What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SEXY SCOOP: Tice to be Terminated (1 Viewer)

Hot Sexy Babe

Footballguy
My source is gathering information. The story may break soon.Mike Tice is about to be fired.Although I don't think this will actually hurt the Vikings, it is still a legitimate scoop.(Signing players like Smoot is what will make a difference.) :ph34r:

If I just signed with the Vikings, and the HC got fired, I'd feel cheated. If you're going to make a change at HC, do it before the FA period.

For who? Who could possibly be available at this point? Dennis Erickson? Yuck.Or are they going to promote Ted Cottrel to go with all this newfound defense???

I do not know the identity of a potential replacement coach.I do know a reporter for a national organization is in town working on this story.

OK, let's say it's true. How about Jim Fassel? He'd be good, and I'm sure the Ravens would let him leave for a head coaching position. That could even be in his current contract.

OK, let's say it's true. How about Jim Fassel? He'd be good, and I'm sure the Ravens would let him leave for a head coaching position. That could even be in his current contract.
ooooh, I like that idea.sorry I could not get any more info out of the reporter. He seemed to realize he had already said too much.

I wonder how the timing of this might be related to the upcoming owner's meeting to discuss the sale to Fowler???

ooooh, I like that idea.sorry I could not get any more info out of the reporter. He seemed to realize he had already said too much.
The FIRST name that came to mind was Fassel. With Culp there, I could see it in a heartbeat. And if Fassel is there, good thing they got rid of Moss. Too soft a coach for the likes of a Moss.

Ah, Capella.Just because you do not personally know this reporter, does not mean it is not true. This will not be the first story he broke.I have nothing to gain from this thread. I am simply sharing a scoop with my fellow Viking fans.With the signing of Smoot and Wiggins today, the Vikings are headed in the right direction. :horns:

Wasn't there a story 1 week ago when McCombs said he was going to fire Tice to motivate Moss? In that article it was rumored to be Bud Grant. Did anyone else read that?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/foot...tice/index.html

Hot tickets

Vikings' Tice target of Super Bowl scalping probe

Posted: Tuesday March 8, 2005 9:07PM; Updated: Tuesday March 8, 2005 9:07PM

Mike Tice

Mike Tice acknowledged to SI.com that he met with league security officials Wednesday at the team complex.

Rick Stewart/Getty Images

By Don Banks and George Dohrmann, SI.com

Minnesota head coach Mike Tice is being investigated by the NFL for allegedly heading up and profiting from a Super Bowl ticket-scalping operation within the Vikings organization, a violation of NFL rules that league sources say has been going on for years.

Two investigators from the league's security staff, Larry Sweeney and John Keenan, were in the Twin Cities on Tuesday, questioning Tice in his office and speaking with Vikings running backs coach Dean Dalton, as well as other club personnel. The pair left the team complex in the afternoon to meet with the team's director of ticket sales, Phil Huebner, at the Metrodome, where Minnesota's ticket operations are headquartered.

The league requires all players, coaches, and club personnel who buy Super Bowl tickets to sign a release stating they will not re-sell them at a profit. Still, the practice of scalping Super Bowl tickets is widespread within the league and is an open secret in many NFL locker rooms. Yet the practice in Minnesota is unique, league sources say, because it has been orchestrated by the head coach. And, according to people familiar with the scalping operation, Tice began facilitating the reselling of Super Bowl tickets long before becoming the Vikings' head coach in January 2002. Tice coached Minnesota's tight ends and then offensive line beginning in 1996.

"This started when [Tice] wasn't the figure he is now," said one team source. "I can't believe how rampant it's been. Stuff like this has gone on a long time. There's a pretty good amount of people involved. There could be a lot of people affected by this, not just in the NFL's view, but with the IRS as well."

Tice acknowledged to SI.com that he met with league security officials Tuesday at the team complex, but said he told them he had nothing to do with the re-selling of players' tickets.

"They were in there here talking to me and others about how we deal with our Super Bowl tickets, and how they're distributed,'' Tice said. "I'm confident when the league finishes looking at this, everything will come out fine. It's a shame assumptions are being made about my role in this. I did not approach any player about Super Bowl tickets as head coach of the Minnesota Vikings.''

However, in mid-January, after the Viking were eliminated by the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC divisional playoffs, a team source said Tice organized the re-selling of Super Bowl tickets for players and club employees. (Each NFL player has the right to buy two Super Bowl tickets at face value, which this year was $500 and $600 depending on the location of the seat). Those who gave their tickets to Tice received $1,900, a mark-up of at least $1,300 per ticket, sources said. Last season, individuals brokering tickets through Tice received $1,100 per ticket, a former Vikings player said.

"Tice has been turning around tickets for years and years," said one player who was with the Vikings in 2003. "He's been selling them to the same guy. He commits to a certain amount every year."

Late in the 2003 season, Tice berated one Vikings veteran for asking teammates if he could buy their tickets, which he had hoped to procure for family members. The player said Tice accused him of trying to "backdoor the head coach." Tice then successfully pressured some players to renege on their commitment and sell their tickets through him, the player said, even though Tice was offering slightly less money per ticket.

"It was always understood that if you want it, here it is," one Vikings team source said of the opportunity to scalp Super Bowl tickets. "There was nothing different this year about how it worked."

Sources around the league, including several coaches, said it is common practice within the NFL for players and assistants to scalp their Super Bowl tickets. On some teams, the income from the re-sale of those tickets is counted on by assistant coaches to supplement their salaries.

"A lot of teams do it," said an NFL assistant who once worked for the Vikings. "Everybody can do it. Every team has a guy who takes care of moving the tickets. I'd hate to see it end because coaches have always used that as extra money. Coaches do count on that as a little extra deal. [Team] owners will probably stop doing it now, because they don't have to give us those tickets.

"When I was there [in Minnesota], Mike was the guy. He had a guy somewhere who moved the tickets. I just never took him up on it because I was always scared I'd get my ### caught."

Said another coach: "Mike's the wheeler dealer. But it's just stupidity doing it as a head coach. Maybe the NFL wants to send a wake-up call about scalping, and they're going to come down on Mike."

Owner Red McCombs has been made aware of the league's investigation, a Vikings official said. It is unknown whether Reggie Fowler, who has an agreement to purchase the team from McCombs, has been told of the probe. NFL vice president of public relations Greg Aiello would not confirm if there was an investigation into Super Bowl ticket scalping in Minnesota.

"We're not going to respond to questions about what NFL security looks into and what it doesn't look into," Aiello said, "but it's against league rules to sell those tickets for a profit."

Tice, the league's lowest-paid coach at $1 million per season, is entering the final year of his contract with Minnesota, and his job security was an ongoing issue all of 2004. Just last week, in a conference call with the Minnesota media, McCombs said he nearly fired Tice during the second half of last season, in an effort to shake up his slumping club, and specifically star receiver Randy Moss. It is also known that Tice was in danger of being fired if Minnesota had not upset Green Bay at Lambeau Field in the first-round of the NFC playoffs

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh that one will leave a mark. Looks like the end for Tice.

Just one of the many reasons you shouldn't pay an NFL HC minimum wage.
Doesn't look good for Tice! And I couldn't agree more about the minimum wage comment!!

Ding dong the **tch is dead! Sing it high.....sing it low. Ding dong the stupid **tch is dead....... :excited: :thumbup: One last chance to make the Vikings look bad before he goes, but if this is enough to get Tice canned, then today is like Christmas Eve for Vikings fans.Wiggins resigns.Smoot signs.Tice about to get canned for stupid league rules violations.The Vikings STILL have the most room under the cap of any team.Sniff, sniff. I think I'm feeling verclempt. Talk amongst yourself for a few minutes......:horns:

Hey Capella,What do you think of my scoop now ? ! ?

Check out when I posted my scoop.

Maybe somebody from Sports Illustrated saw my SEXY SCOOP and decided to release the story ASAP.

Thanks for your wonderful, incorrect reply.

As you can see, George was in town working on this story. Now that the story has been released, my source can be revealed.

You may remember George, he broke the Gophers (Clem Haskins) scandal and moved on to SI.

:brush:

I thought Tice was on the dumb side of the fence before this incident, but if true this confirms that he is a complete moron. A head coach scalping tickets? How hard up for cash are you? I know he's probably the lowest paid HC in the league, but the extra cash from tickets would be rather insignificant compared to his actual salary. If this is true, what a tool...

At least the Vikings will still compete for the 6th playoff spot and 2nd in the North Division. Maybe the 5th playoff spot but still 2nd in the North ahead of Chicago and Detroit.

At least the Vikings will still compete for the 6th playoff spot and 2nd in the North Division. Maybe the 5th playoff spot but still 2nd in the North ahead of Chicago and Detroit.
Based on Tice leaving? Care to elaborate on that?

Well as a Packers fan let me say this sucks. The last thing a Packers fan wants to see is the Vikings actually get a legitimate head coach. I was hoping Tice the Buffoon would stick around for awhile. Oh and was I the only one who got a real "pillow talk" vibe from Hot Sexy Babe's original post? JK :D

At least the Vikings will still compete for the 6th playoff spot and 2nd in the North Division.  Maybe the 5th playoff spot but still 2nd in the North ahead of Chicago and Detroit.
Based on all their signings they are still good enough to come in 2nd place in the division. Now, if Favre retires the division will be open between Green Bay and Detroit but Favre has yet to retire. Vikings will still come in 2nd place though.

Hey Capella,What do you think of my scoop now ? ! ?

Check out when I posted my scoop.

Maybe somebody from Sports Illustrated saw my SEXY SCOOP and decided to release the story ASAP.

Thanks for your wonderful, incorrect reply.

As you can see, George was in town working on this story. Now that the story has been released, my source can be revealed.

You may remember George, he broke the Gophers (Clem Haskins) scandal and moved on to SI.

:brush:
:unsure: Congrats on your SEXY SCOOP.

:unsure:

Joker,Time for a reality check.You think the Packers will win the division. Take an unbiased look at each team. The Vikings are improving each day. Now the Vikings will have a more intelligent head coach.Terminating Tice means more Viking Victories. :horns:

You think the Packers will win the division. Take an unbiased look at each team. The Vikings are improving each day. Now the Vikings will have a more intelligent head coach.
How does removing the best player in the league at his position (R Moss, Esq) and replacing him with some random low-grade duffer (Travis Taylor, or Rod Gardner, perhaps) equal "improving"?

At least the Vikings will still compete for the 6th playoff spot and 2nd in the North Division.  Maybe the 5th playoff spot but still 2nd in the North ahead of Chicago and Detroit.
Based on all their signings they are still good enough to come in 2nd place in the division. Now, if Favre retires the division will be open between Green Bay and Detroit but Favre has yet to retire. Vikings will still come in 2nd place though.
:fishing: :hophead: :cheese:

packersfan,I suspect you have a more realistic view of this situation. Most Packer fans wanted Mike Tice to remain the head coach of the Vikings. Tice sort of looks and talks like Ray's big brother on "Everybody Loves Raymond."Packersfan is correct, this is good news for the Vikings.Joker seems to have eaten too much cheese.Now . . . who will be the Vikings next coach? I have no idea. I suspect the Vikings were not planning on this story coming out now. George was just investigating Tice, not looking for the next coach.

Portis 26,I agree. Trading Moss did not improve the team's talent level.I do think the signing of Smoot and Wiggins today means the Vikings can still improve the team. There is still plenty of salary cap space (and two first round picks) available to make the team even better.Would I rather have Moss . . . absolutely!Randy was right to complain about the lack of spending by Red McCombs.Do I think the Vikings can still rebound from the trade and improve . . . yes.

Nice story. If this is as widespread as claimed, it would be pretty silly to fire Tice over it. Sounds like ALL teams and their coaching staffs are guilty. Besides, who's the source -- a disgruntled Chris Hovan maybe who's last words were "GOODBYE MINNESOTA!"? :mellow:

some TV station website
Vikings head coach Mike Tice is being investigated by the NFL for allegedly heading up, and profiting from, a Super Bowl ticket-scalping operation that has been going on for years, Sports Illustrated's Web site is reporting.Tice tells 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that all of the accusations are "bogus.""I've talked to the league, and I am confident everything will work out," Tice said.

Ooh that one will leave a mark. Looks like the end for Tice.

Yeah...poor Mike Tice. What was he forced to live on? $1 million a year? And he had to be a NFL Head Coach to earn that measly salary?Sounds like Tice may be as dumb as many suspected he may be.

Gotta love the Vikes. It's always a party with our guys.

:horns:

The Vikings off-season is almost as exciting as the regular season.George has a knack of finding a widespread problem (college athletes cheating in class, NFL coaches scalping Super Bowl tickets) and taking out the biggest offenders.Tice is done. The sad part is he seems like a nice guy.

All 4 local TV news stations did not know anything else beyond what is in the SI.com article.I suspect a lot more info will come out over the next 24 hours.A new coach would likely want to bring in his own guys. Red McCombs might crap in his pants if he cannot sell to Fowler and has to pay for new coaches and free agents.If Fowler's bid is rejected, Red will promote Ted and close the purse strings. Our free agent bonanza will be over.Could it get more complicated?Maybe if Harris fails his physical, we can get Moss back. I'm getting delusional so goodnight boys.

I think you guys are missing the boat here. If Tice is fired now, the Vikings are screwed for the year. There is no way the can go outside the organization and hire a HC because he simply will not be able to put together a coaching staff. That means the Vikings will have to promote from within and that guy will be forced to keep the current coaching staff. But the way McCombs is running the team, that would probably be his preference, because he will not want to sign new coaches to 2-4 year deals. Who on the Vikings staff will be promoted? And who will be promoted to take their place? Unless you think the Vikings have a ton of qualified coaches just waiting for promotions, the Vickings would be screwed.

There is no way the can go outside the organization and hire a HC because he simply will not be able to put together a coaching staff.
That's not quite true. A new guy COULD put together a coaching staff - he'd just have to drag a lot of guys out of retirement, off the streets, or out of college ball.

Nice story. If this is as widespread as claimed, it would be pretty silly to fire Tice over it. Sounds like ALL teams and their coaching staffs are guilty. Besides, who's the source -- a disgruntled Chris Hovan maybe who's last words were "GOODBYE MINNESOTA!"? :mellow:
Well it said that it was a player on the 2003 Vikings team. I think if the player was on the 2004 team, it would have said that. But I guess you could say that Hovan wasn't really part of the team last year.My bet is that it was Denard Walker or Eric Kelly. Both got cut after complaining about being demoted.

If true, it might sting the Vikings in the short term, but in the long run, it's definitely a good thing. Mike Tice was not a good NFL coach. I still laugh when I think about the "Randy Ratio".

well typical minnesota good news followed by not so good. Sure tice may not be the best but anyone thinking a coach being fired at t his time of year is anything but bad is delusional.

I would think the Vikes would try to call Pete Carroll or Bob Stoops first. Pete Carroll with that D, and with CPepp, could work out well.I do not think either would come, especially because each is making twice what Tice makes, but a thought.

Ooh that one will leave a mark.  Looks like the end for Tice.

Doesn't look good for Tice! And I couldn't agree more about the minimum wage comment!!
doesn't he make $1M per year?

I believe the only time an NFL team can stop a coordinator or assistant coach from taking another job is if its deemed to be a lateral move. Going from a positions coach or OC to a HC would have to be allowed I think.

If allegations are true, he pressured his players to sell through him (rather than just run-of-the-mill-scapling-your-own). That, IMO, is bad behavior, and will lead players to have disrespect for their own coach. That alone is reason enough for the Vikes to fire him.

lol @ this thread. Sexy Hot Babe, congrats on your SEXY SCOOP!No one is more deserving of being fired than Tice regardless of whether he ran a ticket scapling ring or not. Though Tice always gave me solace through the Erikson years that the 49ers did not have the worst coach in the league. :D For that, I shall miss his bafoonery. :rotflmao:

Users who are viewing this thread