What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (1 Viewer)

I thought the point about ASB being stopped short of the goal line multiple times last season leading to an extrodinary number of short yardage opportunities for Williams was an interesting one.

I think most if not all of us would agree the number of short yardage TD Williams had last season was an outlier.

What is interesting about this point is that the Lions were throwing the ball to ASB in short yardage situations.

With Gibbs now available this puts defenses more in a bind as far as who to account for when the field gets condendensed. They can have ASB go one way and Gibbs the other which allows Goff to make a pre snap read on which of them is getting the more favorable match up.

With quality offensive line the defense really needs to sell out to stop the plunge from Montgomery to stop it, thus leading to one on one match ups for ASB or Gibbs.

They can also use misdirection, play action, jet sweeps off tackle or quick flares to either ASB or Gibbs in these situations.

IIRC there was a blurb from beat writer in camp talking about exactly this upthread and how Gibbs was very hard to guard in these situations because of his speed and quickness.

the biggest crime in this thread is believing in Monty. This guy flopped in Chicago and now he goes to another team to flop there. Can someone explain to me why we should care about a 3.9career ypc/avg RB? I mean, this is nonsense. Gibbs beats this guy out before the first play of preseason. I don't care about the 'he's too small' talk. This is a different NFL then Eddie George's time. Nowadays RBs avoid tackles more because of offense play calling and passes to RBs.
But monty is what we thought he was - a less plodding RB with no skill set, nothin impressive in his quiver , he's a slow as molasses RB who shouldn't get the praise or consideration that he gets.
Exactly Monty hasn’t done anything to show me that he is a threat. He is just a value pick because of the offense he is in, and the perceived red zone looks, but who’s to say Gibbs won’t get a lot of those?

And the Gibbs is too small thing makes no sense either. As he is basically the exact same size as Christian McCaffrey with a very similar skill set.

Gibbs 5’9” 200lbs

McCaffrey 5’11” 205lbs

I am taking Gibbs in every draft I can get
This is a game of using logic and reasoning to predict outcomes.

Logic and deductive reasoning suggests the 224 Lb guy they brought in is going to see the goal line looks.

that doesn't mean they won't dump the ball off to Gibbs similar to how the Chiefs used Mckinnnon last year.

Using Logic and Reasoning....

Amon-Ra St.Brown was the 6th most targeted WR in the NFL in the redzone last year (21 Targets), had 6 TDs in the redzone, and just fell short on the 1 yd line like 5x which is an absurd amount. People forget this stat. This is why Jamaal Williams was able to fall into the endzone 5x atleast, which leads to people over estimating how many looks that Montgomery could possibly get.

The point being the Lions will absolutely look to throw to Gibbs in the redzone, and it would be illogical to assume that he won't be a part of their game plan based on how they have operated in the redzone. I am sure he will also get a decent amount of runs in the redzone from inside the 10 yard line, he is incredibly elusive, and lightning fast. Again having Gibbs on the field will make defenses play the Lions differently, and he will be on the field a lot in two back sets, or lining up as a WR. A lot of things will open up for Amon-Ra, and Gibbs will get his looks too.

This is going to be a fun offense to watch this year, and some great value for fantasy football. I love the Goff/St.Brown/Gibbs stack in best ball. Easier to get, and people forget Goff was a top 10 QB last year.
Logic with reasoning suggests that the 224 Lb back gets the goal line carries.

Montgomery won't get Jamal Williams 17 TD's. But he'll likely get the goal line work.

I have no doubt that Gibbs gets some targets inside the 20. I don't think he gets a lot of hand offs inside the 5.

Your intermittent use of bolded words doesn't change the logic/reasoning.
Your lack of facts, and just stating that someone weighs 224lbs to support your BOLD statement that Montgomery will get some goal line carries does not change what I said at all. Thanks for your very valuable input though
Your argument for why Gibbs will get redzone touches is ARSB fell short of the endzone several times. "I am sure he will get a decent amount of runs because hs is incredibly elusive and lightning fast." Lots of fast elusive backs out there--they don't all get redzone carries.

You seem to think you've brought some amazing amount of "facts" and you're literally saying you think it will happen because the guy is fast.
I absolutely think ASB is the one who will have the biggest upside in that offense. The offense runs through him. I am drafting him everywhere I can as well as I think he can have a Kupp like season. Even more so because he was averaging 25 pt per game in the final 6 games of his rookie season and I think in his 3rd year he can absolutely do that especially now that they are using him more on deep routes. His only real target competition is Gibbs at this point until Jameson Williams comes back, and with the recent fight in camp we'll see how that plays out.

Reasons I am assuming Gibbs will benefit from this as well

They drafted him 12th, they plan on using him (Draft Capital 1.12)
They traded away Swift (Swift had two top 20 seasons in that role, and misssed 3 and 4 games those years).
They see him as an offensive weapon and will be finding ways to get him the ball in space
He has great route running ability, and has been lining up as WR in training camp (Excellent Hands)
He has elite speed and elusiveness, exellent one-cut/jump-cut ability (4.36 Speed)
They will give him looks in the redzone as a runner and as a receiver. Don't care that David Montgomery will get some redzone looks
Great offensive line. All this guy needs is a little room to run, and he can take it to the house on any play. This dude absolutely passes the eye test 👁️

David Montgomery at 3.9 ypc career avg is just another guy at this point in his career. Do I think he can be effective absolutely, will he get goaline touches aboslute, but I think the Lions will still use Gibbs in the redzone as a runner/receiver. David Montgomery has also struggled with injuries the last two years. He missed 4 games in 2021 and was put on IR with a knee sprain. He missed 1 game last year with an ankle sprain, and was a complete non-factor in 4 games. He also only topped 1000 yards once as a rusher. You may say that he was in a bad offense, but I would say that it is not that hard to get 1000 yards rushing in a 17 game season if you are the clear starter. If he gets hurt or misses anytime Gibbs immediately becomes top 10 with top 5 upside.

The Lions defense is also god awful. They will be in high scoring shoot outs. Who will benefit most when the Lions are in a two minute drill or playing from behind. Gibbs and St.Brown. Quick slants and dump offs.
I just want to be clear on the debate here.

You keep saying "He will get looks in the redzone." I have zero doubt that when we get to the end of the season, his redzone touches are above zero. If ALL you're saying is "He will touch the football some number of times inside the 20, agree 100%.

Most people--when talking about redzone touches--mean "goal line." Because those are the touches that most easily lead to touchdowns. Historically speaking, NFL teams don't use sub 200 lbs backs there a lot. They do use guys that weight 220+ lbs there. You kind of threw the weight back in my face, but it does point to historical norms.

Is it your belief that Gibbs has an equal or greater amount of goal line carries compared to Montgomery? And if so, can you support that other than "He's really good and fast and they like him a lot." NFL teams typically want big and plodding not small and elusive on the goal line.

First off, sorry for coming off "chippy". The intent of these forums is to share information and help each other out.

I think he will see a decent amount of carries, and probably more than most are factoring in. I am not sure of the percentage of touches compared to Montgomery. Who knows? But all I am saying is that sure if it's at the 1 yard line, Montgomery will absolutely get those, but I don't think there will be near as many at the 1 yard line because that amount of times ASB was tackled at the 1 yard line last year was ridiculous, and if anything ASB will score 10+ TDs if he is targeted in the redzone similarly to last year. Inside the 5 I would imagine that Montgomery will get more of those, but inside the 10 that's tough to say.

I am also saying I think Gibbs will be a big part of the game plan when they go to score as he is an offensive weapon. They threw the ball a lot to Amon-Ra St.Brown a lot in the redzone, and I actually believe on a per game basis (because he missed 1 full game, got injured early in 1 game, and was largely ineffective in 1 game after coming back from ankle injury) that he was #1 in Redzone targets amongst WRs. Don't quote me on that because I can't find the stat now, but again the point is I think they will throw a lot inside the 5 yard line and I believe most of those targets will be to St.Brown, and now Gibbs too because of his excellent route running, hands, and speed.

Last edited:
I just want to be clear on the debate here.

You keep saying "He will get looks in the redzone." I have zero doubt that when we get to the end of the season, his redzone touches are above zero. If ALL you're saying is "He will touch the football some number of times inside the 20, agree 100%.

Most people--when talking about redzone touches--mean "goal line." Because those are the touches that most easily lead to touchdowns. Historically speaking, NFL teams don't use sub 200 lbs backs there a lot. They do use guys that weight 220+ lbs there. You kind of threw the weight back in my face, but it does point to historical norms.

Is it your belief that Gibbs has an equal or greater amount of goal line carries compared to Montgomery? And if so, can you support that other than "He's really good and fast and they like him a lot." NFL teams typically want big and plodding not small and elusive on the goal line.

First off, sorry for coming off "chippy". The intent of these forums is to share information and help each other out.

I think he will see a decent amount of carries, and probably more than most are factoring in. I am not sure of the percentage of touches compared to Montgomery. Who knows? But all I am saying is that sure if it's at the 1 yard line, Montgomery will absolutely get those, but I don't think there will be near as many at the 1 yard line because that amount of times ASB was tackled at the 1 yard line last year was ridiculous, and if anything ASB will score 10+ TDs if he is targeted in the redzone similarly to last year. Inside the 5 I would imagine that Montgomery will get more of those, but inside the 10 that's tough to say.

I am also saying I think Gibbs will be a big part of the game plan when they go to score as he is an offensive weapon. They threw the ball a lot to Amon-Ra St.Brown a lot in the redzone, and I actually believe on a per game basis (because he missed 1 full game, got injured early in 1 game, and was largely ineffective in 1 game after coming back from ankle injury) that he was #1 in Redzone targets amongst WRs. Don't quote me on that because I can't find the stat now, but again the point is I think they will throw a lot inside the 5 yard line and I believe most of those targets will be to St.Brown, and now Gibbs too because of his excellent route running, hands, and speed.
i'm personally not vested in Gibbs and not sure I will be, but well noted on these points, these are really good angles on his potential rz opportunity upside. thanks for sharing, i'm a little more intrigued with Gibbs than I was before this post.

Adding 2022 redzone passing stats, all from PFR:

Goff inside the 20 passing stats 54/91 22 TD 1 INT, good for fifth overall behind Mahomes, Cousins, Herbert, Burrows, in that order, and fifrth in TD's scored behind the same minus herbert
Goff inside the 10 passing stats 26/44 20 TD 0 INT, good for fifth in attempts overall behind Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Cousins, in that order, and second in TD's scored behind Mahomes

Of these,
ARSB inside the 20 is 13/21 6 TD, good for fourth overall, but only behind 3 WRs who all have 7 TDs and Kelce with 10
ARSB inside the 10 is 5/7 4 TD, good for fifth overall, but only behind Kirk (6), Jefferson (5), and Gage (5) for WR's. Kelco and McKinnon are one and two with 8 and 7.

