What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies (1 Viewer)

There seems to be alot of sports stars being robbed in thier homes lately. I have heard it several times over the last six months or so. I don't think they are all related but if we can find the address of these rich athletes so easily on the internet it's easy to see why they are becoming targeted more often.
You can find the name of any legal owner of property through property records. If I was in that position, I'd have my property held in the name of a business entity or trust that didn't bear my name.

Still, the problem is that I'm sure people in the neighborhood know that he lives there. ;)

Jason LaCanfora's Redskin blog

UPDATE:

Just spoke with a friend of the family who said that Sean lost a substantial amount of blood and the bullet traveled near the femoral artery, which is located in the thigh. Sean's father, Pedro, the chief of police in Florida City, Florida, is with him at the hospital, according to the source. They believe the situation is stabalizing, and are obviously hoping for the best.
UPDATE:

Also, just to clear up anyone drawing their own conclusions - this is a different house in a different part of South Florida than where Sean had the ATV incident two years ago and was arrested on a firearm s charge. He was in his old neighbrogood near his mom's house when that incident occured, he has moved to a nicer part of town since starting his family and, according to teammates, had stopped hanging around a lot of his former associates after his last legal problems.

However, a lot of people down there know who he is, are jeolous of his wealth, etc, and it's not like no one from his old neighborhood knows his new address.

Seriously?
are you arguing that he deserved this b/c of what he did in the past?
Absolutely not. The seriously comment is in regards to the lack of reading comprehension exhibited by the likes of War Eagle, southeast and sleeper that can't figure out how to decipher a timeline.

Originally I posted the wiki entry because War Eagle makes it sound like ST only plays football and lashes out with the name calling of moron when the fact that ST's past is relevant info at this time, IMO.

Might it be determined that this past had nothing to do with what has happened? Of course and it is likely that's what will happen, but to completely dismiss it right now is foolish. I mean do you think the Dade County police aren't taking his past into account right now? If they are, why shouldn't we?
if there's any connection, I'm sure we'll find out about it at some point. right now though, there doesn't seem to be any so I'm not sure how relevant this earlier incident is here.
:goodposting: Look, there have actually been a number of professional athletes that have been victims of home invasions this year. I believe it was Antoine Walker and someone else that actually got tied up and robbed even. It's possible that this relates to his previous incident, but there is no evidence of that yet and it's very possible that this was simply a robbery attempt by some thugs.

surprised this doesn't happen to a lot more guys.

they have money, are very visible and people are crazy. are we far off from kidnappings like they see in Colombia?

Seriously?
are you arguing that he deserved this b/c of what he did in the past?
Absolutely not. The seriously comment is in regards to the lack of reading comprehension exhibited by the likes of War Eagle, southeast and sleeper that can't figure out how to decipher a timeline.

Originally I posted the wiki entry because War Eagle makes it sound like ST only plays football and lashes out with the name calling of moron when the fact that ST's past is relevant info at this time, IMO.

Might it be determined that this past had nothing to do with what has happened? Of course and it is likely that's what will happen, but to completely dismiss it right now is foolish. I mean do you think the Dade County police aren't taking his past into account right now? If they are, why shouldn't we?
if there's any connection, I'm sure we'll find out about it at some point. right now though, there doesn't seem to be any so I'm not sure how relevant this earlier incident is here.
:goodposting: Look, there have actually been a number of professional athletes that have been victims of home invasions this year. I believe it was Antoine Walker and someone else that actually got tied up and robbed even. It's possible that this relates to his previous incident, but there is no evidence of that yet and it's very possible that this was simply a robbery attempt by some thugs.
Eddy Curry, apparently, they might have been linked. There have been several other similar incidents though, which raises the question of whether surrounding themselves with these kind of people/lifestyle is the smartest thing for some of these millionaire athletes to do, but that's for another thread.

The MSN story on this seems to be updated quite frequently: Link

A source said Taylor was shot on the inside of his leg during a home invasion involving "one or maybe more: individuals. The bullet pierced Taylor's femoral artery, causing him to get rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.

"He's in critical condition and has somewhat stabilized after surgery, but things could go either way at this point," the source said. "He's lost an incredible amount of blood. At this point, we're just waiting to see how he responds to the surgery."

Is he married? Was it a domestic issue?
No. He was at his house in Miami with his GF and their daughter. The reports are that he was shot by a robber.
Robber hired by the gf? Something smells here.
I'm hearing his house isn't in the best area of Dade County.
Do they have $700K houses in the bad parts of Miami?
If I saw a nice house for $700K in a major metropolitan area like Miami, I'd assume it's not in a nice neighborhood. That's not a lot of money for a really nice house.

No. He was at his house in Miami with his GF and their daughter. The reports are that he was shot by a robber.
Considering where most of the money in Dade county comes from, the richer houses hold some of the worst criminals in the country.

The MSN story on this seems to be updated quite frequently: Link

A source said Taylor was shot on the inside of his leg during a home invasion involving "one or maybe more: individuals. The bullet pierced Taylor's femoral artery, causing him to get rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.

"He's in critical condition and has somewhat stabilized after surgery, but things could go either way at this point," the source said. "He's lost an incredible amount of blood. At this point, we're just waiting to see how he responds to the surgery."
JLC just reported this:
Amy Shipley is reporting from Florida and she has chatted with family members who say Sean remains in surgery in critical condition. I am hearing the same thing from within this building. It's an ongoing situation
Seems there's some varying reports on whether he's actually out of surgery yet.

LaCanfora's blog (also updating frequently.

Clinton Portis Meeting The Media

"It's an unfortuate situation. No one really knows the logistics of what happened."

Clinton said the players have not been assured that Sean will survive:

"I've been todl hes lost a lot of blood and he's fighting to hold on."

Portis has never been to this specific house, but knows of it's location:

"It wasn't a bad neighborhood. It' not a high crime area."

Portis said Taylor has made changes in his life the past few years after starting a family:

"Ever since he had his child it was like a new Sean."
Sean's father, Pedro, the chief of police in Florida City, Florida, is with him at the hospital, according to the source. They believe the situation is stabalizing, and are obviously hoping for the best.

If I saw a nice house for $700K in a major metropolitan area like Miami, I'd assume it's not in a nice neighborhood. That's not a lot of money for a really nice house.
I love Iowa

I love Iowa
$700k would probably buy Iowa, huh?

Listening to 980 out of DC online and they say two TV stations and Ethan Albright report Taylor's in a coma.

eta: also speculating this could be medically-induced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to 980 out of DC online and they say two TV stations and Ethan Albright report Taylor's in a coma.eta: also speculating this could be medically-induced.
Well if he's still in surgery...he probably is in a coma. Duh.It could also be a medically induced coma for recuperative reasons.

I wonder why these sorts of things don't happen to players in the NHL or MLB? I mean they have lots of money and big houses.

Listening to 980 out of DC online and they say two TV stations and Ethan Albright report Taylor's in a coma.eta: also speculating this could be medically-induced.
Most likely until his blood pressure is up he will be in a medically induced coma to keep his body's requirements down and allow the fluids they replaced to get back up to full speed.I personally can't stand the guy on or off the field, but I really hope he pulls through and can regain his life and possibly even his career. If he lives then the Miami Metro-Dade EMS crew deserves all praises because you can bleed to death in minutes with a femoral artery injury. And I really hope they do a better job at finding the assailants than they did with the Darrent Williams shooting.

I wonder why these sorts of things don't happen to players in the NHL or MLB? I mean they have lots of money and big houses.
not sure about the MLB .... but can anyone , let alone criminals, recognize anyone in the NHL now a days..???Besides.... I believe a lot of foriegn players do have problems being robbed in Europe.

not sure about the MLB .... but can anyone , let alone criminals, recognize anyone in the NHL now a days..???Besides.... I believe a lot of foriegn players do have problems being robbed in Europe.
The Russian Mob's hold over young hockey players is out of control, not only Russian players but former Soviet republics and other Eastern European countries.Whoever hit Sean Taylor at 1:30 AM wasn't doing it because they recognized him, unless it was designed to hit Taylor in which case his past would be a lead into who did it.

Limp Ditka said:
Arrested for armed assault
Maybe he learned his lesson down?My faith in people is at an all time low right now.
The above incident is just part of the story. Let me fill you in on some details you seem to have left out.- Gang banger thugs broke into Sean Taylor's house and stole two ATV's worth over $20,000- The gangbangers made it known in the neighborhood that they stole the two ATVs from Taylor and were blatently making it known that they had two ATVs for sale.- Taylor originally called the cops to bust the punks but they were busy and weren't going to put a high priority on a crime involving property.- Taylor rounded up his posse and went to the gangbangers brandishing a weapon.- Taylor fired one shot into the air after he recoved HIS ATVs so the gangbangers did in fact steal his property.- The gangbangers had a LENGTHY criminal history.- The upset gangbangers who got roughed up went to Taylor's home while brandishing weapons. They fired hundreds of shots at Taylor's home and vehicle in the driveway. Taylor and his posse were in the residence but did not return fire. This happened right after the altercation.- When Taylor reported the incident to the police they turned the case over to a young prosecutor.- The prosecutor was a 26 year old who had his own MY SPACE website that showed him out dancing without a shirt and spinning records. He made it known on his website that his night life as a DJ was what he wanted to pursue.- The 26 year old prosecutor who was earning a six figure salary as prosecutor.- The 26 year old prosecutor had picturs of him with and many correspondences on his web page with UNDERAGE GIRLS. - The 26 year old prosecutor made it known on his web page that he was was prosecuting Sean Taylor in order to boost his image as more than just a DJ.- The 26 year old prosecutor made a deal with the gangbangers who broke into Taylor's garage where he would not file ANY CHARGES agasint the gangbangers who originally stole $20,000 worth of property, who had a lengthy criminal history, who fired HUNDREDS of rounds into an occupied residence. The prosecutor wanted to make a name for himself and went after Sean Taylor.- Taylor was facing TEN YEARS IN PRISION for firing ONE SHOT into the air while recovering HIS PROPERTY from known gangbangers with lengthy ciriminal histories. - After the facts of the case began to surface and the embarrassing photographs and correspondences with UNDERAGE females were made known the 26 year old prosecutor took down his MY SPACE page and was subsequently FIRED as a prosecutor so he could pursue his DJ occupation full time.- Sean Taylor was acquitted of all charges but the prosecutor. The gangbangers were still open to prosecution for many charges but that part of the story was never made public.If anything I would put the gangbangers who had stolen Taylor's property and who shot up his vehicle and residence as people of interest in this shooting.

Posted at 1:04 PM ET, 11/26/2007

Sean Taylor Recap

Here's what we know for sure:

Sean was shot near an artery in his thight, lost a lot of blood, and has been in surgery all day. The situation is very serious. He continues to be worked on as of this moment and the team continues to await for details from the hospital and family, as they are available.

Most of the players have left the building, with all but a very few opting not to speak to the media. No one knows enough to say anything substantially at this point, anyway, other than he has been in a life-threatening situation all day.

Several family members and family friends have told various Post reporters that he was in critical condition, but they were hopeful he was stabalizing. But the situation is in flux and can change at any moment.

Spoke to some people at the NFL who said in essence they have not received too much new information in the last hour or so, but that they have heard unofficially that there was an attempted robbery, Sean was shot, and he continues to be surgery and remains under surgical care.

Link

Reputable source on another board says Taylor flatlined on the way to the hospital and was revived. Has lost a tremendous amount of blood and is not out of the woods yet. Mom and girlfriend were at the house at the time of the incident.

Miami Herald

Retirees Pat and Jim Smith live in the house next to Taylor's. They said they heard voices outside about 2:20 a.m. and went outside to check it out. Jim Smith talked to a woman with a baby in her arms who he believes is Taylor's nanny. She said someone tried to break into the house last weekend and again earlier this weekend.

Reputable source on another board says Taylor flatlined on the way to the hospital and was revived. Has lost a tremendous amount of blood and is not out of the woods yet. Mom and girlfriend were at the house at the time of the incident.
:no: :lmao:

The bullet pierced Taylor's femoral artery, causing him to get rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.

"He's in critical condition and has somewhat stabilized after surgery, but things could go either way at this point," the source said.
MSN

Cooley said that the latest he heard on the situation was that Sean endured 6 hours of surgery today and is in a coma. He said that Santana Moss's mother is at the hospital and gave the team an update from there.
Link

Again from the other source, one twist as yet unexplained is that his girlfriend and mother apparently are at the police station and have been since the incident unfolded. They have not been released to go to the hospital. Sooooo, they're either involved somehow or their own safety is in question.

As a die hard Cowboys fan, all I can say is I hope Sean fully recovers.

All this speculation on why he was shot is ridiculous. Now is not the time for it. This is a real person with a child to live for.

Link

"From what I've heard from his family and I'm in constant contact with them from the hospital, he was shot in area where it is very difficult to operate," a Gulliver assistant football coach told me. "They think he's going to make it, but there's a fear his career is over. It's such a sad day around here. We're waiting by the phone to hear what's going on."

"He's had surgery and he's out of it now. I'm not sure if he's going to have other procedure. But from what I hear he may not be able to play again. They think his career is over. He lost too much blood and apparently it affected his brain some. It just doesn't sound good and its going to be a long road back to recovery."

