What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reception without Target? (2 Viewers)

eighsse2

Footballguy
Alright, here's your pointless curiosity for the day. When a pass is thrown to one receiver, it bounces off of him, and is then caught by a different receiver who was not particularly close to to the intended receiver (see: Jayden Reed's TD for the Packers on Sunday) ... does that target go to the intended receiver, or to the guy that caught the ball?

- Common sense says the target goes to the intended receiver. If you want to know who was "targeted", that is your man.

- But it also seems statistically weird to think of a stat line showing more receptions than targets, which makes me think the target might actually go, nominally, to the receiver who actually caught the ball.

Not getting any results from searching the internet. Anybody know?

Not sure if this helps but a QB can get a reception on a batted ball I believe, I doubt they could say he targeted himself. Great question actually

Stats are done very fast. There isn't thought put into them.
When I worked for stats we'd get weekly emails and work team discussions on things of course but in game...whew it's a lot of work for a little pay.
Who threw it who targeted who caught who in coverage man zone double yards yac who tackled...enter it all before the next snap.

There will never be a "let's think about this" play statistically.

It would be guy targeted that tipped the ball (also a drop) and reception goes to the guy that caught it

7,8 guys live, 4-5 guys after, 4-5 guys the day after.

I was raised on if it touches your hands, you can catch it so it'd be a drop for me.

BUT
Your scenario is relatively common (or actually was years ago) with end of half hail Mary's when a WR would tip it purposely to another player

Stats are done very fast. There isn't thought put into them.
When I worked for stats we'd get weekly emails and work team discussions on things of course but in game...whew it's a lot of work for a little pay.
Who threw it who targeted who caught who in coverage man zone double yards yac who tackled...enter it all before the next snap.

There will never be a "let's think about this" play statistically.

It would be guy targeted that tipped the ball (also a drop) and reception goes to the guy that caught it

7,8 guys live, 4-5 guys after, 4-5 guys the day after.

I was raised on if it touches your hands, you can catch it so it'd be a drop for me.

BUT
Your scenario is relatively common (or actually was years ago) with end of half hail Mary's when a WR would tip it purposely to another player
So the way you're putting it, there's no reason you couldn't get more receptions than targets. Didn't know you were once in that line of work, very cool, thanks for the info!

Reactions: Bri
So who gets the target on a Hail Mary? The receiver that touches it first? Or the receiver that's closest to the defender who catches it/bats it down?

So who gets the target on a Hail Mary? The receiver that touches it first? Or the receiver that's closest to the defender who catches it/bats it down?
The receiver that tips it to his teammate.

To help you out. CJ Stroud threw a pass, it got batted in the air, he caught it. His stats say he got 1 target, 1 reception.

Unlike @Bri I don't have any experience with this stuff, but it seems like this would be the easiest way to do it. If you catch a pass, that means you were targeted

To help you out. CJ Stroud threw a pass, it got batted in the air, he caught it. His stats say he got 1 target, 1 reception.

Unlike @Bri I don't have any experience with this stuff, but it seems like this would be the easiest way to do it. If you catch a pass, that means you were targeted
That was my first thought too. You get the target, just because.

Targets aren't an official NFL stat, right? So different sites might have conflicting info on weird outlier plays.
That was only really a thing with sacks. There's no celebration for the most targeted player no juice from it within the league.

There's probably 7-10 companies that do stats live. Maybe 50-100 that will use a script to retrieve data from play by play. This is inexact and purposely so until like Wednesday. There's huge money in previous so Elias etc will have 4 and 6 yards instead of 3 and 7. 7# yards instead of 73. They have an awesome 99.? percent success rate but throw a few nuggets in to catch gleaners

Also this could result in >100% catch rate over small sample sizes.
I think everyone had this years ago when Mariota threw to himself. I imagine everyone still has a line of code w 💯 being the max
Against the Chiefs.

In the playoffs.

For a touchdown.

In a game the Chiefs would lose at Arrowhead.

Thanks for THAT memory. :cry:
That can't be right. I was told by reliable sources that the Chiefs are an expansion franchise who started in 2018.

(It honestly does feel like that sometimes. It's hard to remember what they were like pre-Mahomes)

Users who are viewing this thread