What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets ink Faneca (1 Viewer)

Joey Porter Part 2.
If Faneca doesn't perform as advertised, I'll eat my hat. I hate the Steelers, but even I have to admit IS a hell of a guard.
He is not a pro bowl calibur G anymore. I wish he would have come back to the Steelers, but not at that money.
:rolleyes: Wasn't FWP the leagues lead rusher until he got hurt last year?? IIRCI know the TD's weren't there, but he did a hell of a job opening holes in the run game....which the Jets desperately need. With Mangold and D'brick on either side of him, I'd say this is quite a good thing, and look for plenty of holes on the left side for T.J., who can use all the help he can get after last year.

"Sour Grapes"???? :lmao:
His pass blocking is great too, his teammates make him look worse than he is.
:lmao: Dude watch some football instead of repeating things you hear. Faneca is no where near the player he once was. Now there is no shame in that since him and Hutch were the two best guards at one time. He can still run block pretty good, but his pass blocking as declined a lot. He threw a lot of look out blocks the last 2 yrs. I wish the Steelers were able to resign him at a reasonable salary that equals his play going forward not pay him for his play for his first 7 yrs.
We shall see, I think he'll look a lot different between d'brick and mangold than between curly an moe.
Who cares who plays next to Faneca when the guy lined up right across from him would blow right thru or past him. I can understand Jets fans excitement because he is better than what they had last yr, but Faneca's play has slipped dramatically on pass protection. He is still one of the best pulling guards in the league.

To those questioning how much Faneca helps (I think he's going to be one of the most impactful signings of this offseason), take a look back at how well Mangold and D'Brick looked as rookies versus last season. The difference was Pete Kendall. I think even Faneca's critics in this thread would admit that Alan is, by a wide margin, better than Pete Kendall was in 2006; yet he made all the difference to that line. By proxy, inserting Faneca into the line between Mangold and D'Brick should mean the Jets have one of the best left sides in the AFC.

My fellow Jets Fans... We filled our 2 biggest needs in the first 2 days of Free agency. What do you think this does to our draft strategy?

Jason Wood said:
To those questioning how much Faneca helps (I think he's going to be one of the most impactful signings of this offseason), take a look back at how well Mangold and D'Brick looked as rookies versus last season. The difference was Pete Kendall. I think even Faneca's critics in this thread would admit that Alan is, by a wide margin, better than Pete Kendall was in 2006; yet he made all the difference to that line. By proxy, inserting Faneca into the line between Mangold and D'Brick should mean the Jets have one of the best left sides in the AFC.
I firmly believe that the lack of a decent LG is what has helped D'Brick look so bad at pass protection. Even a past-his-prime Faneca will be enough to let D'Brick and Mangold concentrate on their own jobs.

Very good short term move by the Jets. Faneca helps stabilize the line which is absolutely critical if they are to develop Clemens correctly which is probably the most important issue facing the Jets.

What I don't like about the Jets is they only had a few draft picks last year (albeit good ones) and have now traded a #3 and a #5 this year. Hitting on those those mid-to-late round draft picks that are very cap friendly is incredibly crucial to a team's overall depth and ability to have long term cap flexibility. If you have to start relying on free agency to reinforce the bottom half of your roster you're playing with fire.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
:shrug: I thought he was going to demand a 5 or 6 year deal.... At 4 yrs $23M guaranteed, I almost wish Pit had pulled the offer to Starks and signed Faneca at that money. :2cents:
5 year, $40 million. No way the Steelers could have or should have matched that.

This is a great signing for the Jets. I think the Steeler fans in here are greatly exaggerating the demise of Faneca. He is still on of the 10 best Gs in football, if not 5 best. This is going to really hurt the Steelers in 08. We already major Oline issues before loosing the best player on that unit.

This is a great signing for the Jets. I think the Steeler fans in here are greatly exaggerating the demise of Faneca. He is still on of the 10 best Gs in football, if not 5 best. This is going to really hurt the Steelers in 08. We already major Oline issues before loosing the best player on that unit.
Faneca is still one of the 5 best guards in football, no doubt.

Interesting discussion. It seems like this is a deal that is good for the Jets but doesn't really hurt the Steelers that much. As a Ravens fan, I think Faneca has been very average the last two years. In 2006, Baltimore put a savage beating on Big Ben (something like 7 sacks in the game at Baltimore) and I thought Faneca looked slow and, honestly, kind of disinterested -- like he was made about contract negotiations with the Steelers and wasn't giving it his all.

Jets fans make a great point that he will really make the left side of their line look good and help bring along the youngsters on either side of him. But I'm guessing that 2-3 years down the line, they're going to be wondering why they're paying so much to a rapidly aging LG. I also believe that of all the places not to spend money on your team in the salary cap era, Guard is #1.

I also think Pittsburgh's line won't take that big of a hit. Faneca was living more on his reputation than his actual performance in recent years.

Faneca is still one of the 5 best guards in football, no doubt.
3 years ago he was unquestionably the best guard and one of the 5 best o-lineman in football. He might still be a Top-5 guard but he is on the downside of his career and has just signed a 5-year contract that makes him the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history.He'll be an upgrade for the Jets but they paid top dollar...

My fellow Jets Fans... We filled our 2 biggest needs in the first 2 days of Free agency. What do you think this does to our draft strategy?
The same as it should have been before the signings - get the stud pass rusher that [hopefully] is available at #6, Vernon Gholston.

You could not have watched the Steelers play last yr and not believe that Faneca's pass protection skills have declined big time. Yes overall Faneca might still be one of the 10 best G in the league, however he just signed the richest deal for a Free Agent OL in league history. The Steelers had problems with their OL WITH Faneca last yr, so I don't see how it could be worse with a cheaper younger alternative. That is the way of the league nowadays with the salary cap. Teams have to let aging stars go while other teams overpay these former stars based on previous years production.

You could not have watched the Steelers play last yr and not believe that Faneca's pass protection skills have declined big time. Yes overall Faneca might still be one of the 10 best G in the league, however he just signed the richest deal for a Free Agent OL in league history. The Steelers had problems with their OL WITH Faneca last yr, so I don't see how it could be worse with a cheaper younger alternative. That is the way of the league nowadays with the salary cap. Teams have to let aging stars go while other teams overpay these former stars based on previous years production.
A Guard can not make a line alone. It seems you and other Steelers fans expected him too. While Faneca did not play his best football the past few years, it is still markable better than 80% of the Guards in the NFL IMO. I agree with the earlier poster who said Faneca was disinterested and generally unhappy here in Pitt the past few years. I think the Jets will get a newly motivated and much more dominant Faneca that we Steeler fans got to see last year. This on top of the fact that the 2 players along his right and left side will also be much better than what Faneca had the past few years. Generally speaking, I think the Steelers always let players go at the right times and that those players will never enjoy the kind of success they had here in Pitt. This just isn't one of those times for me. I still think Faneca has 4 potential Pro Bowl seasons in him and that he is a guy that is more than the "system" players we have let go in the past. Don't get me wrong, I am not endorsing the idea that Pitt should have paid him that much dough. I think at the price, it was best to let him go. That does not mean it was not a great signing for the Jets though.

A Guard can not make a line alone. It seems you and other Steelers fans expected him too. While Faneca did not play his best football the past few years, it is still markable better than 80% of the Guards in the NFL IMO. I agree with the earlier poster who said Faneca was disinterested and generally unhappy here in Pitt the past few years. I think the Jets will get a newly motivated and much more dominant Faneca that we Steeler fans got to see last year. This on top of the fact that the 2 players along his right and left side will also be much better than what Faneca had the past few years. Generally speaking, I think the Steelers always let players go at the right times and that those players will never enjoy the kind of success they had here in Pitt. This just isn't one of those times for me. I still think Faneca has 4 potential Pro Bowl seasons in him and that he is a guy that is more than the "system" players we have let go in the past. Don't get me wrong, I am not endorsing the idea that Pitt should have paid him that much dough. I think at the price, it was best to let him go. That does not mean it was not a great signing for the Jets though.
I think you are disrespecting Faneca if you believe that his slip in play was due to him being unhappy about not getting a new contract. The guy is a warrior and ultimate team player who gives his all on every play and does whatever is asked of him. Last yr he made the Pro Bowl on his name recognition and I guess he still might make a couple more based on that, but not based on his overall play. I agree as a whole an OL can look bad if a few guys are subpar, but I seen way too many plays where Faneca's man beat him of the snap and get immediate pressure on Ben. On the football field it is a good signing for the Jets compared to what they had at G last yr, but considering salary implications I do not agree that it is such a great signing. Also factor in that Faneca is not the missing piece to put the Jets over the top, they are not a very good team with or without Faneca.

I think you are disrespecting Faneca if you believe that his slip in play was due to him being unhappy about not getting a new contract. The guy is a warrior and ultimate team player who gives his all on every play and does whatever is asked of him. Last yr he made the Pro Bowl on his name recognition and I guess he still might make a couple more based on that, but not based on his overall play. I agree as a whole an OL can look bad if a few guys are subpar, but I seen way too many plays where Faneca's man beat him of the snap and get immediate pressure on Ben. On the football field it is a good signing for the Jets compared to what they had at G last yr, but considering salary implications I do not agree that it is such a great signing. Also factor in that Faneca is not the missing piece to put the Jets over the top, they are not a very good team with or without Faneca.
Exactly who should have made the Pro Bowl over him? How many players should have gone instead of him? This notion that he didn't deserve it really holds no water until we know that.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
:unsure: I thought he was going to demand a 5 or 6 year deal.... At 4 yrs $23M guaranteed, I almost wish Pit had pulled the offer to Starks and signed Faneca at that money. :rolleyes:
5 year, $40 million. No way the Steelers could have or should have matched that.
I keep hearing this, but why not?How are the Steelers going to stay competitive this year with a line that looks, at best, mediocre and, at worst, problematic? What's the backup plan? And who are the Steelers going to sign that they financially wouldn't have been able to if they kept Faneca around?I'm not saying this in a derogatory way, I'm asking Steelers homers what you honestly think is the better alternative.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
:unsure: I thought he was going to demand a 5 or 6 year deal.... At 4 yrs $23M guaranteed, I almost wish Pit had pulled the offer to Starks and signed Faneca at that money. :popcorn:
I keep hearing this, but why not?How are the Steelers going to stay competitive this year with a line that looks, at best, mediocre and, at worst, problematic? What's the backup plan? And who are the Steelers going to sign that they financially wouldn't have been able to if they kept Faneca around?

I'm not saying this in a derogatory way, I'm asking Steelers homers what you honestly think is the better alternative.
I think Big Ben's new contract will eat that up and more.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
:thumbup: I thought he was going to demand a 5 or 6 year deal.... At 4 yrs $23M guaranteed, I almost wish Pit had pulled the offer to Starks and signed Faneca at that money. :rolleyes:
I keep hearing this, but why not?How are the Steelers going to stay competitive this year with a line that looks, at best, mediocre and, at worst, problematic? What's the backup plan? And who are the Steelers going to sign that they financially wouldn't have been able to if they kept Faneca around?I'm not saying this in a derogatory way, I'm asking Steelers homers what you honestly think is the better alternative.
Right or wrong we Steeler fans are still haunted by the contracts given to Gildon, Washington and Scott. The team felt locking up its major players to long term big contracts when they were past the prime was the road to success and it haunted the team for years. Faneca's in a similar situation and while the line needs to be addressed the weight of his contract would more then likely put a strain on the teams financials when his play significantly declines. He could play well between Mangold and D'Brick but on our team he has been a disappointment and if he was still here the line would still be a big issue and an issue with a huge contract restricting our ability to fix it. I'm glad he's gone. My perception is that the Steelers have been running more to the right side of the line any way the past two years and with Faneca gone they’ll know now more then ever that its time to seriously address the situation for the long term. The 4th or 3rd round comp pick in 2009 will be a nice thing too.

Last edited by a moderator:
AhrnCityPahnder said:
:unsure: I thought he was going to demand a 5 or 6 year deal.... At 4 yrs $23M guaranteed, I almost wish Pit had pulled the offer to Starks and signed Faneca at that money. :unsure:
I keep hearing this, but why not?How are the Steelers going to stay competitive this year with a line that looks, at best, mediocre and, at worst, problematic? What's the backup plan? And who are the Steelers going to sign that they financially wouldn't have been able to if they kept Faneca around?

I'm not saying this in a derogatory way, I'm asking Steelers homers what you honestly think is the better alternative.
Right or wrong we Steeler fans are still haunted by the contracts given to Gildon, Washington and Scott. The team felt locking up its major players to long term big contracts when they were past the prime was the road to success and it haunted the team for years. Faneca's in a similar situation and while the line needs to be addressed the weight of his contract would more then likely put a strain on the teams financials when his play significantly declines. He could play well between Mangold and D'Brick but on our team he has been a disappointment and if he was still here the line would still be a big issue and an issue with a huge contract restricting our ability to fix it. I'm glad he's gone. My perception is that the Steelers have been running more to the right side of the line any way the past two years and with Faneca gone they’ll know now more then ever that its time to seriously address the situation for the long term. The 4th or 3rd round comp pick in 2009 will be a nice thing too.
While going to multiple Pro Bowls :bag:

AhrnCityPahnder said:
:unsure: I thought he was going to demand a 5 or 6 year deal.... At 4 yrs $23M guaranteed, I almost wish Pit had pulled the offer to Starks and signed Faneca at that money. :unsure:

While going to multiple Pro Bowls :bag:
The past three years most any Steeler fan wll say he's been getting in on name recognition. I won't debate the probowl issue as I don't follow the play of other teams O-line closely but I've not been happy with him. I hope you are.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
:goodposting: I thought he was going to demand a 5 or 6 year deal.... At 4 yrs $23M guaranteed, I almost wish Pit had pulled the offer to Starks and signed Faneca at that money. :excited:
Here are the splits for Parker last year:
Code:
ATT 	YDS 	AVG 	LNG 	TD 	REC 	YDS 	AVG 	LNG 	TD 	FUM 	LSTRight Side	86 	339 	3.9 	30 	1 	6 	40 	6.7 	12 	0 	2 	2Left Side	118 	478 	4.1 	27 	0 	7 	62 	8.9 	17 	0 	0 	0Middle	73 	197 	2.7 	31 	0 	1 	-1 	-1.0 	-1 	0 	2 	1Left Sideline	31 	203 	6.5 	32 	1 	3 	36 	12.0 	22 	0 	0 	0Right Sideline	13 	99 	7.6 	27 	0 	6 	27 	4.5 	8 	0 	0 	0
Here are Davenport's:
Code:
ATT 	YDS 	AVG 	LNG 	TD 	REC 	YDS 	AVG 	LNG 	TD 	FUM 	LSTRight Side	39 	179 	4.6 	45 	2 	6 	62 	10.3 	32 	0 	0 	0Left Side	23 	158 	6.9 	39 	2 	7 	75 	10.7 	32 	1 	0 	0Middle	29 	106 	3.7 	14 	0 	1 	4 	4.0 	4 	0 	1 	0Left Sideline	7 	18 	2.6 	7 	0 	1 	17 	17.0 	17 	0 	0 	0Right Sideline	9 	38 	4.2 	15 	1 	3 	26 	8.7 	12 	1 	0 	0
Not only did Pitt run to the left side most often, they did so most effectively.

When Faneca was deserving of his pro-bowls you just saw it on the field. He played great early in his career and during the super bowl run. They would specifically highlight his play in ingame replays because of his run blocking prowess but it wasn't necessary because you noticed it was the play was occurring. They ran behind him almost every play when we had the Bus, and he got solid push off the line even thought they knew it was coming. He just doesn't have that role on the team anymore, and the highlights aren’t there. He isn't some bum lineman but I haven't seen the all star player that's talked about in the national media for quite some time. His pass pro has been suspect and the teams moved away from the power run to take advantage of Ben's skill and Parkers speed. I don't think he fits the team anymore at his price and in my opinion his play has diminished.

(Rotoworld) The Jets are "pretty close" to finalizing a deal with free agent OL Damien Woody, according to Newsday's Tom Rock.Impact: Woody was at Jets headquarters on Sunday. It looks like he's their top choice, ahead of Chargers castoff Shane Olivea, to replace RT Anthony Clement.
Looks like the Jets are really trying to solidify their O-Line...As the owner of the 1.01 in rookied drafts, i hope Mcfadden lands in New York.

:shrug: I thought he was going to demand a 5 or 6 year deal.... At 4 yrs $23M guaranteed, I almost wish Pit had pulled the offer to Starks and signed Faneca at that money. :lmao:
Currently the plan is to turn the job over to Chris Kemoeatu which I think is a better alternative than offering Faneca a 5-year deal that makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in the league.Last season Faneca did not have a very good year and you could certainly make the argument that part of that was due the fact that C Sean Mahan sucked and LT Marvel Smith was injured for most of the season. However Faneca had an off year in 2006 when playing between a healthy Marvel Smith and Pro Bowl C Jeff Hartings (the same guys he played between on the 2005 Super Bowl team). Again I think the move will be an upgrade for the Jets but they have paid top dollar for a player that appears to be on the downside of his career. As a Steelers fan that has seen his level of play drop for the past 2 seasons I am glad the Steelers didn't offer that kind of contract. If he has a resurgence and returns to his previous level of play for the next 3-5 years then it was a good signing for the Jets.

Joey Porter Part 2.
If Faneca doesn't perform as advertised, I'll eat my hat. I hate the Steelers, but even I have to admit IS a hell of a guard.
He is not a pro bowl calibur G anymore. I wish he would have come back to the Steelers, but not at that money.
:rolleyes: Wasn't FWP the leagues lead rusher until he got hurt last year?? IIRCI know the TD's weren't there, but he did a hell of a job opening holes in the run game....which the Jets desperately need. With Mangold and D'brick on either side of him, I'd say this is quite a good thing, and look for plenty of holes on the left side for T.J., who can use all the help he can get after last year.

"Sour Grapes"???? :shrug:
His pass blocking is great too, his teammates make him look worse than he is.
:lmao: Dude watch some football instead of repeating things you hear. Faneca is no where near the player he once was. Now there is no shame in that since him and Hutch were the two best guards at one time. He can still run block pretty good, but his pass blocking as declined a lot. He threw a lot of look out blocks the last 2 yrs. I wish the Steelers were able to resign him at a reasonable salary that equals his play going forward not pay him for his play for his first 7 yrs.
We shall see, I think he'll look a lot different between d'brick and mangold than between curly an moe.
Curly being former Pro Bowler Marvel Smith as opposed to thus-far flop Ferguson? :no:

Sorry for bumping such an old post, I was curious to see how much Faneca traded what would have been his 2nd SB ring for.

Wonder if there is even a sliver of regret on his part or he's laughing all the way to the bank? That honestly is a tough one to answer...I guess $25MM or whatever it ended up being guaranteed can take the sting out of just about anything.

I didn't follow him at all, did he do well this year for the NYJ?

Sorry for bumping such an old post, I was curious to see how much Faneca traded what would have been his 2nd SB ring for. Wonder if there is even a sliver of regret on his part or he's laughing all the way to the bank? That honestly is a tough one to answer...I guess $25MM or whatever it ended up being guaranteed can take the sting out of just about anything.I didn't follow him at all, did he do well this year for the NYJ?
He didn't think he was treated very well there and wanted to leave because they wouldn't give him a fair offer. I'm sure he's happy and happy for his former teammates. Why does one person's success have to hurt another. Look at Thomas Jones' stats. I think he did well.

He didn't think he was treated very well there and wanted to leave because they wouldn't give him a fair offer. I'm sure he's happy and happy for his former teammates. Why does one person's success have to hurt another. Look at Thomas Jones' stats. I think he did well.
Faneca may not liked the offer but that doesn't mean he wasn't treated very well or that the deal he was offered wasn't fair. He wanted a longer term deal and got one with the Jets. I don't see why there has to be a bad guy in this -- it is just business.

To be clear, I wasn't saying he was a bad guy or whatever.

I was just curious to see if folks think that, after the fact, he may feel like he sold his 2nd SB ring for Whatever the Steelers would have offered minus what he got.

Or maybe he is thinking about all the Benjamins piled high in his bank account.

Assuming of course the Steelers would have still won the SB with AF.

:unsure:

he played well this year. The stabiltiy he provided helped Ferguson a lot. Money well spent IMO as a Jets fan.

he played well this year. The stabiltiy he provided helped Ferguson a lot. Money well spent IMO as a Jets fan.
And as a Steelers fan I can say that I am glad that he did well but even happier the Steelers didn't re-sign him for the what he got with the Jets.

I just looked it up. Faneca was a Pro Bowler this year. I didn't know that, not that it matters.

I agree with GB. I am glad the Steelers didn't lock up crazy $$ in AF...But as a fan of his, I'm also glad he did well personally.

He must be wonderin what the future in NY is going to be with the QB situation so up in the air now.

Stillers Jr. said:
I just looked it up. Faneca was a Pro Bowler this year. I didn't know that, not that it matters.I agree with GB. I am glad the Steelers didn't lock up crazy $$ in AF...But as a fan of his, I'm also glad he did well personally.He must be wonderin what the future in NY is going to be with the QB situation so up in the air now.
i have a feeling that Kellen Clemens is gonna surprise us. He showed some flashes in 2007 despite having a beat up o-line, no running game and Justin "Stone hands" McCariens as his #1 healthy reciever. He would have beaten Baltimore in Baltimore had JM not dropped 2 TD's. Yes, i know the ravens stunk that year, but this was early in the season and i'm pretty sure the D was healthy at that point. While it obviously isnt a strength, i feel confident that teh winner of the Clemens/Ratliff comeptiton will be able to move the ball. (assuming the coaching and playcalling isnt total nonsense like it was this year under Mangini)

Sorry for bumping such an old post, I was curious to see how much Faneca traded what would have been his 2nd SB ring for. Wonder if there is even a sliver of regret on his part or he's laughing all the way to the bank? That honestly is a tough one to answer...I guess $25MM or whatever it ended up being guaranteed can take the sting out of just about anything.I didn't follow him at all, did he do well this year for the NYJ?
Thinly disguised fishing trip. Sniffs bait.... swims away. Gloating is never becoming.

Users who are viewing this thread