What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rivers to Jets rumors picking up steam (1 Viewer)

Kiddnets

Footballguy
This is from the guy who called the Herm departutre and comensation about a week before any of the beat reporters did - so he has some credibility. I could live with this deal - would give the Jets a blue chip QB and save a lot of cap space!

"The DinoCosta Show has learned through an exclusive source that the NY Jets & San Diego Chargers are set to make a Blockbuster trade.

The Chargers will send quarterback Philip Rivers, the 4th overall pick in the 2004 NFL draft, to the Jets, in return for pass rushing defensive end John Abraham. Rivers has been stuck behind Chargers quarterback Drew Brees the last two seasons, and will be re-uniting with former Chargers asst. Brian Schottenheimer who was recently named the Jets offensive coordinator. Schottenheimer is planning to install an offensive system that is similar in design to the Chargers current system - a system that Rivers is comfortable in and familiar with. Abraham has been miffed that the Jets haven't given him a new contract after proving that he could play an entire 16 game schedule as he did last year. The Chargers will slide Abraham nicely into their 3-4 defense that will also feature Shawne Merriman, providing San Diego with a terrific twosome that will give the rest of the AFC West fits. This trade makes sense for both teams and makes the Chargers "quiet" signing of quarterback A.J. Feeley last season something that was apparently done with the long term in mind. A big question for the Jets is what will they do with current quarterback Chad Pennington...should he be successful in returning from major shoulder surgery for a second time."

That would be awesome for both sides
I agree - SD's defense would be scary and Jets getto rebuild with a blue chip QB for cheap. Both teams would also have good picks left! Jets could get Rivers, Brick and a RB in rd 2 - not a bad way to quickly rebuild a stuttering offense! Bryan Thomas can hold the fort at DE - as we saw in the playoffs last year. Jets would clear a ton of cap room in the deal! They make it sound close - probably waiting on Brees update.

So who would be the QB, Pennington or Rivers?
Probably let them duke it out in camp if Penny is healthy enough. I think rivers is better suited for Schotts new offense. Jets would have a $23M backup!

Heard a couple of minutes of the Michael Kay show yesterday as he was emphatically saying this would absolutely not happen because of Brees' arm. So, given his football expertise, I'd say the deal will happen. ;)

That would be awesome for both sides
I agree - SD's defense would be scary and Jets getto rebuild with a blue chip QB for cheap. Both teams would also have good picks left! Jets could get Rivers, Brick and a RB in rd 2 - not a bad way to quickly rebuild a stuttering offense! Bryan Thomas can hold the fort at DE - as we saw in the playoffs last year. Jets would clear a ton of cap room in the deal! They make it sound close - probably waiting on Brees update.
This would be an awesome trade. Rivers, D'Brick and Calhoun .. that'd be great.

They make it sound close - probably waiting on Brees update.
It will probably be some time before they know how his shoulder is, however. I'm a bit skeptical on this one.

i dont think this trade will happen

i really dont see the Chargers trading Rivers now with Brees' arm injury

its fun to speculate about, but then who would the Chargers #2 QB be? AJ Feely? Gimme a break...

I'm not sold on Dino Costa's reliability. That said, I would be shocked if the Jets aren't shopping Abraham around, since I haven't heard that they're negotiating with him, and they're unlikely to pay him $8.3 million under the franchise tag, since they're $25 million over the cap. This is sort of an obvious rumor...

They feel that good about Brees' arm?

J
I think they do, but I can't see them trading Rivers until they are certain. It's unfortunate, but Brees' injury had a big impact on Rivers' availability.

Wouldn't the Jets just cut Penny if this deal goes through?
I don't know that they would- cap hit would be enormous. I still think he restructures this offseason, along with Martin and Mawae.

I don't know that they would- cap hit would be enormous. I still think he restructures this offseason, along with Martin and Mawae.
One step back to take several steps forward? Cap hit would be fierce this year but it would be nice to get that contract off the books going forward.

One step back to take several steps forward? Cap hit would be fierce this year but it would be nice to get that contract off the books going forward.
If there is no progress with CBA they can dump Pennington in '07 without any repercussions

If SD gets Abraham...look out.
The Chargers don't really need Abraham with Foley and Phillips at ROLB. With Godfrey coming back for another year they are set at all their LB positions.

what about this means that it's picking up steam and not just someone repeating the rumor?

And BTW Abe for the 4th pick(plus Rivers) shows how low Rivers' stock in the NFL is now

what about this means that it's picking up steam and not just someone repeating the rumor?

And BTW Abe for the 4th pick(plus Rivers) shows how low Rivers' stock in the NFL is now
Rivers is the 4th pick (2004 draft) that they are talking about - not plus Rivers - so its a straight up deal. I think it is picking up steam cause this is not simply a repeat but a report from someone who called the Herm to KC trade with accurate compensation about a week before it happened. The guy earned some credibility in my book after that.

The trade would be Rivers for Abraham straight up, no picks exchanged.

The Jets should trade their 2nd round pick for Matt Schaub and then trade down from the #4 pick and stockpile other picks. Franchise Abe and work out a long term contract or trade him before the draft for 1st round pick and lower round pick. Then they can go on BAP and have a potenial dominant draft. That's what i would if i was running the Jets.

DaTruth

From a draft perspective, it would mean that there would be one less team in the top 5 that needs a QB. Could mean that Vince or Cutler would begin to slide in the draft...

Why dump him? He's sure to restructure instead. It's not like Penny's not talented. When healthy, he's a proven winner who can win in the playoffs. Rivers is a prospect who hasn't proven anything except that the's got good character (by keeping his mouth shut and being a team player). You fix your cap problem by trading for Rivers, whose base salaries are low, and whose bonus SD absorbs on their cap. You slash about $6 million from your cap by trading Abraham. You get another $11 million back by cutting Ty Law. You cut Jason Fabini and renegotiate with Kevin Mawae, Curtis Martin, and Chad Pennington, and you should easily have enough cap room to sign your rookies, maybe one impact FA, and a couple of spare parts. Then, you draft Da Brick, or possible trade down a few spots and go DE.

:lmao: Sorry, I don't know what else to say...

Can someone explain what the Chargers would do with Abraham? Pay 9mil for an OLB?

Just makes no sense to me.
The Chargers extended Foley's contract through 2009 and have a good young backup OLB in Shaun Phillips. Makes no sense for the Chargers.

Abe is one of the best young DL in the game - how is he not worth a completely unproven player in the NFL?

On talent - SD is getting the better end of the deal right now - Jets gambling on the future.

If the Chargers don't at least get a 2nd rounder for the "opportunity" to pay just shy of 10 million bucks to a LB (albeit a very very good one), I'd have to say they got stiffed, yeah? I can see them doing the deal if it's the best they could find, and I could actually see them trying to do right by Rivers and try and get him into a starting gig, but hot young QB prospects aren't supposed to come cheap.

What's the Abe is a LB? Abe is a defensive end. Perhaps a tweener in a 34, but he's held up as a full-time DE in the 43, and he's put up impressive sack totals. There isn't a defense in the league he wouldn't start for.

:need a foot in mouth icon: :bag:

What's the Abe is a LB? Abe is a defensive end. Perhaps a tweener in a 34, but he's held up as a full-time DE in the 43, and he's put up impressive sack totals. There isn't a defense in the league he wouldn't start for.
I don't doubt that he could play 3-4 OLB, but the Chargers just don't need him and especially not his salary. They already have two solid guys in Steve Foley and Shaun Phillips who are under decent contracts. While Abraham is a great player, he doesn't fit a need for the Chargers and would cost them too much when they have a secondary that they need to improve.

I agree! Has Rivers value really dropped so low that all they can get for him is DE that has spent significant portions of his watching games from the sidelines because he was hurt and is going to cost them big bucks? Sorry, if I'm SD I just keep Rivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
San Diego's starter is coming off a fairly big injury. I don't see them trading a potential franchise quarterback - and taking the salary cap hit that will come from that - for an injury prone DE/LB who's looking for a big money deal.

Users who are viewing this thread