What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scare your Portis-owning friends! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hee hee! I just got a great reaction to that from my week one opponent who owns Portis. Scared the crap out of him! When I finally told him it was a fake, his email reply was simply "I hate you." I Love it!

I sent this to by friend and waited 5 min and checked the waiver moves in out league and sure enough within that time frame he had already picked up Betts. Needless to say I can not post the response on here when I told him it was a scam.He did admit that it was a good one. That is why I need one for McCallester so we can send it to the comissioner that owns him.

Has anyone been able to make others, unfortunately, I'm the one who owns Portis, so the joke kind of went as far as right here for my league.

Just sent it to my buddy. Boy, guys get a little uptight when they think their best player is hurt. :P I let him off the hook pretty quickly though...didn't want him jumping off any bridges.

Just sent it to my buddy. Boy, guys get a little uptight when they think their best player is hurt. :P I let him off the hook pretty quickly though...didn't want him jumping off any bridges.
I did the same thing....he was asking to pick up Betts, it took everything I had to not laugh. I finally caved he got real :hot:

worked to perfection in my league...i was skeptical cause anyone with web smarts would notice the URL but this guy didnt realize and bit hard!Picked up betts. and then posted :cry: about his players always getting injured.Just posted that it was a scam about 2 minutes ago, he will be :hot: .Good Times!

That's GREAT! .... I think I'll send it along to the fella that wouldn't trade Portis to me this week with a "thank you for rejecting my trade offer" note!! :P :thumbup:

Is this really fake?

I mean the url,

http://nfl.8m.net/teamslstorylWASl562678.htm

looks so darn real. :rolleyes:
No kidding. Good idea in theory, but it would have been nice if the author had studied English at some point after the 8th grade. In addition to numerous misplaced punctuation marks, we have some obvious spelling errors and word omissions.
will miss 8-12 weeks of the 2004 season season...
Portis gained over 1,500 yards in each of his first two seasons, and was suppose to rectify a poor running game...
Ladell can handle it why I am gone.
Portis will be placed on the Physically unable to Perform (PUP) to fill up the roster spot vacated by his injury.
It's not a "PUP"... it's a PUP list.Picayune crap to be sure, but no details are too small if you are trying to pull off something like this. Nobody who works for NFL.com or the Redskins website would make these types of egregious grammatical errors.

I have to fess up - I bought it hook, line and sinker. The 404 error when you click on Portis' name gave it away.

Oh that was fun!A guy and I are in 2 different leagues together. He commishes one (where I own Portis) and I commish the other (where he owns Portis). I forwarded the URL to him and said that "we" were in for a long season, and I hear the waiver wire calling my name.He just called my cell to ask if the story was true. He was on the league website ready to grab Betts.I confessed that it was fake, but if he would've dropped Portis, I was gonna grab him, just to add insult to injury. I would've reversed all the transactions later as Commish, but it was fun while it lasted.

OMG!! CBS Sportsline caught wind of this and is running with it! It's on their homepage now!http://CBS.Sportsline.com :fishy:
Oh, somebody's gonna get fired.My league commish has Portis. I emailed him the fake story link about 30 minutes ago. He panicked, did a little research, then emailed me back saying "ha ha, very funny". A few minutes later, he emailed me back, freaking out again. I had to call him to tell him it was a fake. CBS sportsline has now removed the headline. Nice insider info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Just saw the same thing on CBSSportsline Breaking news per insider Devenay I think. Out 8 to 12.

Nobody who works for NFL.com or the Redskins website would make these types of egregious grammatical errors.
I tend to disagree slightly. I don't know the Skins writers, but there are many published reporters who would let many of these slip. Most likely, however, not all in the same article. Your point that they immediately lend doubt is so true.

"Portis will be placed on the Physically unable to Perform (PUP) to fill up the roster spot vacated by his injury."

That doesn't even make logical sense. leaving grammar aside.

Beat writers are a sorry bunch. I most definitely could believe that Mickey Spagnola (dallascowboys.com) had writtent his article. He is pretty awful.

man, this is confusingEDIT: they took it off of sportsline faster than they put it on

Last edited by a moderator:
holy wow!!! portis owners across the country are playing in traffic this very second....

Still on the FF page if you have leuage Web site... Man some it either in lot of hot water or Portis owners are going to be crushed.

Devaney is the guy CBS credited as the source, so he wouldn't have been in the original article.He's probably collecting his things as we speak... :rotflmao:

WTF is going on? I was editing my lineup at sportsline and saw two notes...one stating Portis is gone 8-12 weeks in a weight room accident. The other stating Betts is starting.I had picked up Morris, so I dropped him for Betts because there's just too much confusion right now.I see the Portis note is gone now, but the Betts note is still there. What happened?

Here is a copy of the Betts report from CBS (they took the Portis one down too fast).Ladell Betts, RB WASNews: With Clinton Portis out eight to 12 weeks, Ladell Betts is expected to start for the Washington Redskins.Analysis: Betts sees a major increase in value with Portis out, so add him to your roster if possible.

OMG I almost shat myself when I went to my Sportsline site. I was pissed off that I didn't get an email from FootballGuys about the injury. That is some funny stuff (in retrospect). :bag:

My Brother N Law just called and let me know he heard Portis is out for 8-12 weeks on a sports radio show in Seattle. He doesnt play fantasy football so it must be so. Everyone is bumping up Betts but I think Gibbs might actually favor Rock Cartwright.

My Brother N Law just called and let me know he heard Portis is out for 8-12 weeks on a sports radio show in Seattle. He doesnt play fantasy football so it must be so. Everyone is bumping up Betts but I think Gibbs might actually favor Rock Cartwright.
:lol: Here fishy fishy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread