What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SD - Wide Receivers (1 Viewer)

MASSHOLE

Footballguy
Going forward it seems like Rivers is legit and may be back to when he was 'elite'. If this is the case who is the most talented of his receiver core? Allen, Brown, Royal, Gates? Who is his security blanket? Woodhead? How is Rivers' o line? Rushed a lot/sacked? Id love to hear from SD homers, or anyone with some knowledge, about any and all of these guys.

I'm wondeirng about this too. I have both Allen and Brown available and wondering who to pick up. I will be dropping Bradshaw.

Allen's the big play guy. Brown is the possession guy. Gates is the rock. Royal and Woodhead are slot machines. OL is suspect. Running game is meh. Offense is designed to get the ball out quick, which has been a perfect fit for Rivers. Defense is giving up points and pressing the O into shootouts.

Allen's the big play guy. Brown is the possession guy. Gates is the rock. Royal and Woodhead are slot machines. OL is suspect. Running game is meh. Offense is designed to get the ball out quick, which has been a perfect fit for Rivers. Defense is giving up points and pressing the O into shootouts.
Thanks for this overview. This is close enough to what I'm looking for

Going forward it seems like Rivers is legit and may be back to when he was 'elite'. If this is the case who is the most talented of his receiver core? Allen, Brown, Royal, Gates? Who is his security blanket? Woodhead? How is Rivers' o line? Rushed a lot/sacked? Id love to hear from SD homers, or anyone with some knowledge, about any and all of these guys.
M####### sorry man didn't see this post before i started basically the same one!

I'm with you.... who is the guy in SD???

So who are you thinking of going after...Brown or Allen??

Last edited by a moderator:
Good summary.

Gates is the primary receiving threat. He's the only Charger to get double-digit targets in a game this season, and he's done it twice.

I don't think any of the WRs will be steady producers from week to week, but in any given week, any of them could go off. Eddie Royal had his turn. I think Vincent Brown's and Keenan Allen's turns will come, but there's no telling who it will be when.

Now, can we get 31 more summaries like this? :football:

picking up Keenan in my leagues for the 1% chance he morphs into Danario v2. Rookie, got a healthy 6 targets last week, and certainly a void of talent at the WR spot

But he won't be starting for me

picking up Keenan in my leagues for the 1% chance he morphs into Danario v2. Rookie, got a healthy 6 targets last week, and certainly a void of talent at the WR spot

But he won't be starting for me
I think Keenan Allen will be a WR3+ for the ROS, with decent upside to a high-end WR2 if this offense keeps up the production and his body holds up. My thoughts why are summed up in post #87 here.

Keenan Allen remains healthy, then he will be the top WR to have on this team IMO. SD might go 6-10 but they are going down swinging, Rivers and the entire passing offense has a rather soft schedule the rest of the way. Even the match ups like Denver you would want a WR from the opposite team. I like Allen and think he can still reach 75 catches this year, perhaps 1,000 yds, handful of TDs. The train is taking off.

SD is the cheaper version of the Saints. Rivers (Brees) and Gates (Jimmy G) are the 2 money plays here....every one else is game to game depending on how the D schemes them. Just like you never know between Colston, Sproles, Lance Moore, Stills etc who will get more every week, same thing here.

Let's paint a picture..

Snap Percentages

Brown - 91% - 94% - 93% - 99%

Allen - 0% - 53% - 83% - 94%

Royal - 55% - 73% - 54% - 84%

Flloyd - 98% - 43% - 0% - 0%

Targets

Gates - 4 - 10 - 7 - 10 (31 total)

Brown - 4 - 7 - 3 - 9 (23 total)

Royal - 6 - 8 - 2 - 3 (19 total)

Allen - 0 - 3 - 1 - 6 (10 total)

Flloyd - 5 - 6 - 0 - 0 (11 total)

Woodhead - 3 - 9 - 8 - 7 (27 total)

I think something is quite clear here and that is goes Gates -> Woodhead - > Brown -> Allen -> Royal as far as the pecking order is concerned. The wildcard here however is Allen, whose snap percentage/targets have obviously shared an inverse relationship with that of Flloyds. I think it's very feasible, judging by how poorly Brown has performed up until this point that Allen could find himself third in line on a weekly basis.

Let's paint a picture..

Snap Percentages

Targets

I think something is quite clear here and that is goes Gates -> Woodhead - > Brown -> Allen -> Royal as far as the pecking order is concerned. The wildcard here however is Allen, whose snap percentage/targets have obviously shared an inverse relationship with that of Flloyds. I think it's very feasible, judging by how poorly Brown has performed up until this point that Allen could find himself third in line on a weekly basis.
Allen has clearly taken over Floyd's role. Question is can he do more with it than Floyd did? Other than speed, I think Allen is a superior WR to Floyd in every other way.

Let's paint a picture..

Snap Percentages

Targets

It looks to me like Allen has Floyd's snaps and his targets.

He's not Floyd but he could be. Plus maybe a little more.

:goodposting: I'm actually surprised at how poorly Brown has performed with the opportunities he's getting. I had assumed it was attributable to the fact that Gates is a much more reliable possession target than he is, but the fact is he is getting the looks but just not turning that into productive gains. I realize there is a reason Rivers has looked for Royal so much.

How would he and his opportunity compare to the likes of T. Williams from Dallas in your minds? Both seem to be getting their shots and both teams have a ripe few games coming up

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/oct/04/keenan-allen-chargers-raiders-cal/

I'm buying. Dropped Miles Austin and Terrance Williams for him. Rather have a potentially big (third option but probably most talented wideout) piece of Phillip Rivers' offense seeing how he has had the best start of his career and is as confident as ever than an injury-prone aging Austin depending on Romo.

Sure, Allen will be a little inconsistent, but I like the pedigree. He caught 98 passes one season at Cal with a mediocre at best QB. Rivers is going to make him a star.

I dropped Vincent brown 2 weeks ago. He was one of my biggest sleepers and line of the many busts I drafted this year. Picked up Keenan Allen and I think he is in for a big game week 5. I'm struggling BW him and Finley in my flex.

He has seen the field and rivers attn more and more last few weeks and I expect that to continue. He's a high draft pick and has #1 wr written all over him.

BlueBlazer05 said:
So, all that money I spent on Royal was all for naught? :oldunsure: :(
We all knew the TD rate wasn't going to be sustainable but he isn't even seeing a relevant amount of looks anymore. I think the emergence of Woodhead acting as a safety valve is hurting him the most. Rivers already likes to spread the rock and it doesn't help when two guys are essentially occupying the same niche. Ultimately, I think he'll have a handful of "good" weeks in the future but his floor isn't near high enough to make him an every week stater/someone you want to lean on. Barring injury, this isn't a renaissance year for Royal.

As for Allen, I think everyone is so giddy because it would seem that talent is meeting opportunity a bit earlier then anticipated. He has all the making of a WR1 and looks to have inherited the former WR1's snaps and targets.

I'm buying. Dropped Miles Austin and Terrance Williams for him. Rather have a potentially big (third option but probably most talented wideout) piece of Phillip Rivers' offense seeing how he has had the best start of his career and is as confident as ever than an injury-prone aging Austin depending on Romo.

Sure, Allen will be a little inconsistent, but I like the pedigree. He caught 98 passes one season at Cal with a mediocre at best QB. Rivers is going to make him a star.
I don't understand why you'd drop Williams for him when Austin can't stay on the field every year.

I don't understand why you'd drop Williams for him when Austin can't stay on the field every year.
You're probably right. I should've found a way to keep Williams.

You're probably right. I should've found a way to keep Williams.
No probably. I am right. ;)

IMO as more teams try to shut down gates could lead to more targets for royal out of the slot
Gates is pulling more coverage, but Rivers just goes to his 2nd option which is Woodhead. Seems to be working...
We all know woodhead caught a couple touchdowns, but I don't think he makes the entire receiving corps irrelevant.
It's unlikely. I doubt Woodhead is literally Rivers second read when he's going through his progressions. I'd actually be willing to bet that part of the reason why Woodhead has been so highly involved has to do with the fact that Brown is getting zero separation. If Gates is taken away and Brown is doing jack, you can expect the check down.

Allen can can change this IMO. He excels in tight spaces and should be able to get open at will. I've re-watched last weeks 31 yard grab several times as well, each time coming away more impressed. He got the tools and now the opportunity.

From what I read Woodhead is the passing back. That leaves at minimum 2 other downs where woodhead isnt the #2/#3 option. I thought Brown would be the guy, but with Floyd going down and staying down, I'm willing to take a chance on Allen.

I think it comes down to to the need of each manager of his/her team. My RB stable is very solid; I am happy to grab players like Allen. If he goes off its much cheaper now than after this weekend.

Woodhead was the first option in both the TD plays. Rivers is looking at the matchups and taking advantage of them. It literally doesn't matter who it is. He's taking what the D has given him. I don't expect that to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread