What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reranking the qbs (1 Viewer)

-- I want to see another game, but it may be time to upgrade Rivers some. Forget the somewhat flukey TDs, only two sacks and one turnover against the Texans was a surprise (6.3 NY/A). Especially when you look at the players he was throwing to.

What to make of Rivers. Four TDs is four TDs and the Texans are a quality D.

Lots of short stuff though. It seemed to be working until they shut it down. Terrible pick just like old times too.
He is what SD and McCoy said he'd be.

They said going in they had every intention of completely re-writing the playbook, to feature tons of dink and dunk, quick-dropback stuff that minimized Rivers's risk by getting the ball out of his hands faster than previous years, while working to the strength of their personnel: lots of targets, without any real standouts, and not a lot of faith in the line to give him time.

It looked pretty much exactly like that, and worked out better than most (including me) probably expected. I think it's a recipe that's sure to keep Rivers startable in most formats for the balance of the year. But it's also hard to see a ton of upside in it. Kind of a pass-happy game manager. The upside comes if they continue to rely on that same gameplan in the redzone. Early returns are good, but we'll see. I wouldn't make any moves to acquire him, but I'd be reasonably happy if I had him already.

I think they called 32 pass plays in 51 snaps - 29 pass attempts, 1 scramble, 2 sacks.

One problem is that their number of plays was low. They had 7 drives of 3 plays or fewer - 1 TD, 1 interception, and 5 three and outs. Meanwhile, Houston ran 75 plays. Huge disparity there. On the one hand, that is a risk with this offense. But I would still expect most games to include more plays.

I don't know about rankings, but Eli is always undervalued. It just never ends. It's quite possible his owner in your league undervalues him, especially if he has a top QB ahead of Eli. I'd try to acquire him.
No, he's correctly valued. If you take the time to list out the top 12 QBs, I guarantee you can't make a legitimate case to have him in the top 10. Just try.
He's second to only his brother after week one. Which puts him in the current top 10. That's a pretty legitimate case to have him in the top 10 :shrug:

See my post above-i think he'll finish in the top 5 under Peyton, Brees, Rodgers and Ryan but above Brady, Kaep, Romo, Cam, Stafford...

He's got a lot of weapons to throw to and they are all very good and are all healthy. The RB situation is murky, but not non-existent. The defense is meh, meaning a lot of shoot-outs.

He is perennially in the top 10, but has only finished as high as 6 once. I think that he'll do more of the same and its a function of some drop in overall production by Brady/RGIII/Cam that will push him up a few spots.

this eli business starts the same EVERY year. He starts out hot. Everyone runs around yelling how criminally undervalued he is then he completely falls off the face of the Earth and is rendered unstartable.

The "Vick won't last" stuff is just noise to me. if you're smart at all, you drafted a quality back-up after you drafted Vick. Someone like Bradford or Eli.

Man of Zen said:
Bills_Fan11 said:
Cam has been top 5 over two separate 16game samples with the same lousy players around him; now he's not top 10 after 1 game?
Correct. The players around him are lousier, the NFL has shifted to a ruleset that directly neutralizes his only real skill, and lots of players have seen improved play and circumstances.

He's not a bad player. But shifts into and out of the top ten happen all the time. Getting ahead of them is all that makes you a contender. :shrug:
I'm starting to think nothing you say is right.

Man of Zen said:
Bills_Fan11 said:
Cam has been top 5 over two separate 16game samples with the same lousy players around him; now he's not top 10 after 1 game?
Correct. The players around him are lousier, the NFL has shifted to a ruleset that directly neutralizes his only real skill, and lots of players have seen improved play and circumstances.

He's not a bad player. But shifts into and out of the top ten happen all the time. Getting ahead of them is all that makes you a contender. :shrug:
Can't say that I really care, coming from someone I haven't seen a single piece of intelligent analysis from on here in two months of looking. :shrug:

To the people who downgrade Vick because he will likely be injured:

1. How many games do you think he plays?

2. What is his ranking based on PPG numbers?

3. What is the combination of the above 2 factors that would make you rank him in the top 5?

Man of Zen said:
Bills_Fan11 said:

Can't say that I really care, coming from someone I haven't seen a single piece of intelligent analysis from on here in two months of looking. :shrug:
I'm not the one purporting to write intelligent analysis and then not backing it up with anything other than pure conjecture. How are his weapons worse this year? Are you implying his only real skill is running? This, only two years removed from him breaking the single season passing record for rookie QBs and throwing for 8000+ yards in his first two seasons at QB. This guy who, dispite his below average weapons, was a dominant QB force in the second half of last season.

Also, did you watch the Carolina game? Smith looked just like he always does. That Seattle D may be the best in the league and they are going to make a lot of QBs have below average outings

Saying that you are ahead of the curve with no objective evidence to back it up has no purchase in the community of ideas or meaningful opinion.

You are talking ####, zen man. Just like that non-sense you posted in the SF-SEA game thread.

The "Vick won't last" stuff is just noise to me. if you're smart at all, you drafted a quality back-up after you drafted Vick. Someone like Bradford or Eli.
No doubt. How the eff does someone project injuries? Should we project ADP since he carries a lot and has been hurt before?

My backup is Schaub who out scored Vick last night.

I would be shocked if the niners stayed with some conservative, heavy-set, ground and pound offense. The best coaches tailor their offense to the strengths of their players. The heavy ground game was necessitated by Smith's unwillingness to challenge the secondary. It's a different ball game in SF now.

this eli business starts the same EVERY year. He starts out hot. Everyone runs around yelling how criminally undervalued he is then he completely falls off the face of the Earth and is rendered unstartable.
He was absolutely horrible last year.

how does brady have a lack of weapons? he has made it work with far worse... Edelman looks solid, Amendola (when healthy), ridley will come back with a fire under his ### next week, what's not to like? Gronk will be back at some time as well...

how does brady have a lack of weapons? he has made it work with far worse... Edelman looks solid, Amendola (when healthy), ridley will come back with a fire under his ### next week, what's not to like? Gronk will be back at some time as well...
He just lost Vereen for the next 10 weeks. Amendola's likely to miss at least a week. Sudfeld is a dud, and Thompkins caught something like 4 of 14 targets?

The Bills defense was missing some key players, yet even with Amendola and Vereen, the offense was mediocre at best. 2 TDs coming on drives of 16 and 32 yards. 3 FGs coming on drives of 20, 70, 49 yards.

Brady is one of the best to ever play the game, so I've still got him in my top 10. But comparing his weapons to what some of the other very good QBs have to work with is laughable.

It looked like Matt Ryan was dealing with some pain yesterday after taking a shot to the ribs. Perhaps nothing, but something to monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread