What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies (1 Viewer)

Herald link

Miami Herald has a lot of links to soundbytes from family and friends and the like. Would say that and the Washington Post are the two best sources now and going forward.
FWIW, all the local DC TV stations have reporters down in Miami at the hospital and elsewhere and also out at Redskins Park. Some websites are wusa9.com, and nbc4.com for the CBS and NBC stations. Also sportstalk980.com, and the Redskins site, redskins.com

Say what you will, but the guy is a known criminal, living the "thug" lifestyle. Eventually, someone is going to get hurt, regardless of the situation. I repeat, it is sad that he died.
You haven't kept up with Sean Taylor's life and are speaking out of ignorance.
Yeah... yeah... yeah... he's a changed man, had a kid, turned his life around, found god. I got it. Doesn't really change my opinion.
Enjoy your timeout that is rightfully coming. You earned it.
So I'm not allowed to have an opinion? I'm sorry that I am not as sympathetic as you are. I feel bad for his family and friends. This just does not surprise me. The whole thing is suspicious, and I would like to see what other facts come to light. Until then, I am skeptical. Sue me.
Please be cool in here. I understand there are other opinions. But please be respectful in this thread. We ask that for pretty much with any thread like this when someone dies.J

Last edited by a moderator:
Say what you will, but the guy is a known criminal, living the "thug" lifestyle. Eventually, someone is going to get hurt, regardless of the situation. I repeat, it is sad that he died.
Yeah... yeah... yeah... he's a changed man, had a kid, turned his life around, found god. I got it. Doesn't really change my opinion.
So I'm not allowed to have an opinion? I'm sorry that I am not as sympathetic as you are. I feel bad for his family and friends. This just does not surprise me. The whole thing is suspicious, and I would like to see what other facts come to light. Until then, I am skeptical. Sue me.
Please be cool in here. I understand there are other opinions. But please be respectful in this thread. We ask that for pretty much with any thread like this when someone dies.J
:2cents: Come on guys. Lets not argue in this thread.

:2cents: It's about mourning a tragic event. If you want to take a whiz, go do it somewhere else.

I did not see this coming. I truly thought he was going to be a-ok.

This is horrible news. I don't even know what to say.

Just a horrible tragedy. RIP Sean Taylor. I truly enjoyed watching him play. An incredible athlete taken away far too soon.

What a ####ty way to wake up. I went to bed happy, things looked to be looking up. I went to bed, just wondering what he was going through. I wasn't concerned with him playing for the Skins anytime soon, but him just being with his daughter, and the rest of his family. Grim Reaper you will be missed.

RIP my brother!!!!!!

Lucky enough when the Skins came to New Orleans last year, I was able to get a picture with Sean, and also an autograph on a Full Size Team Helmet.

However my computer crashed, and the pictures just sit on my hard drive. :unsure: Now I really have to find someone to get my pictures from the Hard Drive

My thoughts and prayers go out to his fiance, child and family. I hate to see this type of thing happen.

Sure you are.It's just bad taste to say things like that when tragedy happens. You can say all the bad things you want about Sean Taylor, but it is pretty classless to talk ill of somebody within hours of their demise.Sean Taylor may or may not have been a thug, but now is not the time to pass judgment on a 24 year old kid who was from all accounts attempting to move in the right direction.

But you have kept up with Sean Taylor's life?
Yes, I'm a Redskin fan and I did, as much as you can with a guy who doesn't do interviews and posture for the media.His daughter was born between a year or 2 years ago and that seems to have been a redefining event in his life. The turnaround in him was noticeable to other players and to the coaches and they commented on it a lot. There are links around showing examples of this in the other thread, the one where it was thought he was going to live, you can find them if you really care.

He always was close with his family. He shared a home with his girlfriend and their daughter, who was the joy of his life. He was a very private man, and those who knew him (teammates and family) admired him and loved him. He had stayed away from trouble. He was at Redskin Park Thanksgiving Day talking with Larry Michael, and left to spend Thanksgiving with his family.

Link

Clinton Portis was virtually in tears speaking about Taylor, " everyone knows the changes Sean endured. He was a new Sean when he had his daughter. He changed his life, he changed his attitude, he wa sone of the best teammates you could have."

Gregg Williams had been touting Taylor as not only the best athlete he has coached, but a player who had matured to become of the leaders of this defense.. Chris Samuels said that he "had talked to coach Gibbs a few weeks back about how much Sean had matured."

Taylor was aloof with the media, he didn't trust us, including myself, I rarely if ever spoke to him. He declined practically every interview request from just about anyone who covered the team. But his teammates had spoken up for him in recent weeks saying what kind of teammate he'd become, how much repsonsibility he'd taken on about his profession as a football player and how the birth of his daughter really changed his attitude and outlook on life..
Another link
Daughter's Birth Changed Taylor's Outlook

November 26, 2007 - 6:12pm

By JOSEPH WHITE

AP Sports Writer

ASHBURN, Va. - A little girl changed Sean Taylor's life.

Before the birth of his daughter Jackie, the Washington Redskins safety was nothing but trouble, on and off the football field, an extremely gifted athlete known more for his misdeeds than for any tackle or interception.

If he could just clean up his act, the thinking went, he could become one of the best ever to play the game.

Taylor was in critical condition Monday after he was shot during a possible robbery at his home in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay, a tragic turn for a 24-year-old star who had matured immeasurably since Jackie's birth in May 2006 and, by all accounts, was having the best year of his career and his life.

"It's hard to expect a man to grow up overnight," said Redskins teammate and close friend Clinton Portis, who also played with Taylor at the University of Miami. "But ever since he had his child, it was like a new Sean, and everybody around here knew it. He was always smiling, always happy, always talking about his child."

Teammates and coaches often have portrayed Taylor as misunderstood, and that much was true. A private man with a small inner circle, Taylor became distrustful of reporters and anyone else he didn't know well. He rarely granted interviews, sometimes declining with a smile and a handshake and sometimes with a snarl that said: "Get out of my way."

But, behind the scenes, Taylor was described as personable and smart _ an emerging locker room leader.

"From the first day I met him, from then to now, it's just like night and day," Redskins receiver James Thrash said. "He's really got his head on his shoulders and has been doing really well as far as just being a man. It's been awesome to see that growth."."
Unfortunately both those articles were written when he was alive.

I had not seen these news updates in the thread so I wanted to add them in. Per ESPN this morning, Sean Taylor's house was broken into last week and a "kitchen-knife" was left on Taylor's bed. Per CNN this morning, Sean Taylor's attorney was interviewed and he stated that the phone lines to Taylor's house were cut the night he was shot, and that significantly delayed the 911 call and response.

I'm not one for conjecture, but the attorney went on to implicate 1-2 people who have a civil litigation against Taylor as "shady people of interest".

By many accounts Taylor had turned his life around since the birth of his 18 month old child.

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection.

Sorry but this was no burglary. That much is obvious. The guy got off 2 shots vs a machete wielding Taylor.

Now once again I ask, why was this guy not living in a secluded gate guarded community?

And who keeps a machete as protection?

It is truly sad that he died, but if you play with fire, eventually you're gonna get burned.
Huh? I thought he was shot due to a home invasion. How is that playing with fire?
It is truly sad that he died, but if you play with fire, eventually you're gonna get burned.
;)
Truth is you don't know #### about his lifestyle. You just know about 1 incident that the media had spoon fed you about a kid in his 20's who got excessively angry and had bad judgment when someone stole something from him. I think every athlete with his kind of money owns a gun and it wasn't "hot" off the street with bodies on it.If we all were judged off of our life's biggest mistake (he was a 1st time offender) nobodys #### would smell like roses............ including yours.Theres only 1 judge and it sure as hell isn't you.Edit - O and before you try and :rolleyes: , I live 5 minutes from Redskins park in Ashburn, Virginia and drink in the same bar most of the Skins do. So yeah, I hear a little more about whats going on than some tool who reads the new-papers for my final judgments.

Whats up with the ESPN coverage of this? Steeler highlights on ESPN, hoops on ESPN news and Mike and Mike talking about a muddy field? As far as I recall, a player being murdered in season is next to unprecentented in American sports(I think the guy who the natural was based on actually died from a gunshot wound in the 30's).

Bad job ESPN

There's no easy way to ask so I'll just do it the best that I can. How does the NFL salary cap work in terms of deceased players? Does his salary just come off the books? What about the signing bonus and such? Does his family still receive money from the contract?
I'm pretty sure it works just as a retirement does. I think I read here that the SBs get accelerated to this year. I don't think the Redskins are obligated to pay the Taylor family any more money, but I'm sure Snyder looks at his team as a family and they will be taken care of, especially considering how Taylor died.

My thoughts are with his family, especially his children and also to the entire Redskin organization.

What a shame.

come on, he had to know that alreadysit his butt down for a while to teach him mannerseveryone is aware of this guys past, this thread is not the place for it

You have to hope that Taylor's death, while tragic, will not be in vain. Maybe some other young athlete will realize that sometimes the best thing to do is distance yourself from your past, if that past is counterproductive to becoming the person you'd like to be. "Keeping it real" and "remembering where you came from" just aren't all that important. I have no doubt that Taylor was targeted, probably as a result of the ATV incident a while back. He should have let the police do their jobs, and if he never recouped those ATVs, buy more and get a better security system. By taking the law into his own hands, he pissed off the wrong people and that came back to haunt him. In no way am I saying his death is his own fault, but there has to be a way to educate these players and help them make better decisions. Had he not chosen the course of action he did, he might be out some ATVs, but he'd probably be alive right now. I know many people will say the incidents were unrelated, but all the evidence I've seen smacks of a deliberate attack here. Thieves don't "awaken [the homeowners] with loud noises" and break through the bedroom door blazing. This was an attack, an act of retribution.

I'm sorry for Taylor's family and friends, but hopefully this will serve as something of a wake-up call and may save the lives of numerous athletes down the road.

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection.

Sorry but this was no burglary. That much is obvious. The guy got off 2 shots vs a machete wielding Taylor.

Now once again I ask, why was this guy not living in a secluded gate guarded community?

My GF grabs a steak knife and keeps it by the bed when I'm gone. A weapon is a weapon is a weapon , is it really relevant? Sometimes its the shock factor , sometimes its lack of funds for others who use crude weapons.

One of my friends uses a Samurai Sword as his protection , I know I'd be scared if I broke in and saw someone wielding a sword.

Pisses me off that his daughter will grow up without Dad, and that Taylor won't see her grow up.
I am with you on that one. As a father myself, it's painful to think about any family in this situation. My thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and teammates. RIP Sean.

You have to hope that Taylor's death, while tragic, will not be in vain. Maybe some other young athlete will realize that sometimes the best thing to do is distance yourself from your past, if that past is counterproductive to becoming the person you'd like to be. "Keeping it real" and "remembering where you came from" just aren't all that important. I have no doubt that Taylor was targeted, probably as a result of the ATV incident a while back. He should have let the police do their jobs, and if he never recouped those ATVs, buy more and get a better security system. By taking the law into his own hands, he pissed off the wrong people and that came back to haunt him. In no way am I saying his death is his own fault, but there has to be a way to educate these players and help them make better decisions. Had he not chosen the course of action he did, he might be out some ATVs, but he'd probably be alive right now. I know many people will say the incidents were unrelated, but all the evidence I've seen smacks of a deliberate attack here. Thieves don't "awaken [the homeowners] with loud noises" and break through the bedroom door blazing. This was an attack, an act of retribution.I'm sorry for Taylor's family and friends, but hopefully this will serve as something of a wake-up call and may save the lives of numerous athletes down the road.
I'm sure it will be a cornerstone of the Rookie Symposium going forward and will not be in vain.The keeping it real part I don't think was any longer an issue and at the point he grew up (after his child was born) hindsight was 20/20 about how it was handled.How I would handle situations in life now that I have a son and someone depending on me is 360 degrees different than how I would have handled things when I was single, I'm no longer responsible for just my own well being.

Whats up with the ESPN coverage of this? Steeler highlights on ESPN, hoops on ESPN news and Mike and Mike talking about a muddy field? As far as I recall, a player being murdered in season is next to unprecentented in American sports(I think the guy who the natural was based on actually died from a gunshot wound in the 30's). Bad job ESPN
It may be a blessing that they are not talking about it yet. This has to be a dream story for E!SPN, and I'd rather they didn't report on it than what I'm affraid they may do with the story.

I don't know, but I know that you shouldn't bring a knife to a gunfight.
You keep a machete as protection when you are still on probation for gun charges and a violation of the probation will send you to jail.A better question is where was Sean's posse or at least some friends or security guards.
Taylor's lawyer said his probation was over. Taylor didn't have a gun in the house because he doesn't usually have one. In fact, his lawyer said they proved in the ATV case that Taylor never even took a gun with him to confront the thieves.

You keep a machete as protection when you are still on probation for gun charges and a violation of the probation will send you to jail.A better question is where was Sean's posse or at least some friends or security guards.
Taylor's lawyer said his probation was over. Taylor didn't have a gun in the house because he doesn't usually have one. In fact, his lawyer said they proved in the ATV case that Taylor never even took a gun with him to confront the thieves.
I missed that. Doc Walker was speculating a lot about why he had the machete this morning and saying that the probation was still on-going. I guess I'd believe the lawyer over the D-O-C.

Security guards sure but i think Tank Johnson might argue with you on the posse idea. The whole things just sad and its crazy to second guess a person put in a life or death situation in the dead of night- you cant expect them to act perfectly rationally (the number of people shot by cops on drug raids that enter the wrong house in the dead of night is shocking btw). Ideally he would have had a cell phone in his hand instead of a machete and been hunkered down in a safe room, but that easy to say in retrospect.

People are really unbelievable. No matter if you don't care for a person, to make negative comments when someone has died is classless to say the least. This is an FF board, but seeing some of the peoples reaction around here makes me sick to my stomach. The saying is, if you have nothing good to say THEN DON'T SAY IT AT ALL. A few need to learn what RESPECT for others really means....sad.

Huh? I thought he was shot due to a home invasion. How is that playing with fire?
:mellow:
Living the "thug" lifestyle by moving away from his troubled neighborhood to a new community where his neighbors were affluent retirees? By all reports he distanced himself from that lifestyle. By your reports he didn't. You don't have a source, I'll stick to the people who do. Again, nice of you to ruin the RIP thread. Have a good day.
Oh get over your high and mighty self. I'm not dancing on his grave for crying out loud. I am merely pointing out the fact that the guy made enemies with gangsters and criminals. This SAD story simply does not surprise me in the very least.
Please just go away.

The keeping it real part I don't think was any longer an issue and at the point he grew up (after his child was born) hindsight was 20/20 about how it was handled.
That's just it - I think this stemmed from an incident that should have been buried long ago. Even if you change your life, it doesn't mean your "enemies" have changed. The only way to avoid the problem is to not make those enemies in the first place. That's why it's so important to make rookies and other young players understand this... when you're that age, you're invincible in your own mind, and it just isn't the case. One foolish decision when you're 21 years old, and your life could be ruined.The thing is, the league can talk about it all they want, but no message will ever be as profound or impactful to these young players than Taylor's death will be. That's why I just hope that something good can come out of this senseless murder, and perhaps someone else's life will be spared. Likely, we'll never know about it if it happens, but I'd like to hope that the guy's death wasn't entirely in vain.

I missed that. Doc Walker was speculating a lot about why he had the machete this morning and saying that the probation was still on-going. I guess I'd believe the lawyer over the D-O-C.
I can't remember which show I heard him on. Maybe Riggins.

Users who are viewing this thread