What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kerryon Johnson, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

That’s pretty lazy even if you don’t like the guy 
It is f’n arrogant...whoever wrote/said that is a jerk...if you don't like him that is fine but provide a mature and thoughtful analysis why instead of sitting in your basement drinking a Mountain Dew and thinking you are the next Bill Walsh...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is f’n arrogant...whoever wrote/said that is a jerk...if you don't like him that is fine but provide a mature and thoughtful analysis why instead of sitting in your basement drinking a Mountain Dew and thinking you are the next Bill Walsh...
:headbang:

I don't get it. This is about as good of a situation that a rookie RB could walk into. It was discussed as such all off-season.

The discussion around him sounds like people that disliked him in the first place but now can get specific about it.
well part of it is the lions fan mentality, traded up for him seemed unnecessary, especially with Guice sliding PAST their pick they already had. 

Two, dealing with the Patriots? come on, like Quinn & matty patty cant get something done with anyone else? 

Lions have lots of holes to fill, LB, Dline, TE, yes RB might have been one, but with Blount, Ameer, Theo, they have tons of more pressing needs. 

Kerryon looks to be a potential deal in fantasy. I just listened to the Rotoworld draft recap. They went over every guy drafted and their fantasy impact. When they got to Kerryon, they said he wasn't worth discussing. 
In the flip side, Waldman loves him as a player and thinks he’s a great fit with the Lions!  :thumbup:

In the flip side, Waldman loves him as a player and thinks he’s a great fit with the Lions!  :thumbup:
I put him in the same category as Royce Freeman. They don't make the big highlight plays like Guice or Penny, but they are just smooth skilled runners who have shown the ability to consistently be successful. 

well part of it is the lions fan mentality, traded up for him seemed unnecessary, especially with Guice sliding PAST their pick they already had. 

Two, dealing with the Patriots? come on, like Quinn & matty patty cant get something done with anyone else? 

Lions have lots of holes to fill, LB, Dline, TE, yes RB might have been one, but with Blount, Ameer, Theo, they have tons of more pressing needs. 
Except Blount doesn't improve the part of the team that everyone said was one of their most pressing needs - a crew that already included Ameer and Theo. :whoosh:

And again...

Rotoworld breaking news first = good

Rotoworld analysis = not worth discussing

Running style reminds me of Latavis Murray but Johnson uses his stiff arm better.  

I imagine if EBF was here, he would be saying that he doesn't have a chance because his BMI is not going to be anywhere close to the ideal for the position. Got to admit 213 is rather light for a upright style running back. I would be worried that he will have a Chris Brown type of career. 

Sounds like the Rotoworld draft recap isn't worth discussing.
Wtf does anyone know until they start playing games? If guice went to Washington in rd 1 people would be all over him, but he goes to Washington with their 2nd 2nd round pick and people drop him to the end of the 1st. Pre draft he’s on par with fournette, post draft he’s a 2 down banger with laziness issues. I don’t see it as much of a reach, and it’s debatable whether or not he would have been there later. 

Running style reminds me of Latavis Murray but Johnson uses his stiff arm better.  

I imagine if EBF was here, he would be saying that he doesn't have a chance because his BMI is not going to be anywhere close to the ideal for the position. Got to admit 213 is rather light for a upright style running back. I would be worried that he will have a Chris Brown type of career. 
One thing about Johnson is he does not have an upright running style. His leverage at contact is excellent.

My only real question with him is how much he will be used as a receiver or not.

One thing about Johnson is he does not have an upright running style. His leverage at contact is excellent.

My only real question with him is how much he will be used as a receiver or not.
People see different things obviously.  For the record, Lance Zierlein agrees with me. 

People see different things obviously.  For the record, Lance Zierlein agrees with me. 
hmm

He does I just don't agree based on the games I watched.

Johnson still gets a 5.83 grade from Zierlien. Penny is 5.85 Michel is 5.91, Jones is 6.01 Guice 6.14

He is Zierliens 6th ranked RB and he went 6th in the NFL draft.

cockroach said:
Kerryon, "Nothing to see here" Johnson...

Is the Rotoworld endorsed Berman nickname. 
One fantasy analyst called him Kerryawn Johnson. I hope he is wrong obviously. 

Worth noting that the Lions fired their terrrible O line coach this off season and had an absurd amount of injuries on the line during the season. They have serious draft capital and FA signings invested in the line now, including this years 1st round choice Ragnow,  and will be hoping for a major improvement in the run game 

Worth noting that the Lions fired their terrrible O line coach this off season and had an absurd amount of injuries on the line during the season. They have serious draft capital and FA signings invested in the line now, including this years 1st round choice Ragnow,  and will be hoping for a major improvement in the run game 
The Lions offensive line no doubt was not at full strength with Decker missing 8 games and Wagner also missing 3 games. TJ Lang also missed 3 games.

The Lions drafted Ragnow with pick 20 of the draft who should be an upgrade at center. They also added Tyrell Crosby who was in my opinion and from some overall list of rankings as a guide the last of a third tier of inside offensive line players remaining. So they potentially got 2 linemen that can help them in addition to the 3 veteran players returning healthy this season. Glasglow maybe not a great player but as the 5th starter he is not bad with the other four linemen quite a bit better than him. They have some depth at the position now.

The new coach seemed to prioritize making the offensive line stronger and bringing in Johnson to give them a consistent running game for a change. I wouldn't feel as positive about Johnson with a team with less talent on their offensive line.

The lions with a run game would be a formidable team. Run game make the pass game better, makes the defense better. Protects the lead better. 
This is the unspoken grain of hope that Lions fans cling to ( I certainly do ). Stafford with good protection and a fruitful run game is our most likely route to going deep in the playoffs in the coming years. 

I’m excited to see if it can fall into place on the run game front with Kerryon being a success 

The Lions offensive line no doubt was not at full strength with Decker missing 8 games and Wagner also missing 3 games. TJ Lang also missed 3 games.

The Lions drafted Ragnow with pick 20 of the draft who should be an upgrade at center. They also added Tyrell Crosby who was in my opinion and from some overall list of rankings as a guide the last of a third tier of inside offensive line players remaining. So they potentially got 2 linemen that can help them in addition to the 3 veteran players returning healthy this season. Glasglow maybe not a great player but as the 5th starter he is not bad with the other four linemen quite a bit better than him. They have some depth at the position now.

The new coach seemed to prioritize making the offensive line stronger and bringing in Johnson to give them a consistent running game for a change. I wouldn't feel as positive about Johnson with a team with less talent on their offensive line.
I think Glasgow is pretty darn good, but you’re right about the line. If they’re healthy they should be a plus. Guess roberts is the starting te? Wilson? Let’s hope Johnson is better than the other late 1st/2nd round backs like Kevin jones, mikel leshoure, Jahvid best, Ameer Abdullah. I mean, we haven’t had a run game since mooch decided to run James Stewart in the preseason one too many times. 

I'm not excited about a RB who averages less than 5.0 per carry and does not seem explosive. Looks like a grinder.  Adding to the sorrow giving up a high draft choice to move up.  Multiplying my distrust is Quinn playing buddy-buddy with the Patriots. With Quinn and now Patricia and now the Patriot/Lion trades we on the surface look like we are becoming a Pats minor league team.

To me trying to emulate another franchise as a whole doesn't work. You need to become your own person develop your identity find what works for you.

I'm not excited about a RB who averages less than 5.0 per carry and does not seem explosive. Looks like a grinder.  Adding to the sorrow giving up a high draft choice to move up.  Multiplying my distrust is Quinn playing buddy-buddy with the Patriots. With Quinn and now Patricia and now the Patriot/Lion trades we on the surface look like we are becoming a Pats minor league team.

To me trying to emulate another franchise as a whole doesn't work. You need to become your own person develop your identity find what works for you.
its the hoodies collusion, seems to be trading a lot with Detroit and SF, remember when Pioli was in KC, bunch of weirdo trades with them too...Matt Cassell.....etc....

Do what now?

I agree that his 4.8  YPC is a concern but I think a big part of that is he is a workhorse in the SEC. He was was the focus of every defense he went against. As for explosiveness, Kerryon tested out as an athlete with a ton of burst at the combine. His profile was actually very similar to Kamara. 

Another caution flag.  Johnson did all the drills at the combine except the 40. Possible conclusion is that he feared he would run poorly.  Trains and waits for his pro day and runs what's reported as 4.54 and 4.58.  Many think that pro-day results generally are a tad faster than the combine.

For me I'm not liking his avoiding the 40 at the combine. It worked for him because he's going to get paid which understandably is his priority but he may be a 4.6 back who may be somewhat light for that speed.

Another caution flag.  Johnson did all the drills at the combine except the 40. Possible conclusion is that he feared he would run poorly.  Trains and waits for his pro day and runs what's reported as 4.54 and 4.58.  Many think that pro-day results generally are a tad faster than the combine.

For me I'm not liking his avoiding the 40 at the combine. It worked for him because he's going to get paid which understandably is his priority but he may be a 4.6 back who may be somewhat light for that speed.
Playerprofiler has him at 4.57 (they add a few tenths of a second to pro day times since they historically do run a bit low compared to the combine). Kamara ran a 4.56, Bell ran a 4.60, Ingram ran a 4.62. Of course we would prefer him to be faster, but I think he is fast enough. 

The lions with a run game would be a formidable team. Run game make the pass game better, makes the defense better. Protects the lead better. 
as a guy that lives in Michigan so ends up watching the lions quite a bit, the only time the lions end up with a lead is with a minute left in the 4th so don't need to worry about this much lol. 

I think he could end up producing like joqiue bell did tho and I'm sure you would be pretty happy with that

as a guy that lives in Michigan so ends up watching the lions quite a bit, the only time the lions end up with a lead is with a minute left in the 4th so don't need to worry about this much lol. 

I think he could end up producing like joqiue bell did tho and I'm sure you would be pretty happy with that
Caldwell’s tenure was maddening. The first couple years, we’d start games out and get out to a 20’pt lead by halftime. Then we’d take the foot off the gas, and slowly let the other team back into it, lose the lead late for the loss or a comeback win. Last year we’d get down early and have some ridiculous comeback late. As a fellow Michigander I can honestly say I’ve never seen Stafford have a play action threat. Comparing Johnson to joique? I don’t see it, and while I appreciate joiques effort and professionalism I think Kerryon is a way better athlete. 

Yes, lets put his 40 time under a microscope - analyze the psychology of it even, and not even mention the tape.

No I wouldn't be happy at all with that. 

Initially I was bummed they traded up for him as I didn’t feel they had that luxury. I watched his first matchup against Georgia and came away thinking he was the best player on the field. He played tough against Alabama as well which many greats have not done. He is a good all around back that can stay on the field all three downs. He may not have game breaking speed but he has well enough acceleration to get good chunk plays. Here is hoping he brings consistency to our run game. I am warming up to the pick.

Playerprofiler has him at 4.57 (they add a few tenths of a second to pro day times since they historically do run a bit low compared to the combine). Kamara ran a 4.56, Bell ran a 4.60, Ingram ran a 4.62. Of course we would prefer him to be faster, but I think he is fast enough. 
But only Kamara's weight is close to Johnson's with Kamara being 2" shorter.  So running 4.57 at 6' 213 is not very impressive.  Both Bell and Ingram are 230 lbs plus

I get the comparison to Levon Bell and Matt Forte in that he is a patient runner and likes to set his blocks.  But he is built more like Demarco Murray and for the record Murray ran a 4.41 at the combine. 

But only Kamara's weight is close to Johnson's with Kamara being 2" shorter.  So running 4.57 at 6' 213 is not very impressive.  Both Bell and Ingram are 230 lbs plus

I get the comparison to Levon Bell and in Matt Forte in that is a patient runner and like to set his blocks.  But he is built more like Demarco Murray and for the record Murray ran a 4.41 at the combine. 
I agree that the biggest worry is his lack of size for a workhorse type back.

Those are positive but all three of them averaged more ypc in college than Johnson's 4.8 ( Bell 5.0, Ingram 5.7, Kamara 6.2)

Those are positive but all three of them averaged more ypc in college than Johnson's 4.8 ( Bell 5.0, Ingram 5.7, Kamara 6.2)
Yards per carry isn't a very good way to look at a RBs future success running the ball.

While I would agree that ypc is better than just raw yardage it still isn't a very predictive stat. Levels of competition in college vary and some sort of arbitrary cut off is going to have as many exceptions as there are examples of RB at that threshold not being very good in the NFL.

In my view ypc is a stat that doesn't become very useful until you have something like 600 rushing attempts over 3 seasons or more to judge it by and a lot of RB in college won't get that many.

You are definitely splitting hairs if .2 ypc of Bell makes a difference in your view.

Yes, lets put his 40 time under a microscope - analyze the psychology of it even, and not even mention the tape.
To be honest I don't know enough to analyze tape. In the past I looked at some of the youtube highlights and many of them look like stars but didn't turn out that way.

I have had some success though in eliminating players  based on stats and injury history and that kind of thing. Not so much in identifying who will be a star. 

For my taste based on injury history, ypc and not running at the combine I'm leery of him and would stay away.

Caldwell’s tenure was maddening. The first couple years, we’d start games out and get out to a 20’pt lead by halftime. Then we’d take the foot off the gas, and slowly let the other team back into it, lose the lead late for the loss or a comeback win. Last year we’d get down early and have some ridiculous comeback late. As a fellow Michigander I can honestly say I’ve never seen Stafford have a play action threat. Comparing Johnson to joique? I don’t see it, and while I appreciate joiques effort and professionalism I think Kerryon is a way better athlete. 
I wasn't comparing their style of play, I'm saying I could see him putting up the same type of stats which if I remember right were good but not amazing and I'd think if Johnson did do as good as bells best season you would be quite happy.

No I wouldn't be happy at all with that. 
I didn't look it up but I'm pretty sure he had a couple of years of over 1000 yards total and double digit tds. Not everyone can be a superstar/stud. Most people and I'm sure all lions fans would be elated if he produced similar stats. But yeah you keep hoping for 1500 total yards and 30 tds because lots of RBs produce like that.

edit- added stats since I had some time to look them up

414 rushing 3 tds 52 catches 485 yards the first year 

650 and 8, 53 for 547

860 and 7, 34 for 322 and then the next year was when he got hurt or just started not being as good and he still put up 600 total yards

yeah sorry these are terrible

Users who are viewing this thread