What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** 49ers and Brandon Aiyuk "not close" in contract negotiations (9 Viewers)

I said this earlier in the thread, but CMC was averaging 3.6 ypc on 22 attempts. If you take out the first drive of the game, CMC was averaging 3.2 yards per carry.
So if they run it on 1st and 2nd down, they're in 3rd and 3 or 4 instead of 3rd and 10 or worse.

Just because they weren't gashing KC with the run, keep at it, especially if it puts you in more manageable 3rd downs, and when you have CMC, a big run can happen at any time. He didn't win OPOY by being kept down all game.

It's crazy how split we all are on this. We will never know if things would have been different.

This is such an intelligent post. CMC almost always gets 3 yards...so much easier to get to 3rd and 3 then it is to be 3rd and 10. Nobody in the world beside KS thought Purdy throwing a ton was the key to winning this game (ironically not even targeting kittle/Aiyuk/deebo)
Interesting. I think it’s a really bad take. He could have been stuffed twice and it could be 3rd and 10. Nobody knows of course.

Yes because we know that cmc often gets zero yards....give me a break dude
Yes, it totally outside the realm of possibility that he doesn’t get at least 6 yards on the two carries. All righty then!

Honestly I think I'm putting you on ignore because it appears impossible for you to post without being a condescending jerk. Feel free to ignore me as well
Pretty please. Ignore me forever.
Candidly, I do think you have been a little condescending. We can disagree respectively, which I’ve tried to do. I ceded a point to you above about some players not paying attention out of respectful conversation.

Last edited:
Can we at least agree an OC wouldn’t be a bad idea? Not even a play calling OC, just someone to take the burden off or a trusted advisor.

It wouldn’t be bad to have an OC say “hey Kyle, we just went 3 & out on the last possession with 3 passes. Let’s try to establish the run a little on this possession. Even if it fails, let’s keep them honest.”

49ers checklist:

pass-rush firepower ✅
Vet QB depth ✅
Safety ✅
O-line depth that can compete at RT
Center
Kicker
Nickelback
Haven’t discussed kicker. Obviously the extra point was huge, but he did come through with 2 50+ kicks. I’ve been on him all year, I’m a little torn.

This is a good tweet.

My Report: The #49ers Super Bowl window is still wide open. But, the organizational philosophy to get over the hump needs to change.

While there are “aging” stars:
Trent Williams 35
Kyle Juszczyk 32
Javon Hargrave 31
Arik Armstead 30

They have plenty of stars in their prime:
George Kittle 30
Deebo Samuel 28
Christian McCaffrey 27
Fred Warner 27
Charvarius Ward 27

And look at all this PREMIER young talent:
Nick Bosa 26
Dre Greenlaw 26
Aaron Banks 26
Brandon Aiyuk 25
Talanoa Hufanga 24
DMO Lenoir 24
Ji'Ayir Brown 24
And the biggest reason their window is open is because Brock Purdy is only 24 years old. 👀

That is 17 A+/B caliber players on the roster. With several young players who we’ve not seen who could be really good (Jalen Graham, Brayden Willis, Darrell Luter, Samuel Womack- all under 24 years old).

So NO…. The window absolutely has not closed. It’s still open. Now, to my second point in the beginning of this post.

Changing the organizational philosophy. If the Super Bowl taught us anything, having a strong OL is just as crucial as a strong DL. You can argue it’s even more important to have a stronger OL. For example: The Chiefs spent heavy $/capital on their OL/The 49ers spent heavy $/capital on their DL. But, did you know the Chiefs got more pressure on Brock Purdy with lesssss premier defensive line talent due to the WEAK interior Niners OL than the Niners elite DL did on Patrick Mahomes, because KC OL is incredible.

The key change SF has to do this OFF-Season is spend high draft capital or FA $ on the the OL. Yes prioritize the DL and secondary….. but the #1 priority needs to be a investment in the OL. Especially with your BEST PLAYER also being your oldest and “aging” star.

If the Niners focus on the OL this off-season, while adding some nice depth around the roster; they will be in New Orleans next year with a shot to win the Super Bowl.

Can we at least agree an OC wouldn’t be a bad idea? Not even a play calling OC, just someone to take the burden off or a trusted advisor.
I don’t know about OC in title, but I’ve posted my concern about the brain drain on his staff a bunch of times . This team used to have McDaniel, Lafleur, Slowik, etc in that offensive meeting room. Losing another guy in Kubiak (one of them) to be NO’s OC this year. I know Griese is supposed to be good and reportedly Shanahan has talented young coaches beating down his door for opportunities, but Kyle needs to keep the cycle of smart folks running through to keep the offense fresh. The fact that Shanahan has maintained such a high level to this point even with the departures is another reason why he’s such a valuable coach.

His cerebral QB made it a point to know.

Purdy says Brian Griese clarified the NFL’s playoff OT rules to him before the end of regulation

This will be Purdys first healthy offseason as a starter. He's gonna be putting in work from the get go.

QB Brock Purdy outlines his plans for improving his game over the offseason:

I think it is worth noting that while the 49ers could have ran the ball when they were doing nada when throwing it in the 3rd, the 49ers defense was holding it down. Despite three 3 and outs, they were getting the ball back with a 10-6 lead until the disaster when the punt return where the Chiefs recovered it and scored on the next play. While the 49ers offense came back and took the lead after that, that recovery and quick TD seemed to jump start the Chiefs O.

Besides the OT rule problem for the 49ers players not knowing, Shanahan admits he felt like it was a field goal type of game. That's a big part of why they lost, they weren't playing aggressively for a touchdown, they were settling for a field goal. Same reason he blew it with the Falcons against the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Besides the OT rule problem for the 49ers players not knowing, Shanahan admits he felt like it was a field goal type of game. That's a big part of why they lost, they weren't playing aggressively for a touchdown, they were settling for a field goal. Same reason he blew it with the Falcons against the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

It is the same reason and against the greatest QB ever you have to assume it's a td game. Absolutely have to. He was playing not to lose instead of playing to win

The Chiefs defense played a major role in that game too. What they did in the playoffs against those 4 offenses is dang near historical. I read a stat that said Spags’ defense took off 12.5 points on average of each of those teams season scoring avereage. That is MASSIVE.

Like I said earlier, I thought Shanahan called a great game. But Spags was better. No shame in losing to a guy who now has 4 rings as a coordinator. Which, by the way, is the most EVER. By any coordinator - offense or defense.

Last edited:
Andy Reid went to like 5 NFCC in a row and lost a Super Bowl to the Patriots
-Then he went to KC and found a lot of success doing the same thing he was already doing

Please, if you all want to turn the page on Kyle Shanahan, Miami would be happy to take him off your hands and send Mike McD back your way
You all have some sort of imaginary standard that no one could ever fill
"So c'mon stop your crying, we both know money burns, honeys don't stop trying and you'll get what you deserve!"

They ran Shula out of Baltimore and Reid out of Philly, 2 of the very best Head Coaches of all time in the NFL.
"We need to hire an OC" :lol:
7th Rd rookie with athletic ability of a Chess Club player gets you all the way to an NFCC where his elbow was torn apart and then back to the NFCC and eventual Super Bowl
and you all want a new Offensive Coordinator that will be better than Kyle Shanahan?
:lmao:

I love all of you, it's great fun to see you debate about these things but don't overthink it.
Eventually someone is going to be better or just as good as you in the wide open NFC
Imagine if you all had to compete in the AFC right now with all those rocket arm Quarterbacks?

It is the same reason and against the greatest QB ever you have to assume it's a td game. Absolutely have to. He was playing not to lose instead of playing to win
Nope. Really bad take

A guy playing "not to lose" doesn't go for it on 4th and 4 when a FG ties the game :ponder:

You also complain that he "didn't run the ball" enough. Threw too many passes. Not exactly a strategy of a coach who is playing "not to lose"

You're just trying to spin this to fit your narrative of "it's Shanahan's fault". He made a decision to take the ball and he certainly didn't play it conservative on that possession. If he goes for it in OT and they don't make it, I guarantee the same people bashing him now would be bashing him for not taking the points. The only TD KC scored in regulation was when they got the muffed punt at the 49er 15, yet you argue that you "absolutely" have to assume KC would get a TD in OT. That's just hindsight being 100 percent correct once again.

It actually was a FG kind of game. KC kicked 4 of them, including the game tying FG with 6 seconds left when they had time to run another play into the end zone. I was really surprised (happily) that KC was trotting out the FG team. The previous play to Kelce took only 4 seconds and I was relieved they didn't try it again. Imagine the grief Reid would have taken for that decision if KC hadn't pulled the game out.

MOP is 100 percent spot on in the above post when he says some of you have this imaginary standard that nobody can live up to. Again, some of it is just some kind of weird hatred of Shanahan beyond losing two close super bowl games. As an aside, I don't recall an OC being blamed for a super bowl loss like Shanahan is for the Falcons collapse. Usually the head coach is the one taking the grief, but not in this case. But willing to bet, had the Falcons won that game, that those same people would not be claiming that Shanahan had a super bowl title on his resume. Only the head coach gets credit for the titles but the OC gets the blame for the loss :popcorn:

Football is a great form of entertainment, but nothing to shed tears over.

I don’t know about OC in title, but I’ve posted my concern about the brain drain on his staff a bunch of times . This team used to have McDaniel, Lafleur, Slowik, etc in that offensive meeting room. Losing another guy in Kubiak (one of them) to be NO’s OC this year. I know Griese is supposed to be good and reportedly Shanahan has talented young coaches beating down his door for opportunities, but Kyle needs to keep the cycle of smart folks running through to keep the offense fresh. The fact that Shanahan has maintained such a high level to this point even with the departures is another reason why he’s such a valuable coach.
Add Anthony Lynn to the list of departures (to the Commanders).

Kawakami, who has demonstrated he’s very well sourced over the years, seems to think Wilks is probably out. There aren’t any real internal candidates so that will be an interesting offseason situation to monitor.

Nope. Really bad take

A guy playing "not to lose" doesn't go for it on 4th and 4 when a FG ties the game :ponder:

You also complain that he "didn't run the ball" enough. Threw too many passes. Not exactly a strategy of a coach who is playing "not to lose"

You're just trying to spin this to fit your narrative of "it's Shanahan's fault". He made a decision to take the ball and he certainly didn't play it conservative on that possession. If he goes for it in OT and they don't make it, I guarantee the same people bashing him now would be bashing him for not taking the points. The only TD KC scored in regulation was when they got the muffed punt at the 49er 15, yet you argue that you "absolutely" have to assume KC would get a TD in OT. That's just hindsight being 100 percent correct once again.

It actually was a FG kind of game. KC kicked 4 of them, including the game tying FG with 6 seconds left when they had time to run another play into the end zone. I was really surprised (happily) that KC was trotting out the FG team. The previous play to Kelce took only 4 seconds and I was relieved they didn't try it again. Imagine the grief Reid would have taken for that decision if KC hadn't pulled the game out.

MOP is 100 percent spot on in the above post when he says some of you have this imaginary standard that nobody can live up to. Again, some of it is just some kind of weird hatred of Shanahan beyond losing two close super bowl games. As an aside, I don't recall an OC being blamed for a super bowl loss like Shanahan is for the Falcons collapse. Usually the head coach is the one taking the grief, but not in this case. But willing to bet, had the Falcons won that game, that those same people would not be claiming that Shanahan had a super bowl title on his resume. Only the head coach gets credit for the titles but the OC gets the blame for the loss :popcorn:

The first half of this post seems fair. Hindsight is 20/20. You could absolutely be right about that.

The second half I disagree with partially. Shanahan got a ton of credit for making Matt Ryan not just a top QB, but the MVP. How crazy is it in retrospect that “Matty Ice” was the league MVP? That season sure looks like an anomaly now eh? Clearly the reason for that success was pure Shanahan. I do agree that he gets an oddly large share of the criticism and the HC gets too much of a pass…..

Do not allow the fact that in 13 straight quarters of football in the Super Bowl, The Chiefs have been called for Offensive Holding...anyone, anyone?
That's right, NONE!

And we have all seen the clips of them bear hugging Bosa repeatedly
Don't throw out the baby with the bath water

Chiefs figured out the Refs were going to allow them to do anything they want, Chiefs made adjustments at halftime. Chase Young might have been on his way to an MVP performance and was erased in the 2nd Half

Did Aiyuk even suit up?

Last edited:

Nope. Really bad take

The first half of this post seems fair. Hindsight is 20/20. You could absolutely be right about that.

The second half I disagree with partially. Shanahan got a ton of credit for making Matt Ryan not just a top QB, but the MVP. How crazy is it in retrospect that “Matty Ice” was the league MVP? That season sure looks like an anomaly now eh? Clearly the reason for that success was pure Shanahan. I do agree that he gets an oddly large share of the criticism and the HC gets too much of a pass…..
Not being a Falcons fan, I can't really comment on that. Just saying that the Shanahan bashers who claim he is 0-3 in super bowls wouldn't be saying he is 1-2 in super bowls if the Falcons had won. Nobody ever credits coordinators for titles, just the head coach.

Kawakami, who has demonstrated he’s very well sourced over the years, seems to think Wilks is probably out. There aren’t any real internal candidates so that will be an interesting offseason situation to monitor.
That's fine. I have no real feeling either way.

However, Bosa saying the team "wasn't prepared" defensively on Sunday seems really off base. Held KC to 19 points in regulation and the only TD was a short, 15 yard field after the muffed punt. And they lost Greenlaw fairly early on a fluke injury. Such a huge part of their defense. That criticism seems really unfair and he is coming off as a crybaby IMO. Thought they played an excellent defensive game. If you told me before the game that KC would only score 19 points in regulation, I would have been happy with that.

However, Bosa saying the team "wasn't prepared" defensively on Sunday seems really off base...That criticism seems really unfair and he is coming off as a crybaby IMO.
I feel like it's more of a dig at Wilks, and probably warranted. I for one hope he's gone, he just isn't a good fit IMO.

Fletcher Cox taking shots at Deebo, and Jalen Carter opening up a can of worms with his garbage about Feliciano is such a bad look.

I guess Eagles players still bitter about us embarrassing them in their own house. Funny they wait til the SB loss to start flapping their gums.

Last edited:

However, Bosa saying the team "wasn't prepared" defensively on Sunday seems really off base. Held KC to 19 points in regulation and the only TD was a short, 15 yard field after the muffed punt. And they lost Greenlaw fairly early on a fluke injury. Such a huge part of their defense. That criticism seems really unfair and he is coming off as a crybaby IMO. Thought they played an excellent defensive game. If you told me before the game that KC would only score 19 points in regulation, I would have been happy with that.
Maybe. It's hard for us to tell how well prepared they were. I thought it was telling at one point in the second half when Shanahan saw the defense lined up in a formation for a big third down he didn't like and called a timeout to get out of Wilks' play call. Wilks just never seemed to connect with the team this year. He was probably the victim of unfair expectations, having to come in without any of his own people and assimilate entirely to the existing way of doing things, but it didn't click.

However, Bosa saying the team "wasn't prepared" defensively on Sunday seems really off base...That criticism seems really unfair and he is coming off as a crybaby IMO.
I feel like it's more of a dig at Wilks, and probably warranted. I for one hope he's gone, he just isn't a good fit IMO.
Shanahan on Steve Wilks: "It just ended up being not the right fit."

Shanahan said he will look inside the building as well as outside the organization to bring in a coordinator who has more of a background in the system the 49ers have run since 2017.

Shanahan said he'd like to retain the system his players have playing in recent years and gotten used to but is open to an another scheme if it makes sense.

Can you imagine what Belichick could do as DC with this defense?? Yeah, pipe dream for sure.

Matt Barrows:

An interesting internal candidate: defensive passing game/nickels coach Nick Sorensen. He's had a hand in a lot of areas -- LBs, CBs, NCBs in recent years, would have a global view of the defense. Shanahan said he'd prefer to stick w/ 49ers' current system, but not married to it.

I don’t think Kocurek wants it. Vrabel would be amazing. Belichick a fantasy. With this loaded roster and the history of recent 49er DCs getting head coaching gigs, it shouldn’t be hard to find a great DC.

Lombardi makes a good point about Wilks not being able to bring anyone with him. It was definitely a forced fit:

IMO, Shanahan got overly ambitious with the Steve Wilks hire. He figured the 49ers’ personnel and defensive structure was strong enough to allow for an outside-the-family hire. He didn’t let Wilks bring his own assistants and instead forced him to integrate with what SF already had. Ultimately, the 49ers implemented some effective new coverage strategies but overall, there was too much regression in run defense — especially given the talent at hand.

Do not allow the fact that in 13 straight quarters of football in the Super Bowl, The Chiefs have been called for Offensive Holding...anyone, anyone?
That's right, NONE!

Chiefs figured out the Refs were going to allow them to do anything they want, Chiefs made adjustments at halftime. Chase Young might have been on his way to an MVP performance and was erased in the 2nd Half

Did Aiyuk even suit up?
Fire Steve Wilkes just like Arizona, easy to make him the scapegoat as always

-I'd be very leery of taking on the DC in San Fran right now, might want to just fill that spot internally at this point unless you can somehow pry Spags from KC by doubling his salary...you know owners can pay ANYTHING they want to the coaches, it comes directly out of their pockets but then you rest the market for the other 31

So let me ask this:

San Francisco has benefited more than any NFL team by losing minority coaches to other teams and gaining compensatory draft picks because of it. By firing one, do they lose a compensatory pick?

A few names I've seen thrown around on X

Mike Vrabel

Richard Sherman

Daniel Bullocks: 7 years with San Fran. Just finished his 1st season as defensive backs coach. He spent the previous four seasons as San Francisco's safeties coach (2019-22) after serving two years (2017-18) as assistant defensive backs coach.

That's right, NONE!

Did Aiyuk even suit up?
Fire Steve Wilkes just like Arizona, easy to make him the scapegoat as always
I don't think they are making him a scapegoat. Salah and Ryans were younger, gung ho type guys. Wilkes was an older, low key guy. Tried it for a year and decided to go another route.

It wouldn’t be bad to have an OC say “hey Kyle, we just went 3 & out on the last possession with 3 passes. Let’s try to establish the run a little on this possession. Even if it fails, let’s keep them honest.”
argument here though is who in the world would want that job? Shanahan doesn't seem like a guy to give up much control, the OC would be a dead duck sitting there. you could have an "offense advisor" like Lynn was, but again it may be tough to find someone who would be quality who would want that position, especially now

With that talent they have, for the 49ers D to have looked as bad as they did for much of the playoffs was a disaster. They eked out both games, but the defense was pretty pathetic in the wins over both GB and Detroit. They rebounded and play well for the bulk of the KC game, but ultimately you are going to have a hard time winning in the playoffs giving up 25 points a game (which is what they did over three playoff games), and when you have the talent they do, that's just not good enough.

I don’t think Kocurek wants it. Vrabel would be amazing. Belichick a fantasy. With this loaded roster and the history of recent 49er DCs getting head coaching gigs, it shouldn’t be hard to find a great DC.
why in the world would a guy like Vrabel take a job like that, with Shanahan as the head coach. Especially seeing how Wilkes is the scapegoat like he was the biggest reason they lost the SB.

So let me ask this:

San Francisco has benefited more than any NFL team by losing minority coaches to other teams and gaining compensatory draft picks because of it. By firing one, do they lose a compensatory pick?
No, they are not penalized for firing a coach.

Well, as a Cowboys' fan I think they should lose all their picks and play the 2024 season barefoot.

why in the world would a guy like Vrabel take a job like that, with Shanahan as the head coach. Especially seeing how Wilkes is the scapegoat like he was the biggest reason they lost the SB.

3rd and 4 at the 11 with the game on the line and Steve Wilkes calls a pass play without blocking Chris Jones. You have to fire the guy. Oh, wait.....that wasn't Wilkes' call? Huh.

With that talent they have, for the 49ers D to have looked as bad as they did for much of the playoffs was a disaster. They eked out both games, but the defense was pretty pathetic in the wins over both GB and Detroit. They rebounded and play well for the bulk of the KC game, but ultimately you are going to have a hard time winning in the playoffs giving up 25 points a game (which is what they did over three playoff games), and when you have the talent they do, that's just not good enough.

Losing Greenlaw killed them. Bosa had TEN QB pressures. They held KC to almost nothing in the 1st.

Wilkes, come to Dallas.

Wilks is the first DC under Shanahan to get fired, the other 2 left to get HC jobs. Wilks wasnt a scapegoat, he wasnt a good fit. With the talent they have on defense, why wouldn't a good coach want to go there? Theyre still an NFC powerhouse and SB contenders.

Wilks is the first DC under Shanahan to get fired, the other 2 left to get HC jobs. Wilks wasnt a scapegoat, he wasnt a good fit. With the talent they have on defense, why wouldn't a good coach want to go there? Theyre still an NFC powerhouse and SB contenders.

Oh good lord, he wasn't the reason they lost the Super Bowl.

Yeah maybe. I just think the SF defense is certainly not the reason they lost the SB. You may get a good one depending on how SF can sell it, guess we will see.

Yeah maybe. I just think the SF defense is certainly not the reason they lost the SB. You may get a good one depending on how SF can sell it, guess we will see.

Saleh and Ryans didn't win Super Bowls either. Wilkes was closer than either of them and yeah, that loss is on Kyle.

Users who are viewing this thread