What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumor: Jets and Alan Faneca already reached agreement. (1 Viewer)

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
The Santa Rosa Press Democrat states that its only a rumor at this point, but they also state that the team and G Alan Faneca have reached an agreement about his free agency status. Since nothing can be official as of yet, it would seem likely that other teams could still submit offers that might entice Faneca this weekend.

Alan Faneca-G-Steelers Feb. 27 - 1:41 pm et "Word around the league" is that the Jets have already negotiated a deal for free agent Alan Faneca that would guarantee him about $20 million.The Santa Rosa Press Democrat makes it clear that this is a rumor, but the Jets are known to be after Faneca. The Jets are still trying to replace LG Pete Kendall. They probably should've bucked up and paid him last summer. Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat Related: Jets

The last 2 big free agents the Jets signed away from Pitt did not work out so well. Maybe the 3rd time is the charm.

Another high compensation pick for the Steelers right? 20 million in guarantees is a ton for Faneca, but best of luck big guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another high compensation pick for the Steelers right? 20 million in guarantees is a ton for Faneca, but best of luck big guy.
Probably a low third, which isn't too bad.
Yeah all comp picks are at the end of the round and the highest I remember seeing each year are in the third. I'd be pumped if it was and with 20 million in guarantees the rest of the deal could be large enough to put him in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Santa Rosa Press Democrat?!? That's a podunk place near Napa wine country, they probably only know of Pittsburg, California, how would they know what's happening on the other side of the country....

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat?!? That's a podunk place near Napa wine country, they probably only know of Pittsburg, California, how would they know what's happening on the other side of the country....
Santa Rosa isn't that small. It's about half the size of Pittsburgh.I believe the 49ers were after Faneca and that paper has pretty good connections with them.

Faneca has 2 good years left in him, if this is true, what a waste of money by the Jets.
Please - solid OG's can play well into their 30s and be productive - and did you see Adrian Clarke last year? If he plays on one leg it would be an upgrade.

Just one more example of how the tampering rules are a complete joke. They should just get rid of the tampering rules altogether if nobody is going to abide by them.

it would go a long way into improving the left side of the OL. Still need a RT badly

Santa Rosa isn't that small. It's about half the size of Pittsburgh.
Probably looks and smells a lot better too.

Bossman said:
Faneca has 2 good years left in him, if this is true, what a waste of money by the Jets.
:excited: We don't even know what the contract looks like. How can we know it's a waste of money?
... lets see $20 mil. GUARANTEED ... 2 more good years left?It doesn't matter how the contract is written. If this is the case, the Jets will be very thin elsewhere.
:o He's got more than two good years left and $20MM guaranteed for a lineman of his caliber isn't bad. We have no idea what the rest of the contract looks like. Hell, it could be 5 years $30MM for all we know.

Bossman said:
:unsure: We don't even know what the contract looks like. How can we know it's a waste of money?
... lets see $20 mil. GUARANTEED ... 2 more good years left?It doesn't matter how the contract is written. If this is the case, the Jets will be very thin elsewhere.
:thumbup: He's got more than two good years left and $20MM guaranteed for a lineman of his caliber isn't bad. We have no idea what the rest of the contract looks like. Hell, it could be 5 years $30MM for all we know.
I think two good years is a good guess. He's what, 32? He may stick around longer, but at this point he's getting into the pro-bowl on name recognition.

Bossman said:
:whoosh: We don't even know what the contract looks like. How can we know it's a waste of money?
:confused: He's got more than two good years left and $20MM guaranteed for a lineman of his caliber isn't bad. We have no idea what the rest of the contract looks like. Hell, it could be 5 years $30MM for all we know.
I think two good years is a good guess. He's what, 32? He may stick around longer, but at this point he's getting into the pro-bowl on name recognition.
He just turned 31 in December so I think he has a few years left. That isn't a bad price for a good OL and a serious need position. Now we finally get to see if D'Brick can cut it at LT - he no longer has the excuse of having to play LG as well.

I had a strong feeling the Jets would make a move for Faneca - hope the rumors are true.

Sure he might be getting a big contract and he's not that young, but it's a huge area of need for the Jets. Plus, they have a lot of cap space to use, and it's not exactly a bumper crop of free agents out there to spend elsewhere.

A great move for them IMO.

The price - if true - seems rather steep, but I still believe this is a good move for the Jets. It fills a dire need, plus the veteran Faneca might be able to mentor the the youngsters on that line the way Kendall did.

Ni

As a Steelers fan I will miss Faneca, good guy and a great lineman although he wasn't as dominant the past 2 seasons. Even still I would love to have him back for another season or two but not at that price.

As a Steelers fan I will miss Faneca, good guy and a great lineman although he wasn't as dominant the past 2 seasons. Even still I would love to have him back for another season or two but not at that price.
I watched a good amount of Steeler games and maybe Steeler fans are used to watching Faneca But, there were plays were this guy was like a bowling ball rolling down the field way past the line.... As a Jets fan I was Like :excited: That guy still has something and I can't remember seeing a Jet Offensive Lineman look like that in a while - Maybe Mawae on his best day.That's a lot of money but, in line with what Guards got last year. With the cap rising and the Jets way Under the cap, they could do a lot worse.Overall, I think the DRAFT is the way to get OL value... And I'll take this deal IF they still go out and draft at least one top 3 round OL and more...If they do this deal and then close up shop for the OL like they did last year and think Faneca is enough, I'll be extremely pissed...

can't complain about this. The jets need help at the position. If we're just comparing players, I'd prefer the younger Jacob Bell. But the veteran Faneca will have a better impact on ferguson and Mangold's development.

Now for the love of God find a RT and a developmental guard prospect in the draft.

What does this do for Thomas Jones' prospects in 2008?

I know all FF owners were down on him b/c a lack of TDs in 2008, but I thought he ran hard and did the best he could with the OL and QB situation.

What does this do for Thomas Jones' prospects in 2008?I know all FF owners were down on him b/c a lack of TDs in 2008, but I thought he ran hard and did the best he could with the OL and QB situation.
If true, i think he'll surprise. He didn't play badly, the O'line just got absolutely no push. Add in Faneca and a better RT, and i would not mind taking TJ at the 2/3 turn.

I watched a good amount of Steeler games and maybe Steeler fans are used to watching Faneca But, there were plays were this guy was like a bowling ball rolling down the field way past the line....
He has something left for sure but there were games where he was getting beat up pretty good too. Of course everyone has a bad game now and then but I never saw a game where Faneca was dominated physically until the 2006 season.He is still a good guard and I wish he were staying but not for 20 million guaranteed.

Users who are viewing this thread