What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rent-a-Defense: Week 5 (1 Viewer)

BearsFan4Life

Footballguy
Going with CLE vs Buffalo on Thurs. night

Other D's possibly on waiver wire with good matchups:

Atl vs. NYJ (Monday) - 2nd choice

StL vs. Jax

Car @ AZ

AZ vs. Car

St. Louis is my top choice, but with Blackmon back there is a VERY slight chance that Jacksonville will put up more of a fight.

Seattle had an average game because they had the jvs in the whole 2nd half..

Browns seem to be very good on d overall

TEN came through big yesterday... STL is on waivers that may be my move this week. my backup pick will probably be carolina coming off their bye

I'll be grabbing Carolina for the next 4 week run. I would have grabbed them last week but the folks in my leagues just pick 1 defense and roll with that all year. Sometimes they come out ahead but so far I have been able to exploit Jax twice and Indy this past week was about the #1 defense overall in several of my leagues.

I do think we should all be thinking about weeks 14, 15, 16...anyone got a read on those weeks and what defenses might be worth keeping? Miami gets Oakland in week 15, that seemed like a solid match up.

Grabbed KC last week and they proved they are not a WW defense. Going to ride them till the Denver games. Probably keep them for the playoffs too.

A look-ahead: you can probably stream against Jacksonville for 5-6 more weeks this year. Rams this week, Chargers week 7, Tennessee weeks 10 and 16...keep your eyes open as those weeks come up.

The way Jacksonville has rewarded teams so far, I'll probably be looking at the Rams even though Carolina is a potential 4-week play. I'll just hope Carolina is out there for week 6; that's probably going to be the hardest week so far for rent a d.

Seeing as I snagged KC in my competitive leagues, doesn't look like I'll need this thread for a few weeks.

However anybody playing JAX is always a good play. Also CLE vs. Buffalo on Thursday should be good too.

Seeing as I snagged KC in my competitive leagues, doesn't look like I'll need this thread for a few weeks.

However anybody playing JAX is always a good play. Also CLE vs. Buffalo on Thursday should be good too.
I think that should have been mentioned by the OP

ATL vs NYJ, have them in one league (off last week's waivers), sitting on waivers in another and I'm hoping to get them.

STL vs JAX, at home coming off an embarrasing loss with 10 days rest. Only was able to get them in one league.

Thanks INDY, you can go back to the wire now!

Titans did me well this week -- @ home vs KC this week.

Tempting as I'm buying the Titans D, but I'm gonna grab Cleveland. Rookie QB on the road, short rest, top 2 RBs banged up, Thursday nights fantasy black hole and Cleveland feeling like they are actually a contender in their division -- just seems like the perfect storm for CLE to have a nice performance.

If you can wait a few weeks, Tennessee looks like a great stash. They still get the Jags two more times including that all important week 16.

Buffalo Cleveland on a Thursday has the feel it could be 10-6. I think either of those are a solid play, leaning Cle with the HFA

Buffalo Cleveland on a Thursday has the feel it could be 10-6. I think either of those are a solid play, leaning Cle with the HFA
Yup I agree. I don't think you could go wrong starting either of these defenses. I'd lean Cleveland though with both Spiller and Jackson being banged up.

MattFancy said:
tjnc09 said:
Yup I agree. I don't think you could go wrong starting either of these defenses. I'd lean Cleveland though with both Spiller and Jackson being banged up.
Buffalo's D is banged up and Cleveland's passing game is hot. I would be careful there.

Raiderfan32904 said:
If you can wait a few weeks, Tennessee looks like a great stash. They still get the Jags two more times including that all important week 16.
Good call. If you can wait on them till past their bye week (8) their run in is as follows

@ Rams

Jaguars

Colts

@ Raiders

@ Colts

@ Broncos

Cardinals

@ Jaguars

That's five good match ups, with only two uncertains ( Colts ) and 1 avoid ( Broncos )

Ministry of Pain said:
I'll be grabbing Carolina for the next 4 week run. I would have grabbed them last week but the folks in my leagues just pick 1 defense and roll with that all year. Sometimes they come out ahead but so far I have been able to exploit Jax twice and Indy this past week was about the #1 defense overall in several of my leagues.

I do think we should all be thinking about weeks 14, 15, 16...anyone got a read on those weeks and what defenses might be worth keeping? Miami gets Oakland in week 15, that seemed like a solid match up.
FF Playoffs:

NO - 14 vs CAR, 15 @STL, 16 @ CAR

NYJ - 14 vs OAK, 15 @ CAR, 16 vs CLE

Week 14, 15, & 16 schedules for all teams: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhTTHtsk8pZ5dElkNXFjTkFwQ2Ruc2xMNFB4MXRuQ0E&output=html

Squintz82 said:
Picked up Carolina last week for their next 4 games. Arizona, Minnesota, Stl, & TB
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking at.

Next best bet would be the Bills. One week wonders would be STL or ATL, but neither feel that great.

If you are looking playoff bound and can manoeuvre yourself into possessing the Titans and Bills down the stretch ( entirely feasible that they are both on WW ) you'd end up with TB, JAX and JAX in weeks 14-16.

I currently own the Ravens and Bills but tbh I'm thinking of stashing the Bills from this point on and either

A) keeping Ravens until week 8 where I pick up Titans

Or

B) dropping Ravens for Panthers for 3-4 weeks and then picking up the Titans.

49ers were dropped in my league. Based on play this year, probably deservedly.

Are they in the mix now as a rent a defense, or should they still be viewed as a top 5 defense?

Are they in the mix now as a rent a defense, or should they still be viewed as a top 5 defense?
Same happened in one of my leagues. Seems like they should be owned, right?

Also, I think my weekly D pick will be the Panthers. 1) good matchup this week 2) could use them for the next few weeks.

I've got them and haven't started them yet. Giving them until their bye (week 9) before I cut bait. Nice matchup week 8 vs JAX but after that, there isn't anything that good. Maybe week 13 vs STL. Nothing good weeks 14-16 except maybe @ TB.

Wow. Talk about an overreaction. Have you seen their schedule? Pick them up right now.

For this week, I am starting St. Louis. I picked them up two weeks ago in preparation for this matchup (and while SF plays Houston). Of course, at the time I didn't realize that Houston would be handing out defensive points like candy at Halloween. Now I'm a little torn on who to start this week, but am pretty sure I'll stick with St. Louis instead of SF.

Yeah I'm trying to decide between Carolina & Cleveland myself for this week. Nice thing about Carolina is I can hold them for a good run of games. I just have a feeling about Cleveland this week though.

Yeah I'm trying to decide between Carolina & Cleveland myself for this week. Nice thing about Carolina is I can hold them for a good run of games. I just have a feeling about Cleveland this week though.
That's why I went Carolina. In my FAAB league, figured instead of spending money on a new D for the new few weeks, I can scoop up Carolina and save some money.

Waiting on Carolina, hoping it goes through tomorrow. The run of games decided it for me

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to use a waiver pick on a D, so I'll take whatever is left after it all converts to free agencies. Nobody in my league ever messes with D's though - I think I'm the only one doing rent-a-defense. St. Louis, Carolina, Cleveland and Atlanta are all still available, I'm positive I'll get one of those. Atlanta, most likely.

Titans did me well this week -- @ home vs KC this week.

Tempting as I'm buying the Titans D, but I'm gonna grab Cleveland. Rookie QB on the road, short rest, top 2 RBs banged up, Thursday nights fantasy black hole and Cleveland feeling like they are actually a contender in their division -- just seems like the perfect storm for CLE to have a nice performance.
I'm in the same boat. Tennessee short term is looking pretty good plus as another poster said Jax x2. But Browns look tempting. I'm in a deep 14-team league where not a ton of viable skill talent on the roster so I sometimes carry 2 Ds, might make that move with Brownies.

I'm not going to use a waiver pick on a D, so I'll take whatever is left after it all converts to free agencies. Nobody in my league ever messes with D's though - I think I'm the only one doing rent-a-defense. St. Louis, Carolina, Cleveland and Atlanta are all still available, I'm positive I'll get one of those. Atlanta, most likely.
Cool dude. Keep us updated.

