What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Riley Cooper (1 Viewer)

Not defending Riley but I doubt there are many blacks at a Kenny Chesney concert.
He might have to do deal with a few in the Eagles lockerroom
And possibly some hard-hitting safeties.
Especially after Michael Vick's brother just went to Twitter and offered a $1,000 bounty on Riley for whatever DB knocks the hell out of him
That sounds enticing to guys collecting 5-6 figure checks. What a idiot.
Great point...as if the idea of a bounty isn't sensitive enough - he offers $1000! Classic. This only adds to the bad rep the Vick's have. Dumb response to a dumb move...
Mike Vick forgives Riley:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/31/jason-avant-says-it-will-take-some-teammates-a-while-to-forgive-riley-cooper/

I should redact my earlier post. Very classy response by Mike Vick in my opinion.

Racist idiot but I don't feel like he should be suspended. His time, his freedom of speech, and now his consequences. Also, if Vick wants to knock him out, he should do it himself.

Isn't it hypocritical of the NFL to castigate Cooper for a racist act, but fully condone the Washington Redskins refusing to change their team name?

He had a 50/50 shot of being cut anyway. Now he made it 25/75. If it comes down to him and a guy who's pretty much even with him, Coach will probably lean towards the one with less media baggage.

Total non issue IMO but some people care about it and therefore he will have to deal with the consequences.

Not defending Riley but I doubt there are many blacks at a Kenny Chesney concert.
Especially after Michael Vick's brother just went to Twitter and offered a $1,000 bounty on Riley for whatever DB knocks the hell out of him
Great point...as if the idea of a bounty isn't sensitive enough - he offers $1000! Classic. This only adds to the bad rep the Vick's have. Dumb response to a dumb move...
Mike Vick forgives Riley:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/31/jason-avant-says-it-will-take-some-teammates-a-while-to-forgive-riley-cooper/

I should redact my earlier post. Very classy response by Mike Vick in my opinion.
He really, really needs to tell his brother to stop.....doing anything.

What's more embarrassing, that he was at a keney chesney concert and wearing jean shorts or that he dropped the n-bomb?

Both are absolutely embarrassing and wrong.

This is the same team that employs a dog killer and ex-con, but they need to cut Cooper?

And the same league where Leonard Little and Dante Stallworth can make millions after killing people with their cars while drunk driving?

Alright.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Vick forgives Riley:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/31/jason-avant-says-it-will-take-some-teammates-a-while-to-forgive-riley-cooper/

He really, really needs to tell his brother to stop.....doing anything.
He must be Dr. Evil

Oh, so there are still racists out there. In other news, water is wet. Cooper was a fringe guy to make the team anyway.

I have a hard time caring about this story of a drunk, redneck white guy making stupid remarks about black people at a country concert. Having seen what the Kenny Chesney folks did to the city of Pittsburgh after a concert there it surprises me not that this is the kind of people they attract.

I guarantee you that the "N word" is thrown around NFL locker rooms, like candy on Halloween.

I am sure the team will move on.

How many N###### are at a Keney Chesney show?

I think he was just saying that he wasn't going to fight anybody.

How many N###### are at a Keney Chesney show?

I think he was just saying that he wasn't going to fight anybody.
This would make sense if he wasn't saying it directly about a black security officer. So, by default there was at LEAST one person for him to fight.

This is the same team that employs a dog killer and ex-con, but they need to cut Cooper?

And the same league where Leonard Little and Dante Stallworth can make millions after killing people with their cars while drunk driving?

Alright.
Good Posting. It's bad but far from the worst thing that happens on yearly basis in the NFL.

I bet Paula Deen drafts Riley Cooper for her fantasy team.

Seriously though, he's going to have to work real hard to win back any chance of respect from his teammates. What a stupid, stupid man.

I love the 'that's not who I am' excuse...

no, it IS who you are.

it's what you don't want to be
I agree. It has to be in there somewhere for it to even come out. It's not a word that has ever crossed my mind no matter how mad I am. I might call the guy several other nasty names, but none of them regarding race and never the N word. My opinion of people is based on the individual, so race doesn't enter the equation. Again, if it's "not who he is" why would that ever even enter his mind? :shrug:

Alright.
think Stallworth was off the team when that happened

He's broke this is the equivalent of a 100K bounty if he had stuck in the NFL....

So this scumbag says that he does not use this word regularly (or somesuch response when asked by a reporter during the apology video). Now I realize that he has no other option but to say no. But is anyone really buying that he hasn't said that word a few hundred times? He was at a Kenny freaking Chesney concert for crying out loud. Doesn't get much dumber than that.
There are NFL players at just about every Kenny Chesney concert. If he plays in an NFL stadium, he invites coaches and players from the local team onto the stage with him when he performs 'Boys of Fall.'

When he performed at Lincoln Financial Field on June 8 (I was there, I guess I'm a racist, too) Chip Kelly, Riley Cooper and numerous Eagles were on stage during the song. I could tell from the far end zone that Cooper was drunk, but he looked like he was having a damn good time.

No excuses for his actions, though.

It will be interesting to see the fallout. I don't consider him a marginal WR as others do. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a starter for this team if he survives.

What he did is wrong and being drunk is no excuse, but to the people that say he is a racist because he said what he said to black security guard that he was upset with. We have all blurted out things we don't mean in the heat of an argument or when we were mad, it doesn't make him a racist, just like every person that gets a DUI isn't a drunk, everyone that cheats on their spouse isn't a sex addict and everyone that gets into a fight doesn't need anger management.

He apologized and should be allowed to go on with his career and life whether it is with the Eagles or anyone else, lets not forget that it is just a word and the only power it has is the power that we as individuals give it.

Tell that to Gregg Williams.

Alright.
think Stallworth was off the team when that happened
No he wasn't with the Eagles, but my point was he signed 4 one year contracts totaling 3.5m after his one year suspension for the DUI murder.

From Brandon Graham:

@BGraham54: All jokes aside #RileyCooper made a mistake and life goes on. Nobody is perfect we all mess up sometimes. I forgive him and the team does to

Bigboy10182000 said:
From Brandon Graham:

@BGraham54: All jokes aside #RileyCooper made a mistake and life goes on. Nobody is perfect we all mess up sometimes. I forgive him and the team does to
His teammates will be the first to forgive him. Other teams DB's will certainly not be as easy to convince, and he will get crushed out there every game (if he makes the team)

Bigboy10182000 said:
From Brandon Graham:

His teammates will be the first to forgive him. Other teams DB's will certainly not be as easy to convince, and he will get crushed out there every game (if he makes the team)
So defenders will want to play harder now that he made this comment? Or they'll illegally hit him?

This isnt a movie or what you want/hope it to be. People want to hit Tebow just as hard as they want to hit Cooper.

bbuster said:
killing joke said:

no, it IS who you are.

I agree. It has to be in there somewhere for it to even come out. It's not a word that has ever crossed my mind no matter how mad I am. I might call the guy several other nasty names, but none of them regarding race and never the N word. My opinion of people is based on the individual, so race doesn't enter the equation. Again, if it's "not who he is" why would that ever even enter his mind? :shrug:
My feeling is, when you are pissed at someone and ready to fight them you throw the most harmful words you can at them in the process. Those words don't always regard race but sometimes they might. There's no doubt that this was a slap across the face to the security guard.

Making 1 racist statement does not a racist make, imo.

Still, he will be punished and rightfully so.

Last edited by a moderator:
@AdamSchefter: Roger Goodell said on Mike and Mike this morning that the NFL will not take any further action against WR Riley Cooper.

KellysHeroes said:
he apologizied (after he got caught), everyone has a bad moment every now and then. He didn't break any laws and don't think he should lose his job or be fined over this unless it theres multiple instances of this happening with him. But I'm sure the league will be PC and destory him.
He has every right to say what he wants, and his employers have every right to fire him if he says something they deem will give them bad publicity. I would fire him in a heartbeat for this - he didn't break any laws but as an employer you simply don't want to be associated with that kind of publicity.

@AdamSchefter: Roger Goodell said on Mike and Mike this morning that the NFL will not take any further action against WR Riley Cooper.
THat's probably a good idea since no one has taken any action against the Washington REDSKINS for using a racial slur every day of their existance.

KellysHeroes said:
he apologizied (after he got caught), everyone has a bad moment every now and then. He didn't break any laws and don't think he should lose his job or be fined over this unless it theres multiple instances of this happening with him. But I'm sure the league will be PC and destory him.
He has every right to say what he wants, and his employers have every right to fire him if he says something they deem will give them bad publicity. I would fire him in a heartbeat for this - he didn't break any laws but as an employer you simply don't want to be associated with that kind of publicity.
New to the NFL?

The fact that he hasn't been cut is telling. The Eagles obviously think he matters to winning an losing games. He has been groomed for this moment for two years. I don't think his job is/was in jeopardy unless they Eagles signs a similar player soon. Like it or not, it's true.

Whoever released the video probably had no clue who Cooper was until Maclin was injured. We'll see if this dies down or not. He deserves the media assault he will receive all season. If he survives, good for him. Anyone that has studied black history knows why this is such a sensitive issue. Regardless of his "real" character or what he "really" meant he associated himself instantly with 300+ years of oppression. It's like marketing. Thats where he went wrong if it was unconscious. His teammates will say the right things, but we will never know what they really think.

THat's probably a good idea since no one has taken any action against the Washington REDSKINS for using a racial slur every day of their existance.
That has NOTHING on the n-word!!!!!!!!!!!
You are clearly mistaken. I won't lecture on this but I can assure you that if you are interested in learning about how much this is very much a slur towards a people, please go research it. You will come away with a different perspective.

KellysHeroes said:
New to the NFL?
No, just stating a personal opinion. Not sure what your comment means really. I would fire him, the Eagles have every right to, but they have every right to keep him if they want as well.

You are clearly mistaken. I won't lecture on this but I can assure you that if you are interested in learning about how much this is very much a slur towards a people, please go research it. You will come away with a different perspective.
I agree. I know nothing about the word redskin but I do know a little about Native American history. It seems just as offensive.

Bigboy10182000 said:
From Brandon Graham:

So guys are going to be more motivated to hit a guy because he said a word? Then they need a new job if they can't get up to play without someone saying a random word nor directed at them.

Or are you suggesting guys are going to go the extra mile and risk $25k just to blow up Riley freakin Cooper.

Sorry...I was being sarcastic :bag:

I bet 75% of the people on the Eagles roster have used the N word in the locker room. It's just only wrong if a white person says it...which is oddly racist.

Before I get flamed, I'm definitely not defending Cooper. I think he's wrong for what he did.

bbuster said:
killing joke said:

no, it IS who you are.

My feeling is, when you are pissed at someone and ready to fight them you throw the most harmful words you can at them in the process. Those words don't always regard race but sometimes they might. There's no doubt that this was a slap across the face to the security guard.

Making 1 racist statement does not a racist make, imo.

Still, he will be punished and rightfully so.
I could get on board with this if he just directed at the security guard , but he didn't

You guys are missing the boat.

Knuckleheads like Cooper are a dime a dozen.

It's when a guy like Vick steps up and publicly forgives such a transgression that should be the focus in that it shows rare character.

Users who are viewing this thread