What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (2 Viewers)

Well, I got two solid RBs for this week but my Flex would certainly be an upgrade with Chubb over E Sanders, or E Moore, or Bateman. 

I really need a win this week to stay in the chase.  Started 1-4 and now 4-5.  A win and .500 and looking up.  C'mon Nick.  Be healthy and get cleared.

Browns offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt said Nick Chubb (COVID-19) has "a chance" to play in Week 10. 

Chubb could miss the team's game against New England after a COVID breakout in the Cleveland running backs room -- one which spared D'Ernest Johnson, who would be the team's starter should Chubb be inactive. “Right now, all I know is there is still a chance," Van Pelt said of Chubb's Week 10 status. "I do not know how large that chance is or when that chance is. But we will take as long as we need to and as long as we possibly can. ... We will see what happens there when we get to game time.” Chubb drafters should play him if he's active against New England, while those who picked up Johnson off waivers should treat him as a plug-and-play starter if Chubb is sidelined. Van Pelt said the Browns' game plan would not change if Chubb is out. 

RELATED: 

D'Ernest Johnson

SOURCE: BeaconJournal.com 

Nov 12, 2021, 12:03 PM ET

Nick Chubb (COVID-19) was not at Browns' practice on Friday.

Chubb has until Saturday at 4 pm to come off the Covid list. As a vaccinated player, he needs to negative tests 24 hours apart and reportedly has a chance to play. Chubb sets up as an RB1 if he is cleared for the game. He played well ahead of D'Ernest Johnson in Week 9. Johnson will be a high-end RB2 if Chubb is out. He lacks Chubb's breakaway speed but can deliver chunk gains with the best of them.

RELATED: 

D'Ernest Johnson

SOURCE: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

Nov 12, 2021, 1:40 PM ET

I think they just said on the radio that Chubb has been ruled out.  

NBC Sports Edge:

Nick Chubb (COVID-19) is out for Week 10 against the Patriots.

D'Ernest Johnson will start for the Browns Sunday and could handle every snap, literally. It's unclear at this point who will even be backup Johnson up, with Demetric Felton and John Kelly also out with Covid this week. Johnson is a clear-cut RB1, facing a run funnel Patriots defense, and whether to play Johnson now looks key decision point of the DFS main slate. Chubb is vaccinated and therefore, likely to be active for Week 11. He will be an elite RB1 play in his expected return, facing the lowly Lions. 

RELATED: 

D'Ernest Johnson

SOURCE: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Nov 12, 2021, 2:41 PM ET

Any update? Haven't heard one way or another if he was sick or asymptomatic. Still, not a good sign if he hasn't posted negative test results in over a week and he is vaccinated. 

Any update? Haven't heard one way or another if he was sick or asymptomatic. Still, not a good sign if he hasn't posted negative test results in over a week and he is vaccinated. 
Last I heard was mild symptoms. Hopefully he clears in the next day or two.

I dont think you need to post negative results if you are vaccinated.  As long as it's been 10 days.

You can test positive for months but are considered "covid recovered".

Frankly it should be 10 days for the unvaccinated folks as well.  It makes no difference.  

I thought I read somewhere a day or two ago that he had been symptomatic... whether that was last week, or he's still having symptoms, I don't know. I believe he's also vaccinated, so he'd be fine to play if he could submit the 2 negative tests. Wonder how he's feeling and if it would have any effect on him physically. 

Browns activated Nick Chubb from the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Chubb missed last week's loss to the Patriots after testing positive for the virus amid a COVID outbreak in the Cleveland running backs room. Assuming Chubb practices Friday, he should resume a workhorse role in the Cleveland backfield, relegating D'Ernest Johnson to a handful of touches. Kareem Hunt (calf) remains sidelined. Big favorites against the Lions this week, the Browns should be in position to run the ball to their heart's content. Chubb will be an RB1. 

RELATED: 

D'Ernest Johnson

SOURCE: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter 

Nov 19, 2021, 9:07 AM ET

Well, I was liking his matchup this week for the first week of our playoffs... now maybe not so much with half the team out due to COVID. Will probably have to roll with him anyway.

He's a great start this week regardless of who's starting on OL. He's that good. No Baker means they'll run the ball 40 times. No Hunt means more touches.

He's a great start this week regardless of who's starting on OL. He's that good. No Baker means they'll run the ball 40 times. No Hunt means more touches.
I agree on this, he could for sure put up a dud, but if there is one RB in the league who'd be able to overcome this, I'd put my money on Chubb. He is second in YAC with 528, only topped by Jonathan Taylor (691) who has played 3 more games. I could see him break some long runs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/rushing_advanced.htm

Nick Chubb rushed 17 times for 126 yards and one touchdown in the Browns' Week 16 loss to the Packers, adding three receptions for 58 yards on four targets.

Chubb tied for the team lead with 58 receiving yards, which tells you how dominant he was in this game, and how little the Browns had going outside of their backfield. Chubb made his receiving day on a 40-yard screen pass, which looked so easy that it makes one wonder why Chubb screens aren't a staple of the Browns' offense. Chubb also showed incredible burst on a 27 yard run and displayed power and speed on multiple additional 10+ yard runs. D'Ernest Johnson mixed in throughout the game, but the Browns' entire offense was built around Chubb this week. He has a chance for another huge game against the run-funnel Steelers defense in Week 17.

Dec 25, 2021, 9:08 PM ET

7.4 per carry, plus receiving, why do the Browns Chubb and DJ on every play until the D can stop it??

is this play calling or Baker changing out of plays?
IDK, but it’s frustrating as a Chubb owner.  If I were a Browns fan (root for them mostly, but not MY team), it would be infuriating.  Knowing the run game is their strength, and seeing them “get cute” by letting Mayfield throw is awful.  Hell, last night, they were down 2 scores late & predominantly ram the ball to score their last TD.  If they’d have played that way in the 1st half (instead of letting Baker air it out into 3 INTs), they’d have had a much better chance of winning.

Nick Chubb rushed 12 times for 58 yards in the Browns' Week 17 loss to the Steelers Monday night.

Chubb ripped off a 32-yard run on a perfectly-blocked run off the right edge in the first half, but that was all we got from him. With Baker Mayfield getting crushed and not making any plays with his arm, the Steelers keyed on Chubb, and Cleveland fell in a deep hole. The Browns were forced to abandon the run altogether late. Chubb was unable to capitalize on a pair of goal-to-go runs before a David Njoku three-yard touchdown in the third quarter, and then Chubb was used as a decoy on play-action on a one-yard touchdown to Harrison Bryant in the final minutes. Chubb's 12 carries were his third-fewest of the season, and he didn't catch a pass. Chubb will close out his season against the Bengals in Week 18 as a TD-reliant RB1.

- NBC SportsEDGE

There were long stretches of this game where Chubb was nowhere to be seen on the field.  He played less than D'Ernest (by 9 plays) and he wasn't targeted in the passing game at all.   The Browns were in this game up until the end.  I just don't get Chubb's usage.  It's the most frustrating thing about him.  

I sat at the game last night in front of a row of Browns fans.  The one thing we could all agree upon is that Stefanski's use (or lack thereof) of Chubb is mind boggling.

I will never understand the playcalling.  You have PIT who sucks at defending the run, and you have one of the better running backs in the NFL.  How Chubb didn't get 20-25 carries is criminal.

because some coaches are "smart"...they see that they are stacking the box and wanting us to pass so we're going to do exactly what they want...even though we have a huge advantage running the ball due to our personnel vs. their personnel you just cannot resist the "mismatch".  The Browns continued to throw the ball despite having an injured QB that can't complete a pass / is getting every other pass batted down / got sacked 10 times instead of running behind a good line with a good rb against the worst rush defense in the league.  I was watching both MNF broadcasts and they were both questioning about as forcefully as you can question being an NFL broadcaster that they don't understand why they are throwing the ball vs. running Chubb.   It was one of the more idiotic games of play calling I can recall.  Getting Chubb 12 carries given all those factors in a game that was close and was winnable into the 4th quarter should be enough to get the coach fired.  He still ran for 4.8 ypc...it wasn't like he ran 12 times for 8 yards.  just baffling and you wonder how some of these guys get the jobs they do.  

I was rooting for the Steelers and just couldn't understand what the heck they were doing.  

Last edited by a moderator:
 The one thing we could all agree upon is that Stefanski's use (or lack thereof) of Chubb is mind boggling.

Good for you to be able to enjoy that game.

I felt like his usage of Chubb in week 16 was odd to put it nicely. Like he was doing Green Bay a favor every time they dropped back to pass.

But I disagree with the masses that last night was odd, that at least makes sense to me considering you don't want a James Robinson type injury to happen when they are eliminated. That of course leads to people who will say then he should not have been active and that's a fair point but I think a coach has to walk a line between preserving some players and not looking like he's waving the white flag on the season. This just seemed to me like Stefanski stradling that line, if that was his reason it makes sense to me.

steelers played most of the game in base personnel which translates to 7 in the box.  its one thing to abandon the run when the box is stuffed with 8 or 9, but base personnel is only a +1 mismatch, and chubb has demonstrated the ability to make the free guy miss.

fireable offense by the browns coaching staff.

But I disagree with the masses that last night was odd, that at least makes sense to me considering you don't want a James Robinson type injury to happen when they are eliminated. That of course leads to people who will say then he should not have been active and that's a fair point but I think a coach has to walk a line between preserving some players and not looking like he's waving the white flag on the season. This just seemed to me like Stefanski stradling that line, if that was his reason it makes sense to me.
You might have a point if this wasn't a common usage pattern for the entire season.  Chubb is wildly misused all the time.  This wasn't a one time thing.

Good for you to be able to enjoy that game.

I felt like his usage of Chubb in week 16 was odd to put it nicely. Like he was doing Green Bay a favor every time they dropped back to pass.

coaches don't coach like that...injuries can happen on any play and you aren't going to half play a guy in hopes he doesn't get hurt for next year.  If you are that concerned, you put him in bubble wrap and leave him in the locker room.

You might have a point if this wasn't a common usage pattern for the entire season.  Chubb is wildly misused all the time.  This wasn't a one time thing.
I get it a little bit if the other guy you're sharing with is Kareem Hunt and they are 1A/1B...both explosive and productive backs but when you are splitting his carries with D'earnest Johnson that's a complete joke.  The problem is he's sticking with the same game plan despite a HUGE drop off in talent.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I get it a little bit if the other guy you're sharing with is Kareem Hunt and they are 1A/1B...both explosive and productive backs but when you are splitting his carries with D'earnest Johnson that's a complete joke.  The problem is he's sticking with the same game plan despite a HUGE drop off in talent.  
Except Chubb was battling an injury.

because some coaches are "smart"...they see that they are stacking the box and wanting us to pass so we're going to do exactly what they want...even though we have a huge advantage running the ball due to our personnel vs. their personnel you just cannot resist the "mismatch".  The Browns continued to throw the ball despite having an injured QB that can't complete a pass / is getting every other pass batted down / got sacked 10 times instead of running behind a good line with a good rb against the worst rush defense in the league.  I was watching both MNF broadcasts and they were both questioning about as forcefully as you can question being an NFL broadcaster that they don't understand why they are throwing the ball vs. running Chubb.   It was one of the more idiotic games of play calling I can recall.  Getting Chubb 12 carries given all those factors in a game that was close and was winnable into the 4th quarter should be enough to get the coach fired.  He still ran for 4.8 ypc...it wasn't like he ran 12 times for 8 yards.  just baffling and you wonder how some of these guys get the jobs they do.  

I was rooting for the Steelers and just couldn't understand what the heck they were doing.  
Start here...  Mayfield banged up.  Browns can't roll him out because he's barely healthy enough to play.  Chubb is a problem, someone you need to stop.  Baker is not quite as tall as you would want.  Browns are playing a fifth round rookie at OT.  What game plan would you devise for the defense?  How does the offense counter that plan?

that was an eye-popping play for sure.
I could watch it all day. 

Look closely, watch the two Steelers who do a double-take watching their DB's head bounce off the turf.

Best part?

It was far more brutal than Najee's stiff arm and came afterwards like Nick was answering the  challenge.

It was far more brutal than Najee's stiff arm and came afterwards like Nick was answering the  challenge.
Although it is much easier to throw a guy to the ground like that when he is in mid air without any leverage to counteract it.  Don't get me wrong, this was awesome but the defender had left his feet and was prone to the ground before the stiff arm started.

Right, to be clear, we were talking about his usage as a whole, not just last night.  Though, to me, either use the guy or don't.  If you want to bubble wrap him for next year, go ahead and do that.  If you are going to play him, might as well try to win.

Although it is much easier to throw a guy to the ground like that when he is in mid air without any leverage to counteract it.  Don't get me wrong, this was awesome but the defender had left his feet and was prone to the ground before the stiff arm started.
Comparing stiffies?

Here's Najee's on MJ Stewart who took it in stride and laughed about it.

https://twitter.com/Checkout_Marv/status/1478251205709213700

Mj Stewart@Checkout_Marv

You play long enough , it happens (he inserted 4 laughing till crying emoticons)

----------------------------

MJ comes full speed at  an angle and falls backwards and still gets the biggest piece of the tackle.

Game, set. match, with clear win to Chubb.

The Browns have allergies. It's that simple. They are allergic to prosperity and being a leader who's in front. They are always coming from behind nipping ankles and being a dark horse. It's really odd how every year they are playoff bound week 1 and by week 10 they are a scrappy nuisance that might ruin other teams playoff hopes and dreams. I guess a QB1, a real QB1 might change things but at this point are we sure? If it was Rodgers back there would they run Chubb 36 times a game and just come up short? Would they throw 60 times and make Chubb block during another almost win?  I gotta wonder now if there really is a curse at work here. I really think the Browns should be in the playoffs now. The pieces seem to be there or were.

The Browns have allergies. It's that simple. They are allergic to prosperity and being a leader who's in front. They are always coming from behind nipping ankles and being a dark horse. It's really odd how every year they are playoff bound week 1 and by week 10 they are a scrappy nuisance that might ruin other teams playoff hopes and dreams. I guess a QB1, a real QB1 might change things but at this point are we sure? If it was Rodgers back there would they run Chubb 36 times a game and just come up short? Would they throw 60 times and make Chubb block during another almost win?  I gotta wonder now if there really is a curse at work here. I really think the Browns should be in the playoffs now. The pieces seem to be there or were.
Elite pass rush, elite running game, elite o-line. That is the recipe for being playoff bound every single year. They just need a QB that can keep the trains on schedule, especially with play action and just overall efficiency. Something like Kirk Cousins + 

Elite pass rush, elite running game, elite o-line. That is the recipe for being playoff bound every single year. They just need a QB that can keep the trains on schedule, especially with play action and just overall efficiency. Something like Kirk Cousins + 
See? You say that. We all see that. Is it true though? It's this every year. Baker had a list of injuries but they would wheel him out there in a wheelchair just to prove a point. What that point is is lost on football fans everywhere when running the ball made sense. That game was winnable. Right? For some reason I just want to understand. 

(thehuddle) Cleveland Browns RB Nick Chubb is the first running back in NFL history to average five-plus yards per carry on 100 or more carries in each of his first four seasons in the league. Analysis: Chubb has topped 1,000 rushing yards in each of his last three seasons, and he has scored at least eight touchdowns in every year of his career. His lack of production in the passing game prevents him from being an elite fantasy option at the position, but Chubb is a dependable RB1.

Users who are viewing this thread