I've been riding NO this entire season and they haven't disappointed. I'm afraid to drop them but ATL looks enticing with NYJ and TB at home the next two weeks.

Can they actually make plays though?

Eh, DMC's post is pretty much in line with the spirit of this thread. People talking about what Ds are on their wire which usually stimulates conversation and discussion about pros & cons of one D over another.

For instance, I don't know how anyone in their right mind could watch the first four weeks of the season and like Atlanta D under any circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
ATL vs NYJ on MNF

or

STL vs JAX?

No Stephen Hill nor Santonio Holmes. Falcons are pissed off from their slow start and loss to the Pats...probably looking to blow the Jets out by 40. Forcing Geno Smith to throw to ______ ? with their top 2 receivers out

Love the Cleveland vs Buffalo.

As others have said: Young QB on the road, short turn around time, RB's banged up. Haden just took AJ Green out of the game. Gotta like the Browns D to keep points off the board. If Hoyer can keep moving the ball like he has--and he should with Buff's shaky secondary--The Bills will be passing a lot late which could set up the pick 6.

If nothing else, it makes Thursday Night Football more interesting

Eh, DMC's post is pretty much in line with the spirit of this thread. People talking about what Ds are on their wire which usually stimulates conversation and discussion about pros & cons of one D over another.

For instance, I don't know how anyone in their right mind could watch the first four weeks of the season and like Atlanta D under any circumstances.
Thanks for that. You're right, my comment was just meant to spur or further a discussion. I'm certainly not the first or only person in this thread to do so in exactly that way.

I'm leaning Atlanta for a couple of reasons. First, because Geno Smith is still a rookie QB and he's going to be missing Holmes and/or Hill. Second, it's pretty much do-or-die time for Atlanta, and that often brings out the best (or something close to it) in teams. They may not be the safest play, but stranger things have happened. :D

I'm not married to the idea, though. I may change my mind between now and when the FA's open up.

St. Louis is my top choice, but with Blackmon back there is a VERY slight chance that Jacksonville will put up more of a fight.
I agree with this. Im gonna pick up and roll w/ Tennessee vs KC. Not that smith is going to be a turnover machine again like he was against the giants but with KC I think we know what we have...an offense that isnt built to socre a ton of points...just score enough to let the defense win the game.

Blackmon is a wild card for jax, sort of like gordon was for cleveland when people started minny d vs cleveland in week 3 thinking it was money in the bank.

Gabbert blows, we know this...but blackmon is a stud and a weapon for him. BW him and shorts i wouldn't be surprised to see jax break out of their funk against a defense that is scaring absolutely NO ONE so far this year.

On the surface this looks like a "get right" game for STL...but look a little deeper and it might just be a "get right" game for JAX.

I agree with this. Im gonna pick up and roll w/ Tennessee vs KC. Not that smith is going to be a turnover machine again like he was against the giants but with KC I think we know what we have...an offense that isnt built to socre a ton of points...just score enough to let the defense win the game.

Blackmon is a wild card for jax, sort of like gordon was for cleveland when people started minny d vs cleveland in week 3 thinking it was money in the bank.

Gabbert blows, we know this...but blackmon is a stud and a weapon for him. BW him and shorts i wouldn't be surprised to see jax break out of their funk against a defense that is scaring absolutely NO ONE so far this year.

On the surface this looks like a "get right" game for STL...but look a little deeper and it might just be a "get right" game for JAX.
Yeah my whole theory with renting Ds is a subpar D does not trump a subpar O. Rams are on my Do Not Fly list.

I've been riding NO this entire season and they haven't disappointed. I'm afraid to drop them but ATL looks enticing with NYJ and TB at home the next two weeks.

Can they actually make plays though?
Just a note... those two games have a bye week between them

I love the 4-0 start for my Chiefs, but have to be a little concerned that their opponents combined records are 3-13. @ Tennessee could pop the bubble.

I'm rolling with Carolina for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread