What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Russia invades Georgia! (1 Viewer)

ya know what i think?

We need to attack. Destroy those Russkie tanks by droid plane and just deny deny deny. see what happens then Putin!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some facts to help people:

Fighting has erupted between Georgia, a staunch U.S. ally, and Russia over the breakaway province of South Ossetia, but none of the U.S. personnel in Georgia appear to be at risk.

There are 127 U.S. military trainers there, of whom about 35 are civilian contractors, according to Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman.

All are safe and accounted for, according to United States European Command.

“They are safe and not engaged (in this conflict),” said Lt. Col. John Dorrian, EUCOM spokesman.

Dorrian said it would be inappropriate to speculate whether their level of involvement could change.

U.S. Forces have been busy preparing Georgians for a deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

“Obviously those training activities are suspended at this point,” Dorrian said from EUCOM’s headquarters in Stuttgart, Germany.

Meanwhile, EUCOM leaders are looking at whether the conflict poses any safety concerns for personnel stationed at the U.S. Embassy.

“We’re monitoring the situation to determine if any U.S. military support might be required in support of the U.S. Embassy,” Dorrian said. “We’re very considered and are monitoring it closely.”

As of Friday afternoon, no evacuations had been ordered.

With respect to the fighting, Barker said EUCOM intends to stay on the sidelines.

"We're going to watch and see how this unfolds," Barker said.In addition to the trainers, 1,000 soldiers from the Vicenza, Italy-based Southern European Task Force (Airborne) and the Kaiserslautern-based 21st Theater Sustainment Command, along with Marine reservists with the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines out of Ohio, and the state of Georgia’s Army National Guard’s 1st Battalion, 121st Infantry recently participated in “Immediate Response 2008.”

Though the training exercise ended Thursday, soldiers are still in the country, though nowhere near the conflict, according to EUCOM’s Lt. Cmdr. Corey Barker. The Marines have already left.
We have 1000 U.S. troops there helping with the training of a possible future NATO ally in a critical region of the Caucuses. While there Georgian president Mikhail Saakashvili decided it was a super time to drop the iron fist on his breakaway republic:link

The timing suggests Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili may have been counting on surprise to fulfill his longtime pledge to wrest back control of South Ossetia — a key to his hold on power.

Saakashvili agreed the timing was not coincidental, but accused Russia of being the aggressor. "Most decision-makers have gone for the holidays," he said in an interview with CNN. "Brilliant moment to attack a small country."
Putin responds and Bueno blames Russia for being an aggressor and Helltoupee, well I have no idea what he's trying to say. Sure Putin has been underhanded here, he's done it else where like in Transnistra also another place no one has ever heard of. But this conflict over the past few days is tied to politics, and the political stability of the Georgian President. Hey he said to himself, since I have 1000 highly trained U.S. troops on my soil right now Russia wouldn't dare to respond if I went into South Ossetia and cleaned up the area for my political well being. Not so much Miki. "Ouch."
South Ossetia is a breakaway Republic of Georgia. It is an internal matter. Russia intefering is an act of aggression.
It is also a region where a good portion of the population wants to be part of Russia. I know this doesn't escape you. As I said earlier, this happens all over the world every single day, it being Russia is inconsequential to what the U.S. position is when intervening.
this is a post world war II thing....the russians floaded the area with russians to establish a beach head...and in case any thing of this sort happened in the future they would have a reason for going in..

Boy, the right-wing condemnation for Bush in the early pages of this thread is astonishing. When I started reading I expected to find a terrific double-standard in effect, but it's hard to believe how hard they came down on GW.

Personally, I think that from the moment the Iron Curtain broke up into different countries, it was unwise for us to start guaranteeing their sovereignity and offering NATO alliances. Far better to simply recognize them but stay clear of offering them any aid until we see how this all pans out long term. Of course Russia is resentful of this. Imagine if China or some other world power arbitrarily offered Canada, Greenland, Mexico and Latin American countries alliances and pledged to "defend" their independence. Don't you think we'd be pissed by this?

Let's be frank: the independence of Georgia, the Ukraine, White Russia and Azerbijean does not serve American interests at all. It only guarantees wars in the future that we're going to get dragged into one way or another.
Really?

Users who are viewing this thread