What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Bush (1 Viewer)

I really like Bush and think he can become a great NFL player. But I think that D. Williams and Maroney are more NFL-ready backs right now, in terms of a resume of highlight plays that translate to the NFL in a scout's mind. There always is someone who can come along and break the mold of the prototypical NFL player at a given position (see Vick, Michael), and Reggie may be that guy for every down RBs. But my opinion is that both his "lankiness" as someone called it and his lack of runs in between the tackles will drive him down some in the eyes of the typical NFL scout. Whether that is changed during his season this year remains to be seen.
:goodposting: Bush might be a first round pick and might have a decent NFL career, but DW and Maroney will be taken ahead of him in April's draft.

Bush is getting too much hype for someone who will not be drafted as one of the top 2 RBs.
Reggie Bush is, without question, going to be the top RB drafted if he remains healthy and declares. And to those who question his size but point toward Maroney...

Bush = 6'0", 205 lbs and runs a 4.4 and has vision that you can't teach

Maroney = 5'11", 210 lbs and runs a 4.55 and isn't a game breaker

Comparing the two is sacreligious IMHO
Keep in mind that I wrote the quoted post back on May 3rd. After seeing a couple of his games, I agree that he will be the #1 RB and that size is not an issue. However, I still think that to be completely effective, he needs to be used a certain way and is obviously best used in space. If the team that drafts him tries to use him as a pile mover between the tackles, I feel that he will underperform. Side Comment - Erik K on ESPNRadio yesterday said that the Texans would take him with the #1 pick because they don't need Leinart with Carr there. I almost swerved off the road. DD is vastly underrated and the Texans would be fools to take Bush over Leinart.
If the Texans don't take the top-rated OL with their first pick, Casserly (or whomever has the responsibility for the pick) should be lynched.
His name is D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and he should be the #1 overall in the 06 draft. He's a Walter Jones type of dominating athletic lineman who will be a pro-bowler for years to come. If Houston passes on him, they are fools.

For what it's worth, after coaching in the pros and against Reggie this past weekend, Charlie Weis told him and the media he fully expects him to have a successful pro career as a RB and when asked to liken him to someone he stated he most reminded him of Marshall Faulk coming out.
Yep, that's the most common comparison and it's valid because of the receiving angle, but, I remember Marshall in college and... sheesh... Reggie is not THAT unstoppable and explosive. When we start dropping HoF names like Sanders, Sayers, and Faulk... well, I think caution is due. It's nice to hope, but really, Sanders ran for 2600+ YARDS and 39 TDS in ONE season. :excited:

Faulk was ripping off 300 yard games with no help as a FRESHMAN at SDSU. :shock:
I agree. I remember Faulk running amuck on "The U" being the only player on that Aztec team. Watching him when you got the chance was a rare treat and you knew you were watching someone destined for greatness. Not saying Bush won't be a good one, but I just don't get the same feeling as I did watching Faulk.

He will be the next Marshall Faulk in the NFL
How can Bush be the next Marshall Faulk when Chris Perry is the next Marshall Faulk?
Perry might well be an excellent example of the importance of which team drafting you having an immense impact on your career.Imagine if Bush was drafted by the Steelers?

For what it's worth, after coaching in the pros and against Reggie this past weekend, Charlie Weis told him and the media he fully expects him to have a successful pro career as a RB and when asked to liken him to someone he stated he most reminded him of Marshall Faulk coming out.
Yep, that's the most common comparison and it's valid because of the receiving angle, but, I remember Marshall in college and... sheesh... Reggie is not THAT unstoppable and explosive. When we start dropping HoF names like Sanders, Sayers, and Faulk... well, I think caution is due. It's nice to hope, but really, Sanders ran for 2600+ YARDS and 39 TDS in ONE season. :excited:

Faulk was ripping off 300 yard games with no help as a FRESHMAN at SDSU. :shock:
I agree. I remember Faulk running amuck on "The U" being the only player on that Aztec team. Watching him when you got the chance was a rare treat and you knew you were watching someone destined for greatness. Not saying Bush won't be a good one, but I just don't get the same feeling as I did watching Faulk.
So your the ONE. :P

Maroney will stay in school. He wouldn't get drafted before:1. Bush2. D. Williams3. L. White4. L. WashingtonI agree with the earlier post taht Washington will shoot up draft boards after his workouts. He can REALLY catch well and has blazing speed. He reminds me a lot of B.Westbrook. Imagine a Colts, Rams or Eagles style Offense with R. Bush in the backfield. Absolutely TERRIFYING for D-Coordinators to contemplate.Charlie Weiss says he's like Faulk. Who can argue with him?

Maroney will stay in school. He wouldn't get drafted before:

1. Bush

2. D. Williams

3. L. White

4. L. Washington

I agree with the earlier post taht Washington will shoot up draft boards after his workouts. He can REALLY catch well and has blazing speed. He reminds me a lot of B.Westbrook.

Imagine a Colts, Rams or Eagles style Offense with R. Bush in the backfield. Absolutely TERRIFYING for D-Coordinators to contemplate.

Charlie Weiss says he's like Faulk. Who can argue with him?
Last year nearly everyone thought that Maroney was better than Barber, yet Barber is performing just as well as Julius Jones right now. I can understand Bush and possibility Williams going before him, but why would a team draft White or Washington over Maroney?

Maroney will stay in school. He wouldn't get drafted before:

1. Bush

2. D. Williams

3. L. White

4. L. Washington

I agree with the earlier post taht Washington will shoot up draft boards after his workouts. He can REALLY catch well and has blazing speed. He reminds me a lot of B.Westbrook.

Imagine a Colts, Rams or Eagles style Offense with R. Bush in the backfield. Absolutely TERRIFYING for D-Coordinators to contemplate.

Charlie Weiss says he's like Faulk. Who can argue with him?
Last year nearly everyone thought that Maroney was better than Barber, yet Barber is performing just as well as Julius Jones right now. I can understand Bush and possibility Williams going before him, but why would a team draft White or Washington over Maroney?
LenDale White is a STUD. A few of us USC homers think he will be a better pro than Bush. We'll see. White has quick feet for a big man, and he is very powerful. His vision is terrific, and he is deceptively fast. My guess is that he will run a 4.5 or better in the 40 and catch some scouts' eyes. Maroney, Williams and Bush are all interesting also. I think this will be an awesome RB draft.

White is a lot better than most people realize. He doesn't quite have the moves of Bush, but he's much more powerful and he has excellent feet. I won't be surprised if he's a top 10 pick, although he'll have to post respectable workout numbers.

White is a lot better than most people realize. He doesn't quite have the moves of Bush, but he's much more powerful and he has excellent feet. I won't be surprised if he's a top 10 pick, although he'll have to post respectable workout numbers.
hey EBF,But will he? I know you have some great ideas about trying to use workout numbers to judge RBs and I think that White will fall short by those measurements, regardless of whether he really will be a better RB than Bush.

I've seen Reggie Bush play a few times and have been pretty impressed with his abilities, and he is quite highly regarded on this board and by others (John Clayton just mentioned he would have been a Top 3 pick this year in an ESPN chat). That's why this scouting report was so interesting:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile...Prospect_ID=236

The report basically says that he is going to struggle at the next level because he does not have the size/strength to be effective - he's an Eric Metcalf type tweener player without a true position. This seems to really go against what most have been saying about Bush, but it is interesting none the less.

Anyone with any thoughts?

:popcorn:
first of all, why would you listen to fftoolbox in regards to real football, i.e., the NFL draft?? do they go to games and scout players from Ball State or from Montclair State University?? um, NO...its a fantasy football site, thats it..not 100% sure, but didn't we hear the 'too small , marginal size' thing about Marcus Allen when he came out of USC? he wasn't exactly huge either.

'they' also said Emmitt Smith was too small to play, same with Joe Morris, even Clinton Portis was considered a 'tweaner', remember??

all I know is Bush is breaking tackles, scoring Td's when they need him to.

they wouldn't be two time defending nat'l champs without Reggie Bush..

try a reputable outfit for scouting reports, such as Scouts, Inc. , draftblitz.com, even Kiper has quality draft info..

don't listen to a fantasy football website on NFL draft day advice..

hey EBF,But will he? I know you have some great ideas about trying to use workout numbers to judge RBs and I think that White will fall short by those measurements, regardless of whether he really will be a better RB than Bush.
I'd say yes. White is no slug. He's pretty fast in a straight line and I think he's going to do well in the jumps because of his strong legs. If the numbers that Ronnie Brown and Cedric Benson posted in their workouts were good enough to get them picked in the top 5 then White's numbers will almost certainly be good enough to get him picked in the top 15.On a side note, people citing Bush's lack of production as an argument against his merits as a draft prospect need to realize that the reason his numbers aren't better is because USC has the luxury of resting him. If USC didn't happen to have another elite back whose style perfectly contrasts Bush's then they would run Reggie a lot more. The result would be a whole lot more yardage for Bush. If Bush was on a team with mediocre athletes, as Faulk and LT were, he would be receiving a lot more touches.

Realize that either Bush or White would be the unquestioned star RB on 98% of college teams. It just so happens that they play together, as was the case with Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown last year.

I'd say yes. White is no slug. He's pretty fast in a straight line and I think he's going to do well in the jumps because of his strong legs. If the numbers that Ronnie Brown and Cedric Benson posted in their workouts were good enough to get them picked in the top 5 then White's numbers will almost certainly be good enough to get him picked in the top 15.On a side note, people citing Bush's lack of production as an argument against his merits as a draft prospect need to realize that the reason his numbers aren't better is because USC has the luxury of resting him. If USC didn't happen to have another elite back whose style perfectly contrasts Bush's then they would run Reggie a lot more. The result would be a whole lot more yardage for Bush. If Bush was on a team with mediocre athletes, as Faulk and LT were, he would be receiving a lot more touches.

Realize that either Bush or White would be the unquestioned star RB on 98% of college teams. It just so happens that they play together, as was the case with Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown last year.
Not that it really matters all that much any more, but wasn't White like the #5 RB coming out of high school? I agree with EBF, this guy will do very well at the combine/pro day. He very well could vault up to the #3 back taken. Really just depends on who is picking where IMO and what kind of player they are looking for.

I agree with EBF, this guy will do very well at the combine/pro day. He very well could vault up to the #3 back taken. Really just depends on who is picking where IMO and what kind of player they are looking for.
Scout.com had him rated as the #14 RB prospect in 2003. He had scholarship offers from Michigan, Texas, and several other major programs. Anyhow, I've seen USC a lot this year and I can't emphasize enough that White is a premiere prospect. DeAngelo Williams and Laurence Maroney are bigger names around here, but neither has White's size and each has his fair share of flaws. Don't be surprised if White is drafted ahead of these backs, although there's still a lot of football to be played.

I agree with EBF, this guy will do very well at the combine/pro day. He very well could vault up to the #3 back taken. Really just depends on who is picking where IMO and what kind of player they are looking for.
Scout.com had him rated as the #14 RB prospect in 2003. He had scholarship offers from Michigan, Texas, and several other major programs. Anyhow, I've seen USC a lot this year and I can't emphasize enough that White is a premiere prospect. DeAngelo Williams and Laurence Maroney are bigger names around here, but neither has White's size and each has his fair share of flaws. Don't be surprised if White is drafted ahead of these backs, although there's still a lot of football to be played.
This also leads to why I, along with many, think Bush is such a rare prospect and talent. Most people don't seem to understand around here that just him keeping White as the backup (I use that loosly) is a task that IMO, no other RB in the country could probably handle. At best maybe 3 RB could keep White there other than Bush. USC does not NEED to use both Bush and White to be successfull, it's only that it woudl be fooish not too. Both of them could run wild as a featured RB at any other campus in the country IMO.

If you want to see why so many people feel that he will be similar to Faulk, you don't need to look up any stats..... simple watch the guy play. If you don't see any sort of similarity, then come back and call us all liers.

I don't see too many similarities. They both have great change of direction skills and they both were very productive when they touched the ball. But, Faulk had better hands and feel in the passing game and Faulk had better vision in College. Bush has better top end speed than Faulk ever had. I agree with the folks who feel he may not be a great RB in the pros as he hasn't had to shoulder a heavy load and it is a risk to take him very high in the hopes he can. He would move up the draft boards if he carried the ball 30 times a few weeks in a row.

I don't think people truly understand how much different the pro game is than college. The only analogy I can give is when you first went to High School and the difference between Varsity and Freshman (and I am not sure if I am doing it justice)

I think he'll be fine and a great total yardage RB in the NFL.  I can understand the size/strength risk right now, but the kid is 6' 200 lbs and only 20.  He might even have some natural growing left.  Once he hits the weights and gets into some sort of training program preparing himself for the NFL he'll be fine. 

Kevin Jones was once considered an NFL risk becuase of his size while at VT.  IIRC he was listed at 6' 200 his first year there and by his Junior year (21 years old) was listed at 6' 209.  Then he shows up to the combine at 5'11 and 225.
I refuse to watch college football until they get a playoff, so forgive my ignorance, but I thought he was a WR. :coffee:
Do you live in a cave? You don't have to watch college football to know anything about Reggie Bush.

It's time to put the so-&-so player did it at 200 pounds talk to rest. The NFL has changed. Players are stronger than they were 10 years ago & much stronger than they were 20 years ago. You have DBs nowdays who can do 20-some reps at 225. Today's RB needs to be strong to excel. Weight doesn't neccessarily equal strength, but on average, the bigger (heavier) a player is, the stronger he is.I'm not saying Bush can't be an outstanding NFL RB, but I don't believe there's any doubt he'll need to get stronger to be a really successful feature back. Can he gain that strength without losing speed & quickness? Well, that's the rub. DISCLAIMER: I'm unaware of Bush's current level of strength. My statement regarding his need to gain strength stems only from my observations. BTW, I believe Caddy is another RB who needs to get stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's time to put the so-&-so player did it at 200 pounds to rest. The NFL has changed. Players are stronger than they were 10 years ago & much stronger than they were 20 years ago. You have DBs nowdays who can do 20-some reps at 225.

Today's RBs need to be strong to excel. Strength doesn't neccessarily equal weight, but on average, the bigger (heavier) the player is, the stronger he is.

I'm not saying Bush can't be an outstanding NFL RB, but I don't believe there's any doubt he'll need to get stronger to be a really successful feature back. Can he gain that strength without losing speed & quickness? Well, that's the rub.

DISCLAIMER: I'm unaware of Bush's current level of strength. My statement regarding his need to gain strength stems only from my observations. BTW, I believe Caddy is another RB who needs to get stronger.
Bush gained at least 5 lbs of muscle this past year and lost no speed. I'm sure he can do the same again.Anyway, I still don't get where this perception of the need for RBs to be so big comes from. Bush is already as big as several successful NFL RBs. Will the NFL change that much from this year to next when Bush gets drafted?

If Bush isn't one of the first two picks this year I'll be downright stunned...he's baffling.
:goodposting: I'm convinced now. Although that fumble might have been due to him getting so much work.... :P

49ers fan hoping (praying) that the Niners lose enough games to be able to pick up Bush in '06 draft (along with a couple of linemen).

It dpends on where he gets drafted. If the Jets pick him he will suck behind that line. If a team like KC trades up for him he will be a top runner.Back in 1990 The Jets pick Blair Thomas as the #2 pick. Dallas takes Emmitt smith as the #17 pick. If the Jets pick Emmitt and Blair Thomas goes to Dallas Emmitt gets squat running for the pathetic Jets back then. B.Thomas has a 95% chance of winning 3 superbowls.

It dpends on where he gets drafted. If the Jets pick him he will suck behind that line. If a team like KC trades up for him he will be a top runner.

Back in 1990 The Jets pick Blair Thomas as the #2 pick. Dallas takes Emmitt smith as the #17 pick. If the Jets pick Emmitt and Blair Thomas goes to Dallas Emmitt gets squat running for the pathetic Jets back then. B.Thomas has a 95% chance of winning 3 superbowls.
Situation definitely plays a role, but let's not get rediculous.

It dpends on where he gets drafted. If the Jets pick him he will suck behind that line. If a team like KC trades up for him he will be a top runner.

Back in 1990 The Jets pick Blair Thomas as the #2 pick. Dallas takes Emmitt smith as the #17 pick. If the Jets pick Emmitt and Blair Thomas goes to Dallas Emmitt gets squat running for the pathetic Jets back then. B.Thomas has a 95% chance of winning 3 superbowls.
Situation is critical for sure. HOWEVER, I think one of the things that makes Bush so intriguing is his natural ability in space and his instincts. He appears to be in that rarified company of backs who can actually flourish without the aid of an above average line.

If Bush isn't one of the first two picks this year I'll be downright stunned...he's baffling.
He will be one of the first two. The dude can play. I don't understand how anybody can watch him and not think he's a great pro prospect.

He will be one of the first two. The dude can play. I don't understand how anybody can watch him and not think he's a great pro prospect.
Yep...agreed. At some point you just have to believe your eyes. While plenty of backs have amassed tons of raw statistics and ended up mediocre (or outright bad) pros, I've never come close to seeing someone do the things Bush does and have him end up a dud (barring injury of course).It's going to be very interesting to see whether Leinart holds onto the top spot or whether Bush can really be in the hunt. Presumably Winston will play a role two although history suggests that with two premier skill position players up for grabs, it's going to be hard for an OT to get the 1st overall pick (particularly in a year that's very deep at tackle).

