What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ricky's hearing discussion (1 Viewer)

BigJim®

Footballguy
According to today's Miami Herald:

However, unlike his first three positive tests, Williams did not test positive for marijuana this time, according to three sources. According to one source, Williams tested positive for what is commonly known as an ''upper'' or amphetamine-like substance.

''If you know Ricky, this is not the type of thing you'd expect from him,'' agent Leigh Steinberg said last week. ``What they're saying he used, it's just not him. It's not in his character. It doesn't make sense.''

Steinberg said Williams, who has admitted to marijuana use on numerous occasions, denied taking the substance he tested positive for in December. Now, Williams and Cornwell, who has battled at least 20 drug cases during his career and gotten players off for unwittingly taking a substance, must convince Pash.

''We all know that Ricky can be quite compelling, and he's going to have to be all of that,'' Steinberg said.
So, the defense appears to be "Ricky's a pot/downer guy, not an amphetamine/upper guy... which proves the positive test had to be an error." Also found it a little interesting that the story says he tested positive in December of the 2005 season, and not over the offseason.http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/14305842.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Further info supporting Ricky: Ricky tested negative for 150 consecutive results. Then came the postiive result. When the League retested the questionable result a second time, the result came up negative. This was from a Florida newspaper.

EDIT: My bad. This story was from Williams LAST drug appeal, in December 2003. Heres the link.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-new...la-sports-front

Call me crazy but I think there is a chance he could beat this - I think the league will not ban him for a year for one suspect test out of 150 that is not consistent and came up negative upon retest.

Could be wrong but I think there will be a lot of unhappy Ronnie Brown owners by the end of the week

Call me crazy but I think there is a chance he could beat this - I think the league will not ban him for a year for one suspect test out of 150 that is not consistent and came up negative upon retest.

Could be wrong but I think there will be a lot of unhappy Ronnie Brown owners by the end of the week
but just as many happy Ricky owners. :thumbup:

According to today's Miami Herald:

However, unlike his first three positive tests, Williams did not test positive for marijuana this time, according to three sources. According to one source, Williams tested positive for what is commonly known as an ''upper'' or amphetamine-like substance.

''If you know Ricky, this is not the type of thing you'd expect from him,'' agent Leigh Steinberg said last week. ``What they're saying he used, it's just not him. It's not in his character. It doesn't make sense.''

Steinberg said Williams, who has admitted to marijuana use on numerous occasions, denied taking the substance he tested positive for in December. Now, Williams and Cornwell, who has battled at least 20 drug cases during his career and gotten players off for unwittingly taking a substance, must convince Pash.

''We all know that Ricky can be quite compelling, and he's going to have to be all of that,'' Steinberg said.
So, the defense appears to be "Ricky's a pot/downer guy, not an amphetamine/upper guy... which proves the positive test had to be an error." Also found it a little interesting that the story says he tested positive in December of the 2005 season, and not over the offseason.http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/14305842.htm
Best defense eva! :banned:

Substances which can cause false positives for amphetamines

Ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, propylephedrine, phenylephrine, or desoxyephedrine (Nyquil, Contact, Sudafed, Allerest, Tavist-D, Dimetapp, etc) Phenegan-D, Robitussin Cold and Flu, Vicks Nyquil, Over-the-counter diet aids with phenylpropanolamine (Dexatrim, Accutrim) Over-the-counter nasal sprays (Vicks inhaler, Afrin) Asthma medications (Marax, Bronkaid tablets, Primatine Tablets) Prescription medications (Amfepramone, Cathne, Etafediabe, Morazone, phendimetrazine, phenmetrazine, benzphetamine, fenfluramine, dexfenfluramine, dexdenfluramine,Redux, mephentermine, Mesocarb, methoxyphenamine, phentermine, amineptine, Pholedrine, hydroymethamphetamine, Dexedrine, amifepramone, clobenzorex, fenproyorex, mefenorex, fenelylline, Didrex, dextroamphetamine, methphenidate, Ritalin, pemoline, Cylert, selegiline, Deprenyl, Eldepryl, Famprofazone)

I also think Ricky is going to win this.

His appeal is set for today. When will the NFL come out with it's decision?

Ronnie Brown owners :sadbanana:

Dolphin fans :clap:

Ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, propylephedrine, phenylephrine, or desoxyephedrine (Nyquil, Contact, Sudafed, Allerest, Tavist-D, Dimetapp, etc) Phenegan-D, Robitussin Cold and Flu, Vicks Nyquil, Over-the-counter diet aids with phenylpropanolamine (Dexatrim, Accutrim) Over-the-counter nasal sprays (Vicks inhaler, Afrin) Asthma medications (Marax, Bronkaid tablets, Primatine Tablets) Prescription medications (Amfepramone, Cathne, Etafediabe, Morazone, phendimetrazine, phenmetrazine, benzphetamine, fenfluramine, dexfenfluramine, dexdenfluramine,Redux, mephentermine, Mesocarb, methoxyphenamine, phentermine, amineptine, Pholedrine, hydroymethamphetamine, Dexedrine, amifepramone, clobenzorex, fenproyorex, mefenorex, fenelylline, Didrex, dextroamphetamine, methphenidate, Ritalin, pemoline, Cylert, selegiline, Deprenyl, Eldepryl, Famprofazone)
Which Julius Peppers was suspended for and is banned by the FDA.I believe several of those supplements are banned by the Olympics, etc so wouldn't be surprised if NFL had issues with them. We don't hear about them since they aren't as prominent

And I take this one almost daily.. Only cold medicine that works for me..It's Sudafed...

Sudafed

DESCRIPTION

(In order to avoid confusion, the brand name for this product has been included in the prescribing information).

Each Novafed capsule contains 120 mg of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride in specially formulated pellets designed to provide continuous therapeutic effect for 12 hours. About one-half of the active ingredient is released soon after administration and the rest slowly over the remaining time period. Each capsule also contains as inactive ingredients: corn starch, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Yellow No. 6, gelatin, sucrose, titanium dioxide, and other ingredients.
Is that banned?

Sudafed 

DESCRIPTION

(In order to avoid confusion, the brand name for this product has been included in the prescribing information).

Each Novafed capsule contains 120 mg of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride in specially formulated pellets designed to provide continuous therapeutic effect for 12 hours. About one-half of the active ingredient is released soon after administration and the rest slowly over the remaining time period. Each capsule also contains as inactive ingredients: corn starch, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Yellow No. 6, gelatin, sucrose, titanium dioxide, and other ingredients.
Is that banned?
Sudafed was just removed from the ban list by the International Olympic Committee, doubt the NFL bans it.http://espn.go.com/oly/news/2003/0917/1617822.html

And I take this one almost daily.. Only cold medicine that works for me..It's Sudafed...
In Minnesota, you'd probably be on some methampetamine watch list. Due to rampant labs which use this ingredient to manufacture meth, since early 2005 products containing pseudoephedrine are no longer available over the counter in Minnesota. Only 7.5 grams per month of any sudafed/dayquil type product may be obtained with perscription. Most of these products have since replaced the pseudoephedrine ingredient in their non-perscription medicine with some worthless ingredient to allow over the counter sales. Basically, their products are now worthless.

it's not too often that they reverse suspensions, in fact, his chances are slim to none..a 3-time loser like Ricky might not have a chance at all, just because he's a multi-repeat offender...the margin of allowed slip-ups for taking sudafed or whatever , is nil...if they take a hardline approach and factor previous suspensions into this, he's suspended for the year without a doubt..

he's a good player, I hope he still has a future in the NFL..

it's not too often that they reverse suspensions, in fact, his chances are slim to none..a 3-time loser like Ricky might not have a chance at all, just because he's a multi-repeat offender...the margin of allowed slip-ups for taking sudafed or whatever , is nil...if they take a hardline approach and factor previous suspensions into this, he's suspended for the year without a doubt..

he's a good player, I hope he still has a future in the NFL..
My initial thought would have been the same as yours... that an appeal would require some sort of extraordinary excuse to overturn a suspension. However, I'm very intrigued after reading all of these reports of how Cornwell has arbitrated many successful appeals. Too bad those appeals "never happened" due to confidentiality or else we could maybe look at analogous situations that got turned around. I'm very curious if the NFL drug program is that appeal-friendly or whether Camp Ricky is just trying to turn the PR around since this became public. Part of me just can't fathom that "he must have tested positive in error since he's not an upper sort of guy" would fly as a ground for appeal. If it succeeds, it would tell me the actual test results carry ridiculously little weight. OTOH, I can see some discretionary flexibility for a 1st time failure for a borderline substance that a 3 time loser may not get the benefit of the doubt regarding.

You are going off wrong information.Th 150 tests came LAST suspension and they didn't overturn it. The person that represented Williams then is saying that the chances of it being overturned this time are very very slim.

You are going off wrong information.Th 150 tests came LAST suspension and they didn't overturn it. The person that represented Williams then is saying that the chances of it being overturned this time are very very slim.
Yeah, they had about as strong a case as a player could have, Ricky turned down a plea bargain, and they still lost. So Ricky retired. I don't see how they have a stronger case than the one they had last time and I really doubt the NFL will be offering a plea this time... Good luck, Ricky. I like you, but I doubt I'll be watching you play this year...

This is BS, the NFL is doing everything they can to keep Williams off the field.
I'd like to point out he got a bargain when he was allowed to unretire and only face a four game suspension. The NFL has been very pro-Ricky throughout this process and Ricky has no one to blame but himself for where he is.

Ricky Williams hearing moved

JASON COLE

4/10/2006

NEW YORK - The NFL hearing for Dolphins running back Ricky Williams concerning alleged substance abuse was moved to an undisclosed location in New York Monday afternoon, according to Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg.

The hearing was moved to avoid reporters who were staked out in front of the NFL offices. Steinberg said he was not sure how long it would take the NFL to decide upon the appeal, but expected a decison before this month's NFL draft.

http://www.miami.com/

Williams appeals positive drug test; results pending

Associated Press

4/10/2006

NEW YORK -- Ricky Williams and his lawyer met Monday with NFL counsel Jeff Pash, seeking to have the league overturn a positive drug test that could cost him the entire 2006 season.

The league, which doesn't acknowledge drug tests until there is a final determination, had no comment on the appeal. Williams' lawyer, David Cornwell, acknowledged that the hearing was taking place, but had no further comment.

The results of the hearing won't be made known immediately but if the positive test is upheld, it would be Williams' fourth violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy, meaning at least a one-year suspension.

Previous positive tests were for marijuana, which Williams acknowledged using. But the latest test apparently involved a drug other than marijuana.

Williams retired and sat out the 2004 season. He owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract, and motivated at least partly by the need for a paycheck, he returned last year to play for new Miami coach Nick Saban.

Before being allowed to return, Williams served a four-game suspension at the start of the season for his third violation of the drug program. He still ran for 743 yards last season and averaged 4.4 yards per carry while sharing playing time with rookie Ronnie Brown. Williams gained 280 yards in the final two games when Brown was hurt.

Associated Press

4/10/2006

NEW YORK -- Ricky Williams and his lawyer met Monday with NFL counsel Jeff Pash, seeking to have the league overturn a positive drug test that could cost him the entire 2006 season.

The league, which doesn't acknowledge drug tests until there is a final determination, had no comment on the appeal. Williams' lawyer, David Cornwell, acknowledged that the hearing was taking place, but had no further comment.

The results of the hearing won't be made known immediately but if the positive test is upheld, it would be Williams' fourth violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy, meaning at least a one-year suspension.

Previous positive tests were for marijuana, which Williams acknowledged using. But the latest test apparently involved a drug other than marijuana.

Williams retired and sat out the 2004 season. He owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract, and motivated at least partly by the need for a paycheck, he returned last year to play for new Miami coach Nick Saban.

Before being allowed to return, Williams served a four-game suspension at the start of the season for his third violation of the drug program. He still ran for 743 yards last season and averaged 4.4 yards per carry while sharing playing time with rookie Ronnie Brown. Williams gained 280 yards in the final two games when Brown was hurt.
He will beat this one and he may even be right. I have heard it could be somethng in his daily healing drink that he makes for himself that casued a false positive. I have seen nothing telling me he misses the year because this. He gets off on this one, for sure IMO.

Adam Schefter said that it could be a week or two before a decision is released. This was on Total Access just now.

Associated Press

4/10/2006

He will beat this one and he may even be right. I have heard it could be somethng in his daily healing drink that he makes for himself that casued a false positive. I have seen nothing telling me he misses the year because this. He gets off on this one, for sure IMO.
If something in his drink caused a positive it wasn't necessarily a false positive. He more than likely ingested something on the banned list, on purpose or by accident doesn't matter.

In Minnesota, you'd probably be on some methampetamine watch list. Due to rampant labs which use this ingredient to manufacture meth, since early 2005 products containing pseudoephedrine are no longer available over the counter in Minnesota. Only 7.5 grams per month of any sudafed/dayquil type product may be obtained with perscription may be obtained with perscription. Most of these products have since replaced the pseudoephedrine ingredient in their non-perscription medicine with some worthless ingredient to allow over the counter sales. Basically, their products are now worthless.
Minnesota law does not require a prescription to purchase pseudoephedrine. It is still considered an OTC medication (but only over the pharmacists counter).
The law restricts sales of many common cold and allergy medicines that contain pseudoephedrine, which is coveted by meth brewers. Products with that ingredient have been put behind pharmacy counters and anyone buying them now must show photo identification, be older than 18 and sign a log to obtain a maximum of two packages.
http://www.meshbesher.com/news/20051109-1.php

Adam Schefter said that it could be a week or two before a decision is released. This was on Total Access just now.
The news is supposed to be out before the NFL draft so that's probably about right. Plus they need to analyze whatever new info came to light today. I know it's a longshot, but can you just imagine how crazy it would be to see Ricky win this thing, then get traded to Denver on draft day???

The news is supposed to be out before the NFL draft so that's probably about right. Plus they need to analyze whatever new info came to light today. I know it's a longshot, but can you just imagine how crazy it would be to see Ricky win this thing, then get traded to Denver on draft day???
Thats what i'm hoping for, seeing i just traded for ricky :bag:

I'm guessing he won't win the appeal and we won't see him play again.
Even if he's suspended, I think we'll see him play next year. And play well. He's only 29 and hasn't taken a lot of damage over his career. And he's financially motivated as he owes a lot of $$$.

But he will have missed 2 out of the last 3 weeks. I just find it hard to believe he would want to come back, money or not.

While the Dolphins have a judgement against him what are they going to do, take money from nothing.

The biggest concern for me is that this was leaked to the public and therefore may somehow prevent him receiving a fair decision. Hopefully, PR won't play into this at all. I think it is very unfortunate that his privacy wasn't protected during this process.

<Best Favre voice> "And if the decision is not released in one or two weeks, what is Saban going to do? Cut me?" :popcorn:

That's the defense they are going to use but that doesnt mean its the case. Its really the only thing they can say next to accuseing the speciman of being tampered with. They are going to have to show that some substance in one of his drinks can cause a positive test for the same thing he was tested for, show that the form taken from the drink doesnt have the same harmful effects as the form being banned, show that Ricky couldnt have known it was the same substance, and show that Ricky has been living a completely drug free and healthy lifestyle. Ricky made a lot of believers for the latter. Having a healthy network of close friends and followers is the only thing so far as I can tell he has going for him. But that isnt going to prove anything about the substance itself. It doesnt make him innocent either.

He's just trying to get Ricky out of trouble. Let's not turn this into a "drugs are or aren't bad" thread. I need this one to give me good info on Ricky!

Hey Unknown Coach, :goodposting:

John Clayton shared his opinion on ESPNews that there is a 20% chance of Ricky winning at this point.

That's wack of Steinberg to insinuate that character has anything to do with drug use. :thumbdown:
so who is more likely to try drugs for the very first time?- person with high character?- person with questionable character?it may be a chicken or the egg type of discussion, but a persons character does indeed come into play with drug use. for the record - i DO NOT believe that ricky is a bad person, but he has clearly shown a pattern of poor decisions

Last edited:
That's wack of Steinberg to insinuate that character has anything to do with drug use. 

:thumbdown:
so who is more likely to try drugs for the very first time?- person with high character?

- person with questionable character?

it may be a chicken or the egg type of discussion, but a persons character does indeed come into play with drug use. for the record - i DO NOT believe that ricky is a bad person, but he has clearly shown a pattern of poor decisions
it's been my experience that character has no bearing on drug use/nonuse. i don't think someone has less character b/c they choose to have a beer at home after work or smoke a doobie before a concert. do you?
Yes. Drugs are for losers.

That's wack of Steinberg to insinuate that character has anything to do with drug use. 

:thumbdown:
so who is more likely to try drugs for the very first time?- person with high character?

- person with questionable character?

it may be a chicken or the egg type of discussion, but a persons character does indeed come into play with drug use. for the record - i DO NOT believe that ricky is a bad person, but he has clearly shown a pattern of poor decisions
it's been my experience that character has no bearing on drug use/nonuse. i don't think someone has less character b/c they choose to have a beer at home after work or smoke a doobie before a concert. do you?
less character? nomore likely to do things that would change my answer above? yes

this is painfully obvious when the person in question is risking as much as ricky is/has to smoke some weed or ingest unknown substances (combined with other poor decisions like hiring master P as his agent, his well documented driving record, etc)

...and this is coming from a ricky fan :(

Can we please, for the love of everything, not turn this thread into a debate about drug use???

And how exactly did John Clayton come up with 20%?

I don't care whether Clayton said it was 20% or 80%.

The one sure thing is that it will be 0% or 100%.
Yeah, I just thought it was a little ridiculous that Clayton came out with 20%. I know it's his job to speculate, but other than his gut feeling, there's probably nothing embedded in that number that should make us believe it.The waiting is the hardest part.

Lets stick with the facts . . .

[Miami Herald] Dolphins coach Nick Saban continued his long-standing support of running back Ricky Williams by testifying on Williams' behalf during an appeal of Williams' latest positive drug test under the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

According to a source, Saban spoke for about 30 minutes Monday over the telephone. Saban has consistently said that he will support Williams through this process, that he doesn't believe Williams used drugs in this instance, and that Williams is one of the hardest-working players he ever has coached.

Williams' attorney, David Cornwell, declined Tuesday to comment on the hearing, which lasted about seven hours, other than to say he was ``optimistic.'' But Cornwell did issue a statement through a spokesperson.

``During Monday's appeal hearing, we presented compelling evidence demonstrating that disciplining Mr. Williams would undermine the integrity of the NFL's Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse,'' the statement said.

``No timetable has been set for the final ruling. We are grateful for the time and attention that NFL attorney Jeff Pash and the program's representatives are giving to this serious matter.''

An NFL source indicated Tuesday that a decision on the appeal could come as early as next week, which would be well before the annual draft April 29-30. Once Pash makes a decision, he will pass on a recommendation to NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

Williams, who has tested positive three times in the past for marijuana use, is facing a suspension of at least one year. Williams did not test positive for marijuana this time.

Users who are viewing this thread