What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Season-Long FF, Stacking Players: Fact or Fiction? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Feeling feisty, so let’s get this semi-annual controversy started. :pickle:

I see it all the time here. “I went for the stack” by drafting X-QB & Y-WR/TE from the same team. More and more, actually. I even see some of the popular YouTube FF guys touting the stack during drafts, sometimes picking a lower ranked player over higher ranked options available to get the stack.

But does it really matter? We’ve discussed it here in the past and it’s always an interesting topic, so I figured we could revisit for 2023.

In daily formats, i get it - it can lead to monstrous days, sure. That’s where I acknowledge stacking works. You’re projecting big numbers against a weak defense for a single game, and you want as many pieces of that offense as possible. Fair.

But for season-long FF, does it matter at all?

I contend that it does not. All that matters is that your QB scores more points than your opponent’s QB, and that your WR scores more points than your opponent’s WR.

Is having the stack fun? It can be, sure. It’s psychologically awesome to get a “double TD”. It’s also psychologically devastating to an opponent to have a “double TD” score against them.

But is it worth any more than if any QB & any WR scores against them that day? Nope. It’s just a QB scoring & a WR scoring. You get 2 TD either way, plus yardage and the reception.

And one might even argue that having the “stack” could have more downside in season-long FF because you’re putting more eggs into the same basket. Going against the #1 pass defense with your stack? Bummer - probably wouldn’t do that by choice in a daily format.

There are opportunity costs to redraft stacking as well. Want the Mahomes/Kelce stack? That’ll likely cost you a 1st & a 2nd. Now your WR/RB & depth everywhere is gonna be ugly. One team in one of my NFC drafts took Kelce 1.06 & Mahomes 2.07. The rest of their team is rough.

So why do people “stack”?

Are you a stacker? Please explain what advantage you believe it gives you. No judgement - I just want to know if I’m missing something here. If it’s just “I like that team, I want as many pieces of that offense as I can get” then hey, I understand it, especially if you’re going within rankings/ADP to do so.

But other than having players you want to have, do you believe there’s an advantage to stacking as a strategy?

I don't seek it out but I won't avoid it if it's a good offense and the players fall to me.

One year, I stacked Matt Hasselbeck, Shaun Alexander, and whoever their WR1 was at the time and won the championship.
Agree.

If I like certain players, I take them regardless of if I have already drafted one or even two of their teammates. From a fun standpoint, I would love to stack Diggs and Allen or Chase and Burrow. Love it when they connect for a score and you get the double TD.

If I like certain players, I take them regardless of if I have already drafted one or even two of their teammates. From a fun standpoint, I would love to stack Diggs and Allen or Chase and Burrow. Love it when they connect for a score and you get the double TD.
Sure, of course. But do you believe it helps you to win more than say, having Allen+Chase, or Burrow+Diggs?

One year, I stacked Matt Hasselbeck, Shaun Alexander, and whoever their WR1 was at the time and won the championship.
But did you win because you had the stack, or because you had 3 top offensive players?

Probably the latter and the fact that they were stacked didn't matter. That's why I don't avoid it if it's a really good offense.

I don't think strategizing to stack is a worthwhile endeavor in normal FF situations. You're basing your entire draft strategy around relatively rare situations where you will need a stack to catch up to an opponent.

It does seem to matter in large field best ball formats though, at least that's what the experts say. It can give you the edge needed to put yourself ahead of thousands of players.

You're basing your entire draft strategy around relatively rare situations where you will need a stack to catch up to an opponent.
I'm skeptical it even helps in rare situations.

Hypothetical:
MNF, end of the scoring period.
I have a QB+WR stack (my WR2)
You have a QB and a WR (your WR2)

Who has the advantage?

Seems like a pretty value-neutral proposition if trying to pick a winner there. Really it comes down to whether your QB is better than my QB, or your WR is better than my WR.

Season-long production by teammates is correlated, which means that having teammates on your roster increases the variance of your team's season-long production. That means that your team is a bit more likely to have an extreme outcome - either extremely good or extremely bad - and a bit less likely to have a middling outcome.

If your team is in a league or format which rewards extreme outcomes (e.g. you're trying to get first out of 10,000 teams) then this matters a lot - this increased variance meaningfully increases your chances of finishing first out of 10,000 (it also meaningfully increases your chances of finishing last out of 10,000, but last isn't any different from 7,000th or even 3,000th in many of these big contests). If you're playing a format that is less about extreme outcomes (e.g. you're trying to get first out of 12 teams) then it matters less. If you're in a format that doesn't care at all about extreme outcomes (e.g. you're trying to get in the top half) then it doesn't matter at all.

Sure, of course. But do you believe it helps you to win more than say, having Allen+Chase, or Burrow+Diggs?
Not at all. Stacking is fun but don't think it helps vs equal players that aren't on the same team.

Best ball or tournaments I would say stacking helps where you're shooting for one big week.

A recent podcast I listened to had a mathematician on l(forget his name) and they discussed this very topic.

Segment synopsis, stacking can create an edge in DFS lineups and a disadvantage on season redraft leagues. Results are based on his math, but made sense to me.

First off, a season long league is still a weekly game. You play to win each week so even though it lasts the whole season it is still essentially a weekly game. I am also assuming that you are asking the question based on choosing between two similar WR's to see if a stack will help/hurt/be neutral to your chance of winning on a week to week basis.

Your QB is the same no matter what so that is really irrelevant to the discussion. It boils down to the WR's and their weekly volatility. If they score the same for the season they average out over the course of the year but does that help you win or not? As with all stacks, if your Stack-WR has a great week so does the QB so you likely win. If your QB has a down week then your S-WR likely does too and you are likely to lose. Bigger ceiling, lower floor on a weekly basis. The NonStack-WR can balance the down QB's weeks to raiser your floor. Less volatility potential.

So does it help? I think it helps as much as it hurts so whether or not it is a net plus to win week to week really depends on the rest of the lineup. You need boom weeks to win and you want to stay away from crater weeks. So if your lineup is full of boom/bust guys I would stay away from the stack to raise your floor. If your lineup is full of floor then I like the stack to give you the edge on boom weeks. So I think the answer of whether or not to do it lays with the rest of your draft.

Personally I like the stack of QB-RB because that gives you a higher floor as you are likely to get a piece of every TD that team scores. I can then fill the rest of my lineup with players that are a little more volatile knowing that I should have a nice baseline to keep me in the game every week.

Hypothetical:

Who has the advantage?

Seems like a pretty value-neutral proposition if trying to pick a winner there. Really it comes down to whether your QB is better than my QB, or your WR is better than my WR.
I can tell you which side I want would depend on the score going into MNF. If I am down big I want the stack. Only way I have a chance. If it's close I want the non-stack as it gives me the best chance to have a baseline to beat.

Hypothetical:

Who has the advantage?

I can tell you which side I want would depend on the score going into MNF. If I am down big I want the stack. Only way I have a chance. If it's close I want the non-stack as it gives me the best chance to have a baseline to beat.
Actually it was a dumb hypothetical on my part because by not having the stack it means you have your opponent’s QB’s WR.

So….yeah. lol

I never said I was smart.
:)

Hypothetical:

Who has the advantage?

Actually it was a dumb hypothetical on my part because by not having the stack it means you have your opponent’s QB’s WR.

So….yeah. lol

Just amend it to be opening MNF where there are two games so you aren't necessarily tied to your opponents QB......

Hypothetical:

Who has the advantage?

So….yeah. lol

Just amend it to be opening MNF where there are two games so you aren't necessarily tied to your opponents QB......
I love you man. Thanks for letting me off the hook.
:wub:

In that case, I don’t think it matters.

You say having the stack gives you the ceiling play & if you’re way behind you’d prefer that. But your QB might throw 3 TDs, one each to 3 receivers.

Your opponent’s receiver might catch 2 TDs, while his QB also throws 3 TDs.
:shrug:

You say having the stack gives you the ceiling play & if you’re way behind you’d prefer that. But your QB might throw 3 TDs, one each to 3 receivers.

Your opponent’s receiver might catch 2 TDs, while his QB also throws 3 TDs
That's all Tuesday morning QB'ing though. If that happens you were going to lose anyway if you were down big. Going in the only chance you had was for your QB to throw a couple TD's to your WR. Harder to have that happen if your QB is not on the same team as your WR.

And the converse is true if you are up big you want to try and cancel out the other guy because you don't need more points necessarily. You just need to block your opponent from outscoring you by a bunch. So give me the QB throwing to your WR and the WR getting passes from your QB. It limits your ability to score without me also getting points.

I was in an old season-long league for many years that awarded 6 pts per rushing TD and only 3 pts per passing/receiving TD because in the old days the majority of league members thought if you awarded 6 pts for all TDs it would be way too powerful to draft a QB and a WR from the same team and every time they hooked up for a TD you would get 12 points. I lost many arguments pointing out how silly that was.

Roughly speaking, stacking a QB with a receiver increases variance - put me in the camp that says that's a good thing in DFS GPPs, probably neutral to slightly negative in season-long. I wouldn't necessarily avoid a stack if the value is there as the draft plays out but it's not something I'm trying to do.

Your opponent’s receiver might catch 2 TDs, while his QB also throws 3 TDs
That's all Tuesday morning QB'ing though. If that happens you were going to lose anyway if you were down big. Going in the only chance you had was for your QB to throw a couple TD's to your WR. Harder to have that happen if your QB is not on the same team as your WR.

And the converse is true if you are up big you want to try and cancel out the other guy because you don't need more points necessarily. You just need to block your opponent from outscoring you by a bunch. So give me the QB throwing to your WR and the WR getting passes from your QB. It limits your ability to score without me also getting points.
Fair.

So for corner case it might have value. And as you suggest, if your build is high floor, potentially the ceiling play is to stack.

That implies that later in your draft, you might target the stack QB over another to target that stack?

Interesting

I wouldn't say I go out of my way to stack, like I would never drop a tier in order to pick up a stack. For example, say I owned DJ Moore, I wouldn't pass over Burrow to draft Fields as I have them in different tiers. Though I may draft Fields over Herbert, because even though I have Herbert over Fields they are in the same tier for me.

I find the benefit of stacking just being bringing incongruous rankings to the forefront of my brain. I brought this up with regards to finding underrated QBs. A lot of people are very high on CMC, Aiyuk, Kittle, and Deebo; yet they have Purdy ranked as like QB23. I don't see how you can project all these receptions and TDs to those players, but still have Purdy ranked that low. Their points will be tied together. So if you believe in one, you inherently believe in the other. The concept of stacking helps pull that acknowledgement to the forefront when making picks in the draft.

I do think it's risky (and often loses some value) doing it with premier players at their positions; like a Mahomes Kelce stack example you used. It's something I'm much more likely to do where one side of the stack is being undervalued.

For season long leagues that still use kickers I like the QB/K stack. Anytime the team crosses the opposition 40 I have 2 chances of scoring, a max of 5 points at the K and 8 points at the QB. And Ks go fairly cheap in most cases.

If I take Chase, that's a bet that Chase is good. If I then take Burrow, that's a bet that both Burrow and Chase are good.

If I truly believe in both Chase/Burrow in a vaccum then I haven't lost anything but what have I gained?

IF there's a head-to-head aspect to your league even if it's just the playoffs then there are other bets to make.

For instance, a Burrow/Chase stack looks good to me because they're both guys I might ride and die with for point totals and they have a potential shootout week 17 during fantasy championship head to head week. I could even add Higgins for the same reasons although that's a bolder bet.

To me stacking is layering more bets on top of the other bets you are already making.

it's the new "cool" term in fantasy football circles. It's worthless in practicality in my eyes. To intentionally go for the "stack" in place of drafting a superior player on your draft board is stupid. IMHO

I wouldn't say I go out of my way to stack, like I would never drop a tier in order to pick up a stack. For example, say I owned DJ Moore, I wouldn't pass over Burrow to draft Fields as I have them in different tiers. Though I may draft Fields over Herbert, because even though I have Herbert over Fields they are in the same tier for me.

I find the benefit of stacking just being bringing incongruous rankings to the forefront of my brain. I brought this up with regards to finding underrated QBs. A lot of people are very high on CMC, Aiyuk, Kittle, and Deebo; yet they have Purdy ranked as like QB23. I don't see how you can project all these receptions and TDs to those players, but still have Purdy ranked that low. Their points will be tied together. So if you believe in one, you inherently believe in the other. The concept of stacking helps pull that acknowledgement to the forefront when making picks in the draft.

I do think it's risky (and often loses some value) doing it with premier players at their positions; like a Mahomes Kelce stack example you used. It's something I'm much more likely to do where one side of the stack is being undervalued.
great post!

I've been doing it for a long time without even thinking about it. Wasn't until just like 5 years ago or so I heard it used as strategy advice.

Anyway, it can help and hurt. My older brother always loved stacking packers. Arod, Jennings, driver, Jones, Nelson, Cobb, Adam's, Finley. Now he did fine often enough. The playoffs is where the stacks bite or boost. One big game you find yourself in the ship game. One bad game in the cold and you are bounced in the first round. So that's where you see the biggest effect if it.

For season long leagues that still use kickers I like the QB/K stack. Anytime the team crosses the opposition 40 I have 2 chances of scoring, a max of 5 points at the K and 8 points at the QB. And Ks go fairly cheap in most cases.
I’ve done this many times. 7 pt TDs, and hopefully at least 3.

That said, few things are more frustrating than having the QB/K, and the QB throws a bad Int inside the 40, or the K misses after a 3 & out inside the 40.

One bad game in the cold and you are bounced in the first round. So that's where you see the biggest effect if it.
Thus the “all your eggs in 1 basket” issue.
Yeah. Another example from my older brother was in playoffs, maybe ship game. We had 1 idp and he had sf lb and dst against my Vernon Davis and about a 20 pts lead. He beat me at end of game when his lb got a sack, forced fumble, recovered it and ran it in for a td. All that was doubled with the dst. One of my most memorable playoff losses.

Feeling feisty, so let’s get this semi-annual controversy started. :pickle:

I see it all the time here. “I went for the stack” by drafting X-QB & Y-WR/TE from the same team. More and more, actually. I even see some of the popular YouTube FF guys touting the stack during drafts, sometimes picking a lower ranked player over higher ranked options available to get the stack.

But does it really matter? We’ve discussed it here in the past and it’s always an interesting topic, so I figured we could revisit for 2023.

In daily formats, i get it - it can lead to monstrous days, sure. That’s where I acknowledge stacking works. You’re projecting big numbers against a weak defense for a single game, and you want as many pieces of that offense as possible. Fair.

But for season-long FF, does it matter at all?

I contend that it does not. All that matters is that your QB scores more points than your opponent’s QB, and that your WR scores more points than your opponent’s WR.

Is having the stack fun? It can be, sure. It’s psychologically awesome to get a “double TD”. It’s also psychologically devastating to an opponent to have a “double TD” score against them.

But is it worth any more than if any QB & any WR scores against them that day? Nope. It’s just a QB scoring & a WR scoring. You get 2 TD either way, plus yardage and the reception.

And one might even argue that having the “stack” could have more downside in season-long FF because you’re putting more eggs into the same basket. Going against the #1 pass defense with your stack? Bummer - probably wouldn’t do that by choice in a daily format.

There are opportunity costs to redraft stacking as well. Want the Mahomes/Kelce stack? That’ll likely cost you a 1st & a 2nd. Now your WR/RB & depth everywhere is gonna be ugly. One team in one of my NFC drafts took Kelce 1.06 & Mahomes 2.07. The rest of their team is rough.

So why do people “stack”?

Are you a stacker? Please explain what advantage you believe it gives you. No judgement - I just want to know if I’m missing something here. If it’s just “I like that team, I want as many pieces of that offense as I can get” then hey, I understand it, especially if you’re going within rankings/ADP to do so.

But other than having players you want to have, do you believe there’s an advantage to stacking as a strategy?
I assume most advocates of stacking are playing DFS and large best ball tournaments. I wouldn't recommend stacking in your normal redraft league, even if it's like 32 teams.

My understanding--and I'm taking this from the internet and podcasts--is that stacking matters in large tournaments where you're trying to differentiate yourself from a large field in the final week. Websites and Podcasts I've read/listened to tell me there is data to support stacking wins tournaments. I haven't sought out the data. Happy enough to believe they're right. It makes sense--you need two players to hit. If Mahommes does hit, Kelce is more likely to hit.

In general, you're talking best ball or DFS tournaments where people do several entries. Sure there's a huge opportunity cost to Mahommes/Kelce. But if they connect for 3 TD's, it's worth the opportunity cost. So when you're Doing 15, 20, 30 entries--I get using that as one of your paths to victory.

Now, even then--most advocates say you don't want to deter from ADP too much. A few spots here or there. I've heard some people say don't go more than a round and a half. I probably don't go a full round out of my way to get a player. You wouldn't take Gabe Davis over Jerry Jeudy because you have Josh Allen.

I've done 20 best ball leagues on underdog. Even trying to stack, it often doesn't work out with the high end stacks. I've got more Daniel Jones with Waller/Hodgins/Hyatt and CJ Stroud with Nico Collins/Dalton Schultz than big name stacks.

when his lb got a sack, forced fumble, recovered it and ran it in for a td. All that was doubled with the dst. One of my most memorable playoff losses.
This is why you have to pick a lane.

Either play D/ST, or play IDP. You can’t do both.
Nah. League still is going on and we still have a single DP slot. Not a money league. Not a big league. Just a small, free family league that is always one of my funnest leagues. That defeat still gets talked about to this day and is remembered while I couldn't you give much details on any cash leagues with "normal" settings, sizes, and lineups that I won or lost last year

I had the best stack ever one year. The peyton 2013 Denver year when he went bonkers but they lost the superbowl to the Seahawks

Had the following from Denver
Peyton
D. Thomas
Decker
Orange julious

Had 2 good rbs as well can't recall who.

Was not my plan going into the draft but it won me a championship and alot of money.
I was beating people easily all year. I think I lost one regular season game

The best stack I ever had was Manning and Harrison, which easily gave me the league's best record. Until the head coach decided at 14-0 the smart play was to rest his two stars for most of the remainder of the season.

I had the best stack ever one year. The peyton 2013 Denver year when he went bonkers but they lost the superbowl to the Seahawks

Had the following from Denver
Peyton
D. Thomas
Decker
Orange julious

Had 2 good rbs as well can't recall who.

Was not my plan going into the draft but it won me a championship and alot of money.
I was beating people easily all year. I think I lost one regular season game
One year I had a 3-way GB stack with Jordy/Cobb.

Lost in the LCG.

Didn’t try for it or plan it. Just the best players on my board at the time I drafted them.

There are times where I have done it just because I really think or project it to be a top offense with clear-cut studs at QB and WR/TE (i.e. Burrow/Chase) and I want as many pieces of that offense as I can get. I wouldn't worry about trying to stack mid-tier guys though, as the volatility would be too much (Goff/ARSB, or Geno/Metcalf).

Sometimes I'll avoid a stack like that just because I don't want to stack my bye weeks in redraft, unless I'm going for the "all-in, let's tank on the bye week and be 100% otherwise" strategy.

I'm sure most angles have been covered already. I personally wouldn't seek it out. I did end up with Hurts and AJB last year quite by accident really and had a great year and enjoyed it but still wouldn't go out of my way to get it again. Biggest worry for me would be an injury to one hurts two positions and negates some of the nice benefits you tend to get (like the huge game AJB had against Steelers last year).

In a league with bonus points for 50+ yard TDs I generally try to add whatever teams deep threat WR to pair with my QB whether that’s just a bench player etc.

Double dipping on 11 point TDs X 2 would be nice for weekly prizes.

Only in a few team scenario's is it worth it. But having said that, I'm also aware that I don't want a RB and a WR both starting for me. Example, if I'm faced with pick 1.03 and it's Chase, CMC or Bijan for example.

1) Chase - then I see Mixon in the 4th and he's great value....do I want to take him, or just go with another pick. Hate to feel that.
2) CMC - have a chance to take Aiyuk as my 3rd WR, but not sure I want another 9'er, so I take Mike Williams instead - and watch him get hurt week 1, and CMC gets a groin injury week 3.....double f'd.
3) Bijan - don't want any part of Pitts, or London for that matter. I can free myself up.

I thought stacking was like what ZWK described - important if you're trying to win those huge best ball tournaments that they have. Then stacking is a real thing because of the variance he describes.

Other than that, I don't see how it's anything but neutral or potentially negative because of said variance.

We used to call it a combo.
“Live by the combo, die by the combo.”
I like having QB/TE combo or QB/WR2orWR3 combo if I have a top qb.
I like using the TE or WR2/3 (fantasy) connected to my rivals QB if their QB is significantly better than mine.
The theory behind this is if their QB goes off, I will probably benefit. If their QB puts up a dud I will only lose value of a position that is volatile anyway and my least obvious start.

I thought stacking was like what ZWK described - important if you're trying to win those huge best ball tournaments that they have. Then stacking is a real thing because of the variance he describes.

Other than that, I don't see how it's anything but neutral or potentially negative because of said variance.
The only stacking I kind of like for normal redraft is a QB-TE combo. Not sure why exactly or if there is any real math to go with it but since TE outside of 1 or maybe 2 guys is pretty much a crapshoot, I like the idea of at least getting a little double bonus when they do score. That is likely all an emotional appeal and has no math behind it.

2007 I had the Brady/Moss stack. Absolutely destroyed people in the regular season...think I had 1 loss all season. Get to the playoffs, they have a clunker and I get bounced. I realize this is an extreme example but like others have said it's high risk once you get to the playoffs.

Every local league I play in has a payout for high point total each week (I highly encourage you to add this to yours). It’s great to have in that format. Otherwise I don’t care at all.

2007 I had the Brady/Moss stack. Absolutely destroyed people in the regular season...think I had 1 loss all season. Get to the playoffs, they have a clunker and I get bounced. I realize this is an extreme example but like others have said it's high risk once you get to the playoffs.
Conversely, I had Brady and Evans last year. Didn’t help at all until they won me the championship.

In a league with bonus points for 50+ yard TDs I generally try to add whatever teams deep threat WR to pair with my QB whether that’s just a bench player etc.

Double dipping on 11 point TDs X 2 would be nice for weekly prizes.
In that corner case scenario I agree. That’s a pretty huge bonus.

Both my leagues that have distance bonuses are like +1 for a TD over 50 yards.

I like using the TE or WR2/3 (fantasy) connected to my rivals QB if their QB is significantly better than mine.
You’re describing the also popular “cancellation” theory, which is also kind of a load of hooey*.

Except for “end game” scenarios, where you have your opponent’s QB’s skill players and they have the QB. So long as that QB throws to your players, it “cancels out” their points.

But otherwise cancelation doesn’t work. The only thing that matters is that your players outscore your opponent’s players.

My understanding--and I'm taking this from the internet and podcasts--is that stacking matters in large tournaments where you're trying to differentiate yourself from a large field in the final week. Websites and Podcasts I've read/listened to tell me there is data to support stacking wins tournaments. I haven't sought out the data. Happy enough to believe they're right. It makes sense--you need two players to hit. If Mahommes does hit, Kelce is more likely to hit.
Sure, so long as you have the correct stack, and it’s different than what most folks stack.

Having Mahomes+Kelce is likely pretty common. I would guess having Mahomes+McKinnon is the sort of stack people won with last year.

I would also be willing to bet that a significantly greater number of teams used stacking and lost, because their stack failed them at the end of season rounds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread