What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rookie DE/LB Team/Scheme/Position Summary (1 Viewer)

Tick

Footballguy
Mario Williams HOU 4-3 DE

Tamba Hali KCC 4-3 DE

Matthias Kiwanuka NYG 4-3 DE

Darryl Tapp SEA 4-3 DE

Frostee Rucker CIN 4-3 DE

AJ Hawk GBP 4-3 ?WLB/SLB?

Ernie Sims C2 WLB

Chad Greenway C2 WLB

Demeco Ryans HOU 4-3 ?WLB/SLB?

Rocky McIntosh WAS 4-3 WLB

Thomas Howard OAK 4-3 SLB

Clint Ingram JAC 4-3 ???

James Anderson CAR 4-3 SLB?

Darnell Bing OAK 4-3 ?WLB/SLB?

Chris Gocong PHI 4-3 ?WLB/SLB/DE?

Gerris Wilkinson NYG 4-3 WLB

D'Qwell Jackson CLE 3-4 ILB

Abdul Hodge GBP 4-3 MLB

Anthony Schlegel NYJ 3-4 ILB

Freddie Keiaho IND 4-3 ?WLB/MLB?

Kamerion Wimbley CLE 3-4 ?OLB/ILB?

Manny Lawson SFO 3-4 OLB

Bobby Carpenter DAL 3-4 OLB

Jason Hatcher DAL 3-4 DE

Jon Alston STL 4-3 SS

Set me straight where you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I note even though I figure he a bit away is the Darnell Bing is going to play OLB with the Raiders.

Houston has not given Ryans a position so leave that question mark there for the time being.

Schlegel will be an ILB in the Jets 3-4

Philly is talking about transitioning Gocong to OLB.

Alston is definitely going to start at safety.

Wimbley (according to Savage) may be tried inside as well.

Everything else looks UTD for now.

Thanks TICK

Unless I'm missing some material, Thomas Howard could very well become the starting SLB, right?? Were their comments to the contrary??

Unless I'm missing some material, Thomas Howard could very well become the starting SLB, right?? Were their comments to the contrary??
Yep, missed that one. That's been our consensus.

I saw this mentioned in the other thread, but in the Savage interview that I saw, I did not get this impression at all. In fact just the opposite, especially toward the end of his comments when he was talking about OLB and edge rushing. I also saw a Crennel interview today and again signs seem to point toward OLB. He was talking about being able to learn under Willie and that they would be able to have someone opposite Willie. Just my personnel observations.

I saw this mentioned in the other thread, but in the Savage interview that I saw, I did not get this impression at all. In fact just the opposite, especially toward the end of his comments when he was talking about OLB and edge rushing. I also saw a Crennel interview today and again signs seem to point toward OLB. He was talking about being able to learn under Willie and that they would be able to have someone opposite Willie. Just my personnel observations.
Agreed.The Browns message boards seem to be set on A Davis and D Jackson as the two ILB's. Wimbley is being referenced as McGinest's heir apparent at OLB.

Also, is it all but confirmed Michael Huff will play SS for the Raiders?? If so, this has huge FF implications.

A 4.3 guy with his tackling abillity is an interesting nugget.

Giants | Wilkinson to play weakside LB

Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:03:25 -0700

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said rookie LB Gerris Wilkinson will play at the weak-side linebacker position. "We will probably start him out weak but know that he can play on both sides," said Coughlin. Wilkinson will likely battle LBs Carlos Emmons and Brandon Short at the position.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't see Wimbley inside either and the KFFL note didn't have a citation. I figured that it may have been taken out of context but couldn't find anything other than the second not I posted to refute it.And, yes, somebody has posted that Art Shell said Huff would play alongside Schweigert. Reads like SS to me.

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said rookie LB Gerris Wilkinson will play at the weak-side linebacker position. "We will probably start him out weak but know that he can play on both sides," said Coughlin. Wilkinson will likely battle LBs Carlos Emmons and Brandon Short at the position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is interesting. From the profile I get good instincts with limited athleticism. Not what you'd expect from an OLB prospect.

Abdul Hodge could also play SLB. Like 99% of NFL teams, the Packers want to get their three best LB's on the field at the same time.

link:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=419835

On a side note, Nick Barnett owners should discount the small possibility that Barnett could become a SLB. He's a former college safety who would have no problem covering TE's. Unfortunately for Barnett, he gets caught-up in the action and would have a difficult time on the strong-side.

The following would be a major (albeit, inexperienced) upgrade for the Pack D...

WLB: Hawk

MLB: Hodge

SLB: Barnett

Abdul Hodge could also play SLB.  Like 99% of NFL teams, the Packers want to get their three best LB's on the field at the same time.

link:

On a side note, Nick Barnett owners should discount the small possibility that Barnett could become a SLB.  He's a former college safety who would have no problem covering TE's.  Unfortunately for Barnett, he gets caught-up in the action and would have a difficult time on the strong-side.

The following would be a major (albeit, inexperienced) upgrade for the Pack D...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My personal take is that having Barnett on the strong-side to "cover TE's" is pointless. This is not the AFC West. They play in the NFC North. None of those TE's send a shiver up a DC's spine. The biggest threat in the division is Pollard, but you do not need a speedy guy like Barnett to cover him. If Hodge does earn his way into the starting 3 vs. being primarily for depth, he could very well play a 2-down run oriented SLB with Hawk and Barnett in the nickle. But, just my opinion.

Abdul Hodge could also play SLB.  Like 99% of NFL teams, the Packers want to get their three best LB's on the field at the same time.

link:

On a side note, Nick Barnett owners should discount the small possibility that Barnett could become a SLB.  He's a former college safety who would have no problem covering TE's.  Unfortunately for Barnett, he gets caught-up in the action and would have a difficult time on the strong-side.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My personal take is that having Barnett on the strong-side to "cover TE's" is pointless. This is not the AFC West. They play in the NFC North. None of those TE's send a shiver up a DC's spine. The biggest threat in the division is Pollard, but you do not need a speedy guy like Barnett to cover him. If Hodge does earn his way into the starting 3 vs. being primarily for depth, he could very well play a 2-down run oriented SLB with Hawk and Barnett in the nickle. But, just my opinion.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TME, good call on the lack of TE talent in the Packs division. Never looked at it from that angle. The only threats at TE on GB's schedule is the following...Week 4 ~ LJ Smith (PHI)

Week 7 ~ McMichael (MIA)

Week 11 ~ Watson (NE)

Week 12 ~ Stevens (SEA)

Week 14 ~ Davis (SF)

didn't barnett play SLB in his final 2 seasons at Oregon and when he was drafted I thought that they were initially going to use him at SLB before deciding on him at MLB :shrug:

didn't barnett play SLB in his final 2 seasons at Oregon and when he was drafted I  thought that they were initially going to use him at SLB before deciding on him at MLB :shrug:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're right. He played safety only his freshman year. He then started all but five games as the team's SLB. Good catch, Keg.link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=6875

Notes: High school hurdler and weightlifter. Enrolled as a linebacker in 1999 but moved to safety and played in every game, primarily on special teams. Shifted to outside linebacker in 2000, played in every game and started five games at the "Will" LB spot. Started every game at "Sam" LB position in '01. Had 44 tackles, three tackles for loss and broke up one pass in 2000. Had 73-6 with two sacks, broke up four passes with one interception in '01. Started all 13 games in '02, making 121-201-6, two forced fumbles, seven passes broken up and one blocked kick. Had a strong Combine performance, with a 6.87 three-cone and 32 reps of 225. Also showed he was intent on playing linebacker by added considerable bulk since the end of the '02 season.

Link

A 2002 preseason candidate for the Butkus Award, given annually to the nation's top college linebacker, possesses outstanding speed and quickness, among the traits that attracted Green Bay's evaluators to him and eventually will land him as an every-down contributor on defense.
Link

Seigler, who earned freshman All-America honors in 2000 and then ranked fifth in the Pac-10 in tackles as a sophomore, sees a defense that will live up to Erickson’s expectations. OSU has one of the best defensive tackle tandems in the country in Dwan Edwards and Eric Manning, linebacker Nick Barnett is coming off two strong seasons, and practically the entire secondary returns.
I cant find anything that says he played SLB :(

didn't barnett play SLB in his final 2 seasons at Oregon and when he was drafted I  thought that they were initially going to use him at SLB before deciding on him at MLB :shrug:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're right. He played safety only his freshman year. He then started all but five games as the team's SLB. Good catch, Keg.link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=6875

Notes: High school hurdler and weightlifter. Enrolled as a linebacker in 1999 but moved to safety and played in every game, primarily on special teams. Shifted to outside linebacker in 2000, played in every game and started five games at the "Will" LB spot. Started every game at "Sam" LB position in '01. Had 44 tackles, three tackles for loss and broke up one pass in 2000. Had 73-6 with two sacks, broke up four passes with one interception in '01. Started all 13 games in '02, making 121-201-6, two forced fumbles, seven passes broken up and one blocked kick. Had a strong Combine performance, with a 6.87 three-cone and 32 reps of 225. Also showed he was intent on playing linebacker by added considerable bulk since the end of the '02 season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for the help cause i couldnt find anything that said SLB...i also cant take credit for that info as I read it at another board and it was posted by a GB homer i have a ton of respect for and he knows his stuff

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is interesting. From the profile I get good instincts with limited athleticism. Not what you'd expect from an OLB prospect.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The profiles I've read are just the opposite...Here is one profile

link

If you can find somebody on the Vikings roster that can be good MLB, please tell me. :(

You may also want to inform the Vikings as well. :loco:

If you can find somebody on the Vikings roster that can be good MLB, please tell me.  :(

You may also want to inform the Vikings as well.  :loco:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get a chance to watch many Viking games. Is EJ Henderson THAT bad?? It seems like he answered the challenge last year when Cowart took over at Mike and Henderson was moved to WLB. I know he didn't light-up the stat line, but he did keep Donatarius Thomas on the bench.Any Vike homers care to chime in??

If you can find somebody on the Vikings roster that can be good MLB, please tell me.  :(

You may also want to inform the Vikings as well.  :loco:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get a chance to watch many Viking games. Is EJ Henderson THAT bad?? It seems like he answered the challenge last year when Cowart took over at Mike and Henderson was moved to WLB. I know he didn't light-up the stat line, but he did keep Donatarius Thomas on the bench.Any Vike homers care to chime in??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seem to recall him stepping up toward the end of the season, but can't say that it was necessarily reflected in the stats. I think the whole defense also played better team defense the last half of the season as well though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lavar's going to play SLB?

Terna Nande OLB / Tennessee

By Nolan Nawrocki

Pro Football Weekly

Tennessee landed one of the draft's most incredible physical specimens in Miami (Ohio) LB Terna Nande. He is a 500-pound bench-presser at 232 pounds with sub-4.6 speed. With some good coaching, which he will get plenty of from Tennessee LB coach Dave McGinnis, Nande could develop into a solid player.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lavar's going to play SLB?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This can't be right.

Vikings | Blue could switch to linebacker

Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:18:52 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Minnesota Vikings may move rookie S Greg Blue, a big hitter with little range, to outside linebacker.

No real surprise here

The last 2 Georgia safety's drafted haven't fared very well so far in the defensive backfield.

Sean Jones / 2004

Thomas Davis / 2005

Is there anyway someone can do a new ranking of the IDP's based on the situation they have landed in and their likelihood of starting? I'm sure some of the guys that were ranked higher have now lost ground to lower ranked players due to their projected positions and chance of starting immediately.

Is there anyway someone can do a new ranking of the IDP's based on the situation they have landed in and their likelihood of starting?  I'm sure some of the guys that were ranked higher have now lost ground to lower ranked players due to their projected positions and chance of starting immediately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bloom is planning a huge draft update, including a revamped Top 100 to include defensive players. We are also working toward a brief preview of every defensive player drafted which will hopefully be posted in the next 48 hours.And we hope to roll out the first set of IDP rankings by early next week, with full team and player previews shortly thereafter.

Coaching interviews are still rolling in and rookie minicamps will be underway soon, but my rough rankings at each position (which has been changing hourly it seems :P ) looks a little something like this.

DL

1 Mario Williams

:X

2 Tamba Hali

3 Darryl Tapp

4 Mark Anderson

5 Ray Edwards

6 Mathias Kiwanuka

7 James Wyche

8 Stanley McClover

9 Frostee Rucker

10 Elvis Dumervil

LB

1a AJ Hawk

1b Chad Greenway

1c Ernie Sims

4 DeMeco Ryans

5 Rocky McIntosh

6 D'Qwell Jackson

7 Abdul Hodge

8 Gerris Wilkinson

9 Omar Gaither

10 Bobby Carpenter

DB

1 Michael Huff

2 Donte Whitner

3 Jason Allen

4 Daniel Bullocks

5 Ko Simpson

6 Dawan Landry

7 Antonio Cromartie

8 Jimmy Williams

9 Anthony Smith

10 Roman Harper

Again, very rough, particulary after the top five at each position. I'm sure there'll be plenty of disagreement this early in the process and some who think the above is plain :loco: , particularly at LB.

I think the DE prospects were easily the biggest losers as only Hali ended up in a decent spot. The LB rankings will be better fleshed out once we're certain of their future role. The safeties are pretty interchangeable after Huff. And it remains to be seen if any corners will start and deserve a modest bump via the rookie corner rule.

(Rotoworld) The Panthers hope third-round pick James Anderson will challenge for their weak-side linebacker position.

Impact: He'll join the mix with Na'il Diggs and Keith Adams. Anderson ran a 4.47 forty at the Combine and is said to have sideline-to-sideline range.

(KFFL) The Green Bay Packers announced LB Robert Thomas has been released by the team.

They didn't even wait for camp to start.

(Rotoworld) The Panthers hope third-round pick James Anderson will challenge for their weak-side linebacker position.

Impact: He'll join the mix with Na'il Diggs and Keith Adams. Anderson ran a 4.47 forty at the Combine and is said to have sideline-to-sideline range.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:confused: From what I've read on Anderson he sounds more like a SLB. Has speed, good cover skills, poor instincts, often over pursues and not really a sure tackler.

I note even though I figure he a bit away is the Darnell Bing is going to play OLB with the Raiders.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where did you hear this? He of course played safety in college.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A couple of FBGs heard Art Shell mention it during an interview with one of the networks.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Raiders annouced it on the day he was drafted too. Not sure if they read the card that he was a LB'er, if not...it was close behind that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:confused: From what I've read on Anderson he sounds more like a SLB. Has speed, good cover skills, poor instincts, often over pursues and not really a sure tackler.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was from March 30:Coach John Fox made it clear Wednesday that he expects Thomas Davis to start at weak-side linebacker this season.

Impact: The team may still address the linebacker position in the draft, but probably on the strong-side. Davis is likely to be undervalued in IDP leagues because of his quiet rookie season.

I can't see them waivering to much from that if he's that confident.

Where is Manny Lawson LB 49ers in this list? I think he will a top LB. Right behind Sims without the injury risk Sims has.

Is there anyway someone can do a new ranking of the IDP's based on the situation they have landed in and their likelihood of starting?  I'm sure some of the guys that were ranked higher have now lost ground to lower ranked players due to their projected positions and chance of starting immediately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DL1 Mario Williams

:X

2 Tamba Hali

3 Darryl Tapp

4 Mark Anderson

5 Ray Edwards

6 Mathias Kiwanuka

7 James Wyche

8 Stanley McClover

9 Frostee Rucker

10 Elvis Dumervil

LB

1a AJ Hawk

1b Chad Greenway

1c Ernie Sims

4 DeMeco Ryans

5 Rocky McIntosh

6 D'Qwell Jackson

7 Abdul Hodge

8 Gerris Wilkinson

9 Omar Gaither

10 Bobby Carpenter

DB

1 Michael Huff

2 Donte Whitner

3 Jason Allen

4 Daniel Bullocks

5 Ko Simpson

6 Dawan Landry

7 Antonio Cromartie

8 Jimmy Williams

9 Anthony Smith

10 Roman Harper

Again, very rough, particulary after the top five at each position. I'm sure there'll be plenty of disagreement this early in the process and some who think the above is plain :loco: , particularly at LB.

I think the DE prospects were easily the biggest losers as only Hali ended up in a decent spot. The LB rankings will be better fleshed out once we're certain of their future role. The safeties are pretty interchangeable after Huff. And it remains to be seen if any corners will start and deserve a modest bump via the rookie corner rule.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where is Manny Lawson LB 49ers in this list?  I think he will a top LB.  Right behind Sims without the injury risk Sims has.
LB1a AJ Hawk1b Chad Greenway1c Ernie Sims4 DeMeco Ryans5 Rocky McIntosh6 D'Qwell Jackson7 Abdul Hodge8 Gerris Wilkinson9 Omar Gaither 10 Bobby Carpenter
Yeah, I'm not sure what to do with the tweeners in this draft.Generally speaking, unless I'm convinced that a strong side or rush LB will produce solid tackle numbers I favor rookies who are likely to be more consistent and not as dependent on big plays to score points. For example, last season, Merriman and Ware finished in the same tier as Leroy Hill in the FBG scoring system, well behind guys like Thurman, Tatupu, Morrison.You're right, from an absolute value standpoint, Lawson should still be on this list today. But I'd still put guys like Ryans and McIntosh and Jackson easily ahead of him if they are confirmed starters. I just don't see Lawson having any meaningful impact against the run which will kill his value as a LB.And I think Carpenter will be a better overall fantasy (not necessarily NFL) player than Lawson. He's a better all around run/coverage player and he'll get opportunities to rush the passer as well. I put guys like Hodge, Gaither, and Wilkinson in the top ten because they should outscore a tweener like Lawson if they start. As we move closer to the season and depth charts sort themselves out, Lawson may move ahead of a number of these guys just based on opportunity.It is extremely rare that I'll draft a player like Merriman, Ware, or Lawson for my rosters in leagues with a scoring system similar to the one we use to rank players at FBG. Too inconsistent and too often finish in the 40-50 overall range even in their better seasons. That bias will show in my rankings.(Edited for readability)

I think Lawson could be a real sleeper..... Peterson (when he was healthy) put up some big numbers in that defense, in that position. He'll most likely be the rush LB (how could he not with that speed?) and I think he's being under rated as a run defender some here. He's good at using his hands against the cut block, while he may not be great aginst a power blocking scheme when they run right at him.

If he can accept his role (wanted to be a 4-3 DE), with his speed, he could also get some INT's and a fair number of passes defensed. I like him late 2nd-early 3rd round in a 16 team league. He may slide further than that in a league that has no 49er homers.

I think Lawson could be a real sleeper..... Peterson (when he was healthy) put up some big numbers in that defense, in that position. He'll most likely be the rush LB (how could he not with that speed?) and I think he's being under rated as a run defender some here. He's good at using his hands against the cut block, while he may not be great aginst a power blocking scheme when they run right at him. 

If he can accept his role (wanted to be a 4-3 DE), with his speed, he could also get some INT's and a fair number of passes defensed. I like him late 2nd-early 3rd round in a 16 team league. He may slide further than that in a league that has no 49er homers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to be pretty open minded in my first year of putting my rankings to the test, but I'm planning on sticking to my biases for now. To be more than a replacement level player in our scoring system a LB has to make a significant number of tackles or make up for it with a bunch of big plays.I can't see projecting Manny Lawson for any more than 50-55 solo tackles in the long term. He's never been a 3-4 LB and has little experience in coverage, he's never been particularly impressive in run support as an edge rusher, and the competition will be much better than anything he's seen before. In short, I don't see him as becoming the next Shawne Merriman.

He'll have to prove to me that he can make 65 solo tackles and get double digit sacks as Merriman has to be anything more than depth on a fantasy roster in the scoring system we use. In leagues that weight sacks more than 3-1 over tackles, it's clearly a different story.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like Lawson better than Hodge at this point. Hodge will prolly be nothing more than a 2 down backer, at least in the early stages of his career. Also... if Hawk should end up in the middle, he will be a tackling monster...wont be much left for Hodge.From a dynasty perspective, I have 'em like this:

1. AJ Hawk

2. Chad Greenway

3. DeMeco Ryans

4. D'Quell Jackson

5. Ernie Sims (concussions scare me, actually not sure if I would draft him over McIntosh or Carpenter)

6. Roger McIntosh

7. Bobby Carpenter (Could play inside in a 3-4 and sam in 4-3)

8. Thomas Howard

9. Manny Lawson

10.Stephen Tulloch (prolly only 2 down backer, but should definatley play mike)

Tamba Hali KCC 4-3 DE

Darryl Tapp SEA 4-3 DE

Ernie Sims C2 WLB

Chad Greenway C2 WLB

Clint Ingram JAC 4-3 ???

Abdul Hodge GBP 4-3 MLB

Manny Lawson SFO 3-4 OLB

Jason Hatcher DAL 3-4 DE

Jon Alston STL 4-3 SS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hawk should end up at WLB...Hodge is a pure inside plugger despite his size and you can't take a player with the big-play flair of Hawk and sit him across from the TE...Barnett's questionable instincts would be masked better on the strong side.Demeco Ryans is a lot like Greenwood so this one is a toss-up for the WLB. Ryans plays low but Greenwood can cover better at this point...this one will be interesting!

Thomas howard may well end up on the weak side b/c he has to be able to roam to be effective (use his speed). I see a line-up of MLB-Morrison, SLB-Clark (with Bing waiting in the wings), WLB-Howard

Gocong will play SLB after learning the ropes in the nickle as a rookie...a lot like Pollack last year in that he could fill a rush role on 3rd downs and is smooth enough to stay in coverage...he may be a SLB, but a 3-down SLB is as good as a 2-down MLB.

Is Alston moving to SS? Haven't read that but it would be a mistake. This guys likes to play coming forward, he's an aggressive striker! Giving him deep-half responsibilities would really take away from his aggressiveness.

DO NOT LEAVE STEPHEN TULLOCH OFF THE LIST! Donfue sleeper!

Tamba Hali KCC 4-3 DE

Darryl Tapp SEA 4-3 DE

Ernie Sims C2 WLB

Chad Greenway C2 WLB

Clint Ingram JAC 4-3 ???

Abdul Hodge GBP 4-3 MLB

Manny Lawson SFO 3-4 OLB

Jason Hatcher DAL 3-4 DE

Jon Alston STL 4-3 SS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hawk should end up at WLB...Hodge is a pure inside plugger despite his size and you can't take a player with the big-play flair of Hawk and sit him across from the TE...Barnett's questionable instincts would be masked better on the strong side.Demeco Ryans is a lot like Greenwood so this one is a toss-up for the WLB. Ryans plays low but Greenwood can cover better at this point...this one will be interesting!

Thomas howard may well end up on the weak side b/c he has to be able to roam to be effective (use his speed). I see a line-up of MLB-Morrison, SLB-Clark (with Bing waiting in the wings), WLB-Howard

Gocong will play SLB after learning the ropes in the nickle as a rookie...a lot like Pollack last year in that he could fill a rush role on 3rd downs and is smooth enough to stay in coverage...he may be a SLB, but a 3-down SLB is as good as a 2-down MLB.