Link

"From what I've heard from his family and I'm in constant contact with them from the hospital, he was shot in area where it is very difficult to operate," a Gulliver assistant football coach told me. "They think he's going to make it, but there's a fear his career is over. It's such a sad day around here. We're waiting by the phone to hear what's going on."

"He's had surgery and he's out of it now. I'm not sure if he's going to have other procedure. But from what I hear he may not be able to play again. They think his career is over. He lost too much blood and apparently it affected his brain some. It just doesn't sound good and its going to be a long road back to recovery."
that really friggin sucks man..hopefully he's not too bad

From Rotoworld...

Miami-Dade police say they've found no evidence of a robbery being the motive in Sean Taylor's Sunday night shooting.

Link

that really friggin sucks man..hopefully he's not too bad
If this is true, it breaks my heart. He has sounded to me like a guy who got his act together in his personal life in the last year-plus, and his athletic abilities are simply phenomenal. Man this sucks. :ph34r:

Link

From the same link, people might want to read this before they start to throw stones...
Taylor, 24, has made a living jarring receivers in the secondary for the Redskins and his jersey remains as popular as ever with Hurricanes fans. But lately, he had gotten into a bit of trouble including in 2005 for waving a gun at people he thought had stolen his car. I know folks automatically assume that means Taylor was a gangster or some guy that was hanging with the wrong crowd.

But according to his cousin, Florida State safety Anthony Leon, Taylor was trying to shed those friends he grew up with in Florida City. Leon, who told me has spent his morning crying and praying from his dorm room in Tallahassee, said Taylor had "started to calm down."

"He's been trying to stay away from bad company -- especially for his daughter's sake," Leon told me. "Sean wasn't a bad guy at all. He's got his personality on the football field and off it. All he was trying to do was protect his family. And they shot him."

Gulliver assistant coach,Ron Butler told me Taylor had stopped by Gulliver before the start of the season and often visited the school to speak to the team and to school administrators. Leon said he spoke to Taylor before the start of the season, "he told me just to keep trying hard, focus, that I was going to make it just like him."

Miami-Dade police say they've found no evidence of a robbery being the motive in Sean Taylor's Sunday night shooting.

The Miami Herald reported Monday that Taylor's girlfriend heard an intruder at the rear of his house and called police. When Taylor went to check on the situation, he was allegedly shot. Taylor is currently believed to be in a coma.
http://video1.washingtontimes.com/redskins...of_robbery.html
It appears that police are still trying to figure out how Sean Taylor got shot.

Several media reports suggest that Taylor was shot by an intruder during some sort of burglary attempt, but Miami-Dade police just told me that they have yet to uncover any solid evidence one way or another.

"At this time, to be honest, it's really unknown," police spokesman Mario Rashid said. "There's no evidence confirming any of that, or not. We're just trying to get any information about what happened."

The Miami Herald has reported that police were initially called by Taylor's girlfriend, claiming that there was someone at the rear door of the house. When Taylor went to check out the situation, he got shot by someone.

The Herald is reporting that some of Taylor's neighbors believe there may have been at least one break-in attempt at Taylor's house earlier in the week.

The only person who may know exactly what happened is Taylor, who remains in critical condition Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital. We are working to confirm reports that he is out of surgery.

From Rotoworld...Miami-Dade police say they've found no evidence of a robbery being the motive in Sean Taylor's Sunday night shooting.
Doesn't that mean then that either the people that were there were intent on something more evil (murder), or there weren't intruders at all and something else happened?

From Rotoworld...Miami-Dade police say they've found no evidence of a robbery being the motive in Sean Taylor's Sunday night shooting.
Doesn't that mean then that either the people that were there were intent on something more evil (murder), or there weren't intruders at all and something else happened?
full article is posted above and just says they don't know what happened. they're not denying the robbery angle but they aren't confirming it either.

"Can't find any evidence of a robbery" (apparently aside from the gunshot wounds :goodposting: ) seems like a huge negative pregnant, along the lines of "I didn't beat my wife last night". I guess they mean nothing was taken. A more plausible explanation at this point would seem to be that someone attempted to break in, was confronted by Taylor at some point early on, and shot Taylor and fled before stealing anything.

Why are we even speculating about this?
Benign theorizing. Why shouldn't we?

Trying to connect the dots with the little information we have daveandken.

Trying to connect the dots with the little information we have daveandken.
Sorry - just seems like a sensitive subject that we'd actually want facts on.

Users who are viewing this thread