What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Latavius Murray, BUF (1 Viewer)

:wall:

It's the fricken Raiders, what else would you expect? Murray will go off the game after I drop him. Or they will finally play him the last two weeks of the season and blow up, leaving everyone wondering why he wasn't playing earlier.

Rotoworld:

Latavius Murray - RB - Raiders

The Raiders are averaging just 65.5 rushing yards per game, which would be the worst mark since the Lions averaged 42.5 in 1946.

And yet, the Raiders continue to mothball second-year pro Latavius Murray while "featuring" Darren McFadden and Maurice Jones-Drew. The Raiders' veteran jalopies are averaging 3.32 yards per carry on their 124 combined totes. Murray has touched the ball exactly twice since Week 3. None of this is to suggest that Murray is some elite talent who's been getting bottled up, but it's baffling the 0-8 Raiders aren't trying to find out what they have in the second-year pro. It's also embarrassing that the Raiders have no other young talent at a position where it's relatively easy to find.

Related: Maurice Jones-Drew, Darren McFadden

Source: CSN Bay Area

Nov 4 - 7:21 PM

Rotoworld:

The Raiders are averaging just 65.5 rushing yards per game, which would be the worst mark since the Lions averaged 42.5 in 1946.

And yet, the Raiders continue to mothball second-year pro Latavius Murray while "featuring" Darren McFadden and Maurice Jones-Drew. The Raiders' veteran jalopies are averaging 3.32 yards per carry on their 124 combined totes. Murray has touched the ball exactly twice since Week 3. None of this is to suggest that Murray is some elite talent who's been getting bottled up, but it's baffling the 0-8 Raiders aren't trying to find out what they have in the second-year pro. It's also embarrassing that the Raiders have no other young talent at a position where it's relatively easy to find.

The mystery continues... I think the only reason there's to keep Murray on the bench is they know he's something special, but the first pick is looming in their minds.

Or Murray is worse than MJD and I seriously doubt that!

Anyone see the Oak/SD game? I was mostly watching Phi/Gb & AZ/Det so I could not really tell who was doing what in Oakland.

But the stat line looks good. Any hope he will get some more chances now?

Anyone see the Oak/SD game? I was mostly watching Phi/Gb & AZ/Det so I could not really tell who was doing what in Oakland.

Traded him away some weeks ago, but am still a fan. I saw 2 or 3 rushes yesterday and he looked so much better than the other crap the Raiders put out there, it wasn't even funny. He looked decisive with a good burst and I don't think he left a single yard out there.

His problem must be pass pro, since I can't make up another reason why OAK isn't playing him to see what they got. I don't expect McFadden and MJD to be on the team next season, which means I'm still stunned they are using those two almost exclusively.

(Rotoworld)The San Francisco Chronicle suggests Latavius Murray's time behind Darren McFadden and Maurice Jones-Drew might finally be over.

Analysis: The 0-10 Raiders have insisted on giving carries to two veterans past their prime. We'd say it's a no-brainer to now give 24-year-old athletic freak Murray the feature role down the stretch, but this is one of the most dysfunctional organizations in pro sports. Murray, who rushed four times for 47 yards and caught three passes for 16 yards on a season-high 27 snaps Sunday, is a "wait and see" kind of add. Hopefully, the Raiders will give him a big chunk of work against the Chiefs on Thursday night.

Traded him away some weeks ago, but am still a fan. I saw 2 or 3 rushes yesterday and he looked so much better than the other crap the Raiders put out there, it wasn't even funny. He looked decisive with a good burst and I don't think he left a single yard out there.

His problem must be pass pro, since I can't make up another reason why OAK isn't playing him to see what they got. I don't expect McFadden and MJD to be on the team next season, which means I'm still stunned they are using those two almost exclusively.
Why MJD and McFadden are still on the team after the trade deadline is beyond anything logical that I can comprehend. This team could use the throw away pick from a team like Arizona or something. I don't think he has any problems. The Raiders are just stupid.

I was at the game yesterday. Not much to say really, his first two carries were the two best rushing attempts of this entire season for the Raiders. The holes were decent but he still got banged around a bit at the line (where McFadden and MJD most assuredly would have been dropped) but he showed decisiveness and hit the hole hard and plowed into the secondary with surprising quickness.

It's too few touches to really draw many conclusions but he was really impressive with his opportunities. And he also looks like a giant out there. A quick giant who looked like he was trying to initiate contact with defenders to gain more yards (and put a hurting on them). I can't imagine many DBs out there want to see a guy of his stature running free in the secondary.

Thanks for the observations. Again, couldn't really catch the game, but looking at the PBP, I see:

Drive starts with 3.24 left in the 3rd.

McFadden in

2nd & 10 at Oak14 (what's new)

then

Murray for 14

Murray for 23

McFadden spells, Murray comes back in.

Then Murray is for the final 3 drives, including the FG drive in which he got 3 shots inside the 15.

Is it possible Murray has already taken over? 4 carries plus 4 targets in 1.25 quarter work, plus the usual Oak garbage time.

Last edited by a moderator:
considering KC has not allowed a rushing TD all season, it makes sense that the 3rd string RB from the Raiders will break that streak on TNF! At least that's what I'm hoping since I need to use this guy :(

Rotoworld:

The mystery continues... I think the only reason there's to keep Murray on the bench is they know he's something special, but the first pick is looming in their minds.

Or Murray is worse than MJD and I seriously doubt that!
Murray could be very good but I doubt he's special enough to win games on his own.

I think the Raiders are just being stubborn with their deference to the veterans and their paychecks.

If the Raiders dont start him they will prove to the entire fan base that they have no interest in improving the team
They won't start him
Improving the team = getting a better draft pick at this point.
They are going to have a top 3 pick no matter what - Murray isn't Super Man. They need to assess their future by getting some of the younger players more playing time. If Murray looks great down the stretch, then they don't need to "waste" a high pick on Gurley or Gordon. There's plenty of ways to improve a team.

It seems silly not to give Murray 50% of the carries the rest of the season. McFadden and MJD both look done. They need to see what they got with this guy. I'm not sure they will do it though.

Latest rankings are puzzling. Murray projected to put up starters numbers and McFadden with the table scraps. No word from Raider scribes of a change in the depth chart as far as I know. And McFadden is still way more valuable in the top 200 going forward list.

Latest rankings are puzzling. Murray projected to put up starters numbers and McFadden with the table scraps. No word from Raider scribes of a change in the depth chart as far as I know. And McFadden is still way more valuable in the top 200 going forward list.
Can you post something if you hear he's going to get touches this week? I would probably roll the dice on him if I knew the volume was going to be there.

Can you post something if you hear he's going to get touches this week? I would probably roll the dice on him if I knew the volume was going to be there.
Will do. The only source I have for this switch so far is Dodds. I'm looking for confirmation.

The only things I have seen about him getting touches are speculative, Rotoworld, types of blurbs.

That being said, I think the fact that he was inserted into the game last weekend, at a point where the Raiders were very much able to win the game, is a great sign. I have nothing but pure speculation to offer, but think DMC gets the start - but Murray gets a few series early in the game to see if he can be productive. It seems reasonable to expect 10-12 touches for him...again, just my $.02

The Raiders Darkside

13 hours ago

Latavius Murray was working with the starting offense today at practice. About damn time! -Jax
This was taken from a facebook Raider fanpage account. FWIW
Dropped DMC for him, looking pretty smart so far. Not hard given how terrible McFadden looked on Sunday.
I just did the exact same thing. And I was using dmc sometimes at flex. I'm totally comfortable with this decision.

The Raiders Darkside13 hours ago
Latavius Murray was working with the starting offense today at practice. About damn time! -Jax
This was taken from a facebook Raider fanpage account. FWIW
Dropped DMC for him, looking pretty smart so far. Not hard given how terrible McFadden looked on Sunday.
I did the same, and it doesn't even really matter what happens now. At least with LM, there is the potential to hope for a possible upside (hey, it's no worse a redundancy than the ubiquitous "revert back").

Oakland's upcoming opponents, opponent's rank against the run, and TDs allowed to RBs this year...

Week 12---KC #29 0 TDs allowed to RB

Week 13---STL #25 5 TDs allowed to RB

Week 14---SF #30 4TD allowed to RB

Week 15---KC #29 0 TDs allowed to RB

Week 16---BUF #26 4 TDs allowed to RB

The schedule alone should be enough to give pause to anyone thinking Latavius is a ticket to the fantasy playoffs.

http://fftoolbox.scout.com/football/2014/points-allowed.cfm?pos=RB

Murray has displayed the ability to catch the ball, so in ppr format his value would be a little higher, IF he gets the opportunities.

Oakland's upcoming opponents, opponent's rank against the run, and TDs allowed to RBs this year...

The schedule alone should be enough to give pause to anyone thinking Latavius is a ticket to the fantasy playoffs.

If anyone was thinking that, I would totally agree.

But this week, and next, a lot of people are thinking about playoff rosters.

Any RB getting the majority of the carries, and available as a free agent, has value. A lot of teams entering the playoffs could use another lead back, if say they had Blount or Tate on their team.

A lot of leagues lock playoff rosters. Injuries can force people to start the end of the bench guys. It's a time to sweep 'holds' off the end of the team, and pick up players for the stretch run that are guaranteed points.

About time. I took a flyer on him in a keeper league as well as a dynasty league (contract league, and he was available as a free agent this offseason so I bid on him). If it doesn't work out, the cost was low. But I think he has some real upside.

It was only preseason but this guy looked awesome against the Seahawks. Pretty sure the starters were still in at the time.

I'm really thinking about starting him this week over Fred Jackson and Charles sims this week in PPR. He should be good for a few receptions

Looking at KC's schedule I see only two RB's they have faced that I would consider legit - Gore and Lynch. While neither scored a TD, both rushed for over 100yds. Now the questions are - Is Murray legit and will he get enough touches for us to find out? Hope I can get more clarity before tomorrows kickoff - I could use a lift.

He's worth a late season flyer. I dropped Oliver, for him. He's a good value if your dropping a player with little upside, he has the most upside of anyone on my waiver wire at this time. If he doesn't work out I just drop him for a kicker or D

One of the Raiders beat writers (forget which one, sorry) was on the Sirius fantasy channel at about 4:30pm eastern, and he thought that Murray would indeed take over, but he was of the opinion that it would be next week, not tomorrow night. That contradicts the report above about Murray working with the 1's, so who the hell knows. I've been holding him in a few different leagues, and luckily I'm in a spot where I don't need him this week, so let's see what's what.

Users who are viewing this thread