What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets ink Faneca (1 Viewer)

midnightxxxx

Footballguy
The New York Jets and guard Alan Faneca have agreed in principle to a four-year, $32 million deal that includes roughly $23 million in guarantees, ESPN's Michael Smith reports. Faneca is expected to travel to New York this weekend when the deal will be finalized. The Jets are planning on playing Faneca at left guard.

Faneca

The departure of Faneca, a former LSU standout who had spent his entire 10-year career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, isn't much of a surprise. Although he was an unrestricted free agent, the seven-time Pro Bowler was clearly irked with the team heading into last season for its refusal to trade him or give him a contract extension he felt he was worth.

Guards such as Eric Steinbach, Derrick Dockery, Leonard Davis and Kris Dielman all signed new contracts last spring, either as free agents with new teams or extensions with their incumbent franchises, and all received deals worth about $7 million per year. Only Dielman, who was a Pro Bowl alternate last season, has ever appeared in a Pro Bowl game.

Faneca said last spring that the Steelers' only offer to him wouldn't have made him one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid guards. He made $4.375 million last season in the final year of a $25.6 million deal he signed in 2002, but that deal was renegotiated to help the Steelers get under the salary cap.

He said last spring he would like to be traded but was resigned with staying with Pittsburgh for a final season. He skipped the Steelers' organized team activities practices in May, but did show up on time for the team's training camp.

"I've been asking since February to trade me, to let me go," Faneca said. "I've done my piece. I've done my time. I've done everything I can for this organization. I've lived and breathed Steeler football for nine years and gave them everything I've had and helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly."

Faneca's criticism was virtually unprecedented for a Steelers player so accomplished -- only a handful of players in team history have made All-Pro more than he has.

The Steelers usually re-sign their key players and, thanks greatly to player-friendly owner Dan Rooney, have long been considered the NFL's model franchise for handling players.

That these barbed remarks came from Faneca, an accessible but almost never outspoken player, made his pointed comments all the more surprising. Faneca was worried that, if he sustained a career-ending injury, he would have no contract protection beyond 2007.

"To make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," he said.

In New York, Faneca will join a talented offensive line that includes left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold as the Jets try to boost an offense that ranked 26th in the NFL last year in yards per game (294.7) and 19th in rushing yards per game (106.3).

Information from ESPN's Michael Smith was used in this report. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

This should make that O-line a very good one. Faneca has a few more years in him and the guy is a beast. I think this is a great signing for them.

:bye: :towelwave:

I would've liked to see him leave the AFC, but atleast he isnt in the conference.

Fanny finally got his money. Best of luck to him in the future. He got paid.

/takes off non-homer analyst hat

:homer:

YES!!!

:towelwave: :bye: :cool: :cool: :clap: :clap: :clap: :pickle: :pickle: :lmao: :cry: :cry: :excited: :excited:

/puts hat back on

Should help an OLine in severe need of it last season. Good signing.

OP is jumping the gun, Faneca hasn't signed anything yet.

'Agreed in principle' != 'ink'

Watching Faneca regress the last 2 years, I don't think he's worth his contract. The one thing he had going for him was the media saying how great he was. He's still a good run blocker, but has serious issues in pass pro. I'm pretty sure other Steeler fans who witnessed Faneca's last two seasons would agree.

Joey Porter Part 2.
If Faneca doesn't perform as advertised, I'll eat my hat. I hate the Steelers, but even I have to admit was a hell of a guard.
He is not a pro bowl calibur G anymore. I wish he would have come back to the Steelers, but not at that money.
:confused: Wasn't FWP the leagues lead rusher until he got hurt last year?? IIRCI know the TD's weren't there, but he did a hell of a job opening holes in the run game....which the Jets desperately need. With Mangold and D'brick on either side of him, I'd say this is quite a good thing, and look for plenty of holes on the left side for T.J., who can use all the help he can get after last year.

"Sour Grapes"???? :football:

Alan Faneca's agent denies that his client as signed with the Jets.

"False report. It's a false report," agent Rick Smith said.

Alan Faneca's agent denies that his client as signed with the Jets."False report. It's a false report," agent Rick Smith said.
Link?
Alan Faneca-G-Jets Feb. 29 - 6:40 pm et Alan Faneca's agent denies that his client as signed with the Jets."False report. It's a false report," agent Rick Smith said. ESPN's website reported the two sides agreed to a four-year, $32 million contract. It appears Faneca is still weighing offers. He could easily wind up with the Jets, but there's no deal yet.Source: Newsday Per ROTOWORLD :football:

Joey Porter Part 2.
If Faneca doesn't perform as advertised, I'll eat my hat. I hate the Steelers, but even I have to admit IS a hell of a guard.
He is not a pro bowl calibur G anymore. I wish he would have come back to the Steelers, but not at that money.
:confused: Wasn't FWP the leagues lead rusher until he got hurt last year?? IIRCI know the TD's weren't there, but he did a hell of a job opening holes in the run game....which the Jets desperately need. With Mangold and D'brick on either side of him, I'd say this is quite a good thing, and look for plenty of holes on the left side for T.J., who can use all the help he can get after last year.

"Sour Grapes"???? :football:
His pass blocking is great too, his teammates make him look worse than he is.

At this stage in his career, Faneca is about a league average guard.

He is not the mauler in the run game he once was, although he can still pull with the best of them.

His pass pro is well below average as mentioned above. One of the tops in the league in sacks allowed.

He got a contract based largely on the reputation of a player who hasn't been around for 2 years.

As a Steeler fan, I wish none of the above was true. I would have loved to have the Faneca of old last season. Unfortunately, Steeler fans and apparently the FO recognized this wasn't the case a while back.

I hope he proves everything I just said wrong. He was a great warrior for a long time and I respect the hell out of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
made it to ff mastermind now:

-- Agent Denies Faneca has Accepted Jets' Offer --

Fri Feb 29, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com

Newsday.com reports agent Rick Smith denied that his client, OG Alan Faneca, has agreed to a contract with the New York Jets. He says they are still on the same timeline as they were earlier today with a decision porbably coming Saturday evening.

Alan Faneca's agent denies that his client as signed with the Jets.

"False report. It's a false report," agent Rick Smith said. ESPN's website reported the two sides agreed to a four-year, $32 million contract. It appears Faneca is still weighing offers. He could easily wind up with the Jets, but there's no deal yet.

Source: Newsday

Swing and a miss ESPN.....again......

Good Lord, what's UP with that place? When's the last rumor they had right?

Joey Porter Part 2.
If Faneca doesn't perform as advertised, I'll eat my hat. I hate the Steelers, but even I have to admit IS a hell of a guard.
:( Wasn't FWP the leagues lead rusher until he got hurt last year?? IIRCI know the TD's weren't there, but he did a hell of a job opening holes in the run game....which the Jets desperately need. With Mangold and D'brick on either side of him, I'd say this is quite a good thing, and look for plenty of holes on the left side for T.J., who can use all the help he can get after last year.

"Sour Grapes"???? :no:
;) Dude watch some football instead of repeating things you hear. Faneca is no where near the player he once was. Now there is no shame in that since him and Hutch were the two best guards at one time. He can still run block pretty good, but his pass blocking as declined a lot. He threw a lot of look out blocks the last 2 yrs. I wish the Steelers were able to resign him at a reasonable salary that equals his play going forward not pay him for his play for his first 7 yrs.

Swing and a miss ESPN.....again......Good Lord, what's UP with that place? When's the last rumor they had right?
I have no idea, I should have read who had leaked the report before I got excited. Odds it was Mort?? I say 2:1I am only trusting Schecter(Sp??) from now on, that lil squirmy guy has some pretty good contacts about confirming reports.....not just the darts at the board technique employed by ESPN.

At this stage in his career, Faneca is about a league average guard.He is not the mauler in the run game he once was, although he can still pull with the best of them.His pass pro is well below average as mentioned above. One of the tops in the league in sacks allowed.He got a contract based largely on the reputation of a player who hasn't been around for 2 years.As a Steeler fan, I wish none of the above was true. I would have loved to have the Faneca of old last season. Unfortunately, Steeler fans and apparently the FO recognized this wasn't the case a while back.I hope he proves everything I just said wrong. He was a great warrior for a long time and I respect the hell out of him.
:no:

Swing and a miss ESPN.....again......

Good Lord, what's UP with that place? When's the last rumor they had right?
I have no idea, I should have read who had leaked the report before I got excited. Odds it was Mort?? I say 2:1I am only trusting Schecter(Sp??) from now on, that lil squirmy guy has some pretty good contacts about confirming reports.....not just the darts at the board technique employed by ESPN.
:pickle: at lil squirmy guyYeah, he's in his element. He misses some. But he gets alot it seems.

I like how Wilcotts (?) is on NFLN now and everything he says is 'according to Adam'.

edited to add -wasn't Wilcotts - was mixing voices up...

also - I wouldn't blame you Gang - you go with what you see. When they start stating that IT HAPPENED, it's tough to know what they're looking at.

And hey - it was fun while it lasted and Faneca is visiting NY this weekend. So it might still....

Watching Faneca regress the last 2 years, I don't think he's worth his contract. The one thing he had going for him was the media saying how great he was. He's still a good run blocker, but has serious issues in pass pro. I'm pretty sure other Steeler fans who witnessed Faneca's last two seasons would agree.
:pickle: Whether due to injury, trying to do too much, or eroding skills Faneca was not the same guard as he was his first 8 years in the league. He is still a quality player and perhaps he just needs a change of scenery but I doubt he'll be worth the kind of money he unltimately signs for.Still, I am sad to see him go and I wish him well.

One must understand the theory of relativity here. Faneca relative to what the Jets had at LG last year is a hall of famer.

One must understand the theory of relativity here. Faneca relative to what the Jets had at LG last year is a hall of famer.
We had a LG last year??? It always looked that after the snap we just a gaping hole for defenders to run through. On a serious note...Faneca, even if on the 'wrong' side of 30 is still very productive in opening running lanes, and has 2 pretty good guys flanking him to help with the blindside on pass protection. The only team I see that would be as interested are the Rams. Looked like they played last year without any linemen on the blindside.So I am still hopeful. Though be it, tempered hope. (why does the SNL Lowered Expectations skit come to mind right now???)

:D I thought he was going to demand a 5 or 6 year deal.... At 4 yrs $23M guaranteed, I almost wish Pit had pulled the offer to Starks and signed Faneca at that money. :shrug:

It's a lot of money but that seems par for the course this year given the cap room everyone has. Faneca was a huge need for the Jets and will help them immensely. Is he overpaid? Probably but as long as that doesn't impair the Jets from making other moves; not a big deal really.

NYJ could really improve next year. LT Ferguson was progressing, and teaming him next to LG Faneca would be a great addititon. Maybe Michael Turner via FA for the NYJ?

Nice signing by the Jets. Faneca still played at a high level last year at Pittsburgh and solves a huge hole the Jets had at guard. It was really a weak spot for them last year.

NoFBinLA said:
So I am still hopeful. Though be it, tempered hope. (why does the SNL Lowered Expectations skit come to mind right now???)
Because we were Jets fans last year......*sigh*
28 yrs and counting actually. :confused: And I wonder why I drink as I do.
36 yrs here...... I'll drink with ya! :hifive: to Pheonix - I love that avatar and the video it came from... made me laff my tail off....
35 years...ill have some of that :suds:

Can he motivate Ferguson, straighten him out, etc? I'd bet that is the Jets biggest hope and an unmentioned obligation on his new job. Mangold too but I have confidence in Mangold. IMO Ferguson went from promising rookie to possible bust from year 1 to year 2. He's gotta get back on track, one of the most important things the Jets need to happen.

I like the Jets addressing their lines. Mangini getting the LBers he needs and taking the leash off Washington should be the next steps IMO.

it's official...

nypost_link

March 01, 2008

Faneca officially a Jet

BY PAUL SCHWARTZ

The Alan Faneca sweepstakes is over and the JetsNew York Jets are the big winners.

Faneca, a seven-time Pro Bowl left guard, has agreed to terms with the Jets on a mega-deal, a five-year, $40 million package that includes $21 million guaranteed money. That makes Faneca the highest-paid offensive lineman in the NFL.

"It really was a gut feeling,'' Rick Smith, Faneca's agent, told The Post.

Smith said the 49ers and Rams made similar financial offers but in the end, Faneca wanted to come to the Jets, where he instantly upgrades their offensive line.

Posted by Paul Schwartz on March 1, 2008 05:40 PM

I agree 100%. He was playing for the big contract but he has already slipped a noticeable amount from his best years. Paying big $$$ to a FA on his third contract rarely works out.

I agree 100%. He was playing for the big contract but he has already slipped a noticeable amount from his best years. Paying big $$$ to a FA on his third contract rarely works out.
he's light years better than what we had at that spot last year. :thumbup: TJ must be dancing in the streets...

Can he motivate Ferguson, straighten him out, etc? I'd bet that is the Jets biggest hope and an unmentioned obligation on his new job. Mangold too but I have confidence in Mangold. IMO Ferguson went from promising rookie to possible bust from year 1 to year 2. He's gotta get back on track, one of the most important things the Jets need to happen.

I like the Jets addressing their lines. Mangini getting the LBers he needs and taking the leash off Washington should be the next steps IMO.
:lmao:

he's light years better than what we had at that spot last year. :X TJ must be dancing in the streets...
Well, until they draft McFadden.

Joey Porter Part 2.
;) Wasn't FWP the leagues lead rusher until he got hurt last year?? IIRCI know the TD's weren't there, but he did a hell of a job opening holes in the run game....which the Jets desperately need. With Mangold and D'brick on either side of him, I'd say this is quite a good thing, and look for plenty of holes on the left side for T.J., who can use all the help he can get after last year.

"Sour Grapes"???? ;)
:X Dude watch some football instead of repeating things you hear. Faneca is no where near the player he once was. Now there is no shame in that since him and Hutch were the two best guards at one time. He can still run block pretty good, but his pass blocking as declined a lot. He threw a lot of look out blocks the last 2 yrs. I wish the Steelers were able to resign him at a reasonable salary that equals his play going forward not pay him for his play for his first 7 yrs.
We shall see, I think he'll look a lot different between d'brick and mangold than between curly an moe.

Users who are viewing this thread