What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rest Of Season Rankings For IDP (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hi Folks,

Wanted to make sure everyone knew about this. A poster asked me today why our IDP Rest Of Season rankings weren't updated. I didn't understand because they are updated every week just like the offensive Rest of Season. They're hugely important.

But it turned out, we had an error on our weekly page that wasn't showing the right update.

Here is the correct link. https://www.footballguys.com/rankin...96&dproj=996&viewpos=flexidp&week=6&profile=i

Apologies for the confusion. And always, please ask me in a PM here or shoot an email to help@footballguys.com if you see something that doesn't look right to you.

If you could pick one IDP player for 2023, who would that be? Basic scoring. Leonard, Smith, Lloyd, James?
James? Derwin James? If this is for a keeper I wouldn't keep a DB. They are typically a dime a dozen.

If this is a one IDP starter league then I wouldn't worry about it either because they are like kickers.

In order to rank them we need more information regarding the scoring system. If it's tackle heavy it seems like it would be Roquan or Lloyd from those choices. I probably lean Roquan since he has more of a track record.

If you could pick one IDP player for 2023, who would that be? Basic scoring. Leonard, Smith, Lloyd, James?
James? Derwin James? If this is for a keeper I wouldn't keep a DB. They are typically a dime a dozen.

If this is a one IDP starter league then I wouldn't worry about it either because they are like kickers.

In order to rank them we need more information regarding the scoring system. If it's tackle heavy it seems like it would be Roquan or Lloyd from those choices. I probably lean Roquan since he has more of a track record.
No more information is needed, who is the #1 guy in IDP for 2023. I agree DBs arent usually the #1 overall IDP. I was just listing names. So in your opinion, who is the #1 LB for 2023.

No more information is needed, who is the #1 guy in IDP for 2023. I agree DBs arent usually the #1 overall IDP. I was just listing names. So in your opinion, who is the #1 LB for 2023.
Scoring system matters tremendously. In my scoring system the likely #1 scoring LB will be TJ Watt if he comes back healthy.

I'm not looking for specifics, its a general question, its for 2023, not today , tomorrow or next month. its pretty basic scoring.
2/tackle
1/assist
4/sack
5/INT
10/TD

My team was so injury riddled I am dead last, with a good roster, but want to dump some good players to get 2-3-4 REALLY good players for next year in a keeper league.
Fewer players I keep, the higher picks I get(max is 8). I got Taylor, Leonard, Pitts, Dak, Higgins and Deebo. I'd like to turn that into Taylor, Jefferson and one elite IDP player and one elite QB. IDK if Leonard is the guy anymore, can it be Lloyd? Thats all I am trying to get ideas on. Or Roquan?

My team was so injury riddled I am dead last, with a good roster, but want to dump some good players to get 2-3-4 REALLY good players for next year in a keeper league.
Fewer players I keep, the higher picks I get(max is 8). I got Taylor, Leonard, Pitts, Dak, Higgins and Deebo. I'd like to turn that into Taylor, Jefferson and one elite IDP player and one elite QB. IDK if Leonard is the guy anymore, can it be Lloyd? Thats all I am trying to get ideas on. Or Roquan?
That is helpful. Since it is basically a balanced to tackle heavy scoring (2 to 1 Sack to Tackle) the guys you are looking at are where you should be going. I would probably just hold Leonard and hope that he gets healthy for next year. You don't have to spend assets and a healthy Leonard should be in the conversation to top LB.

The Rest of Seasons rankings this week seem off to me. An injured Josey Jewell and Zach Cunningham are in or near the top 10 for LBs. Dennis Gardeck is ranked higher than Micah Parsons. Huh?

Can anyone with a subscription confirm that they are seeing the same thing?

Sure Jewell can be top 10 rest of the way, guess no issue there but Dennis Gardeck (#28) 14 spots higher than Micah Parsons?

The Rest of Seasons rankings this week seem off to me. An injured Josey Jewell and Zach Cunningham are in or near the top 10 for LBs. Dennis Gardeck is ranked higher than Micah Parsons. Huh?

Can anyone with a subscription confirm that they are seeing the same thing?

Yes, I haven't trusted the IDP Rest of Season rankings all year. Brandon Graham has been sitting on the top of all IDP positions all season long. He's not even worth rostering in the deepest of leagues. The links on the site (in top menu and weekly Everything Season Long... sections) do not link to the one Joe listed in the first message. And even that one is off.

Examples of how bad they are (Standard IDP and my own league settings). DL - Brandon Graham has been #1 all season. Maxx Crosby ranks #10 and #5 (standard IDP and own league settings). Demarcus Lawrence ranks #23 and #14. These two have arguably been the #1 and #2 DLs (assuming Parsons is listed as LB). LB - Dennis Gardeck is currently ranked #1. Roquan Smith is #5 and #3. DB - Carlton Davis is #1, Rashad Fenton is #2. Sure they've been injured, but they won't finish in the top 10 from here on out.

Basically, don't look at the IDP Rest of Season rankings. In year's past this was an ok resource, but this year it's practically worthless. However, do follow the IDP Features articles in the weekly Everything Season Long... sections. There's some great information there.

Yes, I haven't trusted the IDP Rest of Season rankings all year. Brandon Graham has been sitting on the top of all IDP positions all season long. He's not even worth rostering in the deepest of leagues. The links on the site (in top menu and weekly Everything Season Long... sections) do not link to the one Joe listed in the first message. And even that one is off.

Examples of how bad they are (Standard IDP and my own league settings). DL - Brandon Graham has been #1 all season. Maxx Crosby ranks #10 and #5 (standard IDP and own league settings). Demarcus Lawrence ranks #23 and #14. These two have arguably been the #1 and #2 DLs (assuming Parsons is listed as LB). LB - Dennis Gardeck is currently ranked #1. Roquan Smith is #5 and #3. DB - Carlton Davis is #1, Rashad Fenton is #2. Sure they've been injured, but they won't finish in the top 10 from here on out.

Basically, don't look at the IDP Rest of Season rankings. In year's past this was an ok resource, but this year it's practically worthless. However, do follow the IDP Features articles in the weekly Everything Season Long... sections. There's some great information there.
I have never really used the ROS rankings as I am not really sure what you use them for (trades i guess?). I have found that the majority of rankings anywhere can really only be used as a list of players and not really used for anything of value (regardless of website). Scoring is such a huge factor and if you have a league with unique scoring (I do) those kind of lists are usually pretty useless.

The weekly articles with actual analysis associated with the names is much more valuable and really are good.

Hello all, Thanks for the constructive and deserved criticism. I hope you have noticed our renewed emphasis on IDP content. We have added several excellent contributors this year, including Matt Montgomery, who inherited the forward projections. Ryan did an excellent job for many years but is no longer with Footballguys. Matt is one of our new contributors and is very knowledgeable. I realize some of the ROS projections might suggest otherwise at times. Matt has never taken on a project like this before, so he's kind of like a first-round rookie corner. You put him in the position because you know he's going to be great, but you have to deal with some rookie mistakes the first season.

I can assure you, we are working through those by refining his approach and process to eliminate these mistakes. Please be patient and by all means, let us know when you see something that is an obvious mistake. It is people like the ones in this thread that make us better and drive what we do. Thank you for your patience.

Hello all, Thanks for the constructive and deserved criticism. I hope you have noticed our renewed emphasis on IDP content. We have added several excellent contributors this year, including Matt Montgomery, who inherited the forward projections. Ryan did an excellent job for many years but is no longer with Footballguys. Matt is one of our new contributors and is very knowledgeable. I realize some of the ROS projections might suggest otherwise at times. Matt has never taken on a project like this before, so he's kind of like a first-round rookie corner. You put him in the position because you know he's going to be great, but you have to deal with some rookie mistakes the first season.

I can assure you, we are working through those by refining his approach and process to eliminate these mistakes. Please be patient and by all means, let us know when you see something that is an obvious mistake. It is people like the ones in this thread that make us better and drive what we do. Thank you for your patience.
John, thanks for taking the time to respond and explain. I did not think there was any way possible these were your rankings.

And sorry to pile on, but the ROS rankings are the worst they have been all year this week. Missing players (Myles Garrett, the likely consensus #1 DL)... multiple players in the DL top 10 who are likely not in the top 20-30. Maybe not in the top 50. DL appears to have the most egregious errors. I can't imagine anyone actually ranked the players in the order they are in. They appear as if they have been sorted randomly (not in rank order).

Again, this doesn't appear to be a simple difference of opinion thing... the rankings are so far off they don't appear to be in rank order at all, but a random order instead. Unfortunately the reality is the ROS rankings are so far out of whack that they are useless. No offense, but it would be better to temporarily suspend them if they are as inaccurate as what is on the site right now.

As others have mentioned (and this has been repeated numerous times this year)... we all recognize the improvement in the IDP coverage this year. It is night and day better than the last couple years. It is much closer to how it used to be prior to DFS. The additional writers and your Notepad article have been brought up numerous times as a huge addition for guys in leagues who have quick waiver wire turnaround. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the ROS rankings. Not the end of the world, but better to admit that it is not up to par and ignore it this year than pretend it is useful.

Last edited:

John, thanks for taking the time to respond and explain. I did not think there was any way possible these were your rankings.

And sorry to pile on, but the ROS rankings are the worst they have been all year this week. Missing players (Myles Garrett, the likely consensus #1 DL)... multiple players in the DL top 10 who are likely not in the top 20-30. Maybe not in the top 50. DL appears to have the most egregious errors. I can't imagine anyone actually ranked the players in the order they are in. They appear as if they have been sorted randomly (not in rank order).

Again, this doesn't appear to be a simple difference of opinion thing... the rankings are so far off they don't appear to be in rank order at all, but a random order instead. Unfortunately the reality is the ROS rankings are so far out of whack that they are useless. No offense, but it would be better to temporarily suspend them if they are as inaccurate as what is on the site right now.

As others have mentioned (and this has been repeated numerous times this year)... we all recognize the improvement in the IDP coverage this year. It is night and day better than the last couple years. It is much closer to how it used to be prior to DFS. The additional writers and your Notepad article have been brought up numerous times as a huge addition for guys in leagues who have quick waiver wire turnaround. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the ROS rankings. Not the end of the world, but better to admit that it is not up to par and ignore it this year than pretend it is useful.
Thanks for the response. I understand your perspective of not having the feature up until it's fixed but using the rookie corner analogy again, it's hard to figure it out when you're not in the game and you can't coach someone up without seeing them play. We'll get it straightened out here in short order.

I don't understand your analogy John. Why do the rankings have to be posted for subscribers when they are obviously full of errors? I gotta assume they are errors since they are so bad and seem to get worse as the season has gone along. Can't you or another FBG staff member see his ROS rankings first before they are posted. If a rookie corner plays horribly, they are normally benched and coached up in practice until they are ready.

If it's as bad as people are stating regarding the order specifically.....maybe there is a programming error in consolidating the information and it is throwing it out of whack. I would assume that the process is to give ROS projections and then have those be put into a spreadsheet that calculates points based on a scoring system and then rank by total points. Maybe this process has a programming error and it is mixing up the correct order?

Just a thought. I would assume it's not just the "rookie DB" making a list of players and posting them. It seems like a processing error based on the level of errors.

TDCommish, Football coaches have a depth chart with backups they can put in. Those backups know the scheme and have been practicing it. Unfortunately, we don't have that as an option. Putting a different staffer on this project mid-season would essentially mean starting from scratch with someone that has not done it before, and would not be a good answer.

It would be great if this were as simple as you suggest but the process is more complicated than that. I could take a look at the spreadsheet every week but the players are not put into a rank order until they are entered into the database. With over 600 players projected, reviewing each week would not be a simple task, not to mention that we all have our own responsibilities and deadlines to meet. It is often the feedback we get from you all that brings things to our attention when something is amiss. When brought to our attention, we try to address the issues as quickly and effectively as possible.

Gally, you are absolutely correct. There were some players out of whack in previous weeks but nothing like it was this week. We realized late last night that this current situation was not on the projector, but a technical glitch. The reason the ranking looked completely random, is because they were. Matt is reviewing his numbers for an update this evening and our tech team is working on the coding error. We hope to have this resolved and updated before kickoff tonight.

Again, we hear you all loud and clear. We take pride in providing a quality product and are doing everything practical to get the value of this feature back to where it should be as quickly as possible.

Thank you for being part of Footballguys.

John, DeShon Elliott is projected for 0 points this week despite not having an injury designation and practicing in full on Wednesday. It would be nice to have a pinned thread where things like this could be discussed.

TDCommish, Football coaches have a depth chart with backups they can put in. Those backups know the scheme and have been practicing it. Unfortunately, we don't have that as an option. Putting a different staffer on this project mid-season would essentially mean starting from scratch with someone that has not done it before, and would not be a good answer.

It would be great if this were as simple as you suggest but the process is more complicated than that. I could take a look at the spreadsheet every week but the players are not put into a rank order until they are entered into the database. With over 600 players projected, reviewing each week would not be a simple task, not to mention that we all have our own responsibilities and deadlines to meet. It is often the feedback we get from you all that brings things to our attention when something is amiss. When brought to our attention, we try to address the issues as quickly and effectively as possible.

Gally, you are absolutely correct. There were some players out of whack in previous weeks but nothing like it was this week. We realized late last night that this current situation was not on the projector, but a technical glitch. The reason the ranking looked completely random, is because they were. Matt is reviewing his numbers for an update this evening and our tech team is working on the coding error. We hope to have this resolved and updated before kickoff tonight.

Again, we hear you all loud and clear. We take pride in providing a quality product and are doing everything practical to get the value of this feature back to where it should be as quickly as possible.

Thanks again John...

Before this week there was an occasional error with a guy or 2 missing but nothing like what I saw last night. As I said, the order looked random. Not just poor ranking choices by a staffer. Could not imagine anyone would have guys ranked as they were. Because if so... we have more than a rookie corner issue.

Thanks again for the thoughtful responses. Good to see you back on the message board.

I didn't get to update my numbers on Wednesday night this week. Caught that on my Thursday update that was posted about an hour before kickoff tonight though. Updated 33 players based on today's news and participation reports. Thanks for the heads up though.

Thanks again John...

Before this week there was an occasional error with a guy or 2 missing but nothing like what I saw last night. As I said, the order looked random. Not just poor ranking choices by a staffer. Could not imagine anyone would have guys ranked as they were. Because if so... we have more than a rookie corner issue.

Thanks again for the thoughtful responses. Good to see you back on the message board.
Thanks, my plan is to be here more often going forward

Last edited:
I hope there's an error - these are awful lately.

Jalen Pitre: 96 points so far this season, projected for 12.10 this week, DB#405 rest of season.
Efe Obada: 32 points so far, projected for 3.65, DL#21 rest of season.

This is why I've stopped paying attention to the ROS rankings (which I hate because I find ROS rankings highly valuable and useful in waiver wire decisions as well as trades). The offensive rankings are fine but the defensive rankings have been rendered virtually useless. I mean, even if the rankings had less errors at this point, would you really trust them?

Really appreciated Norton stopping by and explaining the situation. Hey, if neither he nor Davenport have time to do the ROS rankings, no problem. And if they don't have anyone else capable of doing them, that is ok to. It would be fine to just say so. Imo, it is better to punt them than put out something substandard. And these have been rendered useless. Unfortunately John's rookie corner explanation doesn't quite cover it. Whoever is doing them appears completely lost (or just has horrible attention to detail). Either way, I don't see a year of whoever is doing them so poorly prepares them to be better at them next year.

Again, the rest of the IDP coverage this year has been outstanding. Kudos to Joe, John, Gary, Aaron, etc. for the improved IDP coverage. The ROS defensive rankings are the lone exception.

Last edited:

I have never really used the ROS rankings as I am not really sure what you use them for (trades i guess?). I have found that the majority of rankings anywhere can really only be used as a list of players and not really used for anything of value (regardless of website). Scoring is such a huge factor and if you have a league with unique scoring (I do) those kind of lists are usually pretty useless.

The weekly articles with actual analysis associated with the names is much more valuable and really are good.
I use them in a couple of ways… and they’re adjusted for each league’s scoring if you use the League Dominator.

First, I use them for waivers. There are lots of good IDP waiver articles, including ARud and Bellyfuel here at FBG… but they sometimes focus on next week rather than rest of season. Looking at both weekly and ROS projections can tell me that the guy ranked 3rd this week will be more useful overall than the guy ranked 1st this week.
Also, waiver articles don’t catch surprise drops in my leagues - no waiver article will tell you to pick up Jeremy Chinn the week after he goes on IR, but ROS can still show him having value if I missed him getting dropped in a league. Similarly, players who should have been picked up 3 weeks ago but just weren’t - Grover Stewart was still around in one of my leagues after waiver articles assumed he was already rostered. ROS can show that.

Second, I use them to look for roster strength. If ROS shows me that my DLs are ranked 28, 49, and 71… I need to focus on improving there. That’s a better indicator than points scored so far, which can get skewed by big plays and players who have recently changed snap percentage.

Typically refrain from endorsing another website but given the issues with the ROS defensive rankings and in case it is helpful to any of you guys, my fallback for ROS rankings this season has been Fantasy Pros. There is no subscription necessary so hopefully Joe and the guys won't mind the suggestion given the circumstances. I don't have the same trust level in the Fantasy Pros rankings I would if Norton, Davenport or Rudnicki were doing the ROS rankings for FBG's. But understand they can't do everything.

Again, not looking to be negative with any of this. The IDP coverage at FBG's this year has been outstanding. ROS rankings (offense and defense) are a staple for my in season decision making. Unfortunately I had no choice but to find a useful alternative on the defensive side.

Last edited:
Efe Obada is ranked DL15 rest of season. He has 4 points so far this season.
Christian Barmore is DL22 ROS. He's out at least the next 4 weeks, which is the fantasy season.

Typically refrain from endorsing another website but given the issues with the ROS defensive rankings and in case it is helpful to any of you guys, my fallback for ROS rankings this season has been Fantasy Pros. There is no subscription necessary so hopefully Joe and the guys won't mind the suggestion given the circumstances. I don't have the same trust level in the Fantasy Pros rankings I would if Norton, Davenport or Rudnicki were doing the ROS rankings for FBG's. But understand they can't do everything.

Again, not looking to be negative with any of this. The IDP coverage at FBG's this year has been outstanding. ROS rankings (offense and defense) are a staple for my in season decision making. Unfortunately I had no choice but to find a useful alternative on the defensive side.
Lol that’s Sitzmann’s rankings primarily - who used to do FBG’s ROS rankings.

Lol that’s Sitzmann’s rankings primarily - who used to do FBG’s ROS rankings.
Thanks Tick. Didn't know that. I liked Sitzmann's rankings when he was at FBG's. I always gravitated to his. I often reduced the rankings to just Norton's and Sitzmann's.

Users who are viewing this thread