What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

should the NO Saints move to... (1 Viewer)

Should they move to LA?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Without question. Even before the Hurricane, the Superdome was outdated, and New Orleans did not want to give Benson a stadium. He is made out to be this horrible man for even thinking about moving the team, but the fact is, the support was not there. LA would be a great fit.

Without question. Even before the Hurricane, the Superdome was outdated, and New Orleans did not want to give Benson a stadium. He is made out to be this horrible man for even thinking about moving the team, but the fact is, the support was not there. LA would be a great fit.
Agreed...........but Benson is in a catch 22 situation. He wants to move and needs to, but he couldn't have picked a worse time to think about it, although it is the ideal situation. Recovering from Katrina was bad enough for the city.....and now they have to worry about the team leaving? :no:

A move to LA would be great for the team. A fresh start, new coach, new players. Leinart would be there poster child in LA. Hell they should even rename the team.

Without question.  Even before the Hurricane, the Superdome was outdated, and New Orleans did not want to give Benson a stadium.  He is made out to be this horrible man for even thinking about moving the team, but the fact is, the support was not there.  LA would be a great fit.
Agreed...........but Benson is in a catch 22 situation. He wants to move and needs to, but he couldn't have picked a worse time to think about it, although it is the ideal situation. Recovering from Katrina was bad enough for the city.....and now they have to worry about the team leaving? :no:
I think any move they make or don't make will be negated in htat they have an owner who isn't committed to winning. From what I've read, he's a bit like the Bidwell's in Arizona, who said ,"We don't have to sell a single ticket to make money in the NFL." Well it's true, but your franchise is a blight on the NFL, much like the Saints have been throughout their entire franchise's history. Give me a new owner if you ask me. I don't even like the Saints. There's another guy in New Orleans also who ruined a once proud North Carolina basketball franchise, the NBA's Hornets, his name is George Shinn. Katrina was a disaster but if you ask me, the two professional sports franchise owners who's teams were devestated in her wake couldn't have been more deserving.

Just a bad all around situation. Owner isn't committed to winning. As a result, fan support is obviously going to be more luke warm. Throw in the aftermath of the hurricane and I can't see them staying in NO longterm. What was the population prior to the disater? ~ 1 million? What is it now and what will it be next NFL season? I have to think that many people that left NO will never return and that includes the rich, poor and everything in between. I imagine some of the successful people quickly put their lives back together in other communities and will not go back. Likewise, if you're poor and had little/nothing to begin with, what's the point of picking up and leaving a second time just to go back? You might even be better off in your new location. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case more often than not. Anyway, so if Nola is suddenly now a 500k-700k city, is it reasonable to think it can support a NFL team? As it is it was very shaky already at a million. Personally, I think the NFL should force them to stay at least one more year, just to give the city a chance to get back on its feat and then both the city and the league will have to take a hard look at things.Anyone have some stats on population / how many have returned / etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Said it before and I'll say it again...They should be now known as the "LA Saints", since it could be Los Angeles or Louisiana...

Frankly, Los Angeles doesn't deserve a football team. There aren't really enough fans to support it, even when it's winning, they can't sell out.LA is not a good sports city, the problem is that you have a huge population base which leagues want to attract.

Just a bad all around situation.  Owner isn't committed to winning.  As a result, fan support is obviously going to be more luke warm.  Throw in the aftermath of the hurricane and I can't see them staying in NO longterm.  What was the population prior to the disater?  ~ 1 million?  What is it now and what will it be next NFL season?  I have to think that many people that left NO will never return and that includes the rich, poor and everything in between.  I imagine some of the successful people quickly put their lives back together in other communities and will not go back.  Likewise, if you're poor and had little/nothing to begin with, what's the point of picking up and leaving a second time just to go back?  You might even be better off in your new location.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case more often than not.  Anyway, so if Nola is suddenly now a 500k-700k city, is it reasonable to think it can support a NFL team?  As it is it was very shaky already at a million.  Personally, I think the NFL should force them to stay at least one more year, just to give the city a chance to get back on its feat and then both the city and the league will have to take a hard look at things.

Anyone have some stats on population / how many have returned / etc?
www.nola.com reported yesterday that 70% of the Metropolitan area population has already returned (+/- 900,000) and analysts estimate that it close to 90% will return within the next year (putting it close to 1.2 million). San Antonio's mayor has already said that they won't build a new stadium and a remodeled Alamodome will still have fewer seats and about 2/3rds as many suites as the Superdome. The NFL also won't let their worst owner move to LA. I don't know what Benson is going to do, but the Saints ranked #2 in all time attendance per win and I don't think San Antonio or LA would deliver the attendance that NO has delivered to Benson (36 straight sell-outs over the past few years for some very mediocre football).

Remember their legendary 4 game slide from a couple of years ago? They sold over 50,000 season tickets for the next year. Who else will support a sorry team like that so well?

If not LA, what about any of the following cities:OmahaOklahoma CityLas VegasPortlandLouisvilleToronto

If not LA, what about any of the following cities:

Omaha

Oklahoma City

Las Vegas

Portland

Louisville

Toronto
Mexico City or Birmingham can go on that list.But the NFL is on record as saying they have a(n internal) commitment to bring a team to LA. Not sure why - everyone there is a transplant and they like watching their teams on TV - and they can get all the Rams and Raiders games now...

The games never seemed to sell out for the Rams. Raiders are a cult following, so they always sell out.

Frankly, Los Angeles doesn't deserve a football team. There aren't really enough fans to support it, even when it's winning, they can't sell out.

LA is not a good sports city, the problem is that you have a huge population base which leagues want to attract.
UHHHHHHHHHHH how about the Lakers?

I think the Saints need a new owner that's what they need. Someone who knows what they're doing and knows how to WIN. Tom Benson does NO GOOD for the Saints. I don't think they're moving anywhere nor hope that they do. i'm a huge fan even though we lose all the time, but oh well. We're used to it now. Hopefully next year will be a better year for us.We just got rid of Haslett too, hopefully we can bring in a good decent coach. :)

Frankly, Los Angeles doesn't deserve a football team. There aren't really enough fans to support it, even when it's winning, they can't sell out.

LA is not a good sports city, the problem is that you have a huge population base which leagues want to attract.
I think another reason for the NFL infatuation with LA is that bizarre rule that a Super Bowl has to be played in a city that has an NFL team. The league misses the days of having the Rose Bowl as Super Bowl venue.The city still supports baseball, so a Matt Leinart led "Saints" team would draw. For all their faults, the Saints have some talent, and would be better than an expansion team. Give them a competent QB that is not locker room poison and this team is at least 8-8.

If not LA, what about any of the following cities:

Omaha

Oklahoma City

Las Vegas

Portland

Louisville

Toronto
Mexico City or Birmingham can go on that list.But the NFL is on record as saying they have a(n internal) commitment to bring a team to LA. Not sure why - everyone there is a transplant and they like watching their teams on TV - and they can get all the Rams and Raiders games now...

The games never seemed to sell out for the Rams. Raiders are a cult following, so they always sell out.
As a Saints fan, if they could somehow go to Birmingham and become the Gulf Coast Saints, I'd be pretty happy. Obviously, I'd prefer to keep them here, but this is a very attractive alternative scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread