What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ricky's hearing discussion (1 Viewer)

You're making my point for me.
Was the following statement made by Lhucks...You see the usual racist innuendo such as "lazy, drug additct" etc.?Please point to posts in this thread that back up that statement.
I never said they were in this thread...I said statements on this board, clearly indicating other threads.A) I don't own Ricky, I only participate in one dynasty league

B) I don't use drugs

I'm just pointing out the obvious here about Ricky and the racial stereotypes.
You know I respect most of what you have to say around here. I just think it was lame for you to make that comment in this thread, especially when there weren't any racial references in this thread. You really should have addressed those comments in the threads where they were made.

You're making my point for me.
Was the following statement made by Lhucks...You see the usual racist innuendo such as "lazy, drug additct" etc.?Please point to posts in this thread that back up that statement.
I never said they were in this thread...I said statements on this board, clearly indicating other threads.A) I don't own Ricky, I only participate in one dynasty league

B) I don't use drugs

I'm just pointing out the obvious here about Ricky and the racial stereotypes.
You know I respect most of what you have to say around here. I just think it was lame for you to make that comment in this thread, especially when there weren't any racial references in this thread. You really should have addressed those comments in the threads where they were made.
It's a touchy issue since most racism is unspoken. I don't know if it's racism that makes people dislike Ricky, I think a lot of people dislike him because he quit on his team, or because he was so hyped that Ditka gave up his draft and a first for him. I think a lot of people are down on him because he's strange, and a lot of people are down on him because he does drugs. Those are all valid reasons not to be a fan of Ricky. On the other hand, as unique as he is, his appearance and behavior have reinforced a lot of negative racial stereotypes. And there's a sizable contingent out there that feed off those stereotypes, and use them to justify their opinions.

I don't like it when people "play the racism card" - it even has its own catchy term that allows people to ignore it - because the bigger issues fall victim to the boy crying wolf. But I do think people should be introspective about their own feelings once in a while, and if LHUCKS' post was a good reality check for some people, then :thumbup: .

It's a touchy issue since most racism is unspoken. I don't know if it's racism that makes people dislike Ricky, I think a lot of people dislike him because he quit on his team, or because he was so hyped that Ditka gave up his draft and a first for him. I think a lot of people are down on him because he's strange, and a lot of people are down on him because he does drugs. Those are all valid reasons not to be a fan of Ricky.

On the other hand, as unique as he is, his appearance and behavior have reinforced a lot of negative racial stereotypes. And there's a sizable contingent out there that feed off those stereotypes, and use them to justify their opinions.

I don't like it when people "play the racism card" - it even has its own catchy term that allows people to ignore it - because the bigger issues fall victim to the boy crying wolf. But I do think people should be introspective about their own feelings once in a while, and if LHUCKS' post was a good reality check for some people, then :thumbup: .
:goodposting:

It's a touchy issue since most racism is unspoken.  I don't know if it's racism that makes people dislike Ricky, I think a lot of people dislike him because he quit on his team, or because he was so hyped that Ditka gave up his draft and a first for him.  I think a lot of people are down on him because he's strange, and a lot of people are down on him because he does drugs.  Those are all valid reasons not to be a fan of Ricky. 

On the other hand, as unique as he is, his appearance and behavior have reinforced a lot of negative racial stereotypes.  And there's a sizable contingent out there that feed off those stereotypes, and use them to justify their opinions. 

I don't like it when people "play the racism card" - it even has its own catchy term that allows people to ignore it - because the bigger issues fall victim to the boy crying wolf.  But I do think people should be introspective about their own feelings once in a while, and if LHUCKS' post was a good reality check for some people, then  :thumbup: .
:goodposting:
I agree very well "said"

Please explain how sarcasm from other threads has anything to do with Lhuck's racism accusation about posts in this thread!
You have a problem with someone expressing his point of view about a racial issue in the Shark Pool. You do not have a problem with someone expressing your point of view about a racial issue in the Shark Pool. His view you called "standard liberal attacks" and you wanted them moved. Your view you call "sarcasm" and you want it to stay.

Double standard, quite visible to many of us.
Incorrect. My issue is with someone accusing others of racism, not discussing race.
Well, I think race has been an obvious catalyst for comments made by people on this messageboard that really don't know anything about Ricky Williams. You see the usual racist innuendo such as "lazy, drug additct" etc. Now if you can't see the difference between a comment about recycled black coaches after previous threads about recycled white coaches and a statement that race has been a catalyst for comments made about Ricky by people on this board, then there's no point in discussing this further.

Note: I'm still looking for those comments in this thread, although I will have to admit that after re-reading Lhucks statement, he doesn't specifically state this thread...which is what I assumed he was referring to.
BassnBrew, I agree with the others here. You are drawing your own line where you want it to be, but are not comfortable where someone else is drawing theirs. Not reasonable IMO. Whether you are accusing someone of being racist or discussing race, the line can be blurred very easily. For example, when someone uses sarcasm to prove their point, it can still be hurtful and bring about emotion.

Anyone who thinks that someone smoking weed is a big deal needs their head examined. Gimme a break. Our destain for other people's actions should be limited to their "other-regarding" conduct. Otherwise, mind your own business.The fact that the league tests for weed is ridiculous IMO. It is clearly not a performance enhancing drug, so who cares? The argument that it "is illegal" is bogus, so don't bring that; cheating your taxes is illegal, so the league should have a three strike policy on that too I guess.Ricky Williams is one of the good guys.
I agree somewhat with the last part of the post that it makes no sense to make a non-performance-enhancing drug a violation of league policy, when it makes no difference on his maximum level of performance, but I guess it could be in there because it would be detrimental for the league to have a bunch of guys that are high, or clearly under the influence of something, to be telecast as an example of all of the other players. Should the NFLPA allow the NFL to drug test players "at will" and also allow them to turn this evidence over to the proper legal authorities should they find something that breaks laws, then I can see them removing this as a finable/suspendable infraction of league rules.Basically, the NFL and all other sports that test for marijuana have found a way to better maintain the image of their highly valued organizations. Even McDonalds drug tests their employees.AND IF you think that marijuana is not a problem....you should realize that users of hard core drugs like ice are near 100% marijuana users. Don't get confused about my last statement....I'm not saying that 100% of marijuana users are ice users, but if you don't get that, you should have stayed in school or paid better attention in class. To put this in simpler terms, the more marijuana users you eliminate, the more ice users you eliminate. Another fact is that many thefts are drug related. Again, you solve one problem by attacking a drug issue. And don't bother telling me that drugs are fun or enhance anything. I have NEVER used marijuana, and you can't tell me that I don't have fun, and I highly doubt that you can show that you have any more fun that I have had in my life (though some people are pretty impressive). If your life needs to be enhanced that much, then you probably are just too far down that path of addiction, and you are in denial about how much you need it. I'm not saying you need it all the time, but if you NEED IT at any time, then you are addicted.Yes, you are in denial. The first step is to admit it.

"weed" isnt about being performance enhancing. They want it banned because of how much NFL players are role models to the youth of today.

There must be something complicating the league making a decision on Williams's appeal. If it was "Yes, he clearly violated the league policy" I would think they would have announced it by now. People tend to stall when decisions are complicated or controversial; this decision could be either or both.

I wish they'd just decide. It would help me a bit one one league if he's suspended, since I own Ronnie Brown. But mostly as a football fan I just want to know what all the evidence is, and what the decision is. I bet the Dolphins would like to know, too.

Sun Sentinel Article

Now clean-shaven and noticeably slimmer then when he last played football on Jan. 1, Williams addressed his pending ban for the first time Friday night while attending the launch of teammate Chris Chambers' new charity foundation CATCH 84. "I'm on the team right now. What's going to happen, I can't really say," Williams said. "I'm a spiritual person, so I believe that whatever happens is God's will. Whatever it is, I'll make the best of this and life goes on."

After appealing the failed test to the NFL 13 days ago in New York, Williams could know his fate as early as this week. Williams, who had failed three previous drug tests for marijuana, faces a one-year ban if the NFL rejects his appeal. Williams declined comment on questions related to the appeals process, but a source said he tested positive for a drug other than marijuana. Asked whether it was difficult having to wait to learn his fate, Williams said, "I'm not waiting. I've talked before about having expectations. Having a relationship with God and being a spiritual person, I know that whatever He wants is going to happen."

