What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shell moves Robert Gallery to LT (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
LINK

Raiders' Gallery will show how "natural" he is in '06

“He is a natural left tackle.”

To sum up the general consensus concerning Robert Gallery, look to the above statement.

However, when people utter that recurring statement, they are missing a big part of the picture: How can you tell if someone is a “natural,” if you have never seen him professionally play the position?

Remember the great Tony Mandarich? Like Gallery, Mandarich was a “natural” offensive tackle taken with the second overall pick in the NFL Draft. This time, it was back in 1989 and the tackle went to the Green Bay Packers. Sports Illustrated said that the 6’5", 317 pounder was “the greatest offensive line prospect of all time.” He was “the best,” absolutely “dominant;” a “physical freak.”

Now, the only place you are likely to see the name of this “physical freak” is on a top ten list of the NFL’s biggest busts in Draft history. The Michigan State tackle was favored to win the Outland Trophy, which is awarded to college football’s best interior lineman. Fans should breathe a sigh of relief to hear that BYU’s Mohammed Elewonibi stole the award that year—because, 14 years later, Robert Gallery took the same tribute home.

But wait a second…the name “Tony Mandarich” has 13 letters in it; and the name “Robert Gallery” has 13 also. Perhaps that’s just another small omen prophesizing a Gallery career collapse. Sure.... if you regularly wear a cape in public and claim you can foresee the future using snow-filled Christmas globes.

The point: You can think of a variety of ways to compare and contrast Robert Gallery to any “bust” draft choice or any naturally talented star; but, it’s still too early to tell.

The main reason it’s much too premature to tell is due to the solitary fact that he hasn’t been playing in his “natural” left tackle position. And the word “natural” is staying inside quotations because Gallery lacks any NFL experience at the position.

He was a natural in the NCAA. He is only a “natural” in the NFL.

Oakland Raiders head coach Art Shell is ready to see if the quotations can be removed. It was recently reported that Gallery will be shifted back to the left side of the front line for the 2006 campaign—a move that has been anticipated since Gallery was drafted number two in 2004. For his first two NFL seasons, Gallery has played away from his “natural” position and has struggled. After not allowing a single sack in his collegiate career, Gallery has found himself in the face of constant criticism. In his 31 career starts, he has committed 22 penalties and has allowed 6.5 sacks. That sack number is one that isn’t exactly worrisome on the surface; however, Gallery has shown throughout his short career that faster pass-rushing ends give him great difficulty. And while the end result isn’t always a sack, a hurried incomplete pass or rushed interception likely is.

Yet, still, moving Gallery to the left side is the right choice. Barry Sims let in 12 sacks at the position last year for a total loss of 105 yards. Maybe Kerry Collins should have just ran backwards 100 yards and slid to the ground five yards deep in his own endzone in week one to get it all over with.

And now, Gallery will be given more responsibility protecting the blind side of his quarterback. As a former offensive tackle himself, head coach Art Shell understands the dimensions needed to excel at this position and will fill Gallery’s deep bucket of potential with as much knowledge as he can.

But as of now, the only two realities are that Robert Gallery was a natural left tackle at the University of Iowa and that he is not a natural right tackle in the NFL. Until the 2006 season rolls around, this will remain the case.

Only after Gallery is given the proper time to develop at his “natural” left tackle position with Art Shell, Irv Eatman, and Jackie Slater as his coaches, can it finally be concluded if Gallery is a true Draft bust. For the time being, the only thing that can be concluded from the move is that a right-handed quarterback will most likely start for Oakland next season. It’s too bad they all are right-handed.

Yet another mystery remains unsolved in Raiderland.
The fact that someone can even think about using the words "bust" and "Tony Mandarich" in relation to Gallery's first two seasons makes me :rolleyes: ... I'm not talking about the author, as his reference was tongue-in-cheek. But I've heard others question Gallery's skills when the guy hasn't even played the position at which he dominated in college. Big Bobby will do just fine protecting Vince's blind side. :D

The fact that someone can even think about using the words "bust" and "Tony Mandarich" in relation to Gallery's first two seasons makes me rolleyes1.gif... I'm not talking about the author, as his reference was tongue-in-cheek. But I've heard others question Gallery's skills when the guy hasn't even played the position at which he dominated in college. Big Bobby will do just fine protecting Vince's blind side. biggrin.gif
I had read this was coming and it's good that he's finally getting back to LT. Can't wait to see Vince going "Lights Out" when he tries to run to the right like he did in college against the Chargers. :banned:

The fact that someone can even think about using the words "bust" and "Tony Mandarich" in relation to Gallery's first two seasons makes me rolleyes1.gif... I'm not talking about the author, as his reference was tongue-in-cheek. But I've heard others question Gallery's skills when the guy hasn't even played the position at which he dominated in college. Big Bobby will do just fine protecting Vince's blind side. biggrin.gif
I had read this was coming and it's good that he's finally getting back to LT. Can't wait to see Vince going "Lights Out" when he tries to run to the right like he did in college against the Chargers. :banned:
He played against the Chargers in college? :confused:

This is what I really liked about the Shell signing. If nothing else, our offensive line play should and will be much improved. Grove and Gallery are going to have great 3rd years.

I had read this was coming and it's good that he's finally getting back to LT. Can't wait to see Vince going "Lights Out" when he tries to run to the right against the Chargers. :banned:
He played against the Chargers in college? :confused:
:bag:

Moving Gallery to LT means the Raiders won't be going Leinart in the draft since he would be a better fit at RT, protecting Leinart's blind side.

LINK

The fact that someone can even think about using the words "bust" and "Tony Mandarich" in relation to Gallery's first two seasons makes me :rolleyes: ... I'm not talking about the author, as his reference was tongue-in-cheek. But I've heard others question Gallery's skills when the guy hasn't even played the position at which he dominated in college. Big Bobby will do just fine protecting Vince's blind side. :D
Gallery is not a bust like Mandarich - yet. But moving him to LT when it is harder to play than RT does not make sense. I have always been told the LT spot is the most difficult position to play on the line and RT was normally reserved for former and projected LTs. If he is having trouble at RT the move to LT could be very very tricky.

Gallery is not a bust like Mandarich - yet.

But moving him to LT when it is harder to play than RT does not make sense. I have always been told the LT spot is the most difficult position to play on the line and RT was normally reserved for former and projected LTs. If he is having trouble at RT the move to LT could be very very tricky.
Don't believe it is necessarily a more difficult position to play, rather that you are up against better defensive ends, and more blitzes as defeneses attack more from the QB's blind side. Expect that tackles do have a "natural" preference for which way they like to block and move, either left or right, which could favor one side over the other.

Moving Gallery to LT means the Raiders won't be going Leinart in the draft since he would be a better fit at RT, protecting Leinart's blind side.
I think that might be reading into it a bit much. The move was based soley on getting the most production out of Gallery.If Leinart is there, they will take him. Hell, they might still trade up to go after him, nobody knows at this point.

as soon as i saw the initial post i figured this means the Raiders are targeting Winston Justice who played RT. I heard and read, ( i know that doesn't mean anything), that the Raiders were following him around at his pro-day like they had already drafted him and wanted to work out a contract.

LINK

This reminds me of something I forgot to add in my original post. I know this is going against conventional wisdom, but I submit that Mandarich was NOT a "bust"...Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Blair Thomas, Mike Mamula, Bruce Pickens and dozens more were "busts" in the true sense of the word. The only reason Mandarich gets mentioned as a bust is because he didn't come close to performing to his draft position, added to the highly unfortunate fact he was selected before Barry Sanders.

Terrible decision by the Packers? Yep.

Was Mandarich a BUST? Nope.

Tony Mandarich played 86 games in the National Football League. You cannot play 86 games on the offensive line in the NFL if you suck. He had a solid, if unspectacular career. If he was a 2nd round pick instead of the 2nd overall pick, nobody would have said he was a bad player.

LINK

This reminds me of something I forgot to add in my original post. I know this is going against conventional wisdom, but I submit that Mandarich was NOT a "bust"...Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Blair Thomas, Mike Mamula, Bruce Pickens and dozens more were "busts" in the true sense of the word. The only reason Mandarich gets mentioned as a bust is because he didn't come close to performing to his draft position, added to the highly unfortunate fact he was selected before Barry Sanders.

Terrible decision by the Packers? Yep.

Was Mandarich a BUST? Nope.

Tony Mandarich played 86 games in the National Football League. You cannot play 86 games on the offensive line in the NFL if you suck. He had a solid, if unspectacular career. If he was a 2nd round pick instead of the 2nd overall pick, nobody would have said he was a bad player.
How do you describe a BUST?I think of a bust as someone who comes highly toted out of college but fails to perform at the level in the NFL which his draft position would indicate.

Mandarich is a bust although be did have a 'second life" with the colts and played well.

A ‘Total Bust’ would be Ryan Leaf but there are very few of those because they are often given several chances to at least be mediocre.

Do I think Gallary is a bust? At this point it is to soon to tell but unless he comes around this year then the raiders will be all measurments have not gotten a very good return on thier investment.

I think that might be reading into it a bit much. The move was based soley on getting the most production out of Gallery.If Leinart is there, they will take him. Hell, they might still trade up to go after him, nobody knows at this point.
There was a rumour on this board that Oakland was thinking of trading up to the #2 spot to take Leinart. This move kills that thought, if anything they would move up to get Mario Williams or maybe Vince Young. If Leinart is there at #7, guess there is a possibility they take him but still think that Oakland would go Huff over him and if they wanted a QB would trade down a few picks to get Culter.

Actually, one who believes that Gallery is a bust would argue that moving Gallery to LT means it is more likely that Leinart is the Raiders draft target.

Actually, one who believes that Gallery is a bust would argue that moving Gallery to LT means it is more likely that Leinart is the Raiders draft target.
:lmao: :lmao:

I've been saying this is what they want to do. Move Gallery to LT and Sims to LG so that they are both in their most natural positions. All these paid publications saying that Oakland badly needs a guard but their real biggest weakness is at RT. That's why I'm hoping they draft Winston Justice who they spent a lot of time with at the combine. They might not but the move of Gallery and Sims has been brewing for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread