What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scheffler Vs. San Diego (1 Viewer)

thatguy

Footballguy
Tony Scheffler has easily had more success against the Chargers than any other team. I realize it's a new coach and a new scheme, but it's not inconceivable to think his success might carry over (I'm sure McD is aware of his previous successes against this team). He is likely a free agent in most redraft leagues.

In five career games against the Chargers, Scheff has 18 receptions for 279 yards and 5 TDs (for an average of 3.6, 56, 1), including 11 rec. for 139 yards and 3 TD in two games last season.

If you're looking for a TE to cover a bye this week, I think you could do much worse than taking a chance on Scheffler and the upside he provides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also high on him this week, even with Orton. Monday Night game on top. Of course, I dont have alot of other options to go with....

Nice call. I was thinking about this thread when I saw him tearing up the Chargers last night. I, of course didn't follow any of this advice...but nice call!

Also, how sick was Scheffler's TD catch? That's one of the most athletic catches I've ever seen from a TE. The throw from Orton wasn't too shabby either.

Now does this continue (maybe not to this extent) or was this a one game flash in the pan?
That's a tough question to answer. Scheffler certainly has the skills to continue to produce - I don't think there is a better receiving TE in football. But that offense is built to spread the ball around and find the best one on one matchups. San Diego for whatever reason has a very hard time matching up with Scheffler, which is why he has always had success against them. There will be many other games where Marshall is the guy getting the love, also others where Royal will get the love, some games Stokeley and Gaffney will be the guys, and so on. I do think Scheffler will have some more very good games going forward, especially against San Diego again in a few weeks. But I think he'll be inconsistent week to week. What he is, and what most Denver players are now, is a role player. He will not be on a week to week basis an integral part of their gameplan ala guys like Gates and Wittne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now does this continue (maybe not to this extent) or was this a one game flash in the pan?
That's a tough question to answer. Scheffler certainly has the skills to continue to produce - I don't think there is a better receiving TE in football. But that offense is built to spread the ball around and find the best one on one matchups. San Diego for whatever reason has a very hard time matching up with Scheffler, which is why he has always had success against them. There will be many other games where Marshall is the guy getting the love, also others where Royal will get the love, some games Stokeley and Gaffney will be the guys, and so on. I do think Scheffler will have some more very good games going forward, especially against San Diego again in a few weeks. But I think he'll be inconsistent week to week. What he is, and what most Denver players are now, is a role player. He will not be on a week to week basis an integral part of their gameplan ala guys like Gates and Wittne.
I agree with this. Although his role does seem to be expanding over the past month or so. I think McDaniels has realized that this guy is a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. He's in a similar situation to Jamarcus Finley where Finley and Scheff are better receiving TEs and matchup nightmares, but they play behind or alongside guys like Daniel Graham and Donald Lee who are more proficient in the running/pass protection schemes.

Users who are viewing this thread