo by far so it comes down to do you prefer the single best back or the better pair?

WRs:
Tyreek/Waddle vs Aiyuk/Deebo vs Amon Ra/Jamo- As much as I love ARSB, Jamo just isn't there so the Lions are clearly in 3rd place. Tyreek is just so good (MVP anyone?) that I think he seals it for Miami

TEs:
Kittle vs LaPorta vs ???- Miami doesn't even belong in this convo. Kittle should get the nod, but it's crazy that LaPorta, as a rookie, is nipping at his heels.
I'd take McCaffrey over any combo. But I do like the Lions pair over Miami smurfs.

I also like the depth the Lions have at wr. Reynolds and Raymond are solid. And I'll say this about Williams. I've been watching him closely and I think he's ready to be unleashed. Unfortunately for his owners, they have no reason to. He will never be featured there. You put him on a wr needy team and I think he'd explode to close the season.

RBs:

WRs:

TEs:
I'd take McCaffrey over any combo. But I do like the Lions pair over Miami smurfs.

I also like the depth the Lions have at wr. Reynolds and Raymond are solid. And I'll say this about Williams. I've been watching him closely and I think he's ready to be unleashed. Unfortunately for his owners, they have no reason to. He will never be featured there. You put him on a wr needy team and I think he'd explode to close the season.
Can someone tell the Chiefs? Pls and TY.

Ragnow trending to be out. Do the Lions roll with Monty trying to grind it out with a bunch of wind or do they actually target Gibbs in the pass game.

RBs:

WRs:

TEs:
I think Deebo needs to be considered as a 2nd RB/offensive weapon here. His role is a bit tweenerish also and that is very good combined with CMC.

When healthy I think the Lions may have the best offensive line of these 3 teams but there is something special about Skeletor JRs blocking scheme to consider here.

It seems we are very carefully avoiding a QB comparison?
Great point. Probably the 3 best QBs that people can’t agree are actually good.
If people don't think Tua is good then they are out to lunch. He's the 3rd highest rated passer this year, after being 1st last year. Tua would be in my top-10 players to start a franchise with.

Purdy might be in a similar boat at this time next season, but it feels a little too early to fully crown him. He's at the very least a solid starter.

Goff is the very definition of a good but not great QB. He can look great in some matchups and bad in others, he's a solid enough starter, but it also wouldn't blow my mind if next year there were some calls for Hendon Hooker, especially if Goff has a bad playoff run. Goff in many ways is kind of Dalton-like but with better coaching than what the Bengals had when they had a loaded supporting cast.

Great point. Probably the 3 best QBs that people can’t agree are actually good.
If people don't think Tua is good then they are out to lunch. He's the 3rd highest rated passer this year, after being 1st last year. Tua would be in my top-10 players to start a franchise with.

Purdy might be in a similar boat at this time next season, but it feels a little too early to fully crown him. He's at the very least a solid starter.

Goff is the very definition of a good but not great QB. He can look great in some matchups and bad in others, he's a solid enough starter, but it also wouldn't blow my mind if next year there were some calls for Hendon Hooker, especially if Goff has a bad playoff run. Goff in many ways is kind of Dalton-like but with better coaching than what the Bengals had when they had a loaded supporting cast.
Sure but you know what I mean...these guys are running elite offenses but aren't getting talked about like Mahomes, Hurts, Herbert, Allen, Jackson, Dak, etc. Instead, for much of their careers, they were considered something to succeed in spite of and not because of. I do agree people are coming around to them all.

I'll just say I've thought for awhile that Tua and Purdy are very similar and if they switched teams the impact would be minimal.
How would you rank those 3 QBs?
Purdy, Tua, Goff is how I'd put them, certainly understand people seeing it differently.
That is why it's so interesting because I don't even know where to begin. Goff has the most arm talent. Purdy seems coolest when things break down. Tua is...quickest decision maker?

I'll just say I've thought for awhile that Tua and Purdy are very similar and if they switched teams the impact would be minimal.
How would you rank those 3 QBs?
Purdy, Tua, Goff is how I'd put them, certainly understand people seeing it differently.
That is why it's so interesting because I don't even know where to begin. Goff has the most arm talent. Purdy seems coolest when things break down. Tua is...quickest decision maker?
Would not disagree with any of that.

I've personally always been a huge fan of QB's whose play clock speed does not increase under pressure. That's major reason I like Purdy who also brings along surprisingly strong deep ball accuracy and mobility.

All 3 are highly accurate passers, I feel like Tua has the best ball placement to go along with the decision making.

Would not disagree on Goff's arm talent, I mainly put him third due to mobility and Purdy first as he has the traits I just personally like in a QB.

All 3 work with great OC's, arguably the top 3 though I'd have an equally time sorting that out and leaving out guys like McVay, Stieichen, KOC and up and coming Slowic. Might be harder sorting out who is the top OC of the bunch more then sorting out QB or skill groups.

I did think about that as I was posting my point about Deebo and then the offensive lines.

I am still somewhat undecided about these QBs right now, so it's not about avoiding it, but that I still need more information.

I think all 3 QB are good, but different. Goff is the main known QB of the 3 from my perspective and I would have him 3rd but I do think Goff is playing better now than earlier in his career and it's close. I would lean towards Tua over Purdy but I could flip that at any moment of the day. I am slightly more familiar with Tua.

I agree with what others have said about the 3 QBs in regards to their differences. I think Goff has the best arm of the 3 Tua the best mobility, Purdy somewhere in between on that spectrum.

The main point I wanted to make is that I think the CMC + Deebo combination is really dynamic in Shanahans offense. But Gibbs does add an element of that as well for the Lions, and Achane, Waddle, Hill with Mostert is also pretty dynamic as far as stressing the defense and overloading gap discipline goes to borrow an idea from Chess. It's just really difficult for defenses to account for everything against what these offenses can do. Overcompensate to stop one player and another really hurts you instead.

I am least familiar with Miamis offensive line here. The offense does seem much improved schematically this year though and the addition of Achane is a part of that.

If I were picking a QB for a forming team, Tua and Purdy seem long term stars to me and almost a coin flip between them. Purdy, though, seems to me to have more seamless QB instincts and Tua a bit more injury concern, so

Elite NFL QB
Purdy
Tua

Goff

Average NFL QB

He’s the ****ing Flash man, I swear this guy is pure acceleration
He is fun to watch. Feels like we are seeing a bit of a shift at the RB position to guys like Gibbs/Acane/Keaton Mitchell. Guys who can beat you to the edge instead of pounding it up the gut. I know they've always been there, but it seems to be becoming a bit more prevalent in offensive gameplans.
Yes sir. We are watching the modern NFL take shape. The lighter, quicker, explosion guy that get 10-15 touches a game. They are just fun to watch

Users who are viewing this thread