What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Denver tank a few games to avoid home field advantage? (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
Its pretty clear that, even after two games, Denver is the class of the AFC. But, with Old Man Manning at the helm, there is almost no chance they can win back-to-back games in cold weather in January. Manning is 0-4 in play-off games when the temperature is below 40 degrees.

So, should Denver try to stay a game behind a team like Houston in the race for home field advantage?

That would seem to give Denver the best chance of making the Super Bowl this year, and who knows how many years Manning has left in the tank.

no.

I'm sure that they'd rather employ a hurry up offense AT altitude with the crowd noise in their favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sinn, are you sniffing glue again?
That implies that I stopped :oldunsure:

But, I just want to be able to bump this in January, when Denver loses in the playoffs.

I really like Manning - and would argue that he belongs in the discussion of greatest QB of all time - but the reality is he is not a great cold-weather/outdoor QB - and I think that may be his achilles heel. Denver is operating like the old Colts offense, and might put up some prolific numbers this year, but I am not sure they are built to play well in cold weather.

But, I just want to be able to bump this in January, when Denver loses in the playoffs.

I really like Manning - and would argue that he belongs in the discussion of greatest QB of all time - but the reality is he is not a great cold-weather/outdoor QB - and I think that may be his achilles heel. Denver is operating like the old Colts offense, and might put up some prolific numbers this year, but I am not sure they are built to play well in cold weather.
They could lose a million playoff games due to cold weather and this won't look any smarter.

They could lose a million playoff games due to cold weather and this won't look any smarter.
:shrug:

right is right

I can't help it if it takes the masses longer to understand.

If they don't go as far as they want, I think you'll be able to trace it back to the running game, than any game time temp.

Sinn Fein said:
Its pretty clear that, even after two games, Denver is the class of the AFC. But, with Old Man Manning at the helm, there is almost no chance they can win back-to-back games in cold weather in January. Manning is 0-4 in play-off games when the temperature is below 40 degrees.

So, should Denver try to stay a game behind a team like Houston in the race for home field advantage?

That would seem to give Denver the best chance of making the Super Bowl this year, and who knows how many years Manning has left in the tank.
Wow, just Wow.

moleculo said:
you are aware that the average January high in Denver is 47, right?
With the new laws, I would have figured more.

But, the high temperature is probably around 2:00 in the afternoon. When was the last time Denver played a home playoff game that finished before 2:00 local time? Last year, the game started at 2:30, no?

Manning looks cold last year

Awesome post. I mean it. But Houston looks far from a juggernaut and that's the only best case scenario. Going to NE or KC or BAL/CIN doesn't help matters. Maybe MIA is for real but doubt they make it to 13-3 or whatever would be required to make this situation plausible.

besides

is he can't play in cold weather then a New York super bowl is gonna screw him anyway!

Ha, I love this theory. It's a good one.

If the main underlying point is Denver will have trouble come playoff time, I agree, it's something to consider.

This past January, the lows on the 2nd, 3rd & 4th Sundays of January in Denver were 13, -10 (that's a negative) (high of 11), and 15.

Anyone see that US/Mexico soccer game?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/denver-co/80203/january-weather/347810

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013/03/23/how-u-s-soccer-plowed-through-a-blizzard-to-beat-cost-rica/

moleculo said:

But, the high temperature is probably around 2:00 in the afternoon. When was the last time Denver played a home playoff game that finished before 2:00 local time? Last year, the game started at 2:30, no?

The game starts 3:pm eastern time since AFC is the early game this year.

So thats like 1pm mountain time. So the game should be done by 4 when the sun is down..

its look in 05 the temp was 34 degrees (I belive 05 was the last time they played in a home championship game vs. Steelers)

Sunday, January 22, 2006[edit source | editbeta] AFC Championship: Pittsburgh Steelers 34, Denver Broncos 17[edit source | editbeta]

Game summary
1 2 3 4 Total Steelers 3 21 0 10 34 Broncos 0 3 7 7 17at Invesco Field at Mile High, Denver, Colorado

• Game time: 3:00 p.m. EST/1:00 p.m. MST
  • Game weather: 34 °F (1 °C), sunny
  • Game attendance: 76,775
  • Referee: Terry McAulay
  • TV announcers (CBS): Jim Nantz (play-by-play), Phil Simms (color commentator), Bonnie Bernstein and Armen Keteyian (sideline reporters)
-----

this is my versio of getting the facts

moleculo said:

Great picture, none too happy there.

From before the BAL game:

Manning has never won a playoff game when the temperature at kickoff is below 40 degrees, losing in the postseason at New England (twice) and at the New York Jets. He threw one touchdown and seven interceptions in those games for a 46.2 passer rating, according to ESPN Stats & Information.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/63173/cold-weather-favors-ravens-not-manning

Make that 9 INT's in 4 games.

moleculo said:
With the new laws, I would have figured more.But, the high temperature is probably around 2:00 in the afternoon. When was the last time Denver played a home playoff game that finished before 2:00 local time? Last year, the game started at 2:30, no?

Great picture, none too happy there.

From before the BAL game:

Manning has never won a playoff game when the temperature at kickoff is below 40 degrees, losing in the postseason at New England (twice) and at the New York Jets. He threw one touchdown and seven interceptions in those games for a 46.2 passer rating, according to ESPN Stats & Information.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/63173/cold-weather-favors-ravens-not-manning

Make that 9 INT's in 4 games.
The real lesson here is to not play against a great D or BB.

oh, and either con Elway into putting a lid on that place, or else start producing carbon emissions at alarming rates

As a fan of an improved Bengals team I endorse this line of thought. I'm sure fans in New England and Baltimore agree as well. Manning should do everything possible to avoid playing a game in the cold.

-QG

Historically, Denver's pro sports teams have had the biggest home-field advantage in pro sports.

So no.
is that true?

I am not saying it is not true, but that seems like the sort of thing that someone might just throw out there and hope it sticks

if it is true I find it very interesting

:lol: do people think Denver is like a frozen tundra or something? It's sunny there something like 300 days a year

just for sport, I downloaded NOAA weather data from Denver from 2000-2013, and looked at temperatures on Sundays in January. The data comes from a weather station just across the river from Mile high.

The average temp on sundays in January was 48 dF. The highest recorded was 70 dF, and the lowest daily high was 16 dF. Assuming Sunday, January temps are normally distributed (i.e. neglecting any long term trends), the probability of the daily high being greater than 40 dF is roughly 74%

Yes, it was cold there last year. I was there, freezing my ### off. My wife's beer had ice chunks floating in it before kickoff. She spent the entire OT huddled in the bathroom beneath the hand-warmer.

What was forgotten is the week after that game, Denver had a high of 65 dF.

Maybe now Indy is an option for home field ... imagine the story lines with Manning coming back to play the title game in Indy.

Sinn Fein said:

Is "Sinn Fein" Icelandic for idiot?

DropKick said:

Did you get dropkicked on your head?

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't see Den as clearly the class of the AFC. They need to worry about winning their division first. KC is good this year.

As a fan of an improved Bengals team I endorse this line of thought. I'm sure fans in New England and Baltimore agree as well. Manning should do everything possible to avoid playing a game in the cold.

-QG
I'm not worried about the weather, I just hope they don't wisen up and bench Manning in January.

besides

is he can't play in cold weather then a New York super bowl is gonna screw him anyway!
It seems to me that the only prudent course of action at this point would be to simply forfeit the rest of the season.
tank, get a good draft pick, and REALLY kick ### next season
That's it! They should bench Manning, lost the next 14 to clinch the No. 1 draft pick, and then release him after drafting Bridgewater! It's just crazy enough to work (again)!

DropKick said:

Did you get dropkicked on your head?
No... but I'm not proposing teams tank for road play-off games.

No. Let's not pretend they lost to the Ravens on a fluke coverage error. I don't think Denver should even be favored to win the Superbowl, especially after losing Clady. This team can't run the ball and regardless of the numbers, their defense is not very good. If solely having the best QB in the NFL meant winning the Superbowl, Manning would have a lot more Superbowls. They have a decent shot at coming out of the AFC but the 49ers, Seahawks, Falcons, and Packers are better teams IMO.

:coffee:

Users who are viewing this thread