What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Religion/Theology: Who do you read or listen to? (1 Viewer)

dgreen

Footballguy
I'm interested in hearing who you like to learn from when it comes to religion or theology. Who are you reading? What podcasts do you listen to?

Currently reading Dr Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus." He argues that Jesus is a mythical character, similar to the prominent characters in the Old Testament.

I'm currently reading NT Wright for the first time. I don't do a lot of reading, so this has been a little more challenging simply from a reading comprehension level, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I've read a few books (and listened to a ton of podcasts) this year by Rabbi David Fohrman. I really like his stuff. Easy to read and he has some brilliant insights into the Torah.

I'm currently reading NT Wright for the first time.
I read one of his books on the resurrection a few years ago. The argument itself wasn't that complicated -- his claim was that the existence of the New Testament was itself good evidence of the resurrection, which is an argument that lots of people have made. But this was a book-length treatment of that argument that went down a number of (necessary, admittedly) rabbit holes in an effort to be comprehensive, which made it kind of unwieldy. I didn't need 50 pages or whatever on how ancient Greek drama reflected/informed first-century AD views of the permanency of death.

I read one of his books on the resurrection a few years ago. The argument itself wasn't that complicated -- his claim was that the existence of the New Testament was itself good evidence of the resurrection, which is an argument that lots of people have made. But this was a book-length treatment of that argument that went down a number of (necessary, admittedly) rabbit holes in an effort to be comprehensive, which made it kind of unwieldy. I didn't need 50 pages or whatever on how ancient Greek drama reflected/informed first-century AD views of the permanency of death.
I'm reading Surprised By Hope. He talks a lot about how his arguments are more fleshed out in other writings, which I assume is what you read. I'm more interested in how he's going to approach the concept of Heaven and Kingdom and after life and the cultural context in that understanding. For example, I listened to a podcast that referenced his work in Surprised by Hope on "parousia", which we typically translate as second coming, and how that word had a very specific context in their world. I think that comes much later in the book, so I'm not there yet, but he has some interesting points early in the book about how much of today's Christian view of the after life is more Platonism than Scriptural.

I'm reading Surprised By Hope. He talks a lot about how his arguments are more fleshed out in other writings, which I assume is what you read. I'm more interested in how he's going to approach the concept of Heaven and Kingdom and after life and the cultural context in that understanding. For example, I listened to a podcast that referenced his work in Surprised by Hope on "parousia", which we typically translate as second coming, and how that word had a very specific context in their wordl. I think that comes much later in the book, so I'm not there yet, but he has some interesting points early in the book about how much of today's Christian view of the after life is more Platonism than Scriptural.
This is why we keep reinventing Gnosticism every few generations. Our culture is drenched in Platonism (I'm no exception). Judaism is a weird fit for that, but Gnosticism fits just fine.

Last edited:
I listen to my pastor. He almost always delivers a message that is relatable to things I'm going through in my life and gives me hope and perspective.

Any of Greg Boyd's books. Myth of a Christian Nation is a good place to start and Letters to a Skeptic is one of my favorite books.

I listen to my pastor. He almost always delivers a message that is relatable to things I'm going through in my life and gives me hope and perspective.
Yeah, I like what I hear from our two main preachers. One of them is one key reason my interest in the Bible started to increase several years ago. Both are good to have conversations with.

Andy Stanley's new book, Not In It To Win It is very good.

Thanks. Can you give a few thoughts on it and what you liked?
Andy has been on tear with the political aspect of American Christianity and its, in his opinion which I share, direct opposition to the gospel.

So it's a, hey - Christians, knock it off and do what Jesus told you to do not what your political party scares you into doing.

Andy has been on tear with the political aspect of American Christianity and its, in his opinion which I share, direct opposition to the gospel.

So it's a, hey - Christians, knock it off and do what Jesus told you to do not what your political party scares you into doing.

Along these lines? https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/1505202614694256640?s=20&t=ip8oxhJj2r3ayY_ZjFBeSg
Yes. Only in long book form and not nearly as many pulled punches.

Along these lines? https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/1505202614694256640?s=20&t=ip8oxhJj2r3ayY_ZjFBeSg
Yes. Only in long book form and not nearly as many pulled punches.
Thanks. I haven't read much in this genre in quite a while, so I picked this up on Amazon. Not sure exactly when I'll get to it.

Thanks. I haven't read much in this genre in quite a while, so I picked this up on Amazon. Not sure exactly when I'll get to it.

I bought it but sadly like too many other books I've bought, I haven't read yet.

He's an outstanding communicator though.

My main exposure to Andy Stanley is those who argue against his supposed lessening of the OT. However, I have seen him interviewed by one of the critics, and friends (Rabbi Matt Rosenberg, author of Jesus Never Said Anything New - good book, great title!), and it was a good conversation and he seems like a really good dude who is trying his best to lead.

Like I said earlier, I've never done much reading. Honestly, prior to this year, I could probably count on both hands the number of books I've finished in my life. However, this year, I've read 14 books (yes, I'm keeping track :oldunsure: ) and have so many on my to-read list. Some day I'll have to make room for Andy Stanley because I know a lot of people like him.

My main exposure to Andy Stanley is those who argue against his supposed lessening of the OT. However, I have seen him interviewed by one of the critics, and friends (Rabbi Matt Rosenberg, author of Jesus Never Said Anything New - good book, great title!), and it was a good conversation and he seems like a really good dude who is trying his best to lead.

Like I said earlier, I've never done much reading. Honestly, prior to this year, I could probably count on both hands the number of books I've finished in my life. However, this year, I've read 14 books (yes, I'm keeping track :oldunsure: ) and have so many on my to-read list. Some day I'll have to make room for Andy Stanley because I know a lot of people like him.
For reasons too detailed to mention I studied a lot of Andy's sermons and books over the past few years. I am well aware of the issue some have with his messages on the Old Testament. I watched those sermons and read the books. My personal opinion is that, again to me, the people that attack him on that point completely missed his point. Frankly, what he said seems rather obvious to me. But what to do I know.

Users who are viewing this thread