What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB to stash (1 Viewer)

Islanders rule

Footballguy
Ryan Torain - 6' 1" - 225 lbs. He is recovering from a fractured bone near the elbow. He could be a beast the 2nd half of the season. Stash him now if you can.

When the season started, it was my plan to scoop him up in leagues, but given the total cluster F at the position in Denver, what is the likely scenario? It seems unlikely that a rookie who's been on the shelf for a couple of months is going to come in and put the entire committee on the bench. Especially while that offense is on a roll, why change things up?

Is he likely to take over Pittman's role, because that seems like the best way for him to immediately contribute to a fantasy team? I mean, I can see the scenario where he comes in, looks fantastic and slowly becomes the main guy, but it feels like a long shot right now. Shanny has gone nuts with the whole RBBC approach.

Spread offense, Selvin Young, Andre Hall, and Michael Pittman down?

Nah when is he coming back? Im debating dropping Andre Hall. Dont want to but you have to drop somewhere..

Spread offense, Selvin Young, Andre Hall, and Michael Pittman down?Nah when is he coming back? Im debating dropping Andre Hall. Dont want to but you have to drop somewhere..
Just dropped him today....Selvin Young owner as well. I just traded for E. Graham and needed to add a waiver Qb for depth.

Selving Young = 6.9 ypc

Andre Hall = 5.1 ypc

Michael Pittman = 4 TDs/3 gms in goal line work

Now why would you think Denver will disrupt this production so they can play an untested rookie who missed the first half of the year? Because of a Shanahan blurb from training camp?

Seriously, are there any facts or justification in any way that would support Torain becoming a force in the latter half of the season? Maybe I'm just missing it.

Probably worth a spot in a keeper league. Denver has exactly been 100% supportive of Young. Pittman has rarely been an every down guy. Torain will likely get some time this year, but next year is where he coupld potentially see a much bigger role.

Yeah Im gonna add a guy that will become part of a 4 way RBBC.
Your loss...
loss of what exactly? is he gonna be the starter when (if) he comes back? will he be the goalline back? 3rd down? change of pace.Usually when there are more than 2 viable backs, they all have a relatively low value especially in redraft. Torain doesnt strike me as a special talent either.

Selving Young = 6.9 ypc

Andre Hall = 5.1 ypc

Now why would you think Denver will disrupt this production so they can play an untested rookie who missed the first half of the year? Because of a Shanahan blurb from training camp?

Seriously, are there any facts or justification in any way that would support Torain becoming a force in the latter half of the season? Maybe I'm just missing it.
This seems to be a good FF system but not a part of standard NFL thinking. You give me one guy who can do it all (ie, run between the 20s, get tough yards and goal line) and (a) it makes the offense less predictable when he's in there and (b) it's only one guy to whom the team has to pay big salary.Plus, half-way through the season the opponents have 8 game tapes on everyone else, none on this guy. Add to that the idea that cold weather brings more emphasis on the running game (typically) and you have yourself some rationale to think twice about Torain. The Broncos did really well as a passing team with Elway, but they won the superbowl with a running game to balance it out.

Selving Young = 6.9 ypc

Andre Hall = 5.1 ypc

:popcorn: Why would you replace any of these guys who are doing everything that is being asked of them? As a Selvin Young owner it's frustrating but it sure the hell is working in Denver - I just wish Young would get 15+ carries instead of the 10-12

Last edited by a moderator:
Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has called Torain "one of the most gifted running backs I’ve been around, and I’ve been around for a long time, very similar to Terrell Davis when he came in.”

Link

Sounds like the OP is onto something. Of course I was reading the thread two weeks ago about him as well and stashed him then. Could be lightning in a bottle even if he only does 60% of what Davis did. You guys can keep your sarcasm, why did you even open the thread? Guy has as much potential to break out as Derrick Ward did last season or more. Definitely worthy of a spot on the tail end of the bench.

If he wasn't in the Broncos plans for this year, he would've been IR'd.
they can still IR him--I mean really....why f'around w/the most potent offense in football?they can stash this guy and oh, I don't know...maybe look for some defensive help so that 38/ppg actually hold up?

There are three things that I stay far away from.

Women with questionable personal hygiene

Denver's RB's

Patriots RB's

Getting involved with any of the three leads to a stinky situation

I'll bump this thread in November. One of my fantasy teams Torain is on plays through the Superbowl. Since I think Denver makes the playoffs, Torain is even more valuable to me when he returns. Playoff (NFL) RB's are important in this 14 team league.

I'm rolling the dice. We'll see !!

P.S. I dropped Duece Mc Allister to pick up Torain.

I have bought into the theory that Shanahan is waiting for Torain to be the every down back. If you don't buy into this line of thinking then ask yourself this. Has Shanahan ever used RBBC before? Hell no. Why the hell would he start now? Because by mixing Young, Hall, and Pittman into the game Shanahan is depriving any of them the opportunity to thrive and stand out from the pack, which will make it a smooth transition to Torain. In other words, lets say for example that Shanahan gave Hall 20-25 carries a game right now. There is no doubt he would put up great numbers with over 100 yards per game and the touchdowns to go with it (because any RB can run behind that line). But if Shanahan did that then how would he justify switching to Torain in week 8 or 9? Shanahan has already chosen Torain to be his full time RB and all the Rat is doing is preventing any conflict for when Torain finally becomes healthy and ready to play.

Has Shanahan ever used RBBC before? Hell no.
Hilarious.The man has been using RBBC or Denver has ended up with an RBBC since Portis was traded away.
That's the perception, but it's simply not true. Does Droughns or Mike Anderson ring a bell. Even Tatum Bell was given the full time job, but he was hurt and/or sucked so Shanahan started using Mike Bell more. There is no doubt that Shanahan is waiting for Torain.

I have bought into the theory that Shanahan is waiting for Torain to be the every down back. If you don't buy into this line of thinking then ask yourself this. Has Shanahan ever used RBBC before? Hell no. Why the hell would he start now? Because by mixing Young, Hall, and Pittman into the game Shanahan is depriving any of them the opportunity to thrive and stand out from the pack, which will make it a smooth transition to Torain. In other words, lets say for example that Shanahan gave Hall 20-25 carries a game right now. There is no doubt he would put up great numbers with over 100 yards per game and the touchdowns to go with it (because any RB can run behind that line). But if Shanahan did that then how would he justify switching to Torain in week 8 or 9? Shanahan has already chosen Torain to be his full time RB and all the Rat is doing is preventing any conflict for when Torain finally becomes healthy and ready to play.
Uh, what?I guess it depends on how you want to define RBBC, but Denver has been using a committee approach in one sense of the word or another since Portis got traded.Plus, the theory of not letting any RB excel just so that it's easier to justify making Torain the starter is pretty far-fetched. I'm going to go out on a limb and theorize that Shanny is doing whatever he thinks will help them win games. If someone can coherently explain why Torain will be given a chance to take Pittman's job, let alone take a majority share of the carries on a team that's an offensive juggernaut, please do. I'd love to get the jump on my leagues.

Hilarious.The man has been using RBBC or Denver has ended up with an RBBC since Portis was traded away.
That's the perception, but it's simply not true. Does Droughns or Mike Anderson ring a bell. Even Tatum Bell was given the full time job, but he was hurt and/or sucked so Shanahan started using Mike Bell more. There is no doubt that Shanahan is waiting for Torain.
This is exactly the same rhetoric that we heard last year with Selvin Young /Adam Hall and Travis "I can't put the pipe down" Henry.Sorry. We need a little more evidence before we fall for it this time.

Islanders rule said:
I'll bump this thread in November. One of my fantasy teams Torain is on plays through the Superbowl. Since I think Denver makes the playoffs, Torain is even more valuable to me when he returns. Playoff (NFL) RB's are important in this 14 team league.I'm rolling the dice. We'll see !!P.S. I dropped Duece Mc Allister to pick up Torain.
Please feel free to bump the thread from two weeks ago that called the same thing.TIA...

This is exactly the same rhetoric that we heard last year with Selvin Young /Adam Hall and Travis "I can't put the pipe down" Henry.Sorry. We need a little more evidence before we fall for it this time.
There are no guarantees on a stash play such as this one. You just roll the dice and hope it works in your favor.

Users who are viewing this thread