After ARSB the targets spread across Swift, Reynolds and Raymond. If Gibbs works his way into the Swift role here, 10/14/1 inside the 20 and 1/3/1 inside the 10, and eat into any of ARSB's slice of the pie, it's significant. I dunno if that's possible, but reasonable to say that's what is available to him.

Adding 2022 redzone passing stats, all from PFR:

Goff inside the 20 passing stats 54/91 22 TD 1 INT, good for fifth overall behind Mahomes, Cousins, Herbert, Burrows, in that order, and fifrth in TD's scored behind the same minus herbert
Goff inside the 10 passing stats 26/44 20 TD 0 INT, good for fifth in attempts overall behind Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Cousins, in that order, and second in TD's scored behind Mahomes

Of these,
ARSB inside the 20 is 13/21 6 TD, good for fourth overall, but only behind 3 WRs who all have 7 TDs and Kelce with 10
ARSB inside the 10 is 5/7 4 TD, good for fifth overall, but only behind Kirk (6), Jefferson (5), and Gage (5) for WR's. Kelco and McKinnon are one and two with 8 and 7.

After ARSB the targets spread across Swift, Reynolds and Raymond. If Gibbs works his way into the Swift role here, 10/14/1 inside the 20 and 1/3/1 inside the 10, and eat into any of ARSB's slice of the pie, it's significant. I dunno if that's possible, but reasonable to say that's what is available to him.
Thanks for this info.. 5th most attempts is what I like most. And love Amon Ra this year as a candidate to have over 20 fantasy ppg

the biggest crime in this thread is believing in Monty. This guy flopped in Chicago and now he goes to another team to flop there. Can someone explain to me why we should care about a 3.9career ypc/avg RB? I mean, this is nonsense. Gibbs beats this guy out before the first play of preseason. I don't care about the 'he's too small' talk. This is a different NFL then Eddie George's time. Nowadays RBs avoid tackles more because of offense play calling and passes to RBs.
But monty is what we thought he was - a less plodding RB with no skill set, nothin impressive in his quiver , he's a slow as molasses RB who shouldn't get the praise or consideration that he gets.
Exactly Monty hasn’t done anything to show me that he is a threat. He is just a value pick because of the offense he is in, and the perceived red zone looks, but who’s to say Gibbs won’t get a lot of those?

And the Gibbs is too small thing makes no sense either. As he is basically the exact same size as Christian McCaffrey with a very similar skill set.

Gibbs 5’9” 200lbs

McCaffrey 5’11” 205lbs

Logic and deductive reasoning suggests the 224 Lb guy they brought in is going to see the goal line looks.

that doesn't mean they won't dump the ball off to Gibbs similar to how the Chiefs used Mckinnnon last year.

Amon-Ra St.Brown was the 6th most targeted WR in the NFL in the redzone last year (21 Targets), had 6 TDs in the redzone, and just fell short on the 1 yd line like 5x which is an absurd amount. People forget this stat. This is why Jamaal Williams was able to fall into the endzone 5x atleast, which leads to people over estimating how many looks that Montgomery could possibly get.

The point being the Lions will absolutely look to throw to Gibbs in the redzone, and it would be illogical to assume that he won't be a part of their game plan based on how they have operated in the redzone
I love this analysis, thanks.

But why would you say Gibbs is the potential beneficiary and not ARSB who was already getting those targets? Shouldn't we expect ARSB's role as they approach the goal line to remain the same?

I also don't think anyone believes Montgomery has 17 TD upside.

I absolutely think ASB is the one who will have the biggest upside in that offense. The offense runs through him. I am drafting him everywhere I can as well as I think he can have a Kupp like season. Even more so because he was averaging 25 pt per game in the final 6 games of his rookie season and I think in his 3rd year he can absolutely do that especially now that they are using him more on deep routes. His only real target competition is Gibbs at this point until Jameson Williams comes back, and with the recent fight in camp we'll see how that plays out.

They traded away Swift (Swift had two top 20 seasons in that role, and misssed 3 and 4 games those years).
They see him as an offensive weapon and will be finding ways to get him the ball in space
He has great route running ability, and has been lining up as WR in training camp (Excellent Hands)
He has elite speed and elusiveness, exellent one-cut/jump-cut ability (4.36 Speed)
They will give him looks in the redzone as a runner and as a receiver
Great offensive line. All this guy needs is a little room to run, and he can take it to the house on any play. This dude absolutely passes the eye test 👁️

David Montgomery at 3.9 ypc career avg is just another guy at this point in his career. Do I think he can be effective absolutely, but I absolutely think the Lions will still use Gibbs in the redzone some. David Montgomery has also struggled with injuries the last two years. He missed 4 games in 2021 and was put on IR with a knee sprain. He missed 1 game last year with an ankle sprain, and was a complete non-factor in 4 games. He also only topped 1000 yards once as a rusher. You may say that he was in a bad offense, but I would say that it is not that hard to get 1000 yards rushing in a 17 game season if you are the clear starter. If he gets hurt or misses anytime Gibbs immediately becomes top 10 with top 5 upside.

The Lions defense is god awful. They will be in high scoring shoot outs. Who will benefit most when the Lions are in a two minute drill. Gibbs and St.Brown. Quick slants and dump offs. This is what I think a two minute drill for this team will look like

Jarod Goff pass short right complete to Jahmyr Gibbs for 8 yards
Jarod Goff pass short right complete to Amon-Ra St.Brown for 14 yards
Jarod Goff pass inc deep left to Marvin Jones JR.
Jarod Goff pass short left complete to Jahmyr Gibbs for 5 yards
Jarod Goff pass deep left to Amon-Ra St.Brown for 29 yards
Jarod Goff pass inc to Josh Reynolds
Jahmyr Gibbs rushes up the middle for 17 yards (TIMEOUT)
Jarod Goff pass short to Sam La Porta for 5 yards
Jarod Goff pass short right to Amon-Ra St.Brown 3 yards TOUCHDOWN!

Getting excited about watching this guy play this year as I am typing this up :ROFLMAO:

Just watch this guy.. even the announcer said as he is watching the game "Reminds me so much of Alvin Kamara". The game vs Arkansas he had 18 carries for 206 yards rushing, 2 TDs, and 2 rec for 20 yds (Top 20 opponent). Alabama's offensive line was not even that good last year.

72 yard TD, and 76 yard TD in that game. He just needs opportunities, and with that offensive line you have to think their will be huge holes
Among other takeaways, sounds like Goff will be a steal if this crystal ball proves true. I happen to think you're right. As for Goff, he's fast becoming my favorite pairing with Anthony Richardson in thinking about upcoming drafts.

Gibbs 5’9” 200lbs

McCaffrey 5’11” 205lbs

The point being the Lions will absolutely look to throw to Gibbs in the redzone, and it would be illogical to assume that he won't be a part of their game plan based on how they have operated in the redzone
I love this analysis, thanks.

But why would you say Gibbs is the potential beneficiary and not ARSB who was already getting those targets? Shouldn't we expect ARSB's role as they approach the goal line to remain the same?

I also don't think anyone believes Montgomery has 17 TD upside.

They will give him looks in the redzone as a runner and as a receiver

David Montgomery at 3.9 ypc career avg is just another guy at this point in his career. Do I think he can be effective absolutely, but I absolutely think the Lions will still use Gibbs in the redzone some. David Montgomery has also struggled with injuries the last two years. He missed 4 games in 2021 and was put on IR with a knee sprain. He missed 1 game last year with an ankle sprain, and was a complete non-factor in 4 games. He also only topped 1000 yards once as a rusher. You may say that he was in a bad offense, but I would say that it is not that hard to get 1000 yards rushing in a 17 game season if you are the clear starter. If he gets hurt or misses anytime Gibbs immediately becomes top 10 with top 5 upside.

The Lions defense is god awful. They will be in high scoring shoot outs. Who will benefit most when the Lions are in a two minute drill. Gibbs and St.Brown. Quick slants and dump offs. This is what I think a two minute drill for this team will look like

Jarod Goff pass short right complete to Jahmyr Gibbs for 8 yards
Jarod Goff pass short right complete to Amon-Ra St.Brown for 14 yards
Jarod Goff pass inc deep left to Marvin Jones JR.
Jarod Goff pass short left complete to Jahmyr Gibbs for 5 yards
Jarod Goff pass deep left to Amon-Ra St.Brown for 29 yards
Jarod Goff pass inc to Josh Reynolds
Jahmyr Gibbs rushes up the middle for 17 yards (TIMEOUT)
Jarod Goff pass short to Sam La Porta for 5 yards
Jarod Goff pass short right to Amon-Ra St.Brown 3 yards TOUCHDOWN!

Getting excited about watching this guy play this year as I am typing this up :ROFLMAO:

Just watch this guy.. even the announcer said as he is watching the game "Reminds me so much of Alvin Kamara". The game vs Arkansas he had 18 carries for 206 yards rushing, 2 TDs, and 2 rec for 20 yds (Top 20 opponent). Alabama's offensive line was not even that good last year.

72 yard TD, and 76 yard TD in that game. He just needs opportunities, and with that offensive line you have to think their will be huge holes
Among other takeaways, sounds like Goff will be a steal if this crystal ball proves true. I happen to think you're right. As for Goff, he's fast becoming my favorite pairing with Anthony Richardson in thinking about upcoming drafts.
Yea same I really like pairing him with Richardson. I love that Richardson's coach (Shane Steichen) is the same guy that helped Jalen Hurts, and Justin Herbert to progress as passers.

Gibbs 5’9” 200lbs

McCaffrey 5’11” 205lbs

McCaffrey is a bit of a unicorn. Most RBs at his weight range cannot handle the volume he has. I assume Detroit will consider that when trying to determine Gibb’s workload. Montgomery is an adequate back that will get what is there and can catch the ball. He did not exactly start his career in a prolific offense and has performed pretty consistently. I think behind Detroit’s line he will be a little bit better than his career average running the ball. This is not to say the Lion’s will keep Gibbs off the field, but I think they will try to preserve him a bit by splitting between the two instead of giving him the “McCaffrey” treatment.
Nobody wants Gibbs to have a big workload

All he needs is 8-12 Carries and 5-6 targets a game to have a floor of a mid RB 2 with his skill set in that offense. If he gets more red zone looks than we expect, gets more than 60+ receptions, or looks even better than we expect he can easily make the top 10
When Holmes drafted Gibbs he compared him to M. Faulk and McCaffrey. Holmes was with the Rams organization while Faulk was there.

Both those backs got plenty of run. But Gibbs may start off slow as a rookie as has been mentioned by others.

LaPorta is reported as the number two target behind ARSB in camp and Lions are delighted with him. When Jameson Williams returns the Lions are going to have lethal weapons throughout the offense. Goff is undervalued at his present ADP.

No Technical jargon, No Goff targets from 2022, no deep analysis.

-Old RB regime wasn't working out, they shipped Swift to Philly and wished him luck while he can still earn a decent 2nd contract and also parted ways with Jamaal Williams who was a Green Bay Packer prior and Williams is now really a journeyman that they found a use for near the goal line.

-They draft Gibbs 12th overall, let that sink in for those running to the podium to take Bijan Robinson Top 3 this year and Gibbs is falling to what round again?
-He's a lot higher on the MoP Redraft list than others, I do think that is about to change as more folks realize the situation he's landed on.
-Have you ever watched Montgomery play when he was a Chicago Bear? He always looked worse than Khalil Herbert and at times woefully outplayed but they still kept giving him the ball, I don't think Dan Campbell will make the same mistake.
-Sure, it might take 2-3 weeks for Gibbs to earn the trust of the coaches and prove he can be a 3-down back, pick up the blitz and not get his starting QB killed.

Did I mention he was drafted in the 1st Round?
Did you see Detroit play last year? I tried to watch almost every game and learned a lot from folks like @BobbyLayne about the Lions, the scheme they try and run, I think Gibbs will fit in perfect there and the coaching staff has a complete plan to ensure he succeeds for them.

If Gibbs has even 1 big run in the 1st couple preseason games, his stock will rise to an uncomfortable draft spot for some folks, but not MoP.
Gibbs will be a weekly starting RB on most FF teams.

Last edited:
Gibbs ADP right now according to some Sharks out there...10-team PPR

-David Montgomery 4.10
-Jahmyr Gibbs 6.4

They have Cam Akers going off the board as the 25th RB ahead of Gibbs...

-Obviously the average FF fan believes Monty is there to fill the Jamaal Williams' role of 1,066 rush yds and 17 TDs, instead of realizing why they drafted Gibbs at #12 overall.
-Will Montgomery get touches? Of course he will, they paid him a decent contract and a lot of guaranteed money but I think pert of that is so they don't burn out Gibbs his rookie year.
-There is no way drafting Monty ahead of Gibbs is a winning formula in 2023.
-We all know that these projections and ADP are meaningless after the season starts but of course by then it's too late unless you put some blinders on and take the players you covet or truly believe in when you can get them, not pinning your hopes to an ADP report saying they will be there in the middle of the 5th/6th Round, I wouldn't put much hope in that.

-David Montgomery 4.10
-Jahmyr Gibbs 6.4

-Obviously the average FF fan believes Monty is there to fill the Jamaal Williams' role of 1,066 rush yds and 17 TDs, instead of realizing why they drafted Gibbs at #12 overall.
-Will Montgomery get touches? Of course he will, they paid him a decent contract and a lot of guaranteed money but I think pert of that is so they don't burn out Gibbs his rookie year.
-We all know that these projections and ADP are meaningless after the season starts but of course by then it's too late unless you put some blinders on and take the players you covet or truly believe in when you can get them, not pinning your hopes to an ADP report saying they will be there in the middle of the 5th/6th Round, I wouldn't put much hope in that.
Where is this from?

I've done several mocks on Sleeper, Yahoo, ESPN. I've done 20+ Best balls on Underdog.

I feel like I've never seen Montgomery above Gibbs.

If you go look at the FBG page on ADP--every site seems to have Gibbs significantly higher than Montgomery. When you say "Some sharks out there," what does that mean? 1 draft? I don't think the internet/the fantasy community views it this way.

-David Montgomery 4.10
-Jahmyr Gibbs 6.4

Where is this from?

I've done several mocks on Sleeper, Yahoo, ESPN. I've done 20+ Best balls on Underdog.

If you go look at the FBG page on ADP--every site seems to have Gibbs significantly higher than Montgomery. When you say "Some sharks out there," what does that mean? 1 draft? I don't think the internet/the fantasy community views it this way.
I think @Joe Bryant in the past has requested we not direct link other FF sites, maybe that's not true but out of respect since he pays the freight on the boards here, I try and not say the names of other sites, I give big hints at where I find this stuff.

How many sites have ADP and the word "Sharks" in their name?
Because this is the Shark Pool I totally understand if there is confusion.

It wasn't hard for me to discover the information, others have links with more up to date ADP, all good :suds:

Last edited:

-David Montgomery 4.10
-Jahmyr Gibbs 6.4

Where is this from?

I think @Joe Bryant in the past has requested we not direct link other FF sites, maybe that's not true but out of respect since he pays the freight on the boards here, I try and not say the names of other sites, I give big hints at where I find this stuff.

It wasn't hard for me to discover the information, others have links with more up to date ADP, all good :suds:
I'm assuming you mean D-sharks and looked it up myself. That data is pretty messed up, and I'm assuming very few 10 team PPR drafts. If you swap it to 12 team PPR (where surely they have collected much much more data from), they have Montgomery at 7.03 and Gibbs at 4.02.

-David Montgomery 4.10
-Jahmyr Gibbs 6.4

Where is this from?

I'm assuming you mean D-sharks and looked it up myself. That data is pretty messed up, and I'm assuming very few 10 team PPR drafts. If you swap it to 12 team PPR (where surely they have collected much much more data from), they have Montgomery at 7.03 and Gibbs at 4.02.

@Deamon that’s a nicer explain than my OK Grandpa MoP that’s enough internet for today…

3rd/4th Rd, doesn't matter, he's coming aboard the SS-MoP and I do compete in a lot of 10-team redrafts with different rules, many FF Managers like having ample players on the waiver wire. We charge per WW transaction in ALL of my 10-team leagues, QB-2RBs-2-3WR-TE-2 Flex, pretty fun redrafts for me over the years. 12-teams are fun as well, I do those too, not as many starting RBs,.

10-team redrafts, Studs win, period. Now those studs for 2023 might not be what we saw in 2022, that's the mystery or rub to it all.

Don't look down on me :p
MoP don't do dynasty, everyone should know that by now.
I am a redraft specialist and I like it that way

I am a redraft specialist
Not if you're taking Montgomery over Gibbs you're not. :ROFLMAO:
I was using it to make a point, BRob is a top 3 pick, he went 4 spots ahead of Gibbs in the NFL Draft.
RBs drafted as high as Gibbs don't usually sit around gathering dust unless he has a poor camp, can't learn the playbook, can't pick up the blitz, and I haven't heard that any of that is true.
It wouldn't shock me if Gibbs ends up with stats somewhat similar to Robinson at the end of the season. He seems like a bargain right now.

That's all I'm saying, Gibbs is the type of RB that gives me confidence to go after a WR, perhaps Kelce or Mahomes early and find a gem at RB in the 3rd/4th wherever you feel like it's the right time to pull the trigger. The folks who get stuck on the end and wait forever to pick, they are the types that might jump all over Gibbs at the 3/4 turn. Especially if they went WR-WR on the 1/2 turn.
And I never said I was taking Monty, you can insult me or put me down but I think most see my point and I'm not offended by you, happy to actually explain it a little more in detail
Cheers!

Last edited:
No Technical jargon, No Goff targets from 2022, no deep analysis.

-Old RB regime wasn't working out, they shipped Swift to Philly and wished him luck while he can still earn a decent 2nd contract and also parted ways with Jamaal Williams who was a Green Bay Packer prior and Williams is now really a journeyman that they found a use for near the goal line.

-They draft Gibbs 12th overall, let that sink in for those running to the podium to take Bijan Robinson Top 3 this year and Gibbs is falling to what round again?
-He's a lot higher on the MoP Redraft list than others, I do think that is about to change as more folks realize the situation he's landed on.
-Have you ever watched Montgomery play when he was a Chicago Bear? He always looked worse than Khalil Herbert and at times woefully outplayed but they still kept giving him the ball, I don't think Dan Campbell will make the same mistake.
-Sure, it might take 2-3 weeks for Gibbs to earn the trust of the coaches and prove he can be a 3-down back, pick up the blitz and not get his starting QB killed.

Did I mention he was drafted in the 1st Round?
Did you see Detroit play last year? I tried to watch almost every game and learned a lot from folks like @BobbyLayne about the Lions, the scheme they try and run, I think Gibbs will fit in perfect there and the coaching staff has a complete plan to ensure he succeeds for them.

If Gibbs has even 1 big run in the 1st couple preseason games, his stock will rise to an uncomfortable draft spot for some folks, but not MoP.
Gibbs will be a weekly starting RB on most FF teams.

Last year the "old" RB regime did work out pretty good.

Swift 99 carries, 542 yards, 5.5 YPC, 5 TDs. 46 receptions for 360, 7.8 YPR.

Williams 260 carries for 1066 yards. 4.1 YPC. 17 TDs. 26 receptions for 350.

Pretty good combo. Williams wanted more $$$$ and was impatient. Swift fell into disfavor for whatever reason that was never really disclosed.

I have mentioned this before but was not a fan of trading Swift to the Eagles. Wish they would have sent him to the AFC somewhere.

I think they wanted to give the ball to Swift more but then he got hurt and I think they realized he is not a guy who can stay healthy with a sizable amount of touches. So they leaned on Jamaal and it worked. I think they still want the lightning part of the RB backfield to get more touches than what Swift did so that's why they went after Gibbs to replace him.

I think they wanted to give the ball to Swift more but then he got hurt and I think they realized he is not a guy who can stay healthy with a sizable amount of touches. So they leaned on Jamaal and it worked. I think they still want the lightning part of the RB backfield to get more touches than what Swift did so that's why they went after Gibbs to replace him.
I think that makes sense. Also rumored that Swift ran soft and unnecessarily avoided contact. We are left to speculate as neither the coaches or the beat writers have offered an explanation why they traded Swift or why his use was limited.

Agree with Bobby Layne and wish that Swift had not gone to Eagles because of his potential.

@Ministry of Pain you got me all excited. I may make a move on this guy in my auction. It really comes down to how he compares to James Cook as we get closer to the draft, maybe I can get him. I probably wouldn't get both,so either or for 10-15%% of my budget. I do like the guys that the team invests heavily in. Never a bad strategy in FS.

I think that makes sense. Also rumored that Swift ran soft and unnecessarily avoided contact. We are left to speculate as neither the coaches or the beat writers have offered an explanation why they traded Swift or why his use was limited.

Agree with Bobby Layne and wish that Swift had not gone to Eagles because of his potential.
Over the last two years every time Swift managed more than 8 carries in a game, he averaged 22 points PPR. The problem was he only had more than 8 carries 11 times. The Lions think Gibbs is better than Swift. Gibbs just needs to stay healthy.

@Ministry of Pain you got me all excited. I may make a move on this guy in my auction. It really comes down to how he compares to James Cook as we get closer to the draft, maybe I can get him. I probably wouldn't get both,so either or for 10-15%% of my budget. I do like the guys that the team invests heavily in. Never a bad strategy in FS.
It should be noted that Detroit did give Monty a decent size contract by current standards so I'm not oblivious that Monty will play a decent role in the offense especially early in the season but my tea leaves say that Gibbs will make it obvious he should be on the field. I thought Khalil Herbert made it obvious in Chicago several times before he fell to injuries. Monty is pretty durable.

3yr/$18M with $11M guaranteed, $4M signing bonus
But it doesn't shake my enthusiasm and feelings of optimism for Gibbs.
All 32 Teams have some bad contracts, much worse than what was given to Monty.
And the Lions watched Monty twice a year for 4 years, they knew what they were getting during free agency before the draft.

And let's not forget the Lions are down a potential star WR for 6 weeks, they might need a pop on offense, Gibbs had quite a few catches, logged 103 in less than 3 seasons.
And Gibbs shared time at Bama, it's not a 1 RB system typically,

It should be noted that Detroit did give Monty a decent size contract by current standards so I'm not oblivious that Monty will play a decent role in the offense especially early in the season but my tea leaves say that Gibbs will make it obvious he should be on the field. I thought Khalil Herbert made it obvious in Chicago several times before he fell to injuries. Monty is pretty durable.

3yr/$18M with $11M guaranteed, $4M signing bonus
But it doesn't shake my enthusiasm and feelings of optimism for Gibbs.
All 32 Teams have some bad contracts, much worse than what was given to Monty.
And the Lions watched Monty twice a year for 4 years, they knew what they were getting during free agency before the draft.

And let's not forget the Lions are down a potential star WR for 6 weeks, they might need a pop on offense, Gibbs had quite a few catches, logged 103 in less than 3 seasons.
And Gibbs shared time at Bama, it's not a 1 RB system typically,
Couldn't agree more, and like you said in an earlier post it would not suprise me if he posted similar numbers to Bijan at end of the season. Less rushing yards, and maybe a little more receptions/yards. Who knows about TDs, but detroit being a top offense makes it closer than you'd think.

Besides splitting last year at RB (He had 41% of the RB carries on the team), their offensive line was not that good. I am excited to see what he can do in the Deandre Swift role, with that offensive line, and just being in a high powered offense where they find creative ways to get him the ball in space. The combo of Gibbs and ASB is going to be really good. Drafting him and ASB everywhere I can.

Gibbs exploded downfield for a 16-yard touchdown. There was a flag on that play, but it’s unclear what the call was.
Going by this thread, I think the penalty was for Being Too Awesome.

he knows how to get open

Update from joint practice
I honestly hope they don't give him the ball in pre-season. If he busts a 70 yd TD in pre-season his value is over lol... don't want the hype to get out of control, his price is so good right now...

Last edited:
I have Monty ahead of Gibbs. don't see Gibbs as a between the tackle type guy. Monty is a solid runner, durable, & can catch. hope I'm right as I'm getting Monty 7th rd in everything redraft. If I'm wrong on that pick it's easily recoverable.
cheers.

I have Monty ahead of Gibbs. don't see Gibbs as a between the tackle type guy. Monty is a solid runner, durable, & can catch. hope I'm right as I'm getting Monty 7th rd in everything redraft. If I'm wrong on that pick it's easily recoverable.
cheers.
That's a great POV and works well with another arc I want to thread into all of this.
There's a pretty good size hole at the WR2/3 spots for the first 6 weeks, Gibbs could easily be a starting RB if he's involved in the passing game so I want to play Nostradamus for a minute and run some potential box scores

Gibbs 110 total yds, 4-5 cacthes, TD=22 in PPR
Monty 17/70 yds and a TD plus a catch or two=15 in PPR

I can make a case where both will be relevant but I see Gibbs with a much higher ceiling but you make a decent case for possibly grabbing both RBs. If you have to reach a little early to get Gibbs, why not get Monty in the 7th and have a rock solid RB option each week, it's possible one misses a game or two, making the other RB worth even more. Gibbs was pretty reliable in college his Junior and Senior Year but split time at Alabama which rotates their RBs.

Good post, Monty in the 7th is interesting.

cheers.
Yeah, it would really suck for fantasy purposes if he was only used like Alvin Kamara or Tiki Barber back in the day.

cheers.
That's a great POV and works well with another arc I want to thread into all of this.
There's a pretty good size hole at the WR2/3 spots for the first 6 weeks, Gibbs could easily be a starting RB if he's involved in the passing game so I want to play Nostradamus for a minute and run some potential box scores

Gibbs 110 total yds, 4-5 cacthes, TD=22 in PPR
Monty 17/70 yds and a TD plus a catch or two=15 in PPR

I can make a case where both will be relevant but I see Gibbs with a much higher ceiling but you make a decent case for possibly grabbing both RBs. If you have to reach a little early to get Gibbs, why not get Monty in the 7th and have a rock solid RB option each week, it's possible one misses a game or two, making the other RB worth even more. Gibbs was pretty reliable in college his Junior and Senior Year but split time at Alabama which rotates their RBs.

Good post, Monty in the 7th is interesting.

Just for reference.

Jahmyr Gibbs is 5'9" 200lbs (BMI - 29.5)

Players with similar (Height/Weight) with very successful careers and good workloads

Christian McCaffrey 5'11" 205lbs (BMI-28.6)
Chris Johnson- 5'11" 203lbs (BMI- 28.3)
Alvin Kamara 5'10" 215lbs (BMI-30.8)
Tiki Barber 5'10" 205lbs (BMI-29.4)
Warrick Dunn 5'9" 187lbs (BMI-27.6)
Maurice Jones-Drew- 5'7" 210lbs (BMI- 32.9)
Brian Westbrook- 5'10" 203lbs (BMI- 29.1)
Lesean McCoy- 5'11" 210lbs (BMI-29.3)

On average, an NFL running back has a BMI of 30.98, while college running backs weigh 210 pounds with a BMI of 28.5.

I personally think he will be fine in between the tackles. Not saying he is going to carry the ball 20+ times, but I think he'd be fine with 12-15 carries

Tiki Barber had the closest BMI to GIbbs from this sample, had a very similar skill set, and Dan Campbell has already compared him to Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne.

2000 16 games 213 att 1006 yards 8 TDs 70 rec 719 yards 1 TD (Splitting with Ron Dayne) 261.5 ff pts (half ppr)
2001 14 games 166 att 865 yards 4 TDs 72 rec 577 yards 0 TDs (Splitting with Ron Dayne) 204.2 ff pts (half ppr)
2002 16 games 304 att 1387 yards 11 TDs 69 rec 579 yards 0 TDs 297.5 ff pts (half ppr)
2003 16 games 278 att 1216 yards 2 TDs 69 rec 461 yards 1 TD 220.2 ff pts (half ppr)
2004 16 games 322 att 1518 yards 13 TDs 52 rec 578 yards 2 TDs 395.6 ff pts (half ppr)
2005 16 games 357 att 1860 yards 9 TDs 54 rec 530 yards 2 TDs 332 ff pts (half ppr)
2006 16 games 327 att 1662 yards 5 TDs 58 rec 465 yards 0 TDs 271.7 ff pts (half ppr)

Do I think he will ever eclipse 300 attempts in this NFL ? No way. Do I think he will ever eclipse 250 carries? Probably not. Do I think he can carry between 200-250 carries? Absolutely

Last edited:
cheers.
Monty is a great value. I wouldn't put him ahead of Gibbs for PPR though just for the upside Gibbs has. RBs drafted as high as Gibbs was have a really high hit rate for fantasy.

cheers.
Monty is a great value. I wouldn't put him ahead of Gibbs for PPR though just for the upside Gibbs has. RBs drafted as high as Gibbs was have a really high hit rate for fantasy.

With a pick like Monty or (slightly earlier) James Connor, the upside is you’re getting some value, a player who will match his previous production. You’re hoping to slightly outperform ADP.

With Gibbs, if he hits, you’re landing a guy with RB1 potential. Given enough volume, possibly Top 5. That’s league winning risk/reward.

If you miss getting Monty, it’s not gonna kill ya. If you miss hitting on a league winner, that’s a different kind of angst.
Yeah, Monty is hopefully providing a steady starter at value. Like you said, a James Conner is a good comp. With Gibbs, he's a Breece Hall like gamble. It could backfire and the touches aren't there but you could also be looking at a guy in the convo for the 1.01 pick next year. Could not agree more with your assessment.

@Deamon that’s a nicer explain than my OK Grandpa MoP that’s enough internet for today…
Or taking shots at a site that has provided some interesting content at times but isn't really a great source for pulling ADP data from compared to others.

I remember arguing with people there the merits of rostering Nick Goings or not. Neener neener! =P

Or taking shots at a site that has provided some interesting content at times but isn't really a great source for pulling ADP data from compared to others.

I remember arguing with people there the merits of rostering Nick Goings or not. Neener neener! =P

Back in the days of you never bench Stephen Davis
he literally blew up everytime you would sit him for 150 yds and a TD :ROFLMAO:

Lions RB Jahmyr Gibbs had six carries for 19 yards and an 18-yard catch in his preseason debut vs the Giants.
Gibbs started and played every snap before leaving in the second quarter. The Lions offense struggled under third-string QB Nate Sudfeld, with Sudfeld getting intercepted on the first play and producing a field goal in three series. The Lions have plans to feature Gibbs, who worked as a three-down back in his debut, but a co-starter role for David Montgomery is a threat to his early-season touches.

Graham Barfield
Jahmyr Gibbs didn't have any running lanes behind the Lions backup OL, but he looked so solid in protection. Went 4-for-4 in pass pro identifying the free rusher + squaring up.

Gibbs will mainly be running routes so this is minor, but coaches will absolutely love this
That’s not as “minor” as they make it. Sure, he’ll mostly be running routes but if his pass blocking wasn’t good, it surely could cost him snaps.

Graham Barfield
Jahmyr Gibbs didn't have any running lanes behind the Lions backup OL, but he looked so solid in protection. Went 4-for-4 in pass pro identifying the free rusher + squaring up.

Gibbs will mainly be running routes so this is minor, but coaches will absolutely love this
That’s not as “minor” as they make it. Sure, he’ll mostly be running routes but if his pass blocking wasn’t good, it surely could cost him snaps.

That’s true for all their skill positions. LaPorta and Jamo got in some good blocks last night. Trust me, Dan Campbell notices when players block. Lord help you if you don’t.

"No block, No Rock" is the Lion's motto.

Am I nuts to be considering him over Jacobs, Stevenson or Etienne in a PPR redraft? Between contract issues with Jacobs and NE kicking tires on another RB I actually think Gibbs might be the safest bet in PPR? Or am I over thinking this?

Am I nuts to be considering him over Jacobs, Stevenson or Etienne in a PPR redraft? Between contract issues with Jacobs and NE kicking tires on another RB I actually think Gibbs might be the safest bet in PPR? Or am I over thinking this?
In my opinion, yes, that would be kinda nuts in redraft. No RB NE may (or may not, its very possible they do nothing) is as big a workload threat as Montgomery is for Gibbs, Jacobs has zero leverage, and is highly likely to be playing week 1, and Etienne is in a just as good (arguably better) offense, with a year of track record.

Personally, I have them:

Jacobs
Stevenson

Etienne

Gibbs

Users who are viewing this thread