Is Alston moving to SS? Haven't read that but it would be a mistake. This guys likes to play coming forward, he's an aggressive striker! Giving him deep-half responsibilities would really take away from his aggressiveness.

DO NOT LEAVE STEPHEN TULLOCH OFF THE LIST! Donfue sleeper!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AlstonYep,, read it somewhere he is going to play S...

I'll try and find link

I'll throw my hat into the ring. Here are my dynasty LB rankings...

1. AJ Hawk (GB) - Next.

2. Earnie Sims (DET) - Where Sims has questions about his concussions, Greenway has questions about athletic talent and ability to shed tackles. The latter scares me more than the former. Sims was born to play the weakside in the Cover-2, while Greenway could find himself into a SLB role in the future b.c of his excellent pass-coverage skillz.

3. Chad Greenway (MIN) - Neck and neck with Sims. Flip a coin. I chose Sims b.c of my opinion above.

4. D'Qwell Jackson (CLE) - I really really like where this guy landed. He should have very little competition for a starting gig, plus he's in a tackle-happy 3-4 D on a team with a poor offense. Fantasy football Heaven here, folks.

5. DeMeco Ryans (HOU) - With Wong recovering from knee surgery, I fear Ryans will begin his NFL journey as a SLB (with Greenwood at WLB and Cowart at MLB). This will kill his value. However, Cowart will not play much longer and Wong should recover in time. Ryans could be an excellent "buy" around mid-season when his current owner grows tired of his 4-tackle afternoons/evenings.

6. Rocky McIntosh (WAS) - I think WAS panicked and pick Rocky early. However, this was perfect for McIntosh's value. Not many (...if any) IDPers would have guessed Rocky could have cracked a Top-6 dynasty ranking.

7. Manny Lawson (SF) - I know, I know...the dreaded OLB position in the 3-4. If you read older posts, I am probably the biggest advocate against OLB's in the 3-4. I'm making a minor exception for a guy who can long-jump 25' and ran on his college track team's 4 x 100. Manny is a freak. Lawson's upside is probably Jerry Porter at this stage (...and his downside is the other 15-18 OLB's stuck in a 3-4 D). I like Manny b.c he could become a 4-3 DE or LB in the future if SF scraps their 3-4 D.

8. Bobby Carpenter (DAL) - I've also hear rumblings of Carpenter as an ILB for the Boyz. I would normally say this doesn't make sense, but Ayodele is supposedly manning one spot and he was a former DE in college. Crazier things have happened. If Carpenters somehow lands a starting ILB gig, he would immediately jump into D'Qwell territory and could very well leap-frog him.

9. Thomas Howard (OAK) - Amazing athlete most likely starting his career as a SLB. There's still an outside change Danny Clark could become the SLB and Howard could man the weakside, but nothing is in stone yet. If Howard were to become a WLB for the Raiders, he would jump ahead of Lawson in my rankings.

10. Abdul Hodge (GB) - I think he is undoubtedly the #3 LB on the Pack's roster as of now. He was a 3rd-round acquisition with late-1st / early-2nd talent. I still think Hodge at MLB, Hawk at WLB and Bennett at SLB would be a nice lineup, it may be a year away.

5. DeMeco Ryans (HOU) - With Wong recovering from knee surgery, I fear Ryans will begin his NFL journey as a SLB (with Greenwood at WLB and Cowart at MLB). This will kill his value. However, Cowart will not play much longer and Wong should recover in time. Ryans could be an excellent "buy" around mid-season when his current owner grows tired of his 4-tackle afternoons/evenings.

You may be right, but... I figure Ryans at will, with a possible future at mike... remember... Greenwood played sam in Miami, moved to will when Seau was injured.

Users who are viewing this thread