What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB-RB-RB Strategy (1 Viewer)

kyoun1e

Footballguy
Curious for those that have already drafted if anyone deployed a RB-RB-RB strategy in the first three rounds and if you did, to what degree are you satisfied with your team?

I still have a 12 team PPR league draft tonight. RBs are drying up fast to the point where there's zippo solid after round 4.

That said, if you go heavy on RBs early, you may be light on WRs late (although there does seem to be a ton of depth there).

I'm picking from the 2 slot. I'm guaranteed a stud RB and may consider grabbing 2 of the likes of J. Howard, A. Collins, R. Freeman, J. Mixon, K. Drake. 

A little reachy yes, but in a leaque where I can start 3 RBs I'm considering it.

Thanks

I did this in my 10 team PPR flex league. I don’t think I’d do it in a larger league unless something unexpected happened. I had the 2 pick and went DJ/McCaffrey/Cook. Overall, I like my team. WR is my weakness, but not disastrous. Baldwin, Hogan, Goodwin, Funchess, Cole, Gallup. Watson is my QB, Rudolph at TE. 

I did it in two leagues this year. 

12 man standard: Cook/McCaffrey/Henry/Cooper/McCoy/Crabtree with Funchess and Kelvin Benjamin on the bench.

10 man standard (2 flex) I went 4 straight RBs

Gordon/Cook/Collins/Drake

Wrs: D. Thomas/Hogan/Jeffrey/Corey Davis.

I like how my teams turned out.

Did this at the 10 pick of a 10 team half PPR start QRRWWFTKD league.  Hunt/Fournette at the 1-2 turn, Mixon at end of 3rd (and Brady at top of 4th, it's also half a point per completion for the QB).  Had to wait till end of 5th for a WR, and got Allen Robinson, followed by B Cooks at top of 6th. 

I've drafted from the 2 spot so I generally understand who could be available. I think going DJ, Howard, Mixon (or Mixon, Howard) is interesting. For me that would mean I'd have to pass up on Hill or Diggs (not interested in Evans or Hilton) and depending on my league set-up I could see myself doing that. RBs who see the type of volume Mixon and Howard will likely see are scarce and I think the drop-off after Green is large. However, when I have found myself in this spot I usually draft Hill because I see a perfect storm forming in KC and I think I have him projected a bit higher than the consensus. But if you feel confident in your ability to correctly choose WRs in rounds 4, 5, 6 I think it's a fine strategy. To me that would be cobbling together Landry, Sanders and Corey Davis but that's just my preference plus drafts are rarely that predictable (which is why going RB, RB, RB could be risky).

I didn't exactly do this but it was similar to what you did. I was in a 10 team league and had the #1 pick. I picked Gurley and then had to wait to the last pick in the 2nd Round which I picked Michael Thomas. I then had the first pick in the 3rd Round where CMC slipped to me which I could not resist taking. I did the same exact thing in rounds 4 and 5. I picked Collins with the last pick of the 4th round and then followed that with Amari Cooper with the 1st Pick of the 5th Round. 

A buddy of mine did this - here are his first 9 picks (12 team)

Leonard FournetteJaxRB

Christian McCaffreyCarRB

Royce FreemanDenRB

Tyreek HillKCWR

Marquise GoodwinSFWR

Corey DavisTenWR

Matthew StaffordDetQB

Will Fuller VQHouWR

Trey BurtonChiTE

This is my old school strategy & I’ve long since discarded it. 

I could see it working as a format-specific strategy though - if it’s start 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR, or in an all-flex lineup.

for a 2 RB/3 WR starting lineup it seems like suicide, but it can work if you get some upside WRs that all pan out. 

A starting trio of day, Goodwin/Hogan/Crowder w/Godwin/Coles on the bench or something could be viable. 

The biggest challenge here is also draft position. If you’re drafting at or near the turn, going 3-straight RB makes you somewhat predictable.  In my 12-team IDP for example, the first 5-6 rounds are all pretty standard (after 5-6 the IDP start coming off the board and things get wonky) - I was pick 11, and the 12-spot went WR/WR. So every odd round I could basically guess what he was most likely to take and grab my preference at that position first. I sniped him 3 straight rounds and he got pretty ticked, always getting 2nd choice.

While that was WR, the same thing applies here. If I’m picking near the turn, and next to a person who’s gone RB-RB-RB; if there’s a choice between RB or WR, it’s a no-brainer to take the WR. Because I’m pretty damn sure they’re not going to go 4 straight RBs, so I automatically get a higher tier WR2 than his WR1. That’s a big advantage.

i’m not a big fan of any strategy that’s 1. Static (causes you to miss value that might fall to you at other positions, or even at RB later) and 2. Predictable (see example above). 

on paper or in mocks I’ve tried pretty much every strategy - but in my two $ leagues I try to stay as loose & flexible as possible - I want to pounce on value when it comes, whatever the position. 

