What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roy Williams offically traded to Dallas (1 Viewer)

harryhood

Footballguy
(KFFL) Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Dallas Cowboys have offered what is believed to be at least a first-round draft choice to the Detroit Lions for WR Roy Williams.

I'm fairly certain Dallas wouldn't dream of offering a #1 for Roy Williams.

If anything that's Detroit fabricating to try and drive up the price on a guy that only one team might want to deal for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Schefter of NFL Network (posted by ProFootballTalk.com) stated that the Cowboys have made an offer for receiver Roy Williams.

Our View: The Cowboys reportedly didn't offer enough, as the Lions' said they are looking for a first-round pick in exchange for Williams. Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones previously stated that he was not going to pursue Williams. The Lions continue to work the phones for a suitor for Williams.

If this offer is real it would be 'Millenesque' for Detroit to not accept it.
Agreed. Pure panic move by the Cowboys. The Lions would fools to turn this down if it's true.
Come on. Even with Millen gone, the Lions are still likely to play the fool. They want more then a 1st for a player they likely will let walk away next year -- only to get a possible 3rd or 4th rounder in 2010 as supplemental compensation. I know that Detroit can tag ROY, but given (1) the other needs on this team, (2) ROY's desire not to be there, and (3) and the presence of CJ as the #1 WR, I do not think that would be prudent. Detroit does not need to pay for two #1 WRs when they need so much more.

Heck, even if Dallas offfers a 1st I think it favors Detroit. If Detroit can get Crayton and a 1st, they have done well. Maybe Dallas asks for a CB and ROY.

Agreed. Pure panic move by the Cowboys. The Lions would fools to turn this down if it's true.
Come on. Even with Millen gone, the Lions are still likely to play the fool. They want more then a 1st for a player they likely will let walk away next year -- only to get a possible 3rd or 4th rounder in 2010 as supplemental compensation. I know that Detroit can tag ROY, but given (1) the other needs on this team, (2) ROY's desire not to be there, and (3) and the presence of CJ as the #1 WR, I do not think that would be prudent. Detroit does not need to pay for two #1 WRs when they need so much more.

Heck, even if Dallas offfers a 1st I think it favors Detroit. If Detroit can get Crayton and a 1st, they have done well. Maybe Dallas asks for a CB and ROY.
They won't let him walk next year, they will franchise him and continue to field trade offers.

After reading this thread.... I can see maybe a Roy / Bodden package in the works... what do you guys think? Bodden hasnt worked in DET and Roy is on his way out. I dunno..just randomly thinking of scenarios...

They won't let him walk next year, they will franchise him and continue to field trade offers.
I realize that tagging the player is typically the smart move, but it ties up cap space. And, it is pretty transparent since most teams should realize that the Lions really do not want ROY to be on the team next year. Plus, I doubt that they would get a 1st rounder next year for ROY - since a team would have to pay Roy and give up the pick.If they tag him, I would sign the tender asap if I were ROY.

I guess this is why I'm not an NFL executive. A 1st for a guy who doesn't want to be there? You're REBUILDING. A 1st is gold for you. Promote a WR who's actually going to stay with the team and give them reps in games. See what Orlovsky and Stanton can do. Work Kevin Smith and Rudi to see who sticks. You have plenty of games to get your young guys prepared for next year.

Why wouldn't they take a 1st, if that's what was actually offered? Is there a new 0-round they could get next year? Take the 1st already.

After reading this thread.... I can see maybe a Roy / Bodden package in the works... what do you guys think? Bodden hasnt worked in DET and Roy is on his way out. I dunno..just randomly thinking of scenarios...
Thinking the same thing.

Any belief that ROY helps get more balls thrown in TO's direction?

if roy is traded to dallas (and that's a BIG IF), 1 or more of the following will need to happen for TO to see more targets:increase in passing attempts (not likely)witten's targets decrease (not likely)roy sees less targets than crayton/austin (not likely)so to answer your question, no, it would not help TO... IMO, TO would see less targets

if roy is traded to dallas (and that's a BIG IF), 1 or more of the following will need to happen for TO to see more targets:increase in passing attempts (not likely)witten's targets decrease (not likely)roy sees less targets than crayton/austin (not likely)so to answer your question, no, it would not help TO... IMO, TO would see less targets
But possibly more receptions. (Less double coverages)

I like ROY. I like him as a player. I would like to see him excel elsewhere, as I don't see him getting a chance to shine in

Detroit. I would have loved to see him work out there, but the Lions need to completely restart this offseason, and unloading

the few tradeable players you have is a good step towards doing so. A 1st for ROY? That's asking a lot. I would love to see

us get that for him, but I don't see Dallas budging for someone they can probably try and get this offseason (unless he's franchise

tagged). Maybe a 2nd in 2009 and a 2nd or 3rd in 2010?

But possibly more receptions. (Less double coverages)
:goodposting: some of you guys are rediculous.

It's near a sure thing according to ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3643295

Edit so people don't think I'm ######ed: It says something entirely different on the front page and what that link leads to. On the front page it says: Source: Cowboys near deal for Lions WR Williams. Just throwing that out there. Thank you.

One thing to maybe keep in mind is that NFL teams don't necessarily want to be at the top of the draft as much as they used to be. They don't want to end up committing tons of money to an unproven rookie, so if the Lions are looking to win as many games as they can from here on out and possibly avoid the top the draft (as unlikely as that might be), then that might be why they aren't just giving Roy away despite knowing that he won't be with the team long-term. Just a thought.

As an Eagles fan: :lmao:

As a Roy owner in FF :yes:

As a general observer :goodposting: Why would Dallas give up so much for another "me first" WR? THe Cowboys are turning into the Redskins of a few years ago...just go out and get every big name they can, only to see it bite them in the ###

yessssssss, so excited about this trade haha i dunno why...maybe cuz i traded lance moore for roy 2 weeks ago!

Users who are viewing this thread