What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ridley vs. Vereen: What have we learned so far? (1 Viewer)

zftcg

Footballguy
  1. You can never predict beforehand who will get more usage (other than "the one on my bench")
  2. Usage is largely driven by game flow. Pats ahead = Ridley; Pats behind = Vereen
  3. Vereen has not been utilized in the passing game nearly as much as he was last year
  4. On the other hand, he has been fairly impressive in his limited number of running attempts (5.7 YPC)
  5. Regardless of how good you think he's been, Ridley has significantly outperformed his ADP (I drafted him in Rd. 8 of a 14-team 0.5 PPR)
  6. It's reasonable to look at the weekly sit-start dilemmas and mark this whole situation as a "stay away", but there is enough talent there that one or both of these guys could end up having season-long fantasy value.
Did I miss anything?

You have a better chance of winning the lottery than accurately predicting this backfield on a week to week basis.
Yep. This is a tired shtick but I have learned that I should have played Ridley every time I sit him and should have benched him when I play him - I am literally 0 for 5 so far. Would like to get 2-3 good Ridley games and see if I can get someone comparable but more stable for him.

Pats offense getting it together and scoring points should be big for Ridley, not sure if this past week was a turnaround or a mirage. It'd be nice if his bad games were 50-70 yards instead of below 30.

I still love Vereen as a ppr player. If things are going well for the Pats he is a great rb 2 or flex. I see him week to week as a 10 point floor, which is not bad at all. On some weeks he will score and he will give you something in the 20 range. That is good stuff. I would be leery of starting Ridley.

Stop making lineup decisions on them. I use Ridley as my flex unless the matchup is ungodly horrible (rare) and take the good with the bad.

Ridley is going to put up RB1 numbers for the rest of the season. Ridley has 20+ touches in each of their 3 wins and only 7.5 touches in their 2 losses, pretty clear getting him going is a key to their success.

Ridley has had 56 carries with the Pats ahead, 9 when tied, and 19 when losing. He has 1 receiving target when ahead, 0 when tied, and 3 when losing.

Vereen has 18 carries when ahead, 1 when tied, and 18 when losing. In the passing game, he has 9 targets when ahead, 3 when tied, and 11 when behind.

Ridley is going to put up RB1 numbers for the rest of the season. Ridley has 20+ touches in each of their 3 wins and only 7.5 touches in their 2 losses, pretty clear getting him going is a key to their success.
Ah, the old "questionable cause" fallacy. Is the team winning those games because Ridley is getting a lot of carries, or is Ridley getting a lot of carries in those games because the team is winning? Makes a big difference in what you think might happen going forward.

Albert Breer tweeted Pats fear Ridley has a torn ACL. MRI tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread