What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reality Check: Trade David Johnson??? (1 Viewer)

zcollins14

Footballguy
Need some outside opinions make sure I'm being rational.  Firstly, league is 12 teams, 1/2 PPR, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T Flex, kicker, defense. My current Roster is: QB: Carr, Palmer; RB: D. Johnson, M. Gordon, G. Bernard, T. Coleman, J. Starks; WR: OD Beckhan, TY Hilton, D. THomas, Tyrell Williams, S. Coats, P. Dorsett; TE: M. Bennett, C. Fleener.  As you can see, a little weak at QB, TE and RB depth.

My brother is gonna be 0-5 after this week, and is trying to get some keeper options for next year (keep 2 players).  He really wants David Johnson (DJ will be a 6th rounder next year), I have turned down a few proposals already but he is basically offering the world for him.  His latest proposal is Cam Newton, Jordy Nelson, Jordan Reed and ARI D for johnson straight up.  That would leave me quite thin at RB, I would probably try get him to throw in an RB, but I am still hesitant.  Value wise I am getting upgrades at QB, TE, WR and Defense, and logically it seems like a good trade, however I am leaning towards declining.  My trade philosophy is generally to try to upgrade RB position and take depth hits elsewhere, which this trade does the opposite.  Also (and the reason I need an outside oppinion), I drafted D. Johnson last year and held onto him throughout a poor season, to finally have him breakout at the end of the year, and he looks every bit a stud workhorse RB this year.  My gut is telling me to ride or die with Johnson and let the rest work itself out.  Am I crazy???  If so, (if you would trade away Johnson), what combo would you pick?  He also has J. Hill and Ingram or Gronk I could probably work in somehow, maybe Cam, Reed, Hill and ARI for Johnson.  Thanks for the help!!  

I honestly don't have much experience in keeper leagues, but why would you sell a top 2 RB who's in his second year in the league? 

Some of the decision is based on how long you can keep Johnson.  But next year is a long way off and if that gives you that great of an upgrade at multiple positions I don't see the downside in making a deal.  I would for sure look to add a RB in return. 

Based on the players you mentioned what about Cam, Reed, Ingram, & Nelson for Johnson& Palmer?  I think that is a huge upgrade to your starting lineup and worth doing.

Personally, when I look at your team, I see that you have two rock solid keepers that should be reliable for a few years (ODB and DJ).  I think that trade might be good for you for this year (potentially though I will say Cam is not currently looking that great AND he's currently out, though that's likely to change).  I think long term for a keeper league, it's a short sighted move.  That's just me though.  If you're playing for just this year, that might be ok but if you're looking at more than just this year, you're going to consider the long term value. 

Here are a few dynasty draft rankings:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/dynasty-overall.php

https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/rankings/dynasty-100

http://rotoexperts.com/110330/fantasy-football-dynasty-rankings-top-100-overall-top-25-rookies/

Pretty much all of them rank both ODB and DJ over Newton (and that's ignoring Cam's current situation).  So yeah, I say look at this from a long term perspective and pass on this trade, but that's just me.  

Pretty much all of them rank both ODB and DJ over Newton (and that's ignoring Cam's current situation).  So yeah, I say look at this from a long term perspective and pass on this trade, but that's just me.  
He mentioned using a 6th rounder to keep Johnson so that leads me to believe that there are other ramifications to the keepers than just straight keeping them.  There may be other options that have as much value as Johnson in the 6th. 

Only getting to keep 2 players is fairly minimal in the grand scheme of things.  I say go for this year and let next year take care of itself when the time comes.

Thanks Guys, yea I left out keeper values for simplicity, but basically of the players available the decent keeper values would be D. Johnson (6th), Jordy Nelson (3rd), Reed (13th).  The current offer i negotiated to would be, I get Lesean McCoy, Jordy Nelson, Jordan Reed, Carolina D and give up D. Johnson, C. Fleener, P. Dorsett  (basically trading Johnson for McCoy, Nelson and Reed).  Nelson and Reed are still decent keeper options, and I think it upgrades my overall squad this year, with a downgrade from Johnson to McCoy.  Would you pull the trigger?

Users who are viewing this thread