What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins make move for Lance Briggs (1 Viewer)

abrecher said:
Team president Ted Phillips added: ''Our position has been made pretty clear on this.''
Their position is that are fully capable of doing what they are doing (FTing Briggs) and that they will not be forced into a deal because it makes him unhappy. In no way, shape or form does this mean they don't want to deal him. If they get the right value for him, they'll move him in a heartbeat.

redman said:
fatness said:
Finally a good article on this "trade", by Rich Tandler. He's about the best Redskin writer I've found. It's too long to copy in its entirety.

Do Redskins Dig Briggs?

Although Joe Gibbs characterized the buzz about the potential deal as “just a bunch of rumors,” the fact that the trade offer did come out of the mouth of the owner of the team is not in dispute. Jay Glazer, who covers the NFL for Fox Sports, would not make this up out of thin air. The origin of this article, the one that broke the story on Monday night, is in a sequence of events that took place in a bar in the Biltmore hotel in Phoenix, where the owners meetings are being held.

The way Glazer told it on Sirius NFL radio yesterday, he was at the bar enjoying an adult beverage and chatting with Snyder. In came Briggs and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. Ever the salesman, Rosenhaus started talking up his client. After a few minutes, Snyder said to Rosenhaus (paraphrasing here), “Call the Bears. Tell them we’ll give them the #6 pick for Briggs and their first-round pick (#31 overall).”..........

............Vinny Cerrato materialized from somewhere and, instead of saying, uh, Mr. Snyder, shouldn’t we go have dinner somewhere and chat about this privately, he jumped right on board. Where a fire hose was needed, gasoline was applied. And then, after a few minutes of excited chatter among Snyder, Cerrato, and Rosenhaus, either Snyder or Cerrato said it.

“We’ve got to get in touch with Gibbs.”

It was like a group of teenage boys saying, “This is gonna be a great road trip. But we’ve gotta get Dad to give us the keys to the car.”
Although Glazer did not say this yesterday, he had to ask Snyder if it was OK for him to report the scene that he had just witnessed. A cocktail lounge is like Vegas—what happens there stays there, unless there is express consent given to the contrary. If Glazer were to write about the trade offer without Snyder’s OK he would be risking his future access to not just Snyder but to all NFL owners and executives. So, Snyder had to say that Glazer could report what he’d just seen.
For right now, with the Bears expressing a lack of interest and Gibbs doing his best to quell the talk, the deal appears to be dead or at least dormant. Neither side has said anything completely shutting the door on a deal that would put Briggs in burgundy and gold in 2007 so anything still could happen. The chances seem to be slim to none, but slim still is in town.
:mellow: All I have to say is thank God for Gibbs. Buzzed in a cocktail lounge would have to be where this offer came from, because it certainly wasn't coming from anyone looking out for the interests of the team.
:yes: :yes: :no: :o

I'd like to be optimistic here too, Redman, and echo your sentiments, but...UNFORTUNATELY, local DC Sportstalk 980 AM is reporting that according to the Chicago Sun-Times, that the Redskins and Rosenhaus/Briggs have agreed to a contract that would pay Briggs about 7.5M a year, with 20M guaranteed (I don't know the length). No link, just heard on the radio within the last hour.

I'd be thrilled if someone else in the know rose to the occasion and debunked this.

Ironic, isn't it, that I heard this being discussed on the radio in my car as I was returning from the FedEx Office...

...where I'd just overnighted Snyder and Co about 5K for my Season Tickets?!?!?!

Nothing like telegraphing your intentions by agreeing to the terms of a nice fat contract with the player before negotiating a trade with the team holding his rights. That ought to cost us at least one commodity being discussed. Lovely.

You know, I think I hate The Daniel almost as much as I'd LOVE to play poker with him...
I don't think it is possible for me to love an owner more, and hate him so much at the same time. I love how he just dumps money into the team, willing to go out and get whatever player he thinks we need......which is also what I hate, I wish to god we could get a decent GM in there to show Danny the RIGHT players we need.

I didn't read the entire thread but...

Do the Bears want MORE than the #6 for Lance Briggs? If they do, it would seem to me that they really don't want to trade him and would only accept a Ricky Williams type trade which ain't gonna happen.

If this trade went through, the Skins would basically get Briggs and #31 (Charles Johnson?) for the #6 pick (Branch?). That sounds like a sweet deal for the Skins. I mean, heck, who knows if Charles Johnson or Branch ends up being better? It's a crapshoot. Plus you get Briggs.

However, I have no idea why CHI does this unless they just want to get rid of the Briggs headache AND they think someone else is there at #6 that they really want. I have no idea who that would be...Levi Brown, Quinn, Peterson, Branch, Olsen? I'm not seeing anyone in that list that I think is a great pick for CHI.

Guys, I just heard this trade is possible from the Bears side. Briggs needs to be able to come to a contract agreement with DC first though.
Gee, I'll bet it is! :whoosh:
No way this happens for Briggs and their #1 for the #6. At LEAST the Skins #1 #2 and next years #2 for BRiggs and the Bears #2...at least.They guy is damn good, that's why they franchised him...
:bow: You're delusional
Bears Want More for BriggsNot Delusional :)

Guys, I just heard this trade is possible from the Bears side. Briggs needs to be able to come to a contract agreement with DC first though.
Gee, I'll bet it is! :unsure:
No way this happens for Briggs and their #1 for the #6. At LEAST the Skins #1 #2 and next years #2 for BRiggs and the Bears #2...at least.They guy is damn good, that's why they franchised him...
:boxing: You're delusional
Bears Want More for BriggsNot Delusional :banned:
The Bears are shopping a young, proven star. The 'Skins would be quite lucky to get a player of his caliber at the #6 pick (who will receive a huge contract, regardless of his skill). The Bears want more, and they should. I'm guessing the Skins sweeten the deal come draft day...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, I'll bet it is! :pickle:
:unsure: You're delusional
Bears Want More for BriggsNot Delusional :banned:
The Bears are shopping a young, proven star. The 'Skins would be quite lucky to get a player of his caliber at the #6 pick (who will receive a huge contract, regardless of his skill). The Bears want more, and they should. I'm guessing the Skins sweeten the deal come draft day...
Nice spin. Willis is better.

The trouble with your theory is that the 'Skins' area of need is not at that position. I think this deal either flys or crashes on the present terms.

The trouble with your theory is that the 'Skins' area of need is not at that position. I think this deal either flys or crashes on the present terms.
This is just wrong. The Skins are without depth at LB, and their starters aren't anything to brag about. It's probably their weakest D position...even moreso than DT. At least there they have Salavea and Griffin, it's just they are always hurt.Briggs is a huge upgrade over someone like...London Fletcher or Khary Cmapbell.No way CHI makes this deal though.

This is just wrong. The Skins are without depth at LB, and their starters aren't anything to brag about. It's probably their weakest D position...even moreso than DT. At least there they have Salavea and Griffin, it's just they are always hurt.Briggs is a huge upgrade over someone like...London Fletcher or Khary Cmapbell.No way CHI makes this deal though.
Briggs is NOT a huge upgrade over London Fletcher - in fact, I don't think Briggs would be as good at MLB as Fletcher.

Briggs is NOT a huge upgrade over London Fletcher - in fact, I don't think Briggs would be as good at MLB as Fletcher.
I like Fletcher and his experience, but I totally disagree.All other things equal, Briggs speed makes him a commodity right now.

Let's hope so.

For argument's sake, let's say the deal goes down with Briggs being traded to Washington for the sixth pick in the draft. What can you realistically expect to get with the sixth overall pick? Let's say the Bears use that pick on a defensive player. Over the last six years, here are the earliest defensive players drafted with the sixth pick, or later.

2006 - Michael Huff (7th)

2005 - Adam Jones (6th)

2004 - DeAngelo Hall (8th)

2003 - Jonathon Sullivan (6th)

2002 - Ryan Sims (6th)

2001 - Richard Seymour (6th)

Overall, not a bad group. Sullivan and Sims are busts, but everyone else has played fairly well.

Now, let's look at what Briggs brings to the table.

- He'll be 26 when the season starts. Not old, but not your average draft age.

- He's a solid run-stuffing LB; haven't seen enough of him to know how he is in pass coverage, but he's averaged a couple of picks and roughly 10 passes defended a season.

- Not a huge playmaker, but gets a sack or two and forces a couple of fumbles every year.

In the end, I don't think this is that bad of a trade for the Redskins. They would picking up a solid, fairly young LB with a proven track record. Looking back at the draft, they could probably get themselves a player at a harder position to get playmakers (DE, DT...) but there's an increased risk for bust potential. Even if the Redskins took the best LB in the draft at #6 (Pat Willis), I think there is a greater chance he doesn't outproduce Briggs, then become the next Ray Lewis.

Why are you comparing Briggs to MLB's? He's a WLB. I grant you they have nobody who can play the Will as well as he can (although the jury's still out on McIntosh), but between McIntosh, Marshall and Washington they already have three starting caliber OLB's on their roster. As mediocre as he was as the MLB, Marshall was actually pretty good in 2004 at WLB when he filled in for most of the season for Arrington. Washington has been a Pro-Bowler. DT is a major question right now, because we don't know whether Salave'a has any gas left in the tank, whether Griffin is past the point of being healthy for an entire season anymore, or whether 2nd year guys Golston (a 7th rounder) or Montgomery (a 5th) will be acceptable or not. At end they have Carter who actually started to come on at the end of the year at RDE, and Phillip Daniels who is well past 30 and is playing out of position at LDE and was invisible all last year there. The line needs an upgrade, plain and simple.

Briggs Trade Just One Scenario

Washington Redskins officials left the NFL's annual meeting still pondering a trade for Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs. Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs said Wednesday he expected the teams to spend the coming days and perhaps weeks evaluating the proposed deal. But Gibbs said the Redskins also were considering other possibilities after having trade discussions with two teams here this week about moving up in the first-round selection order in next month's draft................

.................Gibbs did not identify the other teams with which the Redskins discussed possible trades. The Detroit Lions, who have the second overall pick, are thought to be eager to trade down in the draft order. The other teams that draft ahead of the Redskins are the Oakland Raiders, who have the No. 1 selection, the Cleveland Browns (third), the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (fourth) and the Arizona Cardinals (fifth).

"Here we've had three major discussions with people," Gibbs said. "Two are moving up. Then we had one serious discussion about moving back. Then that one [the talks with the Bears regarding Briggs] got thrown in there . . . but everybody jumped on that. I think probably everyone here is having discussions about doing something. Everybody is trying to figure out what they want."

Trading up would be difficult for the Redskins, given their dearth of other selections in this year's draft. Gibbs said the club would like to retain all of next year's draft choices, which would further limit the immediate options. Even so, Gibbs said a trade up in the draft order to get a top player would be wise if the Redskins thought the player they would get by staying put had significant flaws. He said the team was targeting "a couple" players if it were to trade up. He didn't identify them, but spoke glowingly of Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

"You certainly wouldn't want to be sitting there and feel like you paid all that money and took a shot at something you really, really feel like may have a hole in it," Gibbs said. "You don't want that. . . . Our preference would be probably to move back. But the odds may be that it's better for us to move up because it's easier to do and we can do it."
:D

Briggs Trade Just One Scenario

Washington Redskins officials left the NFL's annual meeting still pondering a trade for Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs. Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs said Wednesday he expected the teams to spend the coming days and perhaps weeks evaluating the proposed deal. But Gibbs said the Redskins also were considering other possibilities after having trade discussions with two teams here this week about moving up in the first-round selection order in next month's draft................

.................Gibbs did not identify the other teams with which the Redskins discussed possible trades. The Detroit Lions, who have the second overall pick, are thought to be eager to trade down in the draft order. The other teams that draft ahead of the Redskins are the Oakland Raiders, who have the No. 1 selection, the Cleveland Browns (third), the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (fourth) and the Arizona Cardinals (fifth).

"Here we've had three major discussions with people," Gibbs said. "Two are moving up. Then we had one serious discussion about moving back. Then that one [the talks with the Bears regarding Briggs] got thrown in there . . . but everybody jumped on that. I think probably everyone here is having discussions about doing something. Everybody is trying to figure out what they want."

Trading up would be difficult for the Redskins, given their dearth of other selections in this year's draft. Gibbs said the club would like to retain all of next year's draft choices, which would further limit the immediate options. Even so, Gibbs said a trade up in the draft order to get a top player would be wise if the Redskins thought the player they would get by staying put had significant flaws. He said the team was targeting "a couple" players if it were to trade up. He didn't identify them, but spoke glowingly of Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

"You certainly wouldn't want to be sitting there and feel like you paid all that money and took a shot at something you really, really feel like may have a hole in it," Gibbs said. "You don't want that. . . . Our preference would be probably to move back. But the odds may be that it's better for us to move up because it's easier to do and we can do it."
:D
Well, I will give them this: Calvin Johnson is one of the few players in recent years I'd even consider trading up for given their overall circumstances . . . but it's still a ridiculous idea. A stud WR is about 14th on the list of needs for teams trying to win a Super Bowl. You can count on one hand the number of stud WR's who have won Super Bowls in the last 10 years.

What are your opinions on the Lions actually trying to get him for the #2 overall? Lions LBs haven't been that great, and what are they gonna get with that #2 spot that can help them more then Briggs? Bears then look at Calvin or Brady... wow, wouldnt that help both teams? I think the Bears may have to sweeten the deal, as the Lions are looking for more depth (maybe a later rd pick that the Bears wont really need). thoughts?

What are your opinions on the Lions actually trying to get him for the #2 overall? Lions LBs haven't been that great, and what are they gonna get with that #2 spot that can help them more then Briggs? Bears then look at Calvin or Brady... wow, wouldnt that help both teams? I think the Bears may have to sweeten the deal, as the Lions are looking for more depth (maybe a later rd pick that the Bears wont really need). thoughts?
I already wonder whether the 'Skins would be giving up too much by trading down, so the Lions, who are guaranteed, unlike the 'Skins, to have a shot at either Johnson, Peterson, Russell or Quinn would IMHO be out of their minds to do that deal.

I already wonder whether the 'Skins would be giving up too much by trading down, so the Lions, who are guaranteed, unlike the 'Skins, to have a shot at either Johnson, Peterson, Russell or Quinn would IMHO be out of their minds to do that deal.
So with Matt Millen still running things I'll take that as a sign the Lions are trying to make it happen.

Angelo would not trade Briggs to a division rival, so you can rule out the Lions.

On Chicago radio today, the hosts were saying that Angelo is balking because of the salary cap implications of having a high draft pick. Basically they were saying the Bears are already committed to a guaranteed salary of 7.2 million next year and the guaranteed money that pick would be at least 15 million.

Money is the real issue here not the value of the picks.

Heard on Chicago radio this morning that the Bears were likely going to send a counter offer to the Skins that would be the same deal with the addition of another Skins player. They mentioned 3 possible names, although I forget them. I think one guy's last name was Marshall & they were talking either the DT or LB position.

sorry for some vague details - also no linky - hey i'm tryin :)

Heard on Chicago radio this morning that the Bears were likely going to send a counter offer to the Skins that would be the same deal with the addition of another Skins player. They mentioned 3 possible names, although I forget them. I think one guy's last name was Marshall & they were talking either the DT or LB position.

sorry for some vague details - also no linky - hey i'm tryin :)
Washington Post reported it too. This is getting a bit greedy, IMHO. I'm already negative on this trade anyway from a Redskins standpoint, but leaving the picks as is and throwing in a player (or two!) doesn't seem right.

sorry for some vague details - also no linky - hey i'm tryin :scared:
Washington Post reported it too. This is getting a bit greedy, IMHO. I'm already negative on this trade anyway from a Redskins standpoint, but leaving the picks as is and throwing in a player (or two!) doesn't seem right.
I think they are going after a back-up linebacker.

I mentioned this when critiquing someone else's mock draft but it bears (no pun intended) repeating here:The Bears won't take a WR in the second (and in this case won't move up to get Calvin). With the emergence of Berrian, and still having Bradley and Mush on their roster they should be fine. The Bears still also like Currie and Rashied Davis. They have a decent young stable of WRs.I also doubt they will draft a QB this year, especially in the early rounds.

Heard on Chicago radio this morning that the Bears were likely going to send a counter offer to the Skins that would be the same deal with the addition of another Skins player. They mentioned 3 possible names, although I forget them. I think one guy's last name was Marshall & they were talking either the DT or LB position.sorry for some vague details - also no linky - hey i'm tryin :shrug:
the names of the players being thrown around from the Redskins are LB Rocky McIntosh, LB Lemar Marshall or DT Kedric Golston........Bears want Rocky McIntosh but I don't forsee the Redskins parting with a guy they traded up for last year

also i don't know if this has been posted in this thread, if it has, HOnda it....

According to Scout.com Angelo wants more from the Skins and two new teams have made offers

Here's the latest according to Pauline's sources:

Angelo trying to get more out of the Redskins

The trade offer on the table would send Briggs and the Bears' first-round draft pick – No. 31 overall – to Washington in exchange for the Redskins first-rounder at No. 6. Briggs' representative, Drew Rosenhaus, has been running his mouth to anyone who will listen that this is a good move for both teams, but Angelo is not about to let an agent and a disgruntled player force his hand. According to Pauline, Angelo is also asking for linebacker Rocky McIntosh, Washington's second-round selection a year ago, to sweeten the pot.

McIntosh would be an instant replacement for Briggs and the Redskins actually traded up last year to get him, but owner Daniel Snyder has been know to away draft picks like Kleenex.

Bills need to replace Spikes and Fletcher-Baker

Buffalo has been very active in the trade market this offseason, sending tailback Willis McGahee to Baltimore for a slew of draft picks before packaging linebacker Takeo Spikes and quarterback Kelly Holcomb to Philadelphia for defensive tackle Darwin Walker. Linebacker London Fletcher-Baker left for the aforementioned Redskins via free agency, so the Bills have major holes to fill at that position. Pauline has learned that Buffalo is offering their pick in the first round – No. 12 overall – to the Bears for Briggs, although Angelo would have to include another selection in return for that deal to happen.

This potential trade could pick up some steam because Buffalo is coached by former Bears front man **** Jauron, who Briggs played for as a rookie.

Giants also in need of serious help at linebacker

New York currently has openings at both outside linebacker positions, having cut both LaVar Arrington and Carlos Emmons in the offseason. Antonio Pierce is the only `backer the G-Men have with a legitimate NFL resume, plus their defense was absolutely ravaged by injuries last season. Pauline reports that the Giants have offered their spot in Round 1 – No. 20 overall – to the Bears for the durable Briggs, although this deal would technically have less appeal than the other two according to the draft value chart.

Angelo would probably much rather pick 20th in the first round as opposed to 6th or 12th because of the money involved, but New York will have to offer more for this swap to happen.

Heard on Chicago radio this morning that the Bears were likely going to send a counter offer to the Skins that would be the same deal with the addition of another Skins player. They mentioned 3 possible names, although I forget them. I think one guy's last name was Marshall & they were talking either the DT or LB position.sorry for some vague details - also no linky - hey i'm tryin :shock:
the names of the players being thrown around from the Redskins are LB Rocky McIntosh, LB Lemar Marshall or DT Kedric Golston........Bears want Rocky McIntosh but I don't forsee the Redskins parting with a guy they traded up for last year
Certainly not for the picks being discussed. One of the attractive parts of the deal as originally discussed for the Redskins was that they'd not only get Briggs but also, with the Bears' 1.31 be in a position to draft another good defensive player-prospect. If the Bears agreed to add more picks of their own, then maybe it would work. Or you could increase the scope of the trade to include a DE (like Mark Anderson?) which would directly address what the Redskins want to do with their draft pick anyway. Simply adding another player to the deal and holding the other details constant doesn't make much sense though and wouldn't seem very attractive to the Redskins.

It's apparently being reported by Schefter that the 'Skins have made clear that the 1.06 for Briggs and the 1.31 (with no other players or picks) is their final offer.
FO finally getting smart and realizing that it's not a must move. Add that the Bears are in the uncomfortable situation with the player threatening to hold out for the 10 games and no pressure for us to do it. I just hope it's true. The only way I think we add a LB'er (Rocky) is if we get one of their DE's back (O-Gun, A. Brown, or M. Anderson), other than that...nope. :fingerscrossed:

AOL Sports

Posted Apr 2nd 2007 2:48PM by Dan Benton

According to a report from Scout.com (registration required), the New York Giants have made an offer to the Chicago Bears for linebacker Lance Briggs. The report also states that the offer would be for the Giants number one draft pick; 20th overall. It went on to add that they would need to sweeten the deal a bit for a move to actually happen.

For weeks it seemed like the Giants were out of the running for Briggs, but as the draft approaches they find themselves back in the mix. A lot of people are against the Giants making any sort of trade but Briggs is a legitimate and proven NFL veteran; something New York could not get in round one.
Are the Giants really interested, or is this a semi-transparent attempt to show there's more interest in Briggs, thereby getting the Redskins to offer more?

AOL Sports

Posted Apr 2nd 2007 2:48PM by Dan Benton

According to a report from Scout.com (registration required), the New York Giants have made an offer to the Chicago Bears for linebacker Lance Briggs. The report also states that the offer would be for the Giants number one draft pick; 20th overall. It went on to add that they would need to sweeten the deal a bit for a move to actually happen.

For weeks it seemed like the Giants were out of the running for Briggs, but as the draft approaches they find themselves back in the mix. A lot of people are against the Giants making any sort of trade but Briggs is a legitimate and proven NFL veteran; something New York could not get in round one.
Are the Giants really interested, or is this a semi-transparent attempt to show there's more interest in Briggs, thereby getting the Redskins to offer more?
I would think that the Giants are really interested in Briggs because they have a need for LB’s.However will the Giants be willing to pay the price for Briggs? He is going want a big contract and the Bears are going to want a lot for him.

Obviously Briggs has more experience than anyone the Giants could get in the draft but there should be a couple of good LB options still on the board when the Giants pick at 20 if they want to go in that direction.

I would love for the Bears to make a trade with the Giants for the 20th pick. There's right around the time/place they could get Poluzny (sp) or Timmons to replace Briggs. Then they could use their other first to draft a OG or BPA.

Makes sense for both teams.

also i don't know if this has been posted in this thread, if it has, HOnda it....

According to Scout.com Angelo wants more from the Skins and two new teams have made offers

Here's the latest according to Pauline's sources:

Angelo trying to get more out of the Redskins

The trade offer on the table would send Briggs and the Bears' first-round draft pick – No. 31 overall – to Washington in exchange for the Redskins first-rounder at No. 6. Briggs' representative, Drew Rosenhaus, has been running his mouth to anyone who will listen that this is a good move for both teams, but Angelo is not about to let an agent and a disgruntled player force his hand. According to Pauline, Angelo is also asking for linebacker Rocky McIntosh, Washington's second-round selection a year ago, to sweeten the pot.

McIntosh would be an instant replacement for Briggs and the Redskins actually traded up last year to get him, but owner Daniel Snyder has been know to away draft picks like Kleenex.

Bills need to replace Spikes and Fletcher-Baker

Buffalo has been very active in the trade market this offseason, sending tailback Willis McGahee to Baltimore for a slew of draft picks before packaging linebacker Takeo Spikes and quarterback Kelly Holcomb to Philadelphia for defensive tackle Darwin Walker. Linebacker London Fletcher-Baker left for the aforementioned Redskins via free agency, so the Bills have major holes to fill at that position. Pauline has learned that Buffalo is offering their pick in the first round – No. 12 overall – to the Bears for Briggs, although Angelo would have to include another selection in return for that deal to happen. This potential trade could pick up some steam because Buffalo is coached by former Bears front man **** Jauron, who Briggs played for as a rookie.

Giants also in need of serious help at linebacker

New York currently has openings at both outside linebacker positions, having cut both LaVar Arrington and Carlos Emmons in the offseason. Antonio Pierce is the only `backer the G-Men have with a legitimate NFL resume, plus their defense was absolutely ravaged by injuries last season. Pauline reports that the Giants have offered their spot in Round 1 – No. 20 overall – to the Bears for the durable Briggs, although this deal would technically have less appeal than the other two according to the draft value chart.

Angelo would probably much rather pick 20th in the first round as opposed to 6th or 12th because of the money involved, but New York will have to offer more for this swap to happen.
I am assuming Buffalo would want Chicago's early 2nd they got from the swap of picks with NYJ in the T. Jones trade.If that is the case, not a bad move for Buffalo. If they could line up Chris Brown. and they would get Briggs, then they have two early 2nds to fortify other areas. Since Buffalo is running a cover 21, he fits more in their defensive scheme then in NYG or Washington.

It's apparently being reported by Schefter that the 'Skins have made clear that the 1.06 for Briggs and the 1.31 (with no other players or picks) is their final offer.
Let's freaking hope so...This whole situation is going to be a serious test of the Redskins' mettle, in terms of them taking a more laid back approach to free agency, etc.

I, for one, am praying they don't blow it, but I can't say I have even guarded optimism at this point.

I've been burned too many times in the past, and I just have the worst feeling that this isn't going to end well at all.

I hope I'm wrong...

The Bears will NOT trade a first rounder along with Briggs for another team's first rounder, unless an outside linebacker (or above average positional player) is coming back in return.

Just because the Skins have so few draft picks isn't the Bears problem.

They could easily draft Briggs replacement at the top of round two - and let Briggs play in those final several games and earn his few million dollars - as he won't get paid spit if he sits out the first 9 games.

Then they could tag his sorry whining #### again next year. ...and if he wants to sit out again, he'll earn his few million dollars, and then he can be a free agent in his 7th season at the ripe ole age of 28.

The Bears have ALL the leverage whether Briggs and his blowhard agent like it or not.

Briggs is the guy out there making threats, and he's gonna be the guy eating a hearty dose of humble pie come September of '07 and/or '08.

If Briggs gets sent somewhere, I hope it's NFL Siberia, aka Buffalo.

No large metropolitan area, no warm weather and no bevy of hot babes.

I continue to contend that the deal the Skins say is "final" is completely idiotic from a Skins perspective.

I therefore fully expect Vinny "dear in the headlights" Cerotton to sweeten the pot and do this deal, neglecting the areas of defense in serious need of upgrading (DL) in favor of strengthening a position where they're in decent shape (LB).

Bears | Team rejects Redskins' trade offer for Briggs

Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:45:27 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports as of right now, the proposed deal sending Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs and the No. 31 overall pick in the NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins for the No. 6 overall pick is off the table after Bears general manager Jerry Angelo rejected the deal. According to sources, Angelo phoned the Redskins Tuesday, April 3, with his decision. The deal, however, may not be lost for good. The Bears would like to include LB Rocky McIntosh in the deal. The Redskins, however, do not want to part with McIntosh.

Then they could tag his sorry whining #### again next year. ...and if he wants to sit out again, he'll earn his few million dollars, and then he can be a free agent in his 7th season at the ripe ole age of 28.
Assuming he sits out the first 10 games of '07, how does tagging Briggs in '08 benefit the Bears (other than to be vindictive)?In '07, he won't be in game shape to help the Bears after sitting out the first 10 weeks (at best you might get 3 in shape games). Plus, if I were his agent, I'd advise him to "pull a hammy" <wink><wink> as to not have to practice or play. He could be a total distraction for a team with Superbowl aspiration and could pull a TO and really screw with this team up. Instead of talking about the upcoming opponent all you're gonna get asked about is Lance Briggs. The Eagles have seen first hand what a mess that type of situation can become. It's not worth it to what type of mess he could cause to your team to then re-tag him again.It makes sense to tag him this year until you can draft a suitable replacement, but if you don't you better either pay him the money or let him walk in '08.

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN said:
The Bears will NOT trade a first rounder along with Briggs for another team's first rounder, unless an outside linebacker (or above average positional player) is coming back in return.Just because the Skins have so few draft picks isn't the Bears problem.They could easily draft Briggs replacement at the top of round two - and let Briggs play in those final several games and earn his few million dollars - as he won't get paid spit if he sits out the first 9 games.Then they could tag his sorry whining #### again next year. ...and if he wants to sit out again, he'll earn his few million dollars, and then he can be a free agent in his 7th season at the ripe ole age of 28.The Bears have ALL the leverage whether Briggs and his blowhard agent like it or not.Briggs is the guy out there making threats, and he's gonna be the guy eating a hearty dose of humble pie come September of '07 and/or '08.
I can understand, as a Bears fan, that you're ticked off at Briggs right now for his comments and such. I will say that the resounding feedback from 'Skins fans (message board) is that they do not want the deal to go down. Fans are really upset at the thought of this deal going through think we are giving up too much in the proposed deal. Add that it's been reported that a few GM's have said the Bears are getting the better end of the proposed deal and it gets worse. So, in that regard...maybe the 'Skins fans are right in their feelings. As it looks now, the deal is DEAD and Briggs will either stay a Bear or someone else will need to make a move for him.

Bears | Team rejects Redskins' trade offer for BriggsTue, 3 Apr 2007 10:45:27 -0700Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports as of right now, the proposed deal sending Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs and the No. 31 overall pick in the NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins for the No. 6 overall pick is off the table after Bears general manager Jerry Angelo rejected the deal. According to sources, Angelo phoned the Redskins Tuesday, April 3, with his decision. The deal, however, may not be lost for good. The Bears would like to include LB Rocky McIntosh in the deal. The Redskins, however, do not want to part with McIntosh.
:lmao: I'm so glad this trade didn't go through!! Of course the Bears want McIntosh, how sweet would that be to get rid of a player that's said he'll never play for you again, get a good prospect to replace him, AND the 6th overall pick!! Lol.Briggs would be nice in the Skins Def but we just can't afford to concentrate that much $$ in the LB Corps, especially when you don't address the DL and they'll just end up having OL all over them.

Bears | Team rejects Redskins' trade offer for BriggsTue, 3 Apr 2007 10:45:27 -0700Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports as of right now, the proposed deal sending Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs and the No. 31 overall pick in the NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins for the No. 6 overall pick is off the table after Bears general manager Jerry Angelo rejected the deal. According to sources, Angelo phoned the Redskins Tuesday, April 3, with his decision. The deal, however, may not be lost for good. The Bears would like to include LB Rocky McIntosh in the deal. The Redskins, however, do not want to part with McIntosh.
First rule of making a deal: Be willing to walk away from the table.Bears know what they are doing, Redskins don't.

Assuming he sits out the first 10 games of '07, how does tagging Briggs in '08 benefit the Bears (other than to be vindictive)?
Yes, its a bit vindictive on our part as well as the Bears' part if they re-tag him in '08. BUT, by doing so, it sends a message to all of the other players (and other teams) that players would not win and can't blackmail the teams.
In '07, he won't be in game shape to help the Bears after sitting out the first 10 weeks (at best you might get 3 in shape games).
Maybe not game shape but he can still can (and should) be working out.
Plus, if I were his agent, I'd advise him to "pull a hammy" <wink><wink> as to not have to practice or play.
And this isn't vindictive? So you're saying it's OK for him to pull a stunt like this but the Bears can't? If he did this I would definitely tag him again in '08.

Jay Glazer, Fox Sports

As of right now, Lance Briggs isn't going anywhere. FOXSports.com has learned that the Bears have turned down the Redskins' offer of trading the sixth pick of April's draft for Chicago's Pro Bowl linebacker and the 31st pick of the draft. Redskins sources say Bears GM Jerry Angelo has phoned Washington with his decision.

For now the deal is dead, but that doesn't necessarily mean the deal is lost for good. It appears that the main sticking point is the fact that the Bears believe the pot isn't sweet enough as is.

Chicago would love the Redskins' young linebacker Rocky McIntosh in the deal to play Briggs' weakside linebacker position. Trading Briggs would leave Chicago without a starting weakside LB. However, the Redskins sources contend they do not want to part with McIntosh, even though he'll either have to move positions or wait for an injury to Briggs if he is to get on the field over the next couple of years.

One Redskins official said that, despite the logjam, they view McIntosh as a good young player who has too much upside to part with. Perhaps one option would be for the Redskins to include McIntosh but then ask Chicago for more as well to even it out a bit.

First rule of making a deal: Be willing to walk away from the table.Bears know what they are doing, Redskins don't.
Hmmmm, and here I thought that the Redskins had rejected the offer to throw in McIntosh or Marshall and simply reiterated the original deal as a counter-proposal. You're saying that that suggests that they aren't "willing to walk away from the table"? :popcorn:

Seems your post indicates Redskins offer to Bears, rejected by Bears, thenBears offer to Redskins, rejected by RedskinsSo I'm not sure how this really shows anybody knowing any more than anyone else based on the "Be willing to walk away from the table," theory. They're both walking away given the offers proposed to them.

I mentioned this when critiquing someone else's mock draft but it bears (no pun intended) repeating here:The Bears won't take a WR in the second (and in this case won't move up to get Calvin). With the emergence of Berrian, and still having Bradley and Mush on their roster they should be fine. The Bears still also like Currie and Rashied Davis. They have a decent young stable of WRs.I also doubt they will draft a QB this year, especially in the early rounds.
I guess you watched different Bear wide receivers than I did. Berrian did well last year. Mush is old. Bradley has never managed to stay healthy. Currie and Davis have potential. But I think they could definitely use help at WR. Until someone else steps up I'd keep adding talent.

Assuming he sits out the first 10 games of '07, how does tagging Briggs in '08 benefit the Bears (other than to be vindictive)?In '07, he won't be in game shape to help the Bears after sitting out the first 10 weeks (at best you might get 3 in shape games). Plus, if I were his agent, I'd advise him to "pull a hammy" <wink><wink> as to not have to practice or play. He could be a total distraction for a team with Superbowl aspiration and could pull a TO and really screw with this team up. Instead of talking about the upcoming opponent all you're gonna get asked about is Lance Briggs. The Eagles have seen first hand what a mess that type of situation can become. It's not worth it to what type of mess he could cause to your team to then re-tag him again.

It makes sense to tag him this year until you can draft a suitable replacement, but if you don't you better either pay him the money or let him walk in '08.
The Bears have every right to tag him this year, and then again next year if the guy wants to play games. It's part of the collective bargaining agreement. Briggs pay is going up from 700K to 7 Million, so it's not like the Bears are squeezing the guy. When Briggs had the opportunity to 'be the man' in the past (ie when Urlacher was hurt), the Bears didn't win one game in 2004. Urlacher missed 7 games, and they lost all seven: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187400/gamelogs/2004 Nice to see Briggs 'step up' to the challenge.I think it's refreshing that a GM is standing up to Drew Rosenhaus and telling him in no uncertain terms fo 'F-Off D-Bag!!'.

Assuming he sits out the first 10 games of '07, how does tagging Briggs in '08 benefit the Bears (other than to be vindictive)?In '07, he won't be in game shape to help the Bears after sitting out the first 10 weeks (at best you might get 3 in shape games). Plus, if I were his agent, I'd advise him to "pull a hammy" <wink><wink> as to not have to practice or play. He could be a total distraction for a team with Superbowl aspiration and could pull a TO and really screw with this team up. Instead of talking about the upcoming opponent all you're gonna get asked about is Lance Briggs. The Eagles have seen first hand what a mess that type of situation can become. It's not worth it to what type of mess he could cause to your team to then re-tag him again.

It makes sense to tag him this year until you can draft a suitable replacement, but if you don't you better either pay him the money or let him walk in '08.
The Bears have every right to tag him this year, and then again next year if the guy wants to play games. It's part of the collective bargaining agreement. Briggs pay is going up from 700K to 7 Million, so it's not like the Bears are squeezing the guy. When Briggs had the opportunity to 'be the man' in the past (ie when Urlacher was hurt), the Bears didn't win one game in 2004. Urlacher missed 7 games, and they lost all seven: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187400/gamelogs/2004 Nice to see Briggs 'step up' to the challenge.I think it's refreshing that a GM is standing up to Drew Rosenhaus and telling him in no uncertain terms fo 'F-Off D-Bag!!'.
Come on Grid,Briggs was a 2nd year LB in 2004 and I wouldn’t say that he didn’t ‘step’ up during that time.

He had 102 tackles that year, up from 78 in his rookie year. He also had 24 assist.

Users who are viewing this thread