What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers thread *** Schedule release May 15th - Rumor: 49ers will play Vikings in London in 2024 (8 Viewers)

I don’t think Kocurek wants it. Vrabel would be amazing. Belichick a fantasy. With this loaded roster and the history of recent 49er DCs getting head coaching gigs, it shouldn’t be hard to find a great DC.
why in the world would a guy like Vrabel take a job like that, with Shanahan as the head coach. Especially seeing how Wilkes is the scapegoat like he was the biggest reason they lost the SB.

3rd and 4 at the 11 with the game on the line and Steve Wilkes calls a pass play without blocking Chris Jones. You have to fire the guy. Oh, wait.....that wasn't Wilkes' call? Huh.
Huh? The RG admitted he blew the assignment.

The only reason I wouldn’t want Sherman is bc he’s a DB. Now I’m not saying he can’t be a great DC, but Wilks was a DB oriented coach and the strength of this defense is front 7. I’d rather someone front 7 oriented. I’d be thrilled with Vrabel.

I don’t think Kocurek wants it. Vrabel would be amazing. Belichick a fantasy. With this loaded roster and the history of recent 49er DCs getting head coaching gigs, it shouldn’t be hard to find a great DC.
why in the world would a guy like Vrabel take a job like that, with Shanahan as the head coach. Especially seeing how Wilkes is the scapegoat like he was the biggest reason they lost the SB.
Wilks is the first DC under Shanahan to get fired, the other 2 left to get HC jobs. Wilks wasnt a scapegoat, he wasnt a good fit. With the talent they have on defense, why wouldn't a good coach want to go there? Theyre still an NFC powerhouse and SB contenders.

Oh good lord, he wasn't the reason they lost the Super Bowl.
What am I missing? Did somebody say he was the reason they lost the Super Bowl?

Wilks was solid all season and very good in the Super Bowl. Sometimes personalities just don’t mesh. If you’re going to make a change, might as well do it quickly.

3rd and 4 at the 11 with the game on the line and Steve Wilkes calls a pass play without blocking Chris Jones. You have to fire the guy. Oh, wait.....that wasn't Wilkes' call? Huh.
Yes he did. Just like Tyler Kroft whiffed on the play Purdy got hurt on last year. But the truth isn’t as much fun to play the blame game with.

Wilks is the first DC under Shanahan to get fired, the other 2 left to get HC jobs. Wilks wasnt a scapegoat, he wasnt a good fit. With the talent they have on defense, why wouldn't a good coach want to go there? Theyre still an NFC powerhouse and SB contenders.
Yeah maybe. I just think the SF defense is certainly not the reason they lost the SB. You may get a good one depending on how SF can sell it, guess we will see.

Saleh and Ryans didn't win Super Bowls either. Wilkes was closer than either of them and yeah, that loss is on Kyle.
I’ve been as big a critic of KS as anyone in this thread, but Wilks was really bad this season. There isn’t a fan who watched all their games that is sad about his departure.

Oh good lord, he wasn't the reason they lost the Super Bowl.
What am I missing? Did somebody say he was the reason they lost the Super Bowl?

Wilks was solid all season and very good in the Super Bowl. Sometimes personalities just don’t mesh. If you’re going to make a change, might as well do it quickly.
Wut?

A few weeks ago Wingnut posted their rush defense rankings from the last 5 seasons, this season was the clear outlier, that’s not on KS and absolutely on Wilks.

It's probably the wrong place for this, but Steve Wilks is one of the most unlucky coaches I've seen. There is an alternate universe where the Panthers hire him as their HC instead of Reich and have a much better season. He took a pitiful squad and turned them into a team that was a Jaycee Horn injury away from winning the division. Until Greenlaw tore his Achilles, his defense was shutting down the greatest QB of our time.

I fully understand that the SF defense looked bad a lot under him, I just think he deserves better.

A few weeks ago Wingnut posted their rush defense rankings from the last 5 seasons, this season was the clear outlier, that’s not on KS and absolutely on Wilks.
Run Defense EPA/Play:

2019: #9
2020: #7
2021: #2
2022: #1
2023: #25

That's a problem.
Thanks, this.

And it was evident all season. Anyone who watched every game knew there were serious defensive problems that weren’t the same as the previous season. Even worse, I think the secondary was improved this year.

He absolutely was the wrong guy for the personnel on this defense.

Run Defense EPA/Play:

2019: #9
2020: #7
2021: #2
2022: #1
2023: #25

That's a problem.
Scoring defense was still pretty good this season.
Defense was loaded with talent, they should’ve been much more dominant. It looked like Barry Sanders stepped back on the field versus the Lions.

Shouldn't have been a pass play, IMO.

If Burford even slows Jones down for 0.5 seconds, Purdy has two wide open guys in the end zone on that play.

If Burford even slows Jones down for 0.5 seconds, Purdy has two wide open guys in the end zone on that play.
Pretty much. The little things that kill

It's been a fun but really really really frustrating ride since the Harbaugh days.

2011: Lost NFC Championship
2012: Lost Super Bowl
2013: Lost NFC Championship
2019: Lost Super Bowl
2021: Lost NFC Championship
2022: Lost NFC Championship
2023: Lost Super Bowl

I mean, WTF?! How we've managed to not win at least one Super Bowl since 2011 is mind boggling.

Cool.

It's been a fun but really really really frustrating ride since the Harbaugh days.

I mean, WTF?! How we've managed to not win at least one Super Bowl since 2011 is mind boggling.
It’s tough enough but they have never had an elite QB in those years and that makes it that much tougher. Brock can be that guy with a little more experience.

I'd rank those losses in terms of most devastating:
2012: Lost Super Bowl - worst one. If they replay that game 10x, the Niners win 8 of them. Just came out inexplicably flat in the first half.
2013: Lost NFC Championship - that was the functional super bowl that year since SEA and SF were the two best teams. That SF team, the way it was playing at the end of the year, was the best team of the last 25 years or so. We knew right away Bowman would never be the same after that gruesome injury and that this team was at the end of the line.
2023: Lost Super Bowl - Had a bunch of chances to win an overtime game.
2019: Lost Super Bowl - I didn't really think SF had a great shot to win that game, even up 10. Mahomes and that offense seemed inevitable. Still, they were a missed holding call on Bosa away.
2011: Lost NFC Championship - Super frustrating the way the game played out but I don't think there's any way that team goes on to beat the Patriots the way NY did. Alex Smith still had a mental block about completing passes to WR at that point.
2021: Lost NFC Championship - that team wasn't that good; playing with house money a little bit at that point, IMO.
2022: Lost NFC Championship - basically a forfeit.

I'd rank those losses in terms of most devastating:

2021: Lost NFC Championship - that team wasn't that good; playing with house money a little bit at that point, IMO.
Agree they weren't that good, BUT neither were the Rams and if Tartt doesn't drop the worlds easiest interception, they probably win that game and then go against the Bengals in the Super Bowl, which would have been a very winnable game. I can still picture the Stafford duck dropping right into Tartt's chest and he clanks it. Brutal.

But if Tartt doesn't drop that gimmie INT, we easily beat that Bengals team in the SB IMO.

Edit: has Tartt played a down in the NFL since that game?
Hah. Was posting pretty much the same thing at the same time.

No he hasn't played a down since. Philly signed him but he got cut before the season and nobody picked him up. To my knowledge anyway

But if Tartt doesn't drop that gimmie INT, we easily beat that Bengals team in the SB IMO.

The fact that that game ranks so low on my list is a testament to how many gut punch losses the Niners have had over the stretch you identified.

The fact that that game ranks so low on my list is a testament to how many gut punch losses the Niners have had over the stretch you identified.
Yeah, they just had so many games where they were literally one play away from winning the game. Never were blown out of a playoff game in those years other than the no QB game last year.

Always at a disadvantage at QB too, maybe other than against the Ravens in the 2012 Super Bowl, but then Flacco plays the game of his life that day :mad:

To me, the botched punt was the game changer/loser.

SF was the better team. A Reid the better coach.
Give that turnover to that coach that late in the game and
it's done.

To me, the botched punt was the game changer/loser.

SF was the better team.
Hard to argue. One dummy doesn’t get away from the ball like everyone else and the other dummy tries to pick it up instead of falling on it. Huge play. Chiefs only TD in regulation was on that short, 15 yard field.

Akash:

Dre Greenlaw’s had successful surgery and if he recovers as expected, he should be back sometime mid-next year.

It’ll add some pressure on Dee Winters and Jalen Graham developing into capable linebackers next to Fred Warner.

Doubt the #49ers can afford to sign another LB2.

Akash:

Dre Greenlaw’s had successful surgery and if he recovers as expected, he should be back sometime mid-next year.
Good to hear. Just wondering if anyone has ever had “unsuccessful” surgery?

Dre is sooooooo good. Hope he can recover 100 percent and hope he doesn’t rush it. Get healthy Dre

I've read several articles on achilles injuries and I'm a little nervous for Dre.

They all say between 65% and 75% of players with achilles tears return to play. 25% to 35% are career enders.

In one study of 95 players who had achilles injuries, 71 (73%) returned to play. There were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury vs 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons after the injury. There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. This data indicates that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently. Running backs and linebackers had significantly worse post-operative performance scores compared with pre-operative scores.

in another study, of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

Now the good news. Here's a few players who came back just fine:

Demaryius Thomas​

The late former Broncos star tore his Achilles in February of 2011, and it seemed likely he would miss the 2011 season. Instead, Thomas was able to play 11 games, and he racked up 32 catches, 551 yards and four touchdowns while serving as one of Denver's top wide receivers.

In 2012, Thomas broke out, catching 94 passes for 1,434 yards and 10 touchdowns while developing into Denver's No. 1 receiver. That began a string of five consecutive 1,000-yard seasons during which he made four Pro Bowls and was twice named an All-Pro second-teamer.

During that time, he showed no ill effects from the Achilles injury.

Terrell Suggs​

He tore his Achilles during the 2012 offseason but was able to get on the field for eight games during the regular season. He had just two sacks in those contests but added two more during Baltimore's Super Bowl run.

Suggs followed up that season with a 10-sack campaign and logged 54.5 total after tearing his Achilles. He was 29 at the time of his injury, so he proved that some of the NFL's more veteran players could still come back and be productive after the injury, even if not right away.

Cam Akers​

As mentioned earlier, Akers set the standard for torn Achilles recovery, returning to play for the Rams just five and a half months after suffering the injury during July training camp. He handled 72 carries for Los Angeles over four games during its Super Bowl 56 run.

And while Akers may not have been himself during that time, he was able to run for 786 yards and seven touchdowns on 188 carries in 2022. That 4.2 yards per carry average was the second-best of his career after his rookie season.

Source 1
Source 2

Last edited:
BANG BANG NINER...

Choke?

At least the Raiders had an actual "gang" element to their fanbase when they relocated to Los Angeles, and the "bang bang" resonated among the surrounding area of the Los Angeles Coloseum back in the 80's that had an actual boombox culture, as opposed to this 49er team after a week of partying in Vegas march out into the field of Allegiance like it was another game in a corporate field office that is way smaller and less innovative than Apple's nearby campus, and even less sterile in Levis' Corporate Park. Even Six Flags has taken a bath there, and Jed York trots out old "Sleepy Joe" Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, and whoever else that can gin up the fanbase trying to capture the magic of a pre-salary cap era 49ers, like they are amusement park characters in the Golden age of amusement parks.

The irony is that Jed has been so knee deep into Santa Clara politics (to where the words "grand jury" has reared it's head) that he has been more hands off with the team itself. Forget all his drunken tweets during the Harbaugh era. I mean, he just gave extensions in week 3 this season to both Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch like they already won the Super Bowl as a foregone conclusion. During Super Bowl media week - which also featured an inebriated Kyle Shanahan - Jed York said that even if they lost toe the Detroit Lions in the NFCCG, it still would had been a successful season.

Why? Because they are making more money than his uncle Eddie had ever with this franchise, and a season that ends much less without a Super Bowl is not a "train wreck" like Steve Young would call it if they didn't even make the Super Bowl, yet Jed is now 0-3 in Super Bowls.

It's like the 49ers are the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Dodgers have Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman as potential co-MVPs, the 49ers have Brock Purdy and Christan McCarfferty the same, they both are explosive on offense, smash and paint scoreboards with double digits during the regular season, have stat nerds paint their social media metrics the same, everyone getting fat, everyone getting paid, yet the Dodgers still have Dave Roberts, and the 49ers still have Kyle Shanahan.

At least Roberts won a championship albiet in a truncated season with his own Jimmy Garoppolo in Clayton Kershaw.

Like many Dodger seasons, this 49er season was full of storybooks, statistics, narratives, to where it would ultimatly end the way it should had. In a loss. All season long while living in Dodger country, dutring the regular season to where they are a shoo-in winning the NL West, all the bobblehead nights, I mean seeing Deebo Samuel this Super Bowl was like watching Mookie Betts this past divisional round in the MLB playoffs.

The 49ers statisically, like the Dodgers have posted one of thier best season ever, and fans get what they pay and will pay even more for in the regular season going forward. The Dodgers have spent a billion dollars for just two players alone, and they are a wise inevestment to the ROI. The 49ers don't have that luxury of old, where Eddie would spend everything he could to win because he was that competitive, money was no object, even while driving that franchise into the red.

The Yorks? What do they care? This is the most money they have ever made in a family business, without even owning thier own stadium.

But they are now 0-3 in the Super Bowl.

BANG BANG MONEY GANG.

Maybe they gangsta after all.

Last edited:
I've read several articles on achilles injuries and I'm a little nervous for Dre.

They all say between 65% and 75% of players with achilles tears return to play. 25% to 35% are career enders.

In one study of 95 players who had achilles injuries, 71 (73%) returned to play. There were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury vs 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons after the injury. There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. This data indicates that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently. Running backs and linebackers had significantly worse post-operative performance scores compared with pre-operative scores.

in another study, of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

Now the good news. Here's a few players who came back just fine:

Demaryius Thomas​

The late former Broncos star tore his Achilles in February of 2011, and it seemed likely he would miss the 2011 season. Instead, Thomas was able to play 11 games, and he racked up 32 catches, 551 yards and four touchdowns while serving as one of Denver's top wide receivers.

In 2012, Thomas broke out, catching 94 passes for 1,434 yards and 10 touchdowns while developing into Denver's No. 1 receiver. That began a string of five consecutive 1,000-yard seasons during which he made four Pro Bowls and was twice named an All-Pro second-teamer.

During that time, he showed no ill effects from the Achilles injury.

Terrell Suggs​

He tore his Achilles during the 2012 offseason but was able to get on the field for eight games during the regular season. He had just two sacks in those contests but added two more during Baltimore's Super Bowl run.

Suggs followed up that season with a 10-sack campaign and logged 54.5 total after tearing his Achilles. He was 29 at the time of his injury, so he proved that some of the NFL's more veteran players could still come back and be productive after the injury, even if not right away.

Cam Akers​

As mentioned earlier, Akers set the standard for torn Achilles recovery, returning to play for the Rams just five and a half months after suffering the injury during July training camp. He handled 72 carries for Los Angeles over four games during its Super Bowl 56 run.

And while Akers may not have been himself during that time, he was able to run for 786 yards and seven touchdowns on 188 carries in 2022. That 4.2 yards per carry average was the second-best of his career after his rookie season.

Source 1
Source 2

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28742993/ (Abstract)

https://www.researchgate.net/public...on_Repair_in_National_Football_League_Players (Charts)

Conclusion: Following Achilles tendon repair, less than 75% of players returned to the NFL. Postoperative career length was 1 season shorter than matched controls. No difference was observed in the number of games per season played compared to matched controls. Postoperative performance scores were significantly worse for RBs and LBs compared to preoperative and LBs had significantly worse postoperative performance when compared to matched controls.

Another thing that stood out to me is that WR have the best chance of returning to form post-surgery, but they are also the youngest group in the study. So I wonder if age is a factor in recovery.

Charts)

Postoperative performance scores were significantly worse for RBs and LBs compared to preoperative and LBs had significantly worse postoperative performance when compared to matched controls.
Another thing that stood out to me is that WR have the best chance of returning to form post-surgery, but they are also the youngest group in the study. So I wonder if age is a factor in recovery
Yeah, I came across both of your links the other day when I was researching achilles injury history...I mentioned the bold in my post, it's what makes me a little concerned. If Dre doesn't get back close to 100% it'd be a shame because he's so good. He's only 26, so he's got age on his side

I swear this team is cursed or something. The football gods just won't let em get that elusive 6th Lombardi.

:wall:

Just rewatched the game and it was even more frustrating than watching it live.

Even with all the mistakes, injuries, penalties, and missed FG, I feel like we outplayed KC for 4 quarters but just didn't execute well enough when we needed to. Losing Greenlaw was big, but even without him our defense played a hell of a game for 60 minutes. Holding KC and Mahomes to a single TD in regulation that only happened because of a gifted red zone posession was impressive, even against a less potent KC offense that we're used to seeing. In OT we gave up a huge run to Mahomes that ended up being the dagger, but it should have never went to OT to begin with...but, as usual, we found a way to let victory slip away.

Offensively, we had more than enough chances. Spag did a great job adjusting after Purdy started hot, but the O line was terrible most of the game. If Purdy has decent protection we score 30 easily IMO. Maybe that was why Deebo lead the team in targets, he seemed to be the first read a lot and Purdy had to get rid of the ball quick due to pressure. Kyle should have realized that it wasnt working and dialed up more passes for CMC, whos a beast in the pass game and caught EVERY TARGET for an avg of 10 yards. Jennings had the game of his life, but nobody else stepped up to help out. If SF wins, I don't think there's any doubt Jennings would have been MVP.

SB receiving targets:

Deebo: 11 (3 rec for 33yds)
CMC: 8 (8 rec for 80yds, 1td)
Aiyuk: 6 (3 rec for 49yds)
Jennings: 5 (4 rec for 42yds, 1td)
Kittle: 3 (2 rec for 4yds, had a big gain erased by a penalty)

There were at least 3 plays that were sure fire TDs if the OL just does their job. It's comical how many times KC had free rushers to the QB. IIRC, it was something like 8 or 9. Inexcusable.

If SF doesn't make serious upgrades on the O line this offseason, especially the right side, what are we doing here? They have more than enough firepower to beat anybody, but if they don't fix the O line, they're just spitting into the wind.

Kawakami:

My most realistic guesses, offered on a couple of podcasts last week, are Indianapolis defensive coordinator Gus Bradley and Jets DC Jeff Ulbrich. I’m not sure about either of their contractual situations, but I will continue to guess that Ulbrich, a former 49ers linebacker who remains close to many people inside the organization, would have the most motivation of those two to want this job. Would the Jets let him make a lateral move? I don’t know. But I think there would be momentum for this, if the 49ers and Ulbrich want it to happen.

He guesses an announcement will be made by the end of the week.

Lombardi:

Wow. This is great news for the 49ers.

The NFL's newly announced salary cap for 2024, $255.4 million, is a whopping 13.6% increase over the 2023 number of $224.8m.

Original expectations were in the low $240s. A few days ago, those upped to "approaching $250". $255.4m blows that away and means that the 49ers should be in even better shape to retain their core of star players for 2024 — with a boost for 2025 business (see Purdy, Brock) as well.

The largest salary-cap increase in NFL history couldn’t have come at a better time for the 49ers.

Akash:

#49ers front office smartly kept backloading extensions into 2024-25 anticipating a salary cap rise and they got exactly what they needed.

Now, with a few salary cap maneuvers, they can be serious players in free agency and re-load for another run this upcoming season.

Akash:

#49ers front office smartly kept backloading extensions into 2024-25 anticipating a salary cap rise and they got exactly what they needed.

Now, with a few salary cap maneuvers, they can be serious players in free agency and re-load for another run this upcoming season.

Seems like this statement could apply to all 32 teams in the NFL
It's been widely reported and believed that SF is in cap hell amd won't be able to play everyone and still sign free agents, but that's not the case at all.

still catching up on some stuff (stopped at page 61)...but a few comments from the KC side real quick...

1. Really feel like discounting the KC D and the job Spags and company did....all year...let alone the postseason....and in this game
2. KC D gave looks discouraging the run
3. People question why BAL didn't run more....maybe there is a reason....not just KS "abandoning the run" or BAL doing the same....but maybe what KC was showing both of the best rushing teams in the NFL that might not be your best option here....we are prepared to stop it...rushing may not have worked....easy to Monday morning QB here...knew 100% Spags and Reid were going to make Lamar and BAL beat them with his....lets just say....weakest part of his game....passing....
4. Like most postseason games....turnovers are the difference....especially when evenly matched which the point spread indicated....with that said...
5. The turnover on the punt was absolutely huge....game changing huge....as was the blocked PAT....none of those have anything to do with Shanahan....you can cry about abandoning the run and 6 straight passes all you want.....but those two "special teams plays"...totally changed the game.......with the PAT block "dictating" strategy from that point forward
6. Coaches...like players getting outplayed....sometimes get outcoached on any given week....it happens....sometimes people are just better than you taht week....KS and his staff dominate most of the teams on most weeks.....it just didn't happen here as Reid and Spags were tremendous....it doesn't mean KS sucks or is a choker....sometimes you just get beat....KS will have a long history in this league....and who knows maybe when he is Andy's age....he is pulling this kind of stuff for you
7. Bosa was held....a lot....but they didn't really call it either way
8. Chris Jones shows up when needed....I get it...there was a breakdown on a crucial play....but dude is a big game dawwwwwwwwg
9. The stuff about taking the ball in OT....I'll just call it a coin flip....although I would prefer to kick...KC would have gone for two 100%.....SF should have had the same mentality....but didn't...
10. No matter what else happened ahead of time....you were one 4th down and one stop from winning the SB....30 other teams would have loved to be in that spot, win or lose.....they probably all would signed up for that before the season started...to be in the SB....in OT with a chance to win.....I'm a KC fan ....sign me up every time.....(although I do have the Boogey Man playing QB)....
11. I think you have a good thing in KS and Lynch.....sometimes you just get beat....the fumble on the punt and the blocked PAT .....IMO...is what changed the game.....not KS being a bad coach and choking.....but I hate to lose or see my team lose more than anybody I know.....so I get it....the two week buildup and the game day SB parties ending in disappointment sucks....but you were right there and you got to experience like a month more of fun football watching than most....relax...you are pretty much guaranteed to be be back in the playoffs next year....you have a lot to look forward too.... :suds:

still catching up on some stuff (stopped at page 61)...but a few comments from the KC side real quick...

1. Really feel like discounting the KC D and the job Spags and company did....all year...let alone the postseason....and in this game
2. KC D gave looks discouraging the run
3. People question why BAL didn't run more....maybe there is a reason....not just KS "abandoning the run" or BAL doing the same....but maybe what KC was showing both of the best rushing teams in the NFL that might not be your best option here....we are prepared to stop it...rushing may not have worked....easy to Monday morning QB here...knew 100% Spags and Reid were going to make Lamar and BAL beat them with his....lets just say....weakest part of his game....passing....
4. Like most postseason games....turnovers are the difference....especially when evenly matched which the point spread indicated....with that said...
5. The turnover on the punt was absolutely huge....game changing huge....as was the blocked PAT....none of those have anything to do with Shanahan....you can cry about abandoning the run and 6 straight passes all you want.....but those two "special teams plays"...totally changed the game.......with the PAT block "dictating" strategy from that point forward
6. Coaches...like players getting outplayed....sometimes get outcoached on any given week....it happens....sometimes people are just better than you taht week....KS and his staff dominate most of the teams on most weeks.....it just didn't happen here as Reid and Spags were tremendous....it doesn't mean KS sucks or is a choker....sometimes you just get beat....KS will have a long history in this league....and who knows maybe when he is Andy's age....he is pulling this kind of stuff for you
7. Bosa was held....a lot....but they didn't really call it either way
8. Chris Jones shows up when needed....I get it...there was a breakdown on a crucial play....but dude is a big game dawwwwwwwwg
9. The stuff about taking the ball in OT....I'll just call it a coin flip....although I would prefer to kick...KC would have gone for two 100%.....SF should have had the same mentality....but didn't...
10. No matter what else happened ahead of time....you were one 4th down and one stop from winning the SB....30 other teams would have loved to be in that spot, win or lose.....they probably all would signed up for that before the season started...to be in the SB....in OT with a chance to win.....I'm a KC fan ....sign me up every time.....(although I do have the Boogey Man playing QB)....
11. I think you have a good thing in KS and Lynch.....sometimes you just get beat....the fumble on the punt and the blocked PAT .....IMO...is what changed the game.....not KS being a bad coach and choking.....but I hate to lose or see my team lose more than anybody I know.....so I get it....the two week buildup and the game day SB parties ending in disappointment sucks....but you were right there and you got to experience like a month more of fun football watching than most....relax...you are pretty much guaranteed to be be back in the playoffs next year....you have a lot to look forward too.... :suds:
Consider using a period instead of an ellipsis once in awhile.

Kyle Shanahan confirms he has interviewed former Charger HC Brandon Staley as well as Nick Sorensen (current 49ers passing game coordinator) for defensive coordinator job. Daniel Bullocks scheduled to interview later this week.

Per Matt Maiocco

ETA: if down to those 3, I'd take Bullocks. Sorenson is an offensive coach (?!) and Staley had one good year as Rams DC before being a terrible head coach. Bullocks has been with SF for 7 years and has been a CB coach, DB coach, and safeties coach. He knows the players and system as well as anyone and worked under both Saleh and Ryans.

Last edited:
Kyle Shanahan confirms he has interviewed former Charger HC Brandon Staley as well as Nick Sorensen (current 49ers passing game coordinator) for defensive coordinator job. Daniel Bullocks scheduled to interview later this week.

Per Matt Maiocco

ETA: if down to those 3, I'd take Bullocks. Sorenson is an offensive coach (?!) and Staley had one good year as Rams DC before being a terrible head coach. Bullocks has been with SF for 7 years and has been a CB coach, DB coach, and safeties coach. He knows the players and system as well as anyone and worked under both Saleh and Ryans.
you aren't worried that it is they had a few people they liked and all of them declined the position? Seems like a hard one to jump into, kind of like an OC position where the head coach calls the plays. The way Wilkes was booted, I would think it has to be somebody internally or somebody desperate

Per Matt Maiocco

you aren't worried that it is they had a few people they liked and all of them declined the position? Seems like a hard one to jump into, kind of like an OC position where the head coach calls the plays. The way Wilkes was booted, I would think it has to be somebody internally or somebody desperate
Am I worried that people declined an interview? I think we would hear if that was the case. Not sure what you mean by the job is a hard one to jump into, their defense is top 10 and loaded with talent, and SF is a contender. I'd think it's an attractive job but how many top DCs candidates are out there? Belichick is a pipe dream, and Vrabel isn't going to take a coordinator job IMO.

Bullocks is the internal guy they I think they should go with IF it's down to him, Staley and Sorenson. He knows the system and players, and the players love him. It'd be pretty seamless and they'd be running the same defense they ran with Saleh and Ryans.

Last edited:
DeMeco Ryans said he was floored by former pupil Dre Greenlaw’s Achilles tear in SB, notes that he (Ryans) suffered two during his career. Said it took him six months to recover, perhaps three after that to round back into form.

DeMeco Ryans said he was floored by former pupil Dre Greenlaw’s Achilles tear in SB, notes that he (Ryans) suffered two during his career. Said it took him six months to recover, perhaps three after that to round back into form.
Will be interesting to see how they handle his contract situation.

Users who are viewing this thread