What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rent-a-Defense: Week 3 (1 Viewer)

If you have Houston, consider pairing them up with the Titans. You will need a filler during week 8 as they are both on bye, but a pretty nice combined schedule the rest of the year.

Week 3 - Titans at home vs Chargers

Week 4 - Titans at home vs Jets

Week 5 - Titans at home vs Chiefs

Week 6 - Houston at home vs Rams

Week 7 - Houston vs Chiefs

Week 8 - ? Both Bye

Week 9 - Titans vs Rams

Week 10 - Titans at home vs Jaguars

Week 11 - Houston at home vs Raiders

Week 12 - Houston at home vs Jaguars

Week 13 - Titans vs Colts

Week 14 - Houston vs Jaguars

Week 15 - Titans at home vs Arizona

Week 16 - Titans vs Jaguars

You get Jacksonville 4 times (twice during most league playoffs), and the majority of games will be homes games. I really like this combination. During the last 7 weeks of the season you will get Jacksonville 4 times, along with Oakland, Indianapolis, and Arizona.

Last edited by a moderator:
week 3 bills vs. jets

week 4 saints vs. dolphins

week 5 bills vs. browns

week 6 not sure yet

week 7 bills vs. dolphins

week 8 use saints vs. bills

week 9 saints vs. jets

week 10 bills vs. steelers

week 11 bills vs. jets

week 12 bills bye saints play atl

week 13 bills play atl, saints play seahawks

week 14 bills vs. tampa

week 15 bills vs. jaguars

i think after week 9, if you have this combo you could throw the saints back and find someone else for weeks 12 and 13. cause the bills have some good match ups down the stretch

this is if the bills keep playing well, but it seems like they have good match ups

so jets 4 times, browns, jags, and steelers.. and a not great o line dolphins twice.

Min pick is now looking genius with the Richardson news.

ETA: (Toot Toot)
Does Hoyer starting help or hurt? Weeden was giving away INT's like they were fun size snickers and it was Halloween
Don't over think it. He's a 2nd string QB forces to start on the road after the team lost it's best offensive weapon. Plus, it's the vikings home opener... I like this match up a lot.
Have we given up on the possibility that Cleveland will just kneel on every play?

(bitter that the Richardson trade did not automatically trigger the Minnesota pickup which I had been contemplating earlier in the day, and when I realized it around 8:00 last night, a leaguemate had already snagged them an hour before)

Picked up Minny in one league (for $1), went ahead and snagged TEN (free) for next week. Also picked up Indy (free) for week 4 vs JAX in the other league. If you can afford a roster spot, it's time to be planning 2 weeks out on the cheap. Because the bidding in one league to get Minny this week was a whopping 17 percent! Proper planning and it won't cost you anything.

Vikings or Bills most likely.

Though, I am intrigued by tomorrow night. Some real ugly football on Thursday's. I really wouldn't mind either, really, though I kind of like the Chiefs. The only thing better than ugly football for fantasy defense is a whole bunch of plays of ugly football.
Crap. Shoulda done it. Feels like a big night for both defenses.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Picked up Minny in one league (for $1), went ahead and snagged TEN (free) for next week. Also picked up Indy (free) for week 4 vs JAX in the other league. If you can afford a roster spot, it's time to be planning 2 weeks out on the cheap. Because the bidding in one league to get Minny this week was a whopping 17 percent! Proper planning and it won't cost you anything.
This is the strategy I've been employing this year. There are 4 or 5 other teams rolling defenses in every league, so I have to stay ahead of the curve in order to get the matchup I want. It costs me an extra roster spot, but it's been worth it so far.

oukurt said:
KC defense looking like a defense to have on your team. Impressed.
Also, check out their schedule through their bye. Not just the matchups, but also only two road games:

NYG

@Ten

Oak

Hou

Cle

@Buf

But after the bye, it gets much tougher:

@Den

SD

Den

@Wash

@Oak

Ind

Given the way they've been playing, I'd feel pretty comfortable playing them for the next few weeks, then dropping them and not looking back.

Dropped Cinci for Buffalo.

NYJ and Geno Smith this week. Cleveland and their 3rd string QB/No RB next week
You got the schedule wrong. Buffalo gets CLE in two weeks. Cinci has them the week before. I paired them together so I'll be facing NYJ/CLE/CLE the next three weeks. After that, I'll probably just stick with Cinci the rest of the way. They're an elite NFL defense (if not necessarily a fantasy one) and none of their matchups look particularly scary. Plus, their playoff schedule is IND/@PIT/MINN. Yum!

Dropped Cinci for Buffalo.

NYJ and Geno Smith this week. Cleveland and their 3rd string QB/No RB next week
You got the schedule wrong. Buffalo gets CLE in two weeks. Cinci has them the week before. I paired them together so I'll be facing NYJ/CLE/CLE the next three weeks. After that, I'll probably just stick with Cinci the rest of the way. They're an elite NFL defense (if not necessarily a fantasy one) and none of their matchups look particularly scary. Plus, their playoff schedule is IND/@PIT/MINN. Yum!
Ah! I'm glad you said something. Cinci has been garbage so far, and I pretty much had to cut them to make room for a good D this week. Hopefully I get them back off FA for next week

oukurt said:
KC defense looking like a defense to have on your team. Impressed.
Also, check out their schedule through their bye. Not just the matchups, but also only two road games:

NYG

@Ten

Oak

Hou

Cle

@Buf

But after the bye, it gets much tougher:

@Den

SD

Den

@Wash

@Oak

Ind

Given the way they've been playing, I'd feel pretty comfortable playing them for the next few weeks, then dropping them and not looking back.
:goodposting:

I agree with the above that they're probably out of the rent-a-D category at this point. Likely on their way to a Top 3 finish in Team Def.

Outside of the Denver games, I'd feel comfortable starting them vs. anyone.

Just wanted to say thanks to the guys in the thread that recommended the KC Def. Got me 22 pts and looks like they'll be usable a few more weeks. I love these threads each week. Thank you to everyone more informed sharing their insights.

I've got Minny for this week, benching Cincy, but I'll drop Minny for KC and combo KC with Cincy to get this schedule ROS:

Browns

Titans

Bills/Raiders

Lions/Texans

Dolphins/Bills

Ravens

Browns

Chargers

Chargers

Redskins

Raiders

Vikings

Ravens/Chargers

FRACK I should have went with KC - monster game for a DEF.

Bought into the hype and went with Minny - we'll see how it works out but sometimes you gotta trust your gut.

Ok, re-grouping on this now that I missed the Bills and Vikings.

Own TB, but also Brady and need to maximize upside after Bowe and DJax last night.

So looking at

DET (at WSH)

NO (vs. AZ)

or maybe

NYJ (vs. BUF)

Thoughts on these or any others?

Ok, re-grouping on this now that I missed the Bills and Vikings.

Own TB, but also Brady and need to maximize upside after Bowe and DJax last night.

So looking at

DET (at WSH)

NO (vs. AZ)

or maybe

NYJ (vs. BUF)

Thoughts on these or any others?
this sounds nuts, but I'd roll with Tampa. if you go position by position, other than the obvious nod to NE for the QB and coach, Tampa has the Patriots trumped at every other position. And the D-coordinator of Tampa pretty much agreed with Revis that it was stupid to not have him in man to man and not covering the best WR. If Revis was on Colston that last drive, Tampa wins that game. I think they learned from their mistake. They keep Revis on Edelman and make someone else catch those perfect Brady passes. No Gronk to worry about. The Bucs are a good defense. I think Brady will struggle if they decide to hold back Gronk another week. If Gronk starts, then by all means grab another defense. Either of the NY v Buf is high floor/low ceiling.

Any love for the Saints D vs the Cards?

I've yet to see them play but they put up double digits against the Birds and Bucs.

How much does having Roman Harper out hurt?

Any love for the Saints D vs the Cards?

I've yet to see them play but they put up double digits against the Birds and Bucs.

How much does having Roman Harper out hurt?
Starting them in my 16-teamer. Not my first choice, but I went with them over the NYJ. I like what Rob Ryan has been doing with that unit (odd, since I think he's totally overrated as a DC) and I figure Palmer is always a decent bet to throw a pick-six. Not sure about the effect of Harper's absence, but it sounds like he already has a reduced role under Ryan:

Saints S Roman Harper (knee) has been ruled out for Week 3 versus Arizona.

Kenny Vaccaro and Malcolm Jenkins will handle all of the safety duties against the Cardinals. Harper has been demoted to a sub-package blitzer only this year under new DC Rob Ryan. He has nine tackles and a pick in two games.
If at all possible, I'm dropping NO as soon as the game is over and trying to grab KC on waivers.

Picked up Tenn, sat KC at Phi......SD 2nd week in a row on the road, Tenn home opener....maybe they roll. Hoping we see Rivers of the last couple of years.

Behind on this thread this week, seeing a lot of love for Buffalo, but I'm on the flip, I love the Jets at home. Mostly because I think that is a good defense that could be holdable. Though love the idea of getting two weeks ahead of whoever is playing Jax or Browns. :)

And one half, three picks, a fumble recovery, and two (edit: three!) sacks later, Minnesota looks just fine again.

Users who are viewing this thread