What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Pool combined effort mock - Drafting now! (1 Viewer)

Steelers got :

Andrew Billings

Kamalei Correa

Darian Thompson

To be able to get a consensus top 5-6 guy at DT, OLB, and S despite picks of #25, #58, and #87 would suit me just fine.  It's funny how opinions vary on some of these guys, I looked up Kiper's mock draft after I chose Correa and was psyched to see him project Correa at 1.27.  I'm thinking I got 2 first round talents with a late 1st and late 2nd rounder..... then, I saw he has Billings ranked around #60 - a fringe 2nd/3rd rounder.  :lol:     Last year's SP mock, I correctly tabbed Bud Dupree to the Steelers in the first and then chose Ronald Darby in the second and a couple people thought I reached for him.  Then, in the actual draft, he ended up going 10-15 picks higher than I drafted him and was a day 1 starter and led the Bills defense in tackles and passes defensed.  So, who the hell knows?  Maybe the Steelers should fire Colbert and hire your old pal EG.

Steelers got :

Andrew Billings

Kamalei Correa

Darian Thompson

To be able to get a consensus top 5-6 guy at DT, OLB, and S despite picks of #25, #58, and #87 would suit me just fine.  It's funny how opinions vary on some of these guys, I looked up Kiper's mock draft after I chose Correa and was psyched to see him project Correa at 1.27.  I'm thinking I got 2 first round talents with a late 1st and late 2nd rounder..... then, I saw he has Billings ranked around #60 - a fringe 2nd/3rd rounder.  :lol:     Last year's SP mock, I correctly tabbed Bud Dupree to the Steelers in the first and then chose Ronald Darby in the second and a couple people thought I reached for him.  Then, in the actual draft, he ended up going 10-15 picks higher than I drafted him and was a day 1 starter and led the Bills defense in tackles and passes defensed.  So, who the hell knows?  Maybe the Steelers should fire Colbert and hire your old pal EG.
Not sure they should hire you when you were totally outclassed in rounds 1 and 2 by our Panthers' picks. We didn't reach for a DT in the 1st and got our CB of our dreams in Alexander and low and behold Vernon Butler fell into the cradle of our loving second pick. You may notice some web sites (like CBS and WalterFootball and Gil Brandy/NFL, actually the first 3 I googled did) ranked Butler ahead of Billings. I like the Correa pick (although unlike Andy screwing me ;), he didn't screw you when I suggested Correa before you picked) and I wanted Thompson or Coleman in round 3, which would have put a cherry on top of the Panthers draft.

That said, I wouldn't even think of suggesting that the Panthers fire Gettleman. There would be blood in the streets if that happened.

Well Paxton Lynch at 20 isn't likely to happen anymore.
No kidding. Looking like top 10 now. Honestly, if the Browns like him at all, that is a great pick for them at #8. RG3 is going to fail miserably (he'll get killed behind that OL, but who cares, sacrifice him for a top pick), so another top pick next year. Get a bunch of players, coach Lynch up and get him ready for 2017+ and then take a couple nice pieces in the first round next year once Lynch is ready. I don't know about WRs, but is there a stud guy next year they could pick when they pick top 3? Grooming Lynch for a year and then giving him a Julio Jones/AJ Green next year seems like a great plan.

As to the QBs, could this mean Cook going somewhere like the Jets at 20? Does that start a domino affect and Denver reaches at 31? SF, Denver, Jets, Cowboys (Romo 36 tomorrow) and Arizona (Palmer will be 37 this season) might be interested since they either have nada or an old guy who gets injured and they suck when they are. Heck, Brees is 37, Brady will be 39 (but they have Jimmy), Rivers will be 35 this season and the Bills don't seem sold on Taylor.

I'd love to see some panic and see some of the 2nd-4th round prospects go earlier selfishly leaving the Panthers with more options.

ETA: SF has the 7th pick and likely weren't thinking Lynch, but might decide they want Cook/? and go in the 2nd or try and jump back into the late first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure they should hire you when you were totally outclassed in rounds 1 and 2 by our Panthers' picks. We didn't reach for a DT in the 1st and got our CB of our dreams in Alexander and low and behold Vernon Butler fell into the cradle of our loving second pick. You may notice some web sites (like CBS and WalterFootball and Gil Brandy/NFL, actually the first 3 I googled did) ranked Butler ahead of Billings. I like the Correa pick (although unlike Andy screwing me ;), he didn't screw you when I suggested Correa before you picked) and I wanted Thompson or Coleman in round 3, which would have put a cherry on top of the Panthers draft.

That said, I wouldn't even think of suggesting that the Panthers fire Gettleman. There would be blood in the streets if that happened.
I don't go by the rankings sites.  Last year, in one mock I gave the Steelers Marcus Peters over the higher rated Trae Waynes.  In another, I drafted Darby in round 2 despite him being ranked anywhere from 6th to 16th among CBs on the major rankings sites.  One could make a strong argument that those were the two best rookie CBs last season.  I'm not completely sold on Alexander - he could be great or he could be crap, I like to be more certain on a 1st rounder.  I considered Alexander at #25, but prefer Billings' upside. If I had taken Alexander there, you wouldn't have gotten Butler, because I would have snapped him up in the 2nd. I like Billings better than Butler but not by that much, Butler was a far better value where you got him.  Usually the beef goes fast.  So, I really liked your picks - I considered both of those guys in the rounds you drafted them.

I don't go by the rankings sites.  Last year, in one mock I gave the Steelers Marcus Peters over the higher rated Trae Waynes.  In another, I drafted Darby in round 2 despite him being ranked anywhere from 6th to 16th among CBs on the major rankings sites.  One could make a strong argument that those were the two best rookie CBs last season.  I'm not completely sold on Alexander - he could be great or he could be crap, I like to be more certain on a 1st rounder.  I considered Alexander at #25, but prefer Billings' upside. If I had taken Alexander there, you wouldn't have gotten Butler, because I would have snapped him up in the 2nd. I like Billings better than Butler but not by that much, Butler was a far better value where you got him.  Usually the beef goes fast.  So, I really liked your picks - I considered both of those guys in the rounds you drafted them.
Just having fun with you, although I still think I easily won our make believe fantasy pre-NFL out of date moments after finishing mock draft.

That said, Alexander will be an absolute stud across from Norman as Butler and Short collapse pocket after pocket while scared QBs throw the ball up for grabs before Johnson and Ealy unload on them.

I am interested to see how well we all did when it comes to the real thing. This is the first mock I've done on this site, so it'll help make the 4 hour 1st round go faster.

Not my best effort here.

Baltimore Ravens:

Ezekiel Elliott / Kevin Dodd / Christian Westermann

With the 2 QB's going 1/2, one of Bosa/Ramsey/Jack/Tunsil (maybe Buckner still after all) will be the 1st round pick.  They seem sold on Monroe righting the ship so it should be a defensive pick.  Felt good getting Dodd, but wish Garnett (Stanford) had fallen two more spots to not make this look so bad.  Still, filled three needs, 2 with good to elite prospects and a warm body at Guard.

New Orleans Saints:

Vernon Hargreaves / Vadal Alexander / Adolphus Washington

CB / G / Interior D-line are all top needs.  Just don't feel good about this administration's history of evaluating CB's.  Unless they like their young WR's more than I do, could see a top 3 at the position drafted to complement Cooks.  Maybe Treadwell.

Summary for Panthers:

Love that we got a top CB and came away with 2 first round value guys at key spots both for the team and for future contract considerations. Alexander and Butler are solid players and late 3rd nice to get a potential future tackle.

Summary for Miami:

Made a really dump pick of Austin Johnson, should have been Nassib at DE, but I messed up with 3 teams, but Apple, Nkemdiche and Johnson is a lot of talent influx into the team. If they can harness Nkemdiche, he, Johnson and Suh make a real nice DT combination. Pressure up the middle will make the DEs better and make up for the loss of Vernon.

Summary for Cincy:

Love the haul of A'Shawn Robinson, Will Fuller and Jeremy Cash. Makes a playoff team better without much work to do.
Well, the Alexander pick is a much better pick now. I'll be really interested to see how many CBs we take and when in the draft.I know we had visits for a bunch of CBs, including Alexander and some later round picks.

Oakland Summary:

William Jackson III--The picks at 14-15-16 were my choices, and I hope the Raiders have then same choices:  WJIII, Rankins, Lawson.  I don't like WJIII more than either one, but I liked them pretty equally.  If in any other draft, where defensive tackle was not quite so plentiful, I would have taken Rankins.  So this is maybe a little bit of 'need' over BPA, but really I don't believe that Rankins is the next Aaron Donald, just that he's the best interior pass rusher in this draft, and I like several others.  I didn't love the corners I thought would be there in the 2nd-and I was right.  

Jonathan Bullard--He was the guy I was hoping was there.  Can play DE and DT, just like Mario Edwards.  If he had been gone, I probably would have taken Joseph slightly over Chris Jones.  

Jordan Jenkins--This was BPA, need says take Darian Thompson here.  But I love this kid.  And LB is a big need as well.

Also, I am definitely going to fire up a mock today, and we'll go till the draft.  Check your inboxes for PMs.  Hoping for 5 rounds.

Steelers got :

Andrew Billings

Kamalei Correa

Darian Thompson

To be able to get a consensus top 5-6 guy at DT, OLB, and S despite picks of #25, #58, and #89 would suit me just fine.  It's funny how opinions vary on some of these guys, I looked up Kiper's mock draft after I chose Correa and was psyched to see him project Correa at 1.27.  I'm thinking I got 2 first round talents with a late 1st and late 2nd rounder..... then, I saw he has Billings ranked around #60 - a fringe 2nd/3rd rounder.  :lol:     Last year's SP mock, I correctly tabbed Bud Dupree to the Steelers in the first and then chose Ronald Darby in the second and a couple people thought I reached for him.  Then, in the actual draft, he ended up going 10-15 picks higher than I drafted him and was a day 1 starter and led the Bills defense in tackles and passes defensed.  So, who the hell knows?  Maybe the Steelers should fire Colbert and hire your old pal EG.
Kiper and McShay's new combined mock yesterday has the guy I got at #25 going at #24 (although Mel called it a reach), the guy I got at #58 going #40 and the guy I got at #89 going #54 and without going outside glaring need positions at all.  That's an aggregate +54 value to draft spot on 3 picks.  Take that Gettleman !  :lol:

Kiper and McShay's new combined mock yesterday has the guy I got at #25 going at #24 (although Mel called it a reach), the guy I got at #58 going #40 and the guy I got at #87 going #54 and without going outside glaring need positions at all.  That's an aggregate +52 value to draft spot on 3 picks.  Take that Gettleman !  :lol:
LOL, now I have to go look at that damn thing!

Crap it's on Insider, so don't have access. Oh well, you win be default since I can't see it. That said, I really wasn't a big fan of our 3rd round pick. I think if I were the GM, I would have used a later round pick to jump up a few and get Thompson (your guy) or Coleman, who I really wanted.

New Orleans - lsutigers - Vernon Hargreaves, CB - Florida
Well Triplett is now reporting there are grounds for this especially in light of the Saints chasing Norman. Hard to understand from POV, they need interior defensive line help (still) in the worst way IMO.

Not sure why Cook at 31 (the last pick of the first round) is of any real issue. while people are all over the place on him, he largely settles as  a 2nd round prospect meaning that he is not a significant "reach" even if you believe in that term.  QBs are 'reached" for more than not and QB is a obvious need for the Broncos.  Based on what we have seen in free agency and this week, it is probably 50/50 Cook is even there at 31 and less than 10% that he would be there at 64 (assuming the Broncos are one of the teams who even like Cook).

On the idea of reaching...We don't know how any of these guys are actually rated until the actual draft occurs. The event itself reveals a players rating by at least one team (drafting) or 32 teams (not drafting). We don't really know who is reaching or not since we don't know the boards of all 32 teams.  Makes for fun talk, but at the end of the day, it just that fun talk. 
Well, I surely did not know what I was talking about here. 

Users who are viewing this thread