What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Save $ on cell service -- Ting Mobile / Solavei (+ other MVNOs) (2 Viewers)

Google Voice -- Do you have any experience with GV?

I understand you can port any existing number to GV and it will work with forwarding to a cell on any MVNO. This can be useful if you are testing different MVNOs to see what is best, you can keep the same phone number and set it to forward any call to it to the MVNO cell phone number. So in theory, you give the old number (the one you ported to GV), or you can get a new Google Voice number and give it out, to friends/contacts and when they dial it forwards to whatever generic number that came with your phone. When you call them the other person sees the old number and not the generic number that came with your MVNO phone activation. At least that's how I understand it.

My question is what about when someone dials the MVNO number or sends a text to that number, does the phone ring?

Example: The number I want to keep because I've had it for 10 years is (555)555-1111. This is the # I want friends to dial to reach me. This # is ported to Google Voice. I then buy a prepaid phone from Straight Talk or Ting, I don't want to port my number to this phone because I'm not sure if I will keep the service and don't want to keep having to port, etc. So I get a new number from ST or Ting with the phone (say... (555) 556-2222). I can then forward my # (ported to GV) to this new phone and callers see (555) 555-1111 on their caller ID, not the new number (say... (555) 556-2222).

My question is... what happens when/if someone dials or texts (555) 556-2222? Will my Ting/ST phone receive it?

I can imagine a scenario where the new number I get is a number someone else had before and let their prepaid phone plan expire so that number went back into the "pool" and I end up getting assigned to my phone. What if it was previously used by some jackwagon who creditors were after and now I am getting those unwanted calls/texts that are meant for him?

Is that possible, likely?

I've used GV as long as I have been prepaid... I have not used my 556-2222 number for anything other than re-upping my plan each month. I have not given it to anyone, nor sent any texts from it. For the 1st 30 days or so, i did get random out of state calls on it looking for someone else, but that has (magically) stopped.

My question is what about when someone dials the MVNO number or sends a text to that number, does the phone ring?
Yes

My question is... what happens when/if someone dials or texts (555) 556-2222? Will my Ting/ST phone receive it?
Yes

Is that possible, likely?
Yes/No

Thanks Jaysus... Do you use your GV number or did you port in your old cell number? Porting in a cell is $20 at google. A new number is free. I don't care much about keeping my current cell #, so will likely use the GV number.

So if someone calls 556-2222 (prepaid generic #) I can just let it go to voicemail on the phone, or just ignore it, because I haven't given it out to anyone. ?

I wish I could block the caller using GV, but GV can only forward out, not the other way around I guess. So the call into 556-2222 will have nothing to do with GV, yes?

When you dial out using your prepaid phone, does the receiver see the call coming from your GV number or the prepaid phone #?

I appreciate your insights, it is a great help.

Thanks Jaysus... Do you use your GV number or did you port in your old cell number? Porting in a cell is $20 at google. A new number is free. I don't care much about keeping my current cell #, so will likely use the GV number.

Both, I paid the $20 to port mu cell #, and use that on my cell. I use the free one as a "virtual home number" - Schools and Doctors are the only one with that number, and it rings both my wife and my cell phones.

So if someone calls 556-2222 (prepaid generic #) I can just let it go to voicemail on the phone, or just ignore it, because I haven't given it out to anyone. ?

Yes

I wish I could block the caller using GV, but GV can only forward out, not the other way around I guess.

You may be able to block it with your prepaid carrier? I wouldn't worry about that unless it happenes though, and even then, i would just get a new SIM card in that case anyway

So the call into 556-2222 will have nothing to do with GV, yes?

Yes

When you dial out using your prepaid phone, does the receiver see the call coming from your GV number or the prepaid phone #?

You have the option - I have it set up to show my GV number

Above in bold

I'm done for the day, but can answer more GV questions later if you have them ;)

Both, I paid the $20 to port mu cell #, and use that on my cell. I use the free one as a "virtual home number" - Schools and Doctors are the only one with that number, and it rings both my wife and my cell phones.

Yes

I wish I could block the caller using GV, but GV can only forward out, not the other way around I guess.

You may be able to block it with your prepaid carrier? I wouldn't worry about that unless it happenes though, and even then, i would just get a new SIM card in that case anyway

So the call into 556-2222 will have nothing to do with GV, yes?

Yes

You have the option - I have it set up to show my GV number

Above in bold

I'm done for the day, but can answer more GV questions later if you have them ;)
Excellent, thanks.

Does texting work the same way? i.e. when I text from my cell does it show my GV # as the "From" number to the recipient?

Have you experienced any type of latency with texts since it has to go through the GV platform (using the GV mobile app I presume)?

Same thing with your text number.

I have not noticed a delay with SMS... But I don't text much (I use Hangouts or Gmail).

P.S. there is currently limited MMS support with Google Voice, but I expect that to change soon.

Jaysus said:

I have not noticed a delay with SMS... But I don't text much (I use Hangouts or Gmail).

P.S. there is currently limited MMS support with Google Voice, but I expect that to change soon.
I'm not concerned with MMS. If someone sends me a pic I ask they send it to my gmail. I think I'll try GV out for awhile. My main concern is filtering calls that come to the generic prepaid number, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Thanks!

Hi Hulk, I've got another one for ya... A couple living at 20755. They currently share one flip phone, a Kyocera, they pay $20/month unlimited talk onl, through Virgin Mobile. They have been given an used iPhone 4. They think their be good with 500MB, and would like unlimited talk and light text. They will get rid of the flip phone. They have no preference on carriers.

Thanks!

Z

I'm not concerned with MMS. If someone sends me a pic I ask they send it to my gmail. I think I'll try GV out for awhile. My main concern is filtering calls that come to the generic prepaid number, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Thanks!
Jayrock, I did this - ported my old Verizon number to GV, and now forward that GV to my phone. The MVNO I use is Solavei, so I have a Solavei phone number as well. I never use that number. When you do everything up front (port a number, forward the number, set up your phone, etc), you can choose which number you dial out or text from. My friends all see my old/GV number when I call or text. To use GV, you'll need the GV app. Texts will use data instead of text points with your carrier.

Oh, and I've never had a random call to my Solavei number.

I was nervous at first about using GV (voice quality? speed of texts?) but honestly have had zero problems with it. Good luck!

Cheers,

Z

Hi Hulk, I've got another one for ya... A couple living at 20755. They currently share one flip phone, a Kyocera, they pay $20/month unlimited talk onl, through Virgin Mobile. They have been given an used iPhone 4. They think their be good with 500MB, and would like unlimited talk and light text. They will get rid of the flip phone. They have no preference on carriers.

Thanks!

Z
they're okay paying more?

Thanks!
Jayrock, I did this - ported my old Verizon number to GV, and now forward that GV to my phone. The MVNO I use is Solavei, so I have a Solavei phone number as well. I never use that number. When you do everything up front (port a number, forward the number, set up your phone, etc), you can choose which number you dial out or text from. My friends all see my old/GV number when I call or text. To use GV, you'll need the GV app. Texts will use data instead of text points with your carrier.

I was nervous at first about using GV (voice quality? speed of texts?) but honestly have had zero problems with it. Good luck!

Cheers,

Z
Thanks for this post. When you say "texts will use data instead of text points with your carrier", do you mean if I use the GV app to text from (from the app)... and that is from anywhere or only when I am connected to wifi? I understand I don't use text points when I am connected to wifi, like when I'm at home. But I thought I used text points when I'm out and not connected to wifi.

Are you saying the GV app enables me to use data (google servers?) instead of points when I text through it, no matter if I'm connected to wifi or out on the highway somewhere?

And what carrier was the iPhone 4 from?
This will determine which carriers it would/could work with, so its an important tidbit.

If its Verizon or Sprint, they'll be extremely limited as to where they can activate it.

If its from AT&T, it'll work on AT&T and Tmobile, but they may be limited to only 2G on TMobile depending on their location.

If its from T-Mobile, it'll work on both TMo and AT&T no sweat.

Either way, their unlimited minutes + data requirement is going to pretty much double their cost.

Assuming its from either AT&T or T-Mobile, then their best option would be one of these 3:

AirVoice Wireless (AT&T Coverage): Unlimited Calls/Texts, 500 MB data, free roaming on T-Mo's towers, for $40.

PureTalk Wireless (AT&T Coverage): Unlimited Calls/Texts, 1000 MB of data, NO roaming, for $43.95

Spot Mobile (T-Mobile Coverage): Unlimited Calls/Texts, 500 MB of data, roaming on AT&T's towers available but costs extra $, for $39.99

Thanks!

Cheers,

Z
Thanks for this post. When you say "texts will use data instead of text points with your carrier", do you mean if I use the GV app to text from (from the app)... and that is from anywhere or only when I am connected to wifi? I understand I don't use text points when I am connected to wifi, like when I'm at home. But I thought I used text points when I'm out and not connected to wifi.

Are you saying the GV app enables me to use data (google servers?) instead of points when I text through it, no matter if I'm connected to wifi or out on the highway somewhere?
GV sends text messages over data, either wifi or 2G/3G/4G data if you're away from your wifi.

If you exclusively use the GV app for texting, you'll never be charged for a text message by your carrier.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Z

GV sends text messages over data, either wifi or 2G/3G/4G data if you're away from your wifi.

If you exclusively use the GV app for texting, you'll never be charged for a text message by your carrier.
Thanks, that is interesting.

7 months on Ting now. Haven't had a bill over $50 yet. Was paying $190 per month with AT&T.

Money saved so far? Invested $600 into phones and setup. $140 * 7 = $980. Net saved in 7 months = close to $400 .

JayRok> I found a decent GV guide on Reddit if you are interested... it gets pretty detailed into SIP calling, but you can ignore that part.

Here it is: link

Where is the best place to look for a ting ready phone without going through Ting, ebay/craigslist?
Probably.

The Nexus 5 supposedly will have Sprint radio, so you might be able to scoop that up from Google Play new. Rumored to cost $349 and due out next week.

And what carrier was the iPhone 4 from?
This will determine which carriers it would/could work with, so its an important tidbit.

If its Verizon or Sprint, they'll be extremely limited as to where they can activate it.

If its from AT&T, it'll work on AT&T and Tmobile, but they may be limited to only 2G on TMobile depending on their location.

If its from T-Mobile, it'll work on both TMo and AT&T no sweat.

Either way, their unlimited minutes + data requirement is going to pretty much double their cost.

Assuming its from either AT&T or T-Mobile, then their best option would be one of these 3:

AirVoice Wireless (AT&T Coverage): Unlimited Calls/Texts, 500 MB data, free roaming on T-Mo's towers, for $40.

PureTalk Wireless (AT&T Coverage): Unlimited Calls/Texts, 1000 MB of data, NO roaming, for $43.95

Spot Mobile (T-Mobile Coverage): Unlimited Calls/Texts, 500 MB of data, roaming on AT&T's towers available but costs extra $, for $39.99
Thanks Hulk - I'm waiting to hear back from them on the carrier of the iPhone 4. They'd be ok paying more, for the data option, they just don't want to pay the ridiculous prices they've heard about.

If they weren't getting the iPhone 4, what would you recommend in the way of getting a smart phone? Nexus 4 or 5?

Cheers,

Z

I'd say whatever Nexus's Google releases next week will likely be very strong values. Lots of rumors, wait and see I guess.

IPhone is not remotely worth it's price IMO

Hey Hulk, you advised me at FFToday to come check out this thread and you would help me out. Here I am. :)

As I said in the other thread, I'm just looking for a low cost plan for my father. Just calling and text, no data. He lives in Coeur D' Alene, ID. I would also be curious about options in western Montana.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Hulk, you advised me at FFToday to come check out this thread and you would help me out. Here I am. :)

As I said in the other thread, I'm just looking for a low cost plan for my father. Just calling and text, no data. He lives in Coeur D' Alene, ID. I would also be curious about options in western Montana.

Thanks in advance.
Do you know how many minutes and texts approximately? And the zip code. Boonies Idaho and Montana has me thinking coverage will be the limiting factor for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks in advance.
Do you know how many minutes and texts approximately? And the zip code. Boonies Idaho and Montana has me thinking coverage will be the limiting factor for him.
I would guess he probably uses less than 200 minutes a month. Texts are minimal. I am not even sure he knows how to text, but he does receive them.

Zip Code is 83814. I was afraid that coverage might be a problem. As far as I know Verizon fairly well dominates our market but they don't seem to have many options in this kind of plan.

Parrot,

Coverage looks better than I anticipated:

Coverage Reviews for Coeur D Alene, ID 83814 Reviews Towers [SIZE=7pt]FILTER:[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] AT&T[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] SPRINT[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] T-MOBILE[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] VERIZON[/SIZE]
1. Verizon
3.33 Rating | 36 Reviews
Towers | Map 2. T-Mobile
2.5 Rating | 10 Reviews
Towers | Map 3. AT&T
1.71 Rating | 17 Reviews
Towers | Map 4. Sprint
1.58 Rating | 12 Reviews
Towers | Map Sprint is the worst, but from reading the individual reviews, it seems like most complaints are about data and not voice. Since your Dad doesn't use data, I'm going to include MVNOs on Sprint here (because they're cheap!).

So, for a min of 200 minutes and lets say 100 texts, the cheapest you'll find is:

Chit Chat Wireless (on Sprint's Network): 250 minutes, 1000 texts, no data for $9.99 a month. They have free roaming so if you're outside of Sprint's range you can call from Verizon's towers for free.

If you want to stay on Verizon, the best bet is Page Plus Cellular. Their lowest plan is 250 minutes, 250 texts for $12. If you end up roaming on Sprint's towers though, there is a roaming charge.

Both look like solid options. He most likely will be able to keep his current phone with Page Plus too. You'd have to call them to be sure though, they don't post public lists of Verizon phones that are elligible.

Parrot,

Coverage Reviews for Coeur D Alene, ID 83814Reviews Towers[SIZE=7pt]FILTER:[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] AT&T[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] SPRINT[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] T-MOBILE[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] VERIZON[/SIZE]1. Verizon

3.33 Rating | 36 Reviews

Towers | Map 2. T-Mobile

2.5 Rating | 10 Reviews

Towers | Map 3. AT&T

1.71 Rating | 17 Reviews

Towers | Map 4. Sprint

1.58 Rating | 12 Reviews

Towers | Map

Sprint is the worst, but from reading the individual reviews, it seems like most complaints are about data and not voice. Since your Dad doesn't use data, I'm going to include MVNOs on Sprint here (because they're cheap!).

So, for a min of 200 minutes and lets say 100 texts, the cheapest you'll find is:

Chit Chat Wireless (on Sprint's Network): 250 minutes, 1000 texts, no data for $9.99 a month. They have free roaming so if you're outside of Sprint's range you can call from Verizon's towers for free.

If you want to stay on Verizon, the best bet is Page Plus Cellular. Their lowest plan is 250 minutes, 250 texts for $12. If you end up roaming on Sprint's towers though, there is a roaming charge.

Both look like solid options. He most likely will be able to keep his current phone with Page Plus too. You'd have to call them to be sure though, they don't post public lists of Verizon phones that are elligible.
Thanks for all the info Hulk. I think I like the free roaming option. Can you tell me what other plans they have available? I might add more minutes just to be on the safe side.

Parrot,

Coverage Reviews for Coeur D Alene, ID 83814Reviews Towers[SIZE=7pt]FILTER:[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] AT&T[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] SPRINT[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] T-MOBILE[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] VERIZON[/SIZE]1. Verizon

3.33 Rating | 36 Reviews

Towers | Map 2. T-Mobile

2.5 Rating | 10 Reviews

Towers | Map 3. AT&T

1.71 Rating | 17 Reviews

Towers | Map 4. Sprint

1.58 Rating | 12 Reviews

Towers | Map

Sprint is the worst, but from reading the individual reviews, it seems like most complaints are about data and not voice. Since your Dad doesn't use data, I'm going to include MVNOs on Sprint here (because they're cheap!).

Thanks for all the info Hulk. I think I like the free roaming option. Can you tell me what other plans they have available? I might add more minutes just to be on the safe side.
ChitChat's next plan up is unlimited calls and unlimited texts for $19.99 a month.

(HULK) said:
parrot said:
(HULK) said:
Parrot,

3.33 Rating | 36 Reviews

Towers | Map 2. T-Mobile

2.5 Rating | 10 Reviews

Towers | Map 3. AT&T

1.71 Rating | 17 Reviews

Towers | Map 4. Sprint

1.58 Rating | 12 Reviews

Towers | Map

ChitChat's next plan up is unlimited calls and unlimited texts for $19.99 a month.
Thanks again.

Can anyone advise me on how to sell my unlimited data plan on Verizon before I switch to something else? Is there any risk? The line is a sub-line to a family plan and the contract is up in mid-December.

Can anyone advise me on how to sell my unlimited data plan on Verizon before I switch to something else? Is there any risk? The line is a sub-line to a family plan and the contract is up in mid-December.
I don't know a thing about this unfortunately. You can sell the plan?

Just got an email for Ting, the iPhone is coming very soon. They're beta testing the iPhone 4 and 4s on it right now.

Currently I have 3-smartphones on a Verizon 6GB shared data, unlimited talk/text plan (me, wife, oldest daughter) I have another daughter coming of phone age and bugging for one for Christmas.

My phone=Galaxy S4, contract up 08/15

Wife's phone=iPhone 4 (broken screen and home button) contract up 01/14

Daughter's phone-iPhone 5 contract up 12/14

Zip code = 49442

Unlimited text is a must... with the 3 smart phones right now, we get real close to the 6GB of data allowance each month.. 15yr old daughter uses the most obviously..

So, I'd be looked at buying 1-new phone without contract and buying an additional phone for my wife in January and moving her off the Verizon contract..

Coverage wise, you look pretty good, assuming you were okay with what Verizon was providing you with (ranked 3rd in your area, with Sprint closely behind):

Coverage Reviews for Muskegon, MI 49442 Reviews Towers [SIZE=7pt]FILTER:[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] AT&T[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] SPRINT[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] T-MOBILE[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] VERIZON[/SIZE]
1. AT&T
2.7 Rating | 20 Reviews
Towers | Map 2. T-Mobile
2.57 Rating | 7 Reviews
Towers | Map 3. Verizon
1.98 Rating | 47 Reviews
Towers | Map 4. Sprint
1.91 Rating | 44 Reviews
Towers | Map To price this out the best, I need to know what each individual line uses. You can best guess it if you want, but your bills should have the exact details:

Your phone: ________ mins, ______ data

Wife's phone: ________mins, ______ data

15 year old: ______ mins, ______ data

Younger kid estimates too.

We can put every phone on unlimited minutes and still save money, but sometimes that is just overkill and you might be missing an opportunity to save even more.

Just got an email for Ting, the iPhone is coming very soon. They're beta testing the iPhone 4 and 4s on it right now.
Been waiting for this. This would be great.

BTW, in the 3 months since switching the 3 phones over to Ting, my bills have been $48, $50, and now $40, previously this was ~$120/Month.

I have data turned off and they just use Wifi and have had no data changes the last 2 months. Crazy how much this is saving my family.

I currently have an iphone 4 through Verizon, based on my understanding, I will not be able to bring this device to ting. What kind of iphone 4/s would I need that would be compatible? Assume I'd have to sell mine and get another.

What happens to all the apps I purchased? Do I lose these?

Coverage wise, you look pretty good, assuming you were okay with what Verizon was providing you with (ranked 3rd in your area, with Sprint closely behind):

Coverage Reviews for Muskegon, MI 49442Reviews Towers[SIZE=7pt]FILTER:[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] AT&T[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] SPRINT[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] T-MOBILE[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] VERIZON[/SIZE]1. AT&T

2.7 Rating | 20 Reviews

Towers | Map 2. T-Mobile

2.57 Rating | 7 Reviews

Towers | Map 3. Verizon

1.98 Rating | 47 Reviews

Towers | Map 4. Sprint

1.91 Rating | 44 Reviews

Towers | Map

To price this out the best, I need to know what each individual line uses. You can best guess it if you want, but your bills should have the exact details:

Your phone: 68 mins, 1.504 data

Wife's phone: 271 mins, .401 data

15 year old: 182 mins, 3.822 data

Younger kid estimate ... 50 mins, 2.0 - 2.5 data

We can put every phone on unlimited minutes and still save money, but sometimes that is just overkill and you might be missing an opportunity to save even more.
Those are from the current bill due...and estimate for the new phone

I currently have an iphone 4 through Verizon, based on my understanding, I will not be able to bring this device to ting. What kind of iphone 4/s would I need that would be compatible? Assume I'd have to sell mine and get another.

Nope, you'd need an unlocked Sprint iPhone. Ting will be selling them used (and probably new) once they get the iPhone up and running on their service.

You'd need to re-download your apps to your new phone, but you wouldn't have to re-purchase them thankfully.

Coverage Reviews for Muskegon, MI 49442Reviews Towers[SIZE=7pt]FILTER:[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] AT&T[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] SPRINT[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] T-MOBILE[/SIZE] [SIZE=7pt] VERIZON[/SIZE]1. AT&T

2.7 Rating | 20 Reviews

Towers | Map 2. T-Mobile

2.57 Rating | 7 Reviews

Towers | Map 3. Verizon

1.98 Rating | 47 Reviews

Towers | Map 4. Sprint

1.91 Rating | 44 Reviews

Towers | Map

To price this out the best, I need to know what each individual line uses. You can best guess it if you want, but your bills should have the exact details:

You care if I put everyone on different carriers? It might be cheapest.

Lets see, you and younger kid both on T-Mo's prepaid $30 plan. 100 minutes, unlimited texts, 5 GB of data a piece. 15 year old on Solavei: $49 for unlimited minutes, texts, and 4 GB of data (FYI Straight Talk "unlimited" data is officially capped at 2.5GB, wouldn't be enough for her). Wife on Virgin Mobile. $35 for 300 minutes, unlimited text, and 2.5 GBs of data. Virgin use's Sprint's network. Solavei use's Tmobile's Network. Grand total is $144 + taxes/fees.

If you want an "all in one place" solution (which might not make sense unless you switch everyone all at once), you'd go with T-mobile's new family plan. You'd spend $140 for each line having unlimited talk/text, 1 line having 4.5 GB of data, 2 with 2.5 GB of data, and 1 with 500 MB of data.

2.7 Rating | 20 Reviews

Towers | Map 2. T-Mobile

2.57 Rating | 7 Reviews

Towers | Map 3. Verizon

1.98 Rating | 47 Reviews

Towers | Map 4. Sprint

1.91 Rating | 44 Reviews

Towers | Map

Lets see, you and younger kid both on T-Mo's prepaid $30 plan. 100 minutes, unlimited texts, 5 GB of data a piece. 15 year old on Solavei: $49 for unlimited minutes, texts, and 4 GB of data (FYI Straight Talk "unlimited" data is officially capped at 2.5GB, wouldn't be enough for her). Wife on Virgin Mobile. $35 for 300 minutes, unlimited text, and 2.5 GBs of data. Virgin use's Sprint's network. Solavei use's Tmobile's Network. Grand total is $144 + taxes/fees.

If you want an "all in one place" solution (which might not make sense unless you switch everyone all at once), you'd go with T-mobile's new family plan. You'd spend $140 for each line having unlimited talk/text, 1 line having 4.5 GB of data, 2 with 2.5 GB of data, and 1 with 500 MB of data.
Can either my Samsung S4 or daughter's iPhone 5 be switched to this?? I'd consider paying a penalty just to get away from contracts..

2.7 Rating | 20 Reviews

Towers | Map 2. T-Mobile

2.57 Rating | 7 Reviews

Towers | Map 3. Verizon

1.98 Rating | 47 Reviews

Towers | Map 4. Sprint

1.91 Rating | 44 Reviews

Towers | Map

Can either my Samsung S4 or daughter's iPhone 5 be switched to this?? I'd consider paying a penalty just to get away from contracts..
Nope. Verizon phones are pretty limited in where they can go. Especially the latest/greatest ones.

Good news is though, once you terminate your contract and get them unlocked, you can sell them for a decent amount still.

Nope, you'd need an unlocked Sprint iPhone. Ting will be selling them used (and probably new) once they get the iPhone up and running on their service.

You'd need to re-download your apps to your new phone, but you wouldn't have to re-purchase them thankfully.
No, you will be able to re install the apps from the app store as long as you use the same iAccount on the new phone
Thanks guys! That's what I thought.

If I decide to switch to Ting, can I really sell my Unlimited Data Plan from Verizon? I saw something about this and I see quite a few on Ebay that have sold for around $400.

Is this legit?

If I decide to switch to Ting, can I really sell my Unlimited Data Plan from Verizon? I saw something about this and I see quite a few on Ebay that have sold for around $400.

Is this legit?
No clue. I think I've heard of it before, but I know no details. Its a blind spot for me.

Is this legit?
I'm reading that it's not only possible, but appears to be commonly done. I'm hesitant to use eBay, because I can see getting screwed pretty easily, but I see a local craigslist listing as well. It may take a joint trip to a Verizon store, but I believe it will only require an AOL (assumption of liability) form filled out by the buyer. I'm not sure how to keep numbers, though. (and I don't know what complications a corporate cell phone plan will add)

Users who are viewing this thread