Mid I go RB-RB-RB, and a top RB falls to me in the 4th, I’m gonna feel sick taking a 4th or 5th tier WR as my WR1 over a RB who could have been a value pick as a RB3 had I not already taken 3 of them. 

A buddy of mine did this - here are his first 9 picks (12 team)

Leonard FournetteJaxRB

Christian McCaffreyCarRB

Royce FreemanDenRB

Tyreek HillKCWR

Marquise GoodwinSFWR

Corey DavisTenWR

Matthew StaffordDetQB

Will Fuller VQHouWR

Trey BurtonChiTE
Heck of a team. Looks a bit like my team from the 1-spot (Hill/Freeman/Burton, sub in Hogan for Goodwin) 

Hill shouldn’t have been available that late, so I’d say this is an anomaly. He got pretty lucky with both Hill & Goodwin well past their ADP. 

I did this in my 10 team PPR flex league. I don’t think I’d do it in a larger league unless something unexpected happened. I had the 2 pick and went DJ/McCaffrey/Cook. Overall, I like my team. WR is my weakness, but not disastrous. Baldwin, Hogan, Goodwin, Funchess, Cole, Gallup. Watson is my QB, Rudolph at TE. 
My draft is on ESPN and Hogan consistently is available in round 4/5 turn along with JuJu and even J. Gordon. Making me more comfortable with this approach.

Heck of a team. Looks a bit like my team from the 1-spot (Hill/Freeman/Burton, sub in Hogan for Goodwin)

Hill shouldn’t have been available that late, so I’d say this is an anomaly. He got pretty lucky with both Hill & Goodwin well past their ADP.
It's either a standard league or the draft occurred in early August or both.

I've drafted from the 2 spot so I generally understand who could be available. I think going DJ, Howard, Mixon (or Mixon, Howard) is interesting. For me that would mean I'd have to pass up on Hill or Diggs (not interested in Evans or Hilton) and depending on my league set-up I could see myself doing that. RBs who see the type of volume Mixon and Howard will likely see are scarce and I think the drop-off after Green is large. However, when I have found myself in this spot I usually draft Hill because I see a perfect storm forming in KC and I think I have him projected a bit higher than the consensus. But if you feel confident in your ability to correctly choose WRs in rounds 4, 5, 6 I think it's a fine strategy. To me that would be cobbling together Landry, Sanders and Corey Davis but that's just my preference plus drafts are rarely that predictable (which is why going RB, RB, RB could be risky).
I've been doing 2 RBs out of first three picks consistently in mocks and Diggs has been my target at WR. Team turns out ok, but when I get to the 4/5 turn and I'm looking for that #3RB there's zilch. All of Collins, Royce, Miller, Ajayi, Henry are gone.

I see lots of WR depth. After round 5, I'm consistently looking for M. Goodwin and C. Davis. Then after round 7 there is just a TON of WRs: Crowder, R. Anderson, C. Kupp, E. Sanders, K. Stills, N. Agholor, T. Lockett, and more. And this is where things get squirrely...I often find insane value after round 8 at WR since everyone's brain is starting to get fried. Overall, I'm highly confident in my ability to find WRs late (and also find it much easier to grab WRs off the wire during the season).

The one wildcard that keeps tripping me up: R. Gronkowski being available at 2.11. That sends my draft off the rails.

I ran several mocks at lunch today and I found that I could possibly go RB RB RB RB (picking 5th)

CMC
Mixon
Royce Freeman
Barber

Even if I went RB RB RB WR I could still grab Barber according to DD. Which adding in Alex Collins kept round 12 I think that's the makings of a pretty fool proof RB squad (after my team completely fell apart last year at WR and RB) 

In my mocks, Allen Robinson was my WR1 if I went WR round 4. JuJu is being kept as my WR2. Corey Davis WR3. and then I'd be deciding between some of my favorite sleepers as WR4. I would be thrilled with that team. Here's crossing my fingers hoping it happens. 

I am not really liking the WRs available when I pick round 3 (so many being kept that would be there), so Freeman would be a good option at RB and then grabbing Barber round 5. I may change what I think about this, but considering the player pool available I think this is how I'm going to do it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran several mocks at lunch today and I found that I could possibly go RB RB RB RB (picking 5th)

CMC
Mixon
Royce Freeman
Barber

Even if I went RB RB RB WR I could still grab Barber according to DD. Which adding in Alex Collins kept round 12 I think that's the makings of a pretty fool proof RB squad (after my team completely fell apart last year at WR and RB) 

In my mocks, Allen Robinson was my WR1 if I went WR round 4. JuJu is being kept as my WR2. Corey Davis WR3. and then I'd be deciding between some of my favorite sleepers as WR4. I would be thrilled with that team. Here's crossing my fingers hoping it happens. 

I am not really liking the WRs available when I pick round 3 (so many being kept that would be there), so Freeman would be a good option at RB and then grabbing Barber round 5. I may change what I think about this, but considering the player pool available I think this is how I'm going to do it. 
Keeper format changes everything, and doesn’t really translate universally to this topic & whether it’s a viable strategy since every keeper league has a different list of keepers. 

Like you said, a huge number of 3rd round WRs are being kept, so that almost forces folks to go RB there. 

Keeper format changes everything, and doesn’t really translate universally to this topic & whether it’s a viable strategy since every keeper league has a different list of keepers. 

Like you said, a huge number of 3rd round WRs are being kept, so that almost forces folks to go RB there. 
Sure, I was just relating to my league, but based on my decades of experience in fantasy football, I feel like this strategy can be a winner. 

Sure a guy like Nuk or AB is just a huge advantage, but I feel like if one of your RBs goes down, you're screwed. So by going RB RB RB you kind of secure yourself from that. Sure, you're light at WR, but there is so much depth there. 

My keeper league is a short bench ppr league, and we can only keep up to 3 guys. I find that every year you can almost go WR2 by Commitee or Flex using the WW. Maybe this isn't the same in deeper bench leagues, but there seems to be less risk going light at WR than there is going light at RB. Sure, there's always that 1 RB who explodes week 1 or 2 and is a WW darling, but usually there are more WRs than Rbs available for the sole reason that there are more WRs starting than RBs. You can land a guy like John Ross in the double digit rounds and he has flex or even WR2 potential. Not guaranteed, but he could be very productive for a low cost. Try finding a RB that late with the same upside. 

Last year was the first year I went WR/WR/RB/RB and it was a huge disaster. Not only did my RB1 completely suck (Ajayi) but my RB2 was a complete disaster as well (Crowell). Add that with Dez and TY last year and you've got the makings of a 9th place finish. My worst in the last 10 years. 

When your first 4 picks completely flop you have no chance, but I feel like early RBs are less likely to completely bite you in the rear end as much as early WRs can. 

A few problems with this strategy

1) The draft has to go well for  you afterward to allow you to get the WR's you want

2) Yes there are a lot of WR's that look good on paper but that doesn't mean they are gonna hit.

3) you lose the flexibility to maybe grab a another position at great value because you need WR's. 

It can work but it's risky.

A few problems with this strategy

1) The draft has to go well for  you afterward to allow you to get the WR's you want

2) Yes there are a lot of WR's that look good on paper but that doesn't mean they are gonna hit.

3) you lose the flexibility to maybe grab a another position at great value because you need WR's. 

It can work but it's risky.
1. Maybe yes. But it's possible that going RB heavy depletes the RB group causing others to reach for RBs earlier than they wanted too. If I had 3-4 WRs I would want, then this point is absolutely correct. However, there's a lot of great value to be had (Goodwin, Davis, Allen Robinson, Landry, Cooks, Hogan) round 4 -7. I'd be fine with any of those as my WR1 if my 2 RBs and flex were set with good RBs. 

2. True. But there are a lot RBs round 3-6 that look good on paper but it doesn't mean they are going to hit. I guess I don't understand this point. I think the whole idea of RB RB RB is that round 4 is more likely to produce a WR who will be useful than a RB. 

3. You just made the point for going RB RB RB. What position do you find yourself finding "great value" later in the draft? For me, it's always WR. Never RB.

Edited: QB and TE maybe but these area areas that have always been okay to wait on (QB mostly). 

You're set at RB with this strategy, so if you need WRs and you're finding great value at WRs, then that makes the case for going RB RB RB

1. Maybe yes. But it's possible that going RB heavy depletes the RB group causing others to reach for RBs earlier than they wanted too. If I had 3-4 WRs I would want, then this point is absolutely correct. However, there's a lot of great value to be had (Goodwin, Davis, Allen Robinson, Landry, Cooks, Hogan) round 4 -7. I'd be fine with any of those as my WR1 if my 2 RBs and flex were set with good RBs. 

2. True. But there are a lot RBs round 3-6 that look good on paper but it doesn't mean they are going to hit. I guess I don't understand this point. I think the whole idea of RB RB RB is that round 4 is more likely to produce a WR who will be useful than a RB. 

3. You just made the point for going RB RB RB. What position do you find yourself finding "great value" later in the draft? For me, it's always WR. Never RB. Never QB. and Never TE. TE and, especially, QB are deep in general so it doesn't hurt to wait. You're set at RB with this strategy, so if you need WRs and you're finding great value at WRs, then that makes the case for going RB RB RB
I think the other key point is in season management.

During the season, owners hold onto their RBs for dear life. On the other hand, I see knee jerk reactions when it comes to WRs -- one bad game and somebody drops a decent WR3 for the flavor of the week.

Another point to add is that everyone thinks their team looks pretty good before the season starts, then things start to shake out and they realize their RBs aren’t as good as they thought they were going to be.

As I saw mentioned in another thread on FBG, RB value kinda rockets as the season goes on. If you’re missing a key piece on your team, your RB3 (putting up RB2 numbers) could net a top player in another position as owners ALWAYS end up scrambling for RBs.  I try to draft RB depth that could start, even after I have my starters already. 

I could see going RB-RB-RB-WR-RB if Miller or Ingram is there in the 5th. 

.5 PPR - Start QB, WR/WR/WR, RB/RB, W/R/T Flex, TE, K, DEF

7: Melvin Gordon

18: Christian McCaffrey

31: Devonta Freeman (I wanted to go WR here but couldn't pass up Freeman at this value)

Roster ended up as:

QB: Philip Rivers, Jameis Winston

WR: Allen Robinson, Brandin Cooks, Sammy Watkins, Alshon Jeffrey, DJ Moore, John Ross

RB: Melvin Gordon, CMC, Devonta Freeman, Mark Ingram, Jay Ajayi, Rashaad Penny

TE: David Njoku

31: Devonta Freeman (I wanted to go WR here but couldn't pass up Freeman at this value)

Roster ended up as:

WR: Allen Robinson, Brandin Cooks, Sammy Watkins, Alshon Jeffrey, DJ Moore, John Ross

Similar roster.

12 team, I picked 10th.

I have a .5 PPR 1QB, 2 RB, 2WR, Flex, 1 TE, 1 K, 4 IDP.

I went Gordon, CMC, & Derrick Henry. Wasn't my plan but it work out I think.

Final Roster:

QB Rivers, Mahomes

RB Gordon, CMC, Henry, Clement, Ekeler, Anderson

WR Thielan, Robinson, Marvin Jones, Kupp

TE Rudolph, Burton

Then my K and 5 IDPs.

Wasn't my plan going three straight RBs. But I got Theilan as my 1 and I think that's pretty good! Definitely didn't expect that.

Roster ended up as:

Dream start. Didn't have to reach for the third RB. Freeman is usually top 20 pick.

I did this in a 14-team standard re-draft league.  Picked at #3 (with Zeke) and then Freeman was available when the draft came back around to me.  But going back up, McCaffrey was still available -- so I took him.

We start 2 RBs, 2 WRs, and a RB/WR flex.

I still got Cooks, Goodwin, Crabtree, and Funchess at WR -- not a bad group (probably all in the 15-30 WR range).  

This can work if you can get 3 RBs that are all in the top-20 and you can start them all...or at least I'll see if it can work.  FBG's seems to like my strategy.

I did it in a 10 team league, though it wasn't intentional.  I ended up with Gordon, McCaffrey, and Mixon.  I then took Ertz in the 4th. We go 2RB/2WR/2FLEX

QB - Roethlisberger

RB - Gordon, McCaffrey, Mixon, Barber, Crowell, Ekeler, Conner

WR - Demariyus, Tate, Crabtree, Goodwin, Anderson

TE - Ertz, Reed

I don't love it.  I probably would have liked it a little better if I didn't take Barber in the 9th, but I thought I would be able to get one of my WR targets the next round.

Another point to add is that everyone thinks their team looks pretty good before the season starts, then things start to shake out and they realize their RBs aren’t as good as they thought they were going to be.

As I saw mentioned in another thread on FBG, RB value kinda rockets as the season goes on. If you’re missing a key piece on your team, your RB3 (putting up RB2 numbers) could net a top player in another position as owners ALWAYS end up scrambling for RBs.  I try to draft RB depth that could start, even after I have my starters already. 

I could see going RB-RB-RB-WR-RB if Miller or Ingram is there in the 5th. 
Yep. Having that much RB capital can usually net you help at any other position. 

I did this last night. 12 teams, ppr, start 2RB, 2WR, 1 flex (RB/WR/TE), 1TE. Drafting from the 10th spot

First 7 picks,  Fournette,Gordon,Drake,Baldwin,Hogan,C.Davis,A Jeffery

Good luck tonight

Users who are viewing this thread