What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SF v Jax... Big Potential Weather Issues (1 Viewer)

ffrookie

Footballguy
Looks like BBC is calling for heavy rain with wind gusts possibly reaching 70 mph during the game in London tomorrow between SF and JAX. Anyone have any thoughts on the impact to the game?

Heading down to the game in the morning. The storm is more likely to happen after the game so hopefully shouldn't be a factor

Huh? That sounds more like a tropical storm on the verge of becoming a category 1 hurricane - the earlier unverified source claiming Jimmy Graham will play seems legit :) this, not so much lol

anybody have a sense of how kickers typically perform in london games? and what to do with dawson?

They mentioned this on the NFL netowrk and they "said" the wind would be after the game for the most part and the bigger issue was trying to get home for the teams. But something to keep an eye on at 12 tomorrow . I have Blackmon and if it is the wind that they forecast i will sit him. ( For K Durham)

Last edited by a moderator:
My prediction of a Jacksonville win seems a little more possible with the this game possibly turning into a slop fest.

I don't go out and outright predict a game on here very often but just really have a feeling about this one.

Remember, although there isn't a roof at Wembley that closes, the stands are built so high (and all the way round the ground) that they block out most normal winds - do a google images search on Wembley Stadium and you'll see what I mean...that said, the forecast is indeed for a massive storm, but the worst of the winds are currently forecast a few hours after the game is over, though the current forecast suggests it will start raining at some point during the game.

Whenever there's a thread about the weather, the game seems to almost always be high scoring.

Thanks for the thread. Start all SF and Jax players with confidence...

All the indications are that the really bad, hurricane style weather is going to be in London overnight tonight and early Monday, so after the game has finished.

Looking at the links provided it looks like SW winds at 24 mph, with gusts to 38 mph, at 1200 which I believe was 8am eastern.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this story play out before time and time again. Potentially inclement weather forces fantasy owners to overthink it and sit their studs. Studs process to go off and have career games despite inclement weather and weather usually turns out not as bad as predicted. Not falling for it.

Blackmon and v Davis locked and loaded. I'd rather go down with the ship than watch them go off on my bench from me trying to be slick about a little rain and wind.

I've seen this story play out before time and time again. Potentially inclement weather forces fantasy owners to overthink it and sit their studs. Studs process to go off and have career games despite inclement weather and weather usually turns out not as bad as predicted. Not falling for it.

Blackmon and v Davis locked and loaded. I'd rather go down with the ship than watch them go off on my bench from me trying to be slick about a little rain and wind.
Gusts to 46 aren't "little" but it's still 3 hrs from gametime so I guess it could get better, but all indications are it will get worse.

If I sit Dawson and he has "goes off" in those conditions then so be it.

My prediction of a Jacksonville win seems a little more possible with the this game possibly turning into a slop fest.

I don't go out and outright predict a game on here very often but just really have a feeling about this one.
1% chance. Good luck with that.

Gusts to 46 aren't "little" but it's still 3 hrs from gametime so I guess it could get better, but all indications are it will get worse.

If I sit Dawson and he has "goes off" in those conditions then so be it.
Wembley isn't the same as stadiums here stateside. Winds won't b as much a factor. Google images of it. It isn't wide open like stadiums here. It's more of a dome w a hole cut out of the top.

I hate this London game - their weather forecasting is ####### stupid... I'm running errands with the wife and have to rely on bbc.co.uk, WTF??!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2634549

A few observations, they like the word squally, & I'm guessing the sign that has number in a circle with an arrow in it is the wind... If that's kimolmeters,, 12-14 is nothing to worry about.

The wind will not be a factor, the worst of it kicks in later in the day and Wembley has high and steep stands that completely enclose the pitch. The rain is apparently due to get heavy around half time

Do players typically perform worse when they play in London? I can't recall, but I would think the extended travel time, lack of an engaged crowd, etc. might affect stats somewhat. Just trying to figure out what to do with Cecil Shorts.

Do players typically perform worse when they play in London? I can't recall, but I would think the extended travel time, lack of an engaged crowd, etc. might affect stats somewhat. Just trying to figure out what to do with Cecil Shorts.
The PIT/MIN game was a high scoring affair and their offenses are trash. Honestly, there likely just isn't enough data at this point to draw an concrete conclusions from. I probably wouldn't let the fact that it's in London play too large a role when deciding who to start/sit. Weather is a an entirely different issue, however.

What is "squally rain" btw?

Anyone sitting Vernon David in lieu of another option? Some people may have a Jordan reed type that is enticing with a great matchup.

I'm trying to decide between Cecil Shorts and Josh Gordon. Ugh.

For what it's worth, the hourly weather report in London still doesn't forecast much rain for most of the game. It's definitely going to be windy, but like others have said, the bulk of the rain isn't supposed to come until later.

I don't get all the UK game hate. Who cares? The game is still on at 1pm est and it's not like anyone is going to Jacksonville to watch a game anyway. The players seem to like it for the most part and they're the ones traveling, not the rest of us arm chair QBs.

Any further comment about field conditions? I'm more concerned if Wembley resembles the practice fields the Niners have complained about. They said very soggy, marsh like. Think it would be difficult for skill players. Might be a pure grind it out type game - we'll see.

I don't get all the UK game hate. Who cares? The game is still on at 1pm est and it's not like anyone is going to Jacksonville to watch a game anyway. The players seem to like it for the most part and they're the ones traveling, not the rest of us arm chair QBs.
I'm sure the 49er players love traveling 12 plus hours to London for this one...

Meanwhile the Jax players prob enjoy traveling 6 hours for a "home game"

The inclement weather is the added bonus :)

Users who are viewing this thread