What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scoring Format - What Do You Like? (2 Viewers)

Which Scoring Format Do You Like Best?

• TD Only

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • TD + Points Per Yard

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • TD + Points Per Yard + Points Per Reception

Votes: 77 70.0%

• Total voters
The "realism" thing is a unicorn. Because if you want to do that then rosters should be: 1 super flex and 5 flex spots. Any yards gained should be the same regardless of how they are obtained. IE; passing, rushing, receiving, etc. Any DST should be IDP. That's still within the realm of possibilities (most sites can handle that). Me and a few buddies did a league like this (minus the high QB scoring and IDP) just as a fun/free. It was a 10 team but the results were terrible, IMO. When there is too many viable options it makes it too easy to replace. There's no positional scarcity and most games/weeks were decided by random variations in weekly stats. 

Fantasy football is game in itself now. To try and make it reflect "positive" real life football plays/production, while it may be fun trying to do, it will likely detract from the game of FF because the they aren't working towards the same goal or with the same dynamics. Yes, ideally your best fantasy players are the best players in the league and I think for the most part it does reflect this.

Back to PPR, I have no idea. There has been excellent points on both sides. I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts here and in Spiders thread. I think that once you look at balancing the league, rather than "properly" rewarding NFL players, PPR may make sense for some leagues. The goal for every league should be to allow for varying strategies without diluting the player pool. For example, you could have points for completions, receptions and rush attempts.

***Side note: I'm going to seemingly contradict myself but I do think scoring has to reflect what is actually happening on the field and I think bonus points for milestones (100 yards or whatever) adds too much luck into the game. It also restricts strategy. This is maybe for another thread to I won't go too much into that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "realism" thing is a unicorn. Because if you want to do that then rosters should be: 1 super flex and 5 flex spots. Any yards gained should be the same regardless of how they are obtained. IE; passing, rushing, receiving, etc. Any DST should be IDP. That's still within the realm of possibilities (most sites can handle that). Me and a few buddies did a league like this (minus the high QB scoring and IDP) just as a fun/free. It was a 10 team but the results were terrible, IMO. When there is too many viable options it makes it too easy to replace. There's no positional scarcity and most games/weeks were decided by random variations in weekly stats. 

Fantasy football is game in itself now. To try and make it reflect "positive" real life football plays/production, while it may be fun trying to do, it will likely detract from the game of FF because the they aren't working towards the same goal or with the same dynamics. Yes, ideally your best fantasy players are the best players in the league and I think for the most part it does reflect this.

Back to PPR, I have no idea. There has been excellent points on both sides. I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts here and in Spiders thread. I think that once you look at balancing the league, rather than "properly" rewarding NFL players, PPR may make sense for some leagues. The goal for every league should be to allow for varying strategies without diluting the player pool. For example, you could have points for completions, receptions and rush attempts.

***Side note: I'm going to seemingly contradict myself but I do think scoring has to reflect what is actually happening on the field and I think bonus points for milestones (100 yards or whatever) adds too much luck into the game. It also restricts strategy. This is maybe for another thread to I won't go too much into that.
Yeah, realism as in "this is going to be like a real football game" doesn't make sense at this point.  As many including you have mentioned, this a directly related, but in many ways separate game.  That's why I never really even cared if TDs were 6 points or not.  As soon as you start "scoring" yards, 6 pt TDs are fairly irrelevant, because FF score are not going to look like NFL scores.  Same thing with positions to some degree.  People have a huge problem with 2 QB leagues because it's not "realistic", but they can start two or more full time tailbacks without batting an eye (and have no linemen of course).  In my mind, you could easily do a small start 4 QB league if you wanted to.  It's just a numbers game based on trying to predict which players will do well.

But to me that is very different from the issues I have with PPR. My goal is simply to make it so that you want to predict which players actually do well - which is the original point of the game.  2 QBs don't cause a problem there and no scoring system that actually rewards a positive performance will be an issue either.  If FFB scores reach the thousands, so be it, as long as the best players produce the best scores.  And if you need to balance positions to make the game more fun, I am 100% on board.  But there are VERY EASY, more straightforward ways to do it.  You don't NEED to artificially inflate the value of a neutral football event, so why do it?  Change the value of things that DO have real value to a team.

Although the Benny Fowler and Arrelious Benn example I said is kind of an extreme, also realize its exactly what you are doing when you have these dynasty leagues where each team has 45 man rosters + taxi squads etc. etc. You  cause the more "fishy" type player to start examining things in a whole different light.  Thats why many of those leagues always seem to be "looking for a new owner or two" each year.
Don't know about that.  We replaced our first owner in 6+ years this off-season. 

That being said, I understand where you are coming from - and also play in "friends and family" leagues - but, as you note, they aren't the type of leagues that have much interest in tweaking rules or serious strategy and therefore not the focus of a discussion over what rules the posters in the Shark Pool *like*.  

Users who are viewing this thread