What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Wayne Re-signs With Colts (1 Viewer)

surferskin

Footballguy
Just heard it on fox sports radio...supposedly he's the 3rd highest paid receiver EVER. that's pretty crazy for a #2 WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like they are working to keep Edge under contract. I think they could work the numbers right to keep him there. He is a perfect fit for that team and they should figure something out. Seems like money hog Manning would restructure or something if he wants to keep Edge as bad as he says he does.

Colts lock up Wayne for nearly $40 million

Jay Glazer

2/22/2006

The free-agency period has yet to begin but one potential free agent has already hit for a big payday.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Colts agreed to terms Wednesday with wide receiver Reggie Wayne on a six-year deal worth nearly $40 million including $13.5 million in bonus money. Wayne was slated to become an unrestricted free agent and his signing now weakens an already extremely weak receiver free agent class.

While the contract terms have been agreed upon by both sides Wayne has not yet officially signed and should as soon as the NFL approves the deal.

The deal also makes him the third highest-paid receiver in the NFL behind teammate Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss. By getting the Wayne deal done the Colts do not have to use the franchise tag on him, a move they were primed to make had they not worked out a new contract. It's unclear whether they will use the tag on free agent running back Edgerrin James, but right now that appears to be unlikely.

Wayne had 83 catches this past season for 1,055 yards and five touchdowns in the Colts' high-powered attack.

http://msn.foxsports.com

Just heard it on fox sports radio...supposedly he's the 3rd highest paid receiver EVER. that's pretty crazy for a #2 WR.
"highest ever" doesn't necessarily mean as much as it sounds like it does, since the cap, salaries etc keep going up. Still, I hope they didn't sell the farm on this guy. He's good but not THAT freakin good. IMO.

Poor Iggle fans thought they had TO's replacement all lined up....WOOPSIE!
:D this is true.
:confused: WTF are you talking about. I live not too far from the Philly area and there's not one person I've talked to or any radio show hosts (or callers) that had ANY illusion that he'd come to the Eagles.

:confused: WTF are you talking about. I live not too far from the Philly area and there's not one person I've talked to or any radio show hosts (or callers) that had ANY illusion that he'd come to the Eagles.
ok, in your little world you've never heard any eagle fans wanting reggie wayne...thanks for the info. :thumbup:

ok, in your little world you've never heard any eagle fans wanting reggie wayne...thanks for the info. :thumbup:
where's that pot/kettle icon :rolleyes: thx for the relevant post from never-neverland.Anyway, back to reality.

I wonder how friendly that deal will be in the first year?

That is way too much money for a ordinary WR.

You know what , any WR with little talent would do as good in Indy with Manning at QB.

Look at what Stokeley did as third WR two years ago , he could not repeat this year due to injuries .

But Stokeley could do as good as Wayne if he was number 2.

$13.5 million signing bonus and $40 million? So what? Holt got a $13.5 million signing bonus 2 years ago. I'm guessing that if you take out years 6 and 7 at $8 and $9 million you have a $23 million deal with a $13.5 million signing bonus which hurts the cap more than most years because the SB is prorated over only 4 years instead of the life of the contract.

I think Edge is outta Indy now. No way his ego lets him make less than a WR2 and I don't think the Colts can afford $15 million for his signing bonus....And don't kid yourself that he's the #1 there. He might be in a couple of years, but until Harrison shows he can't do it anymore he will be the #1....

$13.5 million in bonus money
Not that bad actually when you consider his age and that he's becoming the #1 WR for the Colts. All the Colts have to do is hope that he doesn't get injured.

$13.5 million signing bonus and $40 million? So what? Holt got a $13.5 million signing bonus 2 years ago. I'm guessing that if you take out years 6 and 7 at $8 and $9 million you have a $23 million deal with a $13.5 million signing bonus which hurts the cap more than most years because the SB is prorated over only 4 years instead of the life of the contract.

I think Edge is outta Indy now. No way his ego lets him make less than a WR2 and I don't think the Colts can afford $15 million for his signing bonus....And don't kid yourself that he's the #1 there. He might be in a couple of years, but until Harrison shows he can't do it anymore he will be the #1....
holt is much better than reggie wayne in case you didn't know.HTH :thumbup:

Not unexpected...

I would agree with others in that this already cements what we've known for weeks, that Edge is going elsewhere.

Furthermore, T.O. and A. Randel-El are happy campers at this point. Both are decidedly well positioned given where Wayne has set the market and given how weak the WR class is [both in free agency and the draft].

Why only 4 years?

holt is much better than reggie wayne in case you didn't know.HTH :thumbup:
Oh, I totally agree. What I was saying is that this contract may look huge on paper, but he's never going to see the last 2 or even 3 years of that contract. When you look at it as a $23-25 million contract with a signing bonus that another WR got 2 years ago, it doesn't look all that impressive.....Manning's contract = Impressive. Wayne's? Not so much.....Take for example Orlando Pace's original contract. The Poston's reported it as the richest for a lineman in the history of the NFL and Pace was a rookie. They called it a $30+ million contract. In actuallity it was the identical 6 year $18 million deal that the Rams offered right out of the gate except with a bunch of extra inatainable incentives like being named SB MVP was worth something like $4 million dollars. There are a lot of ways of making a contract look huge but it doesn't mean it is....

Why only 4 years?
Becausr the collective bargaining agreement has not been extended. It will make it more difficult for any of the high priced FA's to get the big money we've seen thrown around in the past. I wonder if there are provisions in the Wayne that push the bonus out over 7 years should the CBA be extended.....

:yawn: Go troll elsewhere. I'm NOT an Eagles fan so I couldn't care less who they sign. I am, however, forced to listen to the biggest sports station in the Philly area (610 WIP) if I want my sports fix and no one had mentioned Wayne's name except to say he was going to re-sign with Indy when they ran down the names of FA WR. Most talk centered around drafting a WR or going after Bruce or Moulds if they are let go.

:yawn: Go troll elsewhere. I'm NOT an Eagles fan so I couldn't care less who they sign. I am, however, forced to listen to the biggest sports station in the Philly area (610 WIP) if I want my sports fix and no one had mentioned Wayne's name except to say he was going to re-sign with Indy when they ran down the names of FA WR. Most talk centered around drafting a WR or going after Bruce or Moulds if they are let go.
And also of note, not many Eagle fans see Wayne as a #1 receiver. The general consensus is correct that Wayne would not be a good fit in Philly. Lame attempt on your part to bash Eagle fans.

So they have the 1st and 3rd highest paid WRs and the highest paid QB. How well is Freeney paid? HTH can they afford this?
I think they are using the Redskin's accountants.

The Colts can keep beefing up their high powered offense. Too bad in reality, defense wins championships. Maybe until Manning restructures his contract in order to buy some good defensive players, they have no chance at winning a SB anytime soon. They can beat on Houston and Tennessee all they want.

So they have the 1st and 3rd highest paid WRs and the highest paid QB. How well is Freeney paid? HTH can they afford this?
They hired Howard Mudd as the OL coach and he turned...well...Mud into men (ignoring the final playoff game against the Steelers). The guy is a genius with transforming 7th-round and undrafted free agents into starting NFL OL.

That is way too much money for a ordinary WR.

You know what , any WR with little talent would do as good in Indy with Manning at QB.

Look at what Stokeley did as third WR two years ago , he could not repeat this year due to injuries .

But Stokeley could do as good as Wayne if he was number 2.
I agree.The Colts aren't going to win a Super Bowl if they pay offensive players based on how good Manning makes them look. They would have been better off promoting Stokley and spending this money on other needs.

who said you were an eagles fan? but are you sure you're not? you've got all the signs of being one...you're quick to argue and whiney. :confused:

:lmao:

Great idea, Indy. The highest paid QB, and two of the top three highest paid WRs. What could go wrong?

:lmao:

who said you were an eagles fan? but are you sure you're not? you've got all the signs of being one...you're quick to argue and whiney. :confused:
:yawn:

The Colts can keep beefing up their high powered offense. Too bad in reality, defense wins championships. Maybe until Manning restructures his contract in order to buy some good defensive players, they have no chance at winning a SB anytime soon. They can beat on Houston and Tennessee all they want.
Well said bro. You'd think after this past year, they'd have learned their lesson. Enjoy building up meaningless regular season records!This is good news for David Givens fans, bad news for Patriots fans. Dude's gonna get paid.

ESPN.com reporting that they will likley not tag Edge still.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2340118

Just one day before the Indianapolis Colts likely would have used the franchise designation to keep Reggie Wayne off the unrestricted free agent market, the team on Wednesday reached agreement with their standout wide receiver on a six-year contract extension.

Reggie Wayne

Wide Receiver

Indianapolis Colts

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC

83 1055 5 12.7 66 315

The extension, which is expected to be officially executed later this week, could be worth nearly $40 million and includes bonuses totaling $13 million-$14 million.

Team president and general manager Bill Polian had reiterated several times in recent weeks that the club would not lose Wayne in free agency. Had the parties not reached accord on the extension, the Colts almost certainly would have applied the franchise tag to Wayne, at a cost of $6.172 million.

Securing Wayne means that Indianapolis still has the franchise marker available, and could use it to keep tailback Edgerrin James, who is eligible for unrestricted free agency. It is unlikely, however, given the cap ramifications, that Indianapolis will tag James for a second year in a row. At the Pro Bowl last week, the veteran tailback indicated to ESPN.com that he is prepared to play elsewhere in 2006.

The Colts have until Thursday to decide if they want to apply the franchise designation to any of their pending unrestricted free agents.

A first-round pick in the 2001 draft, Wayne has developed into one of the NFL's top No. 2 wide receivers. Unlike many No. 2 wideouts in the past, who signed lucrative deals with new teams in free agency and then flopped, Wayne acknowledged during the season that it might be in his best interests to stay with the Colts, and one of the NFL's premier passing offenses, if amenable contract terms could be reached.

The former University of Miami star has blossomed in the high-octane Indianapolis attack and his new deal will reflect his status as one of the NFL's best young pass-catchers. It also means the Colts' potent three-wideout group of Marvin Harrison, Wayne and Brandon Stokley remains intact.

Wayne, 27, has appeared in 77 games and started 64 of them. He has 304 receptions for 4,164 yards and 28 touchdowns. Wayne posted a career-best 83 catches in 2005, but most observers feel his best season was in 2004, when he had 77 receptions for 1,210 yards and 12 touchdowns.

When all of their young players finish out their rookie contracts and the Colts don't have the money to resign them, then you will know :)

That's a ton of money to have tied up in two WRs. Both guys are big time players but in the NFL you don't win championships from the outside in. You win from the inside out. The Colts are going to remain a very good team but I don't think they're ever going to win a championship with how this team is shaping up. Having two high paid WRs is a great luxury but once you start getting into playoff caliber football it almost always comes down to the trenches. If you're spending huge money on a position like WR than chances are you're probably skimping a little elsewhere and that will probably give you some exposure.

Interesting move though. The Colts are a well run organization but they really are starting to remind me of the Dan Fouts Chargers. Like Indy they had an all world offense that was absolutely electric. Yet, they also never had the all around team to go the distance. They were legit contenders but in the end they just didn't have enough because they were too reliant on their offense and skill players.

That's a ton of money to have tied up in two WRs. Both guys are big time players...
I'm still not convinced that Wayne is a big time player. Or even a Pro Bowl-caliber player, truth be told.The only thing I am convinced of here is that the Colts overpaid. By a lot.

That's a ton of money to have tied up in two WRs.  Both guys are big time players...
I'm still not convinced that Wayne is a big time player. Or even a Pro Bowl-caliber player, truth be told.The only thing I am convinced of here is that the Colts overpaid. By a lot.
I wonder if Randel El wants to sign there now. :D Or Shaun Alexander, since they are throwing all this money around ;)

Seems like maybe this team doesn't believe the Salary Cap will come back....

Last edited:
What a horrible, horrible deal.

Lets see we have the best qb in the NFL, so you are going to spend a ton of $$$ on receivers? The probably could have saved about 32 mil signing a guy like Joe Jurevicious to a long term deal.

What makes this deal even more mind boggling is the fact that Wayne is not even a # 1 wide receiver.

That's a ton of money to have tied up in two WRs.  Both guys are big time players...
I look at it a little differenly although I do agree with you..Wayne is probably a Pro Bowl level player in the Indy offense. He knows the system well, has developed great chemistry with Manning and is a big part of what they do. Yet, if he were a #1 on another team I think he could be effective but not a big time #1 and certainly not worth that type of money. So, he probably is worth more to Indy than other teams but in the end it just doesn't make sense to have two of the top three paid WRs in a salary cap league. That's just too much money to be paying WRs.

Does anyone here actually believe the Colts are planning on paying these contracts out? They are trying to get two more years out of the offense. Super Bowls aren't the only thing owners want for their teams. They make alot of money off of having the high scoring juggernauts. Winning records during the regular season keep your fanbase thinking this could be the year. And as long as they make the playoffs every year they will have a shot at winning it all.

I'd also like to sign up for the "Wayne is overpaid" club. It just doesn't make sense to pay your #2 or #1b WR that much money.

Obviously, he won't see all $40 million, so it would be interesting to see the breakdown.

The Steelers got a bargain by paying Hines Ward only $10 Million in bonus money on what amounts to a 5-year, $28 million deal.

buy some good defensive players, they have no chance at winning a SB anytime soon.
Colts were the # ??? defense last year? Was it 1, 2 or 3? When Manning stops choking the Colts will have a chance.
Agreed, the defense hasn't been the problem in the post-season.Colts' playoffs losses

2005: Pittsburgh 21, Indianapolis 18

2004: New England 20, Indianapolis 3

2003: New England 24, Indianapolis 14

buy some good defensive players, they have no chance at winning a SB anytime soon.
Colts were the # ??? defense last year? Was it 1, 2 or 3? When Manning stops choking the Colts will have a chance.
Agreed, the defense hasn't been the problem in the post-season.Colts' playoffs losses

It's a good D but not one that can win a playoff game if the O is struggling which is what you usually need to win a title. It still needs to improve to get to that level and it remains to be seen if it can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not that the offense has been stellar, but the defense is a big part of the problem in the post-season.2005: Pittsburgh TOP: 34:54. Rushing: 42/112.

2004: New England TOP: 37:43. Rushing: 39/210.

2003: New England TOP: 32:14. Rushing: 32/112.

The Colts have a small, quick, attacking defense that does well all year when they're playing with the lead. When they run in to a big, physical O-line in the playoffs, they get pushed around.

They currently don't have a defensive tackle over 300 pounds on the roster. That's where they should be investing their money. Not on Reggie Wayne.

The Colts have a small, quick, attacking defense that does well all year when they're playing with the lead. When they run in to a big, physical O-line in the playoffs, they get pushed around.

They currently don't have a defensive tackle over 300 pounds on the roster. That's where they should be investing their money. Not on Reggie Wayne.
:goodposting: Somebody gets it.

I'd also like to sign up for the "Wayne is overpaid" club. It just doesn't make sense to pay your #2 or #1b WR that much money.

Obviously, he won't see all $40 million, so it would be interesting to see the breakdown.

The Steelers got a bargain by paying Hines Ward only $10 Million in bonus money on what amounts to a 5-year, $28 million deal.
Marvin isn't getting any younger...Wayne will be the #1WR in the offense in the next year or two. Harrison will be forced to restructure or be cut in 2-3 years after his skills greatly diminish.

Not that the offense has been stellar, but the defense is a big part of the problem in the post-season.2005: Pittsburgh TOP: 34:54. Rushing: 42/112.

2004: New England TOP: 37:43. Rushing: 39/210.

2003: New England TOP: 32:14. Rushing: 32/112.

Um...yeah...Corey Simon really weighs 293 pounds. :loco:

Users who are viewing this thread