What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers thread *** running it back in 2024 with 18 of 22 Super Bowl starters (2 Viewers)

What are you guys hoping happens tonight? Predictions?

I don't watch college so I got nothin.
I think they most likely trade back, if not I'd expect WR or a DL. Lynch's comments earlier this week did not make it seem like he was enamored with the top of the OL draft class.

I don't get it. Still top CBs on the board and they take a guy they couldve traded down for.
They needed WR. Seems like there was more value left at CB but my draft knowledge consists of listening to a handful of podcasts this week. Little surprised they didn’t go with the DT, Newton or whatever.

Great pick by the 49ers, even if Aiyuk might disagree.

Not really sure why Pearsall was rated so low, but this was a flaw in the consensus. Hes a crafty receiver who gets open against all different types of coverage. Meanwhile having combine numbers comparable to Julio Jones.

Love Pearsall, but surprised that he or Legette went first round. SF got a good football player though and probably planning on moving on from Deebo or Aiyuk after this season so they have to fill the cabinet.

It's an interesting pick for sure...the 49ers have a lot of gaps and wr is not one of them unless they are about to flip aiyuk or deebo. At this point he doesn't even play in front of jennings

Lots of mock drafters are upset that he went 10 picks before they thought he would, but it seems like people more in the know were higher on him than the draftniks.

Stats show about 30 % of first round picks go on to actually have a good career in the NFL - 70% mostly tank or end up as backups
There are no 'in the know' people

I actually like the pick. RGIII comped him to Kelce, which at 6’1, 190 I don’t really see - I think he meant he makes tough contested catches & has that dog in him.

But if the move is dealing Deebo, this makes a lot of sense. From his highlights he’s certainly comfortable running sweeps out of the backfield, he has burst, hands, YAC, looks like he runs good routes, too.

Imma let it breathe & see what the Niners do today before grading this pick. I’m kinda excited they didn’t go defense in such an offense-littered draft.

Lots of mock drafters are upset that he went 10 picks before they thought he would, but it seems like people more in the know were higher on him than the draftniks.

Stats show about 30 % of first round picks go on to actually have a good career in the NFL - 70% mostly tank or end up as backups
The whole thing is a crapshoot, but I still put more stock in the professional evaluators (including the top guys in the media) rather than the website writers who have been grinding tape for the last month who are doing most of the blogging on this stuff.

The whole thing is a crapshoot, but I still put more stock in the professional evaluators (including the top guys in the media) rather than the website writers who have been grinding tape for the last month who are doing most of the blogging on this stuff.

I suppose but just pointing out teams of people paid millions of $$$s who only have one job evaluating talent get it wrong 70% of the time

I was in let-down mode regardless because I really wanted Wiggins to fall but those bastages from Baltimore ruined that. Pearsall kind of surprised me but the more I read about him, warming up to the pick. Loved the CJ Stroud reaction when he was picked, https://youtube.com/shorts/ieAFo-YidnI?si=pk_3_5ZD9brIflII

Last edited:
I really wanted Wiggins to fall but those bastages from Baltimore ruined that.
Sorry :lol:
I'm not feeling a lot of sincerity here lol

Now, you'll probably take Rosegarden right in front of us round 2 :wall:
I'm close to positive Baltimore is taking OL tonight. I just don't know who, when, or how.

Listening to DeCosta & Harbaugh last night, they seemed to be saying there are a bunch of OL they like that will be available when they pick. Of course, the Ravens lie about everything, so take however many grains of salt as seems appropriate :lol:

Ricky Pearsall isn't shy about his talent and abilities.

"I’m very confident in my football abilities. I’m obviously a great athlete. I think highly of myself.

I’m one of the best receivers in the 2024 NFL Draft. That’s the simple way of putting things.

I’m a workhorse. I think I have that going for me. I’ve improved every single season. I’m a very consistent, detail-oriented worker. Like I said earlier, I’m an elite route-runner. I know how to set defenders up with my routes. I really understand the art of route-running."

Link

The more I read the more I'm on board with the pick. Pearsall makes his living over the middle where Shanahan loves to attack, and he has elite speed and hands.

Last edited:
Another thought that strikes me is they run it back with Deebo, sign Aiyuk, and work in the new kid for their SB run, and that way they’ve built depth in the event of a Deebo injury, and they have a backup plan if/when they let Deebo walk next year to pay Purdy.

I’m not writing off keeping Deebo at all, though I could see another team offering them something they couldn’t resist in trade during the 2nd round.

If the 2nd round gets past pick 15 or so, I’m thinking they keep the band together.

How 49ers Super Bowl loss led to Pearsall draft selection:

I was fine with them taking a WR (not that I had a choice). With Purdy developing, they should be throwing the ball more and having another WR made sense. Even if they don't move Deebo (I have a feeling they are), Pearsall will help. I like Jennings and all, but he's more of a TE type.

My first response was definitely not positive, a f-bomb laced reaction. But feeling better about it now. Joked about the CJ Stroud reaction earlier, but that guy knows his WRs. He was the one who insisted the Texans take Tank Dell last year when most deemed Dell "too small".

According to @SumerSports, new 49ers WR Ricky Pearsall was second among all WRs in the draft in average separation and third in separation when the ball is in the air. He was WR7 in YAC.

Average Separation:

1. Xavier Worthy, 3.54 yards
2. Ricky Pearsall, 3.25 yards
3. Xavier Leggette, 3.03 yards

Worthy, Pearsall and Leggette went within 4 picks of each other at 28, 31, and 32.

"I don't think the 49ers trade either Brandon Aiyuk OR Deebo Samuel... Ricky Pearsall is a smart wide receiver. I think he's going to play as a rookie, which we haven't seen a lot."

- @jenniferleechan via @SteinyGuru957

The [Ricky Pearsall pick] is for now and the future... It means we can keep Brandon Aiyuk AND Deebo Samuel for one more year together and it gives you insurance for the future."

- Steiny via @SteinyGuru957.

SF moves back one pick in trade with KC and is now picking at 64.

Chiefs get No. 63 and a sixth (211) from 49ers.

49ers get No. 64 and a 5th (173)

Nice jump from 211 to 173 to move down one spot.

He seems a better real-world player than a fantasy player. I saw more drops than I expected. The workout numbers were incredible, but the production seemed lacking to me. He landed in a good place, though. He had some wow catches, and his body adjustment is good, but for being as great as he thinks he is, defensive backs seemed to be in his hip pocket facing press coverage. I did not see the offline burst; he appeared to play slower than his 40 time.

He seems a better real-world player than a fantasy player. I saw more drops than I expected. The workout numbers were incredible, but the production seemed lacking to me. He landed in a good place, though. He had some wow catches, and his body adjustment is good, but for being as great as he thinks he is, defensive backs seemed to be in his hip pocket facing press coverage. I did not see the offline burst; he appeared to play slower than his 40 time.
I thought I saw a stat that stated he had 2 drops his entire collegiate career? Most “experts” I’ve seen say his hands are exceptional. Just surprised by that part of your comment but I haven’t seen much tape on him.

49ers select Florida State CB Renardo Green with the last pick in the second round -- 14 pass break-ups last season, the most in the ACC..

go watch the LSU-FSU tape

Green is nasty
  • v Malik Nabers - 5 targets, 2 catches, 20 yards, 1 INT, 1 PBU
little grabby but very physical corner who is great in man coverage

I mean really great
From the Athletic: “Overall, Green is a polarizing prospect among NFL teams, because he doesn’t have desired size, speed or ball-tracking skills and won’t be a fit for every scheme. ” sounds awesome

I thought I saw a stat that stated he had 2 drops his entire collegiate career? Most “experts” I’ve seen say his hands are exceptional. Just surprised by that part of your comment but I haven’t seen much tape on him.
I reviewed two game tapes, South Carolina / LSU 2023, and all catches and targets from 2023. I counted at least four. I have not done anything with his 2022, but I have a full-time job, so I typically go through the recent season unless there is a reason to look at 2022. Here are all the catches and targets from 2023. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnmGTQisFqA&t=629s

If there is an injury or I don't get a feel for a player, I'll go further back. South Carolina was his highest-production game: 10 catches/166 yards and one touchdown. South Carolina played a lot of off-coverage. He is talented. I think he is talented. I did not think he was going in the first round, but he did, so there is that. LOL. He has some really good body adjustments. The QB play did not do him a lot of justice.

Last edited:
49ers trade up.

49ers receive: 86th overall pick
Eagles receive: 94th overall pick and a fourth-round pick (132 overall)

With the 86th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft the 49ers select Kansas OT Dominick Puni

49ers select Florida State CB Renardo Green with the last pick in the second round -- 14 pass break-ups last season, the most in the ACC..

go watch the LSU-FSU tape

Green is nasty
  • v Malik Nabers - 5 targets, 2 catches, 20 yards, 1 INT, 1 PBU
little grabby but very physical corner who is great in man coverage

I mean really great
From the Athletic: “Overall, Green is a polarizing prospect among NFL teams, because he doesn’t have desired size, speed or ball-tracking skills and won’t be a fit for every scheme. ” sounds awesome

Most of the league plays quarters / quarters half. If your DC favors press man he's the guy. Def a flavor of CB who doesn't fit every scheme.

PFF: "Green is a calm and confident man-coverage cornerback with CB2 potential for a team that likes to play press coverage."

Lance Zierlein draft profile at NFL.com

Rakestraw, widely mocked to the Lions at 1.29 a few months ago, was CB6 - went 2.61. Green is consensus CB7 (2.64) so these are chalk picks that are both great from a scheme fit perspective.

I like the draft so far. Potential impact player in Pearsall and guys who seemingly have the ability to contribute next year in Green and Puni. They are all a bit older, hopefully that means more mature? Puni is 24 and Pearsall and Green will turn 24 in September and November, respectively.

It’s a little disappointing reading all these pick recaps and realizing everyone currently slated to start ahead of them on the roster is a FA after next year (Banks, Feliciano, Ward, Lenoir, Aiyuk, Jennings, Deebo [functionally]). Next offseason is going to be rough.

Lombardi:

The 49ers have needed to add a safety and they do so in the 4th round, drafting Wake Forest's Malik Mustapha — one of the best run defenders in the draft at the position.

Mustapha is a ball of muscle at 5-10, 210 pounds. 4.5 40... he didn't commit a single penalty over 4 years in college.

Also: gunner experience. Special teams will be important to make a crowded SF 53-man roster

Love what I'm reading about Mustapha. Some opinions:

Steal for the 49ers with Malik Mustapha. Violent player and maybe the best tackler in the class. Explosive downhill missile

Wake Strong Safety. Best Tackling DB in the class. Attacks downhill at a high level. Great anticipation. Smart angles. Solid pick.

Malik Mustapha is my #1 safety in the 2024 class. Outstanding form tackler who plays with controlled violence all the time. Awesome vs the run. Can play all over. Not a ball hawk as a deep safety, but his range is underrated.

Malik Mustapha is a bargain for SF. The dude can flat out play physical DB football.

New 49ers S Malik Mustapha was especially strong in coverage for the Demon Deacons in 2023. He held opposing QBs to a 32% completion rate, which was sixth best in FBS among safeties with a minimum of 400 snaps. He allowed one touchdown in 304 coverage snaps.

Malik Mustapha's grades via PFF in 2023:

Run Defense: 96th percentile
Run Stop: 95th percentile
Slot Coverage: 90th percentile

The 49ers have added a physical safety to help them in run support and even in coverage. Versatile defender.

Users who are viewing this thread