Decked in an all-white outfit consisting of a golf shirt, cotton slacks and Nike sneakers, Williams appeared to have lost a considerable amount of bulk after having spent several months this offseason on a yoga retreat in India. Williams also dropped weight during the year he spent away from football before his return to the Dolphins last July. Williams mingled with Chambers and fellow teammates Randy McMichael and Daunte Culpepper at the Friday night function at Shula's Steak 2. The core of the Dolphins' offense even took a photo together with comedian and event co-host Tommy Davidson, who joked earlier that Williams had nothing to worry about with future drug testing because Barry Bonds and Lawrence Taylor would be the administrators.

"That [photo] was a classic -- and we're missing two other good players in Book and Ronnie," said Chambers, referring to wide receiver Marty Booker and tailback Ronnie Brown. "That's the kind of team we are. We're more of a team these days. We support each other. Ricky doesn't usually come to these things, but I let him know he would be in a comfortable environment. I think he really had a good time. This was like a bonding experience for us."

Williams said he is appreciative of how much backing he has received from the Dolphins during the appeals process. "I'm very blessed," said Williams, who is participating in the team's workout program. "I've had my ups and downs. Still, for some reason, my teammates and especially coach [Nick] Saban have been very supportive. It's a good feeling."

RICKY'S BIG DAY

Everyone with any stake in the Ricky Williams hearing has urged the NFL to hand down its verdict this week, before the draft, and the decision could be announced as early as April 25.

After hearing the case of Williams' attorney, David Cornwell, the league will make one of two choices.

Ricky Williams might have to sit out a season for the second time in three years.

It will suspend Williams from football for the next year, or it will allow him to play football this season.

Should the league reinstate Williams -- and Cornwell is said to have done a superb job arguing his case -- then the Dolphins could begin fielding offers for their running back and try to trade him before the draft. And there would be interest.

The Denver Broncos, seeking a frontline back, would be expected to jump right into the bidding for Williams' services. The Broncos already were involved in talks with the Dolphins this winter, when word of Williams potential suspension leaked out.

But if the league rules against Williams and suspends him for a year, then he is out of the league, out of sight, and out of mind.

Nobody knows the decision. But they all expect it to come very soon.
LINK

RICKY'S BIG DAY

Everyone with any stake in the Ricky Williams hearing has urged the NFL to hand down its verdict this week, before the draft, and the decision could be announced as early as April 25.

After hearing the case of Williams' attorney, David Cornwell, the league will make one of two choices.

Ricky Williams might have to sit out a season for the second time in three years.

It will suspend Williams from football for the next year, or it will allow him to play football this season.

Should the league reinstate Williams -- and Cornwell is said to have done a superb job arguing his case -- then the Dolphins could begin fielding offers for their running back and try to trade him before the draft. And there would be interest.

The Denver Broncos, seeking a frontline back, would be expected to jump right into the bidding for Williams' services. The Broncos already were involved in talks with the Dolphins this winter, when word of Williams potential suspension leaked out.

But if the league rules against Williams and suspends him for a year, then he is out of the league, out of sight, and out of mind.

Nobody knows the decision. But they all expect it to come very soon.
LINK
:pickle: :wub: Ricky :wub:

Dolphins | Williams' decision could come Tuesday; he also could be traded

Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:36:28 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams could find out his football fate for the 2006 season as early as Tuesday, April 25. Should the league reinstate Williams, then the Dolphins could begin fielding offers for their running back and try to trade him before the NFL Draft. There would be interest in Williams and the Denver Broncos could head up that list. The Broncos already were involved in talks with the Dolphins this winter, when word of Williams' potential suspension leaked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
"weed" isnt about being performance enhancing. They want it banned because of how much NFL players are role models to the youth of today.
I thought they banned it because it was an illegal drug.

While I am a recent owner of Ricky, what is his physical condition? I have seen some reports that he is down to 185 lbs and not in any condition to play football.

What is the likely value to Denver to get him if he needs 6 months of conditioning to be able to get on the field?

While I am a recent owner of Ricky, what is his physical condition? I have seen some reports that he is down to 185 lbs and not in any condition to play football.

What is the likely value to Denver to get him if he needs 6 months of conditioning to be able to get on the field?
RW is in exxcellent football shape.. I think 215ish..

Dolphins | Williams' decision could come Tuesday; he also could be traded

Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:36:28 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams could find out his football fate for the 2006 season as early as Tuesday, April 25. Should the league reinstate Williams, then the Dolphins could begin fielding offers for their running back and try to trade him before the NFL Draft. There would be interest in Williams and the Denver Broncos could head up that list. The Broncos already were involved in talks with the Dolphins this winter, when word of Williams' potential suspension leaked out.
I have to think that Ricky has a chance of winning this appeal - if it was a cut and dry positive the "no" would have been rubber stamped already. What does he fetch the Fins in a deal (I'm thinking 3rd rder) and if he goes to a team like Denver are we looking RBBC again???

Actually I can see the Broncos just using Ricky as a everydown back. Tinker Bell goes on the DL with a hang nail and Ron Dayne is nothing more than a bust. However, I don't see the NFL making a ruling on the case this week. I hope I am wrong since I own him in my main league. I really hope he goes to Denver and become 1200 yrd. guy again. :football:

Do they even test for weed in other sports?  I don't do it, but can't really say that I have a problem with those who do.  It should probably even be legal.  I haven't fully thought this through, but then at least it would be regulated (safe, never laced) and we could tax the heck out of it to help mitigate rising health care costs.  Oh yeah, and RBs wouldn't ever get suspended for doing it.

PS: I do not smoke pot.  Ever.  I do enjoy beer quite a bit though.
While we're at it, can we sign up our pilots and school bus drivers too???
Hey BB, just a question for you? Your avatar is a glass of brew, right? I suppose you never get behind the wheel of a car after a couple of drinks. Its just as illegal as smoking pot. I personally don't do it, but If you do or ever done anything illegal, isn't your take on this a little self righteous? It isn't performance enhancing, so I don't know what the big deal is here. As far as the pilots and bus drivers go, as long as they aren't stoned on the job, who cares! I like to tip back some cold ones as much as the next guy, but I don't show up to work drunk and I would expect that out of anyone who holds a job of any kind. Basically, I believe people can do what they want (within reason) on their own time.

Do they even test for weed in other sports?  I don't do it, but can't really say that I have a problem with those who do.  It should probably even be legal.  I haven't fully thought this through, but then at least it would be regulated (safe, never laced) and we could tax the heck out of it to help mitigate rising health care costs.  Oh yeah, and RBs wouldn't ever get suspended for doing it.

Hey BB, just a question for you? Your avatar is a glass of brew, right? I suppose you never get behind the wheel of a car after a couple of drinks. Its just as illegal as smoking pot. I personally don't do it, but If you do or ever done anything illegal, isn't your take on this a little self righteous? It isn't performance enhancing, so I don't know what the big deal is here. As far as the pilots and bus drivers go, as long as they aren't stoned on the job, who cares! I like to tip back some cold ones as much as the next guy, but I don't show up to work drunk and I would expect that out of anyone who holds a job of any kind. Basically, I believe people can do what they want (within reason) on their own time.
Yup.meanwhile the NFL has no problems with thugs & punks like Ricky Manning Jr but Ricky Williams is facing a year long suspension for possibly smoking pot.

Crazy.

I shouldn't have made that tongue and cheek remark in a football thread.It's been a looooong time since I've been behind the wheel at or above .08. I honesty couldn't tell you (or remember ;) ) when that was. That's really not pertinent anyway. Actually I don't care if people smoke, however I do believe that an employer has the right to test for controlled substances. I used to be a bigger proponent of legalizing dope, but the job the gov't has done with alcohol makes me wonder about that. As I stated earlier, my last employer had a zero tolerence for alcohol and if you tested at .01, you were gone. They did that for safety reasons. Bottom line is that Ricky knew the rules and chose not to follow them. Of course weed isn't even in play this go around.

Yup.meanwhile the NFL has no problems with thugs & punks like Ricky Manning Jr but Ricky Williams is facing a year long suspension for possibly smoking pot.

Crazy.
Do you have a link to the Manning Jr story? I've never heard about it before and would like to get up to speed.Edit - Saw a Denny's reference in another thread...would that be a good place to look?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread