What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Latavius Murray, BUF (1 Viewer)

Eminence said:
I said he's 6'3, 230 lbs, and built like a bean pole. And that he runs upright.

You said he's 'bigger than some NFL LBers'.

Who's being subjective?
You're kidding right? He's awkawrd. Not a natural runner of the ball. He's going to get destroyed vs NFL LBs. He looks like a WR trying to play RB.
Unless he's come back with a built up lower body, ShahBucks has this nailed.

He reminds me of Patterson a little bit.
Unsurprisingly, you missed the context here. He was repeating back to me things that I have said...so it seems you agree with ME. Which makes me question my entire stance here.

I said he's 6'3, 230 lbs, and built like a bean pole. And that he runs upright.

You said he's 'bigger than some NFL LBers'.

Who's being subjective?
You're kidding right? He's awkawrd. Not a natural runner of the ball. He's going to get destroyed vs NFL LBs. He looks like a WR trying to play RB.
Unless he's come back with a built up lower body, ShahBucks has this nailed.He reminds me of Patterson a little bit.
Unsurprisingly, you missed the context here. He was repeating back to me things that I have said...so it seems you agree with ME. Which makes me question my entire stance here.
He squats a $#! $load in one of his videos....
I'm not one for grading how another mans legs look. I wanted to post a link to this video domvin spoke of. I couldn't find it for the life of me today. Whatever...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the Raiders don't believe he's a potential starting RB either.
Did you honestly think that they would go into the season with the unproven Murray as the only backup or competition for the injury prone DMC?

I think this doesn't say much of anything either way about Murray, outside of that he remains a long term project (hopefully for his owners).

MJD is bad news for those desperate for points in September, excellent news for those that want mid-Oct-Dec points.

MJD is bad news for those desperate for points in September, excellent news for those that want mid-Oct-Dec points.
I mean, it's unlikely that both him and McFadden get hurt. I like Murray but these are obvious roadblocks for him.

Rotoworld:

Raiders coach Dennis Allen mentioned Latavius Murray after Kory Sheets and FB Marcel Reece when discussing what he believes is "great running back depth" in a Wednesday night Sirius XM interview.
The Raiders weren't thrilled with size-speed freak Murray during his rookie training camp, and their offseason moves suggest they aren't counting on him for a big 2014 role. They re-signed Darren McFadden, added Maurice Jones-Drew, and signed Sheets out of the CFL. Murray was a 2013 sixth-round pick.

Source: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Raiders OC Greg Olsen stated Wednesday that he sees second-year RB Latavius Murray as possessing "the biggest upside" in Oakland's running back corps.
"We’re looking for big things from Latavius Murray right now, coming off the foot injury," said Olsen, a power run-game proponent. "He’s shown, to me, the biggest upside right now in what we’ve seen thus far, if he can stay healthy." Murray stands 6-foot-3, 223 with sub-4.4 jets and a 10-foot-4 broad jump. Behind short-term stopgaps Maurice Jones-Drew and Darren McFadden, 24-year-old Murray should receive every opportunity to succeed if he shows well in practice.

Source: CSN Bay Area

Rotoworld:

Raiders OC Greg Olson says second-year RB Latavius Murray has had a "real good camp" after battling a foot injury as a rookie.
The foot injury cost Murray his entire rookie year. "He had foot issues and we were like, this looks like a totally different guy than the one we watched on tape in college," said Olson. "It looked as if he was running on bunions or something. He had real noticeable foot issues. And we haven’t had any remnants of that right now. he looks healthy, he looks strong. He’s having a real good camp." Murray is competing for the No. 3 back role with Kory Sheets.

Source: Oakland Tribune

Looked pretty decent last night from what I could tell against the second team. I'll say this much, he has size & speed and some niftyness through the hole. But he wasnt a standout last night. The 4th string guy had some nice burst, but was quite small and playing against the worst the Detroit defense had to offer.

Meanwhile, MJD and DMac looked very slow against the Lions 1st teamers.

Overall, the recipe is in place for Murray to be a pretty nice late sleeper/flyer.

He has the right guys ahead of him for him to, at a minimum, have the potential to be a later season injury replacement or late bye week guy. The team would be very pleased to move on to a younger late round 2nd year-contract at HB in 2015 vs the high priced veterans. The upside is somewhat limited in 2014 despite having MJD/Dmac with their injury history; having two in front of him means that he has a low chance of becoming a workhorse of any sort this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another nice outing. Big and quick. Light on his feet.

Carr and Murray will be the Raiders starting backfield in 2015 and wont sniff the field in the 4th preseason game of 2015. Unfortunately being in the Raiders starting backfield isnt necessarily fantasy gold...

Another nice outing. Big and quick. Light on his feet.

Carr and Murray will be the Raiders starting backfield in 2015 and wont sniff the field in the 4th preseason game of 2015. Unfortunately being in the Raiders starting backfield isnt necessarily fantasy gold...
additional items here http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Raiders-vs-Seahawks-Postgame-Quotes/06ace90f-4197-48a1-bb5e-591c12dae23f:

COACH ALLEN

On Latavius Murray: “I really like what I saw out of Latavius Murray and I’ve liked what I’ve seen out of Latavius Murray all of camp. I think that was very positive to see and I think with him, along with MJD [Maurice Jones-Drew] and Darren McFadden, I think that’s a pretty good backfield."

RB LATAVIUS MURRAY

Q: How did it feel getting started quickly today?

Murray: “We always want to start early, start fast and set the tone. I definitely think we did that and responded to the touchdown.”

Q: Did that first scoring drive give you confidence?

Murray: “It meant a lot. I definitely wanted to go in there against those first-team guys. That was big for the offense and definitely showed I could go out there and compete with those guys.”

Q: Talk about the running back competition going on right now.

Murray: “Without a doubt, it's a good healthy competition, but I'm here to compete with those guys. I am here so that they can make me better and at the same time I can make them better. And they've been doing that.”

What do we think of him? Pre-season reports came back positive that he's explosive and had the highest potential of all the backs they're carrying. McFadden looks done. MJD had hand surgery or something. How long before they turn to him? Any insights from the locals?

I think that he should probably be in the same conversation as Crowell and Taliaferro. Guys in somewhat murky situations, but some chance of becoming the main guy this year.

The only thing I don't like about him is he looks like he has quicksand in his feet when he starts running. Not being negative on the guy but with explosive NFL Defenses shooting through the gaps....he won't have time to showcase that world class speed and athleticism because he is getting stopped behind the line of scrimmage. Brandon Jacobs is a comparable and I believe Jacobs is the better player...

Adding him and hoping MJD is sat out this week. MJD and DMC look finished and I believe this guy could potentially burst onto scene with a solid game and at least earn himself a part in the RBBC and maybe even take the starting job if he produces. This could be his chance.

I'm excited to see him get his chance. I stashed him last year before the season ended. When the raiders picked up MJD and signed McFadden again I thought he would be droppable. Decided against it and now he's one McFadden injury away from significant time. Hell he might push McFadden out of the way and take the starting job over this year. Stranger things have happened.

Adding him and hoping MJD is sat out this week. MJD and DMC look finished and I believe this guy could potentially burst onto scene with a solid game and at least earn himself a part in the RBBC and maybe even take the starting job if he produces. This could be his chance.
I'm also strongly considering this pre-emptive add. Getting ready to drop Helu for him.

I'm also strongly considering this pre-emptive add. Getting ready to drop Helu for him.
That I would do.
i pretty much respect anything you say about the raiders....you do know your #### on the subject :yes:

I still am not sure how confident I am in this, but I dumped Cunningham for him in two leagues. MJD looks done, and McFadden is... well, McFadden... so I'm gambling on Murray possibly getting his shot and running with it. I've read some widely varying opinions on Murray, but his athleticism seems pretty undeniable.

Mene said:
I still am not sure how confident I am in this, but I dumped Cunningham for him in two leagues. MJD looks done, and McFadden is... well, McFadden... so I'm gambling on Murray possibly getting his shot and running with it. I've read some widely varying opinions on Murray, but his athleticism seems pretty undeniable.
If you dropped Benny Cunningham you made a mistake. He's on his way to getting the most carries in STL as well.

The only thing I don't like about him is he looks like he has quicksand in his feet when he starts running. Not being negative on the guy but with explosive NFL Defenses shooting through the gaps....he won't have time to showcase that world class speed and athleticism because he is getting stopped behind the line of scrimmage. Brandon Jacobs is a comparable and I believe Jacobs is the better player...
i hope you mean Brandon Jacobs was a better player. And if that's the comparison, that's not too bad. Jacobs had a few nice seasons.

Brandon Jacobs? I'm thinking a slightly bigger, stronger(close here), faster Arian Foster with more wiggle...

The thing that can derail this whole situation is that the Raiders are just awful. They don't make good decisions.

massraider said:
Long Ball Larry said:
ESPN Mike said:
That I would do.
Yeah I'd do that in a heart beat. I'm trying to find a player to snip to justify the upside of this kid.

I added him in almost every dynasty league I'm in this year... got him as a FA where he was available and flipped a 3rd for him in one league and a 4th in another pretty much with the thought in my mind of:

MJD is like essentially a bowling ball with several chunks taken out of it so it stopped rolling properly and McFadden is a Porsche with no wheels, a missing driver's side door and no steering wheel. I assumed by mid season Murray might take over as the lead back after both MJD and McFadden either sucked the job away or injured themselves.

MJD is out now and McFadden might stay healthy for another week or two in his stead. So hopefully Murray can get a start or two before MJD comes back and then just run with the job.

massraider said:
Long Ball Larry said:
ESPN Mike said:
That I would do.
Yeah I'd do that in a heart beat. I'm trying to find a player to snip to justify the upside of this kid.
I liked Helu as a handcuff to Morris in PPR, since there wasn't that much available, but I decided to go ahead and shoot for the upside.

ESPN analyst Matt Williamson thinks the time is right for Murray to get a chance. The Raiders had just 25 yards rushing in a 19-14 loss at the New York Jets on Sunday.

“I would assume they see Murray as the RB of the future and I think it would be wise to get him more and more involved,” Williamson said. “He isn’t a real refined runner, but he is very big and very fast for such a big RB. He needs reps.”

Unless Jones-Drew makes a fast recovery, Murray should get those repetitions Sunday.

I'm rooting for Latavius to break out on Sunday, stake his claim and reward all you dynasty owners. But every run I've seen suggests he's a JAG compared to MJD or DMC. Does a lot of things well, but no one special trait to hang his hat on.

Got Mcfadden and Murray in exchange for next years 2 and 3 rounder. Don't know if that was wise, but I need a RB for this year so here goes nothing.

Already got two first rounders so not selling my future for these kids, but now I firmly believe that Murray is the next Adrian Peterson :scared:

I'm rooting for Latavius to break out on Sunday, stake his claim and reward all you dynasty owners. But every run I've seen suggests he's a JAG compared to MJD or DMC. Does a lot of things well, but no one special trait to hang his hat on.
It's odd that his measurables almost emulate APs right? People underrate football intelligence and a players ability to put it all together on the field. Still, the dude has never really gotten a chance so I think he's undoubtedly worth a stash until I know for a fact he can't indeed put it together. I also find it odd that the Murray hype has only slowly been building, must be because all of the other crazy news.

Very interested in murray, even though the raiders are such a mess. in my 16 team dynasty i could pick him up, but i'd have to drop james starks or cameron jordan on defense. what level player are you guys dropping for him?

Very interested in murray, even though the raiders are such a mess. in my 16 team dynasty i could pick him up, but i'd have to drop james starks or cameron jordan on defense. what level player are you guys dropping for him?
I think Starks will never be nothing more than a handcuff, so if you want purely potential, that would be a wise drop... production to potential.

Do we know for sure Murray is the play if DMC and MJD are out with injuries? I can't remember how many times DMC has been injured and then Marcel Reece all of a sudden jumps ahead of everybody on the depth chart.

Different times I guess, new HC and all, but still? Marcel Reece is still lurking in the shadows and he has been a difference maker every time his number has been called.

Got him in 3 leagues. Interested to see how he does. I feel confident in saying his value will either shoot through the roof or you'll be dropping him the following waiver.

As we've seen, RB is the one position you can really go from no-name to known very quickly. Clearly Murray has the measurables b/c, well, they're measurable. Opportunity- Hard yo see MJD ever regaining even a shell if hinsekf and McFadden is the same movie every single year. Now can Murray convert this raw talent and emerging opportunity into something playable....it's worth a roster spot to find out. At certain points, Foster, Morris and Stacy even Joique Bell seemed like third-string longshots too.

As we've seen, RB is the one position you can really go from no-name to known very quickly. Clearly Murray has the measurables b/c, well, they're measurable. Opportunity- Hard yo see MJD ever regaining even a shell if hinsekf and McFadden is the same movie every single year. Now can Murray convert this raw talent and emerging opportunity into something playable....it's worth a roster spot to find out. At certain points, Foster, Morris and Stacy even Joique Bell seemed like third-string longshots too.
Some people seem to know more than they really do. I can honestly say I don't know #hit.

So this conclusion with Murray has been the same I have made many times. You just never know, so your another shot with potential break out player is always recommendable.

I have loved some running backs that have never even had a chance, so I do like to see where this one goes.

Users who are viewing this thread