It's going to be very interesting to see whether Leinart holds onto the top spot or whether Bush can really be in the hunt. Presumably Winston will play a role two although history suggests that with two premier skill position players up for grabs, it's going to be hard for an OT to get the 1st overall pick (particularly in a year that's very deep at tackle).
Despite Colin's recent rave review of Winston his stock is falling fast. He gave up 7 sacks in the first seven games, then had a couple nice performances, but gave up two more this past weekend. He is a phenomenal run blocker, but the preseason concerns about his pass blocking technique have come to fruition. D'Brick also had a tough week against Tapp, but he's as good a run blocker and has been much better in pass protection this year. A week old consensus of pro scouts that's been floating around has them ranked: Leinart, Bush, Ferguson. Winston was #10 in that consensus with a high of 8 and a low of 14. It's OT for this thread, but I'm starting to believe all the hype over the OLs (which I've bought until now) will subside by April. Fergy had a tough outting with Tapp this weekend too.

Despite Colin's recent rave review of Winston his stock is falling fast. He gave up 7 sacks in the first seven games, then had a couple nice performances, but gave up two more this past weekend. He is a phenomenal run blocker, but the preseason concerns about his pass blocking technique have come to fruition. D'Brick also had a tough week against Tapp, but he's as good a run blocker and has been much better in pass protection this year. A week old consensus of pro scouts that's been floating around has them ranked: Leinart, Bush, Ferguson. Winston was #10 in that consensus with a high of 8 and a low of 14. It's OT for this thread, but I'm starting to believe all the hype over the OLs (which I've bought until now) will subside by April. Fergy had a tough outting with Tapp this weekend too.
How did D'Brickshaw Ferguson far versus Tapp this weekend?

Anyone hear how Ferguson did against Tapp this weekend?

I said it was a tough game for Ferguson. Are you asking for details or pointing out what I already mentioned? I can't tell. :confused: In case you want the details, Tapp beat Fergy once on a speed rush and got a sack... man up. He beat him another time and was credited with a pressure. Tapp had another sack on a stunt-- not Fergie's fault. But, D'Brick admitted he had a bad game and has to get better. Still, he has separated from Winston over the course of the season. This was his only bad game, while Winston has given up 9 sacks in 10 games. A Winston fan could note that he did better against Tapp, but that's the only comparison where Winston did better all year.

Bush has convinced me. I wondered how he would handle a ton of touches. Guy is freakin' awesome. Faulk is definately the comparison - a lot of similarities. What a talent.

Questions: the Faulk comparisions in running style / ability are obvious. How does Bush stack up in the other areas, and how is he projected for Pass protection? That was one of the underated but most important aspects to Faulk.

I said it was a tough game for Ferguson. Are you asking for details or pointing out what I already mentioned? I can't tell. :confused: In case you want the details, Tapp beat Fergy once on a speed rush and got a sack... man up. He beat him another time and was credited with a pressure. Tapp had another sack on a stunt-- not Fergie's fault. But, D'Brick admitted he had a bad game and has to get better. Still, he has separated from Winston over the course of the season. This was his only bad game, while Winston has given up 9 sacks in 10 games. A Winston fan could note that he did better against Tapp, but that's the only comparison where Winston did better all year.
Can't speak for Redman, but I was just trying to be funny.

Questions: the Faulk comparisions in running style / ability are obvious. How does Bush stack up in the other areas, and how is he projected for Pass protection? That was one of the underated but most important aspects to Faulk.
He picks up the blitz well. But, he's usually in the pattern. Definitely an area that will need work, but less work than a typical rookie. I agree with others that think he's going to be very good-- probably great. He did have 34 touches against Fresno State. I'm not concerned about durability. He gets stronger as the game goes on.

How would Reggie Bush look in a Packers' uniform? I think the Texans are going to stick with D Davis, and Frisco will not spend the money for Bush's huge contract. A Green is a free agent at the end of the year, and GB needs a new franchise face to replace Bret Favre. Just a little food for thought. I'm not a Packers fan, I just think it might be a good fit. He'd sell tickets. He's going to be like Vick, where people will pay money just to see him.

Users who are viewing this thread