What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Riley Cooper (2 Viewers)

You guys are missing the boat.

Knuckleheads like Cooper are a dime a dozen.

It's when a guy like Vick steps up and publicly forgives such a transgression that should be the focus in that it shows rare character.
Taking nothing away from Vick but I imagine his own indescretions play a key role in being that person that both understands that things go south sometimes and being the person to extend the olive branch. That, to me, demonstrates more than his words (which were very commendable). His actions speak volumes more.

Atta Boy for Michael Vick.

KellysHeroes said:
Billy Bats said:
This is the same team that employs a dog killer and ex-con, but they need to cut Cooper?

And the same league where Leonard Little and Dante Stallworth can make millions after killing people with their cars while drunk driving?

Alright.
think Stallworth was off the team when that happened
I admire how Stallworth handled his mistake. I don't think most of us would have handled it as well. I think a big part of the reason Stallworth is still out there getting a contract is because of how he handled it.

It's when a guy like Vick steps up and publicly forgives such a transgression that should be the focus in that it shows rare character.
Vick has his leader mask on. He is trying to win a job here.

I bet 75% of the people on the Eagles roster have used the N word in the locker room. It's just only wrong if a white person says it...which is oddly racist.

Before I get flamed, I'm definitely not defending Cooper. I think he's wrong for what he did.
Ever hear of a homonym or slang?

@AdamSchefter: Roger Goodell said on Mike and Mike this morning that the NFL will not take any further action against WR Riley Cooper.
THat's probably a good idea since no one has taken any action against the Washington REDSKINS for using a racial slur every day of their existance.
Listening to sports talk in Philly this morning, Cooper was obviously a main topic. AA caller calls in and rages on how he shouldn't have a job and the Eagles are a disgrace if they keep him on their team. Host asks caller if he will stop watching the Eagles if he stays on the team, caller's response was "Oh I don't watch the Eagles, I'm a Redskins fan". :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I bet 75% of the people on the Eagles roster have used the N word in the locker room. It's just only wrong if a white person says it...which is oddly racist.

Before I get flamed, I'm definitely not defending Cooper. I think he's wrong for what he did.
Of course, but I don't understand how it's SO offensive if a white guy says it, but if a black guy says it to them then it actually means a good thing? I know it's not okay to call people racist terms, and the N word is definitely a racist term. I just don't understand when/why it became for black people to call other black people the N word and it's okay? Indians don't go around calling each other Redskins.

Edit: And I do understand the context in which someone is saying it DOES matter. I just think that if it was such a terrible, most offensive thing someone could possibly say, then why do they say it themselves?

Last edited by a moderator:

Of course, but I don't understand how it's SO offensive if a white guy says it, but if a black guy says it to them then it actually means a good thing? I know it's not okay to call people racist terms, and the N word is definitely a racist term. I just don't understand when/why it became for black people to call other black people the N word and it's okay? Indians don't go around calling each other Redskins.

Edit: And I do understand the context in which someone is saying it DOES matter. I just think that if it was such a terrible, most offensive thing someone could possibly say, then why do they say it themselves?
Don't bring the R word into this.

Quiet, you dirty stinkin' W.

he talked like any other NFL players does .... just the color of his skin makes it a topic ... so sick of it all, either tell everyone to use it, or everyone not to use it, don't make certain words only allowable based on color of skin

please - enough of the racism - all of it

KellysHeroes said:
he apologizied (after he got caught), everyone has a bad moment every now and then. He didn't break any laws and don't think he should lose his job or be fined over this unless it theres multiple instances of this happening with him. But I'm sure the league will be PC and destory him.
He has every right to say what he wants, and his employers have every right to fire him if he says something they deem will give them bad publicity. I would fire him in a heartbeat for this - he didn't break any laws but as an employer you simply don't want to be associated with that kind of publicity.
New to the NFL?
No, just stating a personal opinion. Not sure what your comment means really. I would fire him, the Eagles have every right to, but they have every right to keep him if they want as well.
for a 20 second clip on youtube? If this behavior was displayed multiple times then yes, but if this the 1st instance (a 20 sec clip where he yells a slur and walks away) that would be harsh.

Quiet, you dirty stinkin' W.
:porked:

Black people began using the word to take ownership of it. It is a means of empowerment. Christians use the cross in a similar way IMO. While it's not nearly as divisive, if a black comedian made redneck jokes, I don't think it would go over well. Compared to Jeff Foxworthy.

I do think society has evolved to where context means a lot with respect to this word. Louis CK can discuss it in a comedy routine and no one holds a rally.

But clearly the context RC used it here is all terrible, to intimidate a black security guard in an audience of almost all white people.

[SIZE=10.5pt]It's not that simple. I've been around people of other races where I could comfortably say they mean it with 0 intention of letting me know they consider me less of a human being than they are. I for one speak up for myself in those situations, but I do understand that some people are just integrated in that society for whatever reason. A black person can take the word and use it with ill intent if he chose to as well. So contrary to what you want to believe it's not a black thing or white thing; It’s a matter of are you calling someone an n-word because you unjustly think you have some authority over them because of skin color whether that’s verbally, physically, or mentally. That can be said about almost anything. I could choke a girl and call her all sorts of words if I know when/where it’s appropriate. Hint: it’s not a country music concert.[/SIZE]

So to get this thread back on topic as this relates to fantasy...

This is actually a good thing for us fantasy owners.

If the Eagles keep him on the roster it means they think they need him to be successful this season, since if he was a bubble guy they'd just drop him now to save the PR trouble. Since they seem to be keeping him (so far) that's a positive indication he'll have fantasy value this year.

If the Eagles keep him on the roster it means they think they need him to be successful this season, since if he was a bubble guy they'd just drop him now to save the PR trouble. Since they seem to be keeping him (so far) that's a positive indication he'll have fantasy value this year.
He may certainly have value, but keep in mind they just lost Maclin for the year. They may not be so quick to lose another veteran WR. I think his value is yet to be determined.

His value depends on who the QB is, Vick or Foles

;)

do you really want me to cut and paste lyrics from a rap song ?

the word is fine to use - it should be for everyone and if it isn't, white people should gather their words, blacks their words, browns their words .... make it really, REALLY racist and further divide this nation. Obama would love it, NAACP would cheer it ...

Im liking how this will effect Cooper's draft stock. Id be surprised if he wasnt at least relevant for Philly this year.

Right. Words say more about a man's character than his actions. What a hero. :doh:

Context, context, context. Also, the emphasis of the -ER- at the end of the N word as opposed to it being pronounced with an -A- at the end makes all the difference.

Black people began using the word to take ownership of it. It is a means of empowerment. Christians use the cross in a similar way IMO. While it's not nearly as divisive, if a black comedian made redneck jokes, I don't think it would go over well. Compared to Jeff Foxworthy.

I do think society has evolved to where context means a lot with respect to this word. Louis CK can discuss it in a comedy routine and no one holds a rally.

But clearly the context RC used it here is all terrible, to intimidate a black security guard in an audience of almost all white people.
:goodposting:

he talked like any other NFL players does .... just the color of his skin makes it a topic ... so sick of it all, either tell everyone to use it, or everyone not to use it, don't make certain words only allowable based on color of skin

please - enough of the racism - all of it
You must have not watched the youtube clip. It wasn't a casual "N" dropped.... it was dropped with hatred.

LeSean McCoy is getting crushed on twitter over this cause he said he cannot respect a man like Riley Cooper. Understandable stance, but given McCoy's recent past as a woman abuser and a deadbeat dad, he's probably not the one who should be saying it. Between those two, Vick and an arrogant ##### like DeSean Jackson, that is quite a cast of characters the Eagles have at the skill positions. And the class guy in the bunch, Maclin, is the one who gets hurt. :no:

LeSean McCoy is getting crushed on twitter over this cause he said he cannot respect a man like Riley Cooper. Understandable stance, but given McCoy's recent past as a woman abuser and a deadbeat dad, he's probably not the one who should be saying it. Between those two, Vick and an arrogant ##### like DeSean Jackson, that is quite a cast of characters the Eagles have at the skill positions. And the class guy in the bunch, Maclin, is the one who gets hurt. :no:
It's hard to take those words from McCoy seriously when he apparently has no problem playing with a dog killer.

It's hard to take those words from McCoy seriously when he apparently has no problem playing with a dog killer.
Vick spent over a year and a half in prison. He did his time. Get over it.

If Cooper walked into a locker room and said to a black teammate in a genuinely warm tone, "hello my n---a," and they got upset about it, then what you're talking about might have some validity as a topic of discussion.

But that isn't what happened. Cooper used the word to mean its most racist meaning. His intention for it was to carry the full racist context.

It being ok for a black person to use it in a clearly non-racist context does not mean it's ok for Cooper to use in a clearly racist context.

Cooper deserves the grief he gets. It's a good thing for society to see it happen. Kids who are being brought up by otherwise racist parents need to see that being racist isn't going to be quietly tolerated in our society. Let's not try to spin this into some argument about non-racist use of the word. That doesn't apply to what happened.

If Cooper walked into a locker room and said to a black teammate in a genuinely warm tone, "hello my n---a," and they got upset about it, then what you're talking about might have some validity as a topic of discussion.

But that isn't what happened. Cooper used the word to mean it's most racist meaning. His intention for it was to carry the full racist context.

It being ok for a black person to use it in a clearly non-racist context does not mean it's ok for Cooper to use in a clearly racist context.

Cooper deserves the grief he gets. It's a good thing for society to see it happen. Kids who are being brought up by otherwise racist parents need to see that being racist isn't going to be quietly tolerated in our society. Let's not try to spin this into some argument about non-racist use of the word. That doesn't apply to what happened.
:goodposting:

Lol get a life, don't bring Vick into this. "Dog killer" lmaooo cue the dramatics, Vick got boned bad and doesn't even seem resentful about it. There are worse people in the league than Mike Vick.

Sounds like McCoy isn't happy....

"LeSean McCoy told me what hurts about Cooper's remarks is "losing a friend." I asked him what that meant, "I can't respect a guy like that."

per twitter.

But that isn't what happened. Cooper used the word to mean it's most racist meaning. His intention for it was to carry the full racist context.

I agree. I'm not trying to defend his actions and I understand that context is everything. I know my argument is off topic here and I know people probably disagree with me so this is the last time I'll say anything. My point is that if it's going to continue being a hate/racist word forever then maybe they should stop calling each other the same name. To me, it makes the use of the word "less" racist.

My only other justification for him is that maybe he grew up in a racist family. It still doesn't make it alright, but maybe his family always acted that way. He was obviously drunk and angry. Don't most NFL players hate being opposed when they are confronted in public, especially while in public?

Again, what he said was absolutely wrong and I'm completely against any type of racism. I'm just trying to explain this situation (mainly to myself) based on my personal life experiences and through meeting tons of people ranging from growing up in Harlem to never seeing a black person in their life. A child has no control over where they grew up and who there parents are. They do have control over their own lives when they are adults. Alcohol makes people make bad decisions and people say bad #### when they are drunk and mad. I've met way more racist people in my life that have never even said the N word. He's paying the price now for his mistake which was saying a word. To me, it seems like he's being attacked more then people who abuse their wives/girlfriends and who assault people in bars. Nobody seems to care about that.

@RoobCSN: After Thursday's practice, Riley Cooper said teammates have been supportive. "There's been no friction." My story: http://t.co/uEEvSh84mD
Do you expect them to say I hate the jerk? Let's be realistic.
Sounds like McCoy isn't happy....

"LeSean McCoy told me what hurts about Cooper's remarks is "losing a friend." I asked him what that meant, "I can't respect a guy like that."

per twitter.

I agree. I'm not trying to defend his actions and I understand that context is everything. I know my argument is off topic here and I know people probably disagree with me so this is the last time I'll say anything. My point is that if it's going to continue being a hate/racist word forever then maybe they should stop calling each other the same name. To me, it makes the use of the word "less" racist. My only other justification for him is that maybe he grew up in a racist family. It still doesn't make it alright, but maybe his family always acted that way. He was obviously drunk and angry. Don't most NFL players hate being opposed when they are confronted in public, especially while in public?

Again, what he said was absolutely wrong and I'm completely against any type of racism. I'm just trying to explain this situation (mainly to myself) based on my personal life experiences and through meeting tons of people ranging from growing up in Harlem to never seeing a black person in their life. A child has no control over where they grew up and who there parents are. They do have control over their own lives when they are adults. Alcohol makes people make bad decisions and people say bad #### when they are drunk and mad. I've met way more racist people in my life that have never even said the N word. He's paying the price now for his mistake which was saying a word. To me, it seems like he's being attacked more then people who abuse their wives/girlfriends and who assault people in bars. Nobody seems to care about that.
It really just seems like your looking to point fingers. It's not a word that is acceptable to use in any home or social setting. I just commented because there's a reason offense is taking if the word is used out of context.

Bolded above, might be the funniest thing I've ever read on this board.

I agree. I'm not trying to defend his actions and I understand that context is everything. I know my argument is off topic here and I know people probably disagree with me so this is the last time I'll say anything. My point is that if it's going to continue being a hate/racist word forever then maybe they should stop calling each other the same name. To me, it makes the use of the word "less" racist. My only other justification for him is that maybe he grew up in a racist family. It still doesn't make it alright, but maybe his family always acted that way. He was obviously drunk and angry. Don't most NFL players hate being opposed when they are confronted in public, especially while in public?

It really just seems like your looking to point fingers. It's not a word that is acceptable to use in any home or social setting. I just commented because there's a reason offense is taking if the word is used out of context.
You're right. It's a word that shouldn't be used in any home or social setting. I disagree on the context thought. If it's going to be a bad word, it should be irregardless of context. If it's going to ruin somebody's life then I think it shouldn't be okay if a black person said the same thing. If a black guy said the same to another black guy out of anger, do you think he'd be receiving the same treatment? If a black guy said the worst possible insult to a white guy, do you think he'd be receiving the same treatment? Probably not.

The only thing that really grates on me is intolerance, but the guy has acknowledged what he did was crappy. We have all done something crappy when we were upset. He's semi-famous and somewhat screwed by the digital age. He didn't kill anyone or torture defenseless animals; I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Lol get a life, don't bring Vick into this. "Dog killer" lmaooo cue the dramatics, Vick got boned bad and doesn't even seem resentful about it. There are worse people in the league than Mike Vick.
Marcus?

You're right. It's a word that shouldn't be used in any home or social setting. I disagree on the context thought. If it's going to be a bad word, it should be irregardless of context. If it's going to ruin somebody's life then I think it shouldn't be okay if a black person said the same thing. If a black guy said the same to another black guy out of anger, do you think he'd be receiving the same treatment? If a black guy said the worst possible insult to a white guy, do you think he'd be receiving the same treatment? Probably not.
I think we should forgive the transgression, but to be clear there is nothing you can call a white man that equates to a derogatory term white folk used to describe people that they forced into servitude, raped and tortured. That's why the term is so disgusting.

actually got a tape of that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nn-x6tMm-M

When a person is fighting hard for the right to disrespect others, you have to wonder what other base level of thinking exists deep in the cesspool of their minds.

Users who are viewing this thread