What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sidney Rice undergoes hip surgery (1 Viewer)

Chip Scoggins just tweeted this: "Received short text from Sidney Rice confirming he had hip surgery. Rice said it 'went well.'"

Chip Scoggins just tweeted this: "Received short text from Sidney Rice confirming he had hip surgery. Rice said it 'went well.'"
This would be good news if they would have done it 8 weeks ago. Who's in charge of running the Vikings, seems like a freaken circus over there. If they win the Super Bowl, I'll be shocked. Nothing against the obvious talent they have but just how things have went down there this summer, a lot to be desired to be honest. If I were a fan of that team, I'd have a lot of question marks about the people behind the scenes big time.

This would be good news if they would have done it 8 weeks ago. Who's in charge of running the Vikings, seems like a freaken circus over there. If they win the Super Bowl, I'll be shocked. Nothing against the obvious talent they have but just how things have went down there this summer, a lot to be desired to be honest. If I were a fan of that team, I'd have a lot of question marks about the people behind the scenes big time.
From Profootballtalk:
The Vikings have every right to be upset with how this was handled. Judd Zulgad of the Star-Tribune was speaking in SIRIUS NFL radio Tuesday as the news broke and speculated that Rice's lack of a contract resulted in the delay to have surgery and that Rice likely opted for the procedure because he's only making $550,000.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...es-hip-surgery/

From Profootballtalk:
The Vikings have every right to be upset with how this was handled. Judd Zulgad of the Star-Tribune was speaking in SIRIUS NFL radio Tuesday as the news broke and speculated that Rice's lack of a contract resulted in the delay to have surgery and that Rice likely opted for the procedure because he's only making $550,000.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...es-hip-surgery/
Very sad, not exactly a team player. Maybe the 3 Amigo's that went to pick up Farve in Mississippi should have stopped over Rice's house along the way to give him some love.

What's frustrating about this is how apparent the posturing was from the get go. First Rice's agent lets the hip injury slip and says he "hopes" it won't extend into the regular season, then they back pedal even though Rice isn't practicing. Then we hear that two of three doctors recommended surgery some time ago and still nothing. And then just as camp wraps up, with no extension in sight, he has the procedure.

I'm glad to have knocked Rice sufficiently down my rankings that he wasn't getting rostered on any of my teams (or anyone that used my projections in the Dominator), but even so I was still giving him the benefit of the doubt that he would play a chunk of this season effectively.

I don't see how anyone can roster him at this point.

What's frustrating about this is how apparent the posturing was from the get go. First Rice's agent lets the hip injury slip and says he "hopes" it won't extend into the regular season, then they back pedal even though Rice isn't practicing. Then we hear that two of three doctors recommended surgery some time ago and still nothing. And then just as camp wraps up, with no extension in sight, he has the procedure. I'm glad to have knocked Rice sufficiently down my rankings that he wasn't getting rostered on any of my teams (or anyone that used my projections in the Dominator), but even so I was still giving him the benefit of the doubt that he would play a chunk of this season effectively.I don't see how anyone can roster him at this point.
Unbelieveable, I kept this guy over Drew Brees, colossal mistake this turned out to be.

Honestly though, if you are Rice and you see them hand the king $20+M to play one year, wouldn't you be a bit miffed over them not redoing your $550K deal (as reported by PFT). I think had the team reworked his deal, he would have had the surgery earlier. I guess we can call Rice a non-team player, but didn't the Minnesota front office create this with the creation of the Favre Rules?

I had to elect to keep him a couple weeks ago....only cost a 13th rounder, so if I get him back at close to 100% for the playoffs, he may still be worth it....

Honestly though, if you are Rice and you see them hand the king $20+M to play one year, wouldn't you be a bit miffed over them not redoing your $550K deal (as reported by PFT). I think had the team reworked his deal, he would have had the surgery earlier. I guess we can call Rice a non-team player, but didn't the Minnesota front office create this with the creation of the Favre Rules?
He could be giving up more by not playing though. Two years of 1200 yard production would have netted him a huge free agent deal. Now, he'll become a free agent with one good year and an "injury risk" label.

What's frustrating about this is how apparent the posturing was from the get go. First Rice's agent lets the hip injury slip and says he "hopes" it won't extend into the regular season, then they back pedal even though Rice isn't practicing. Then we hear that two of three doctors recommended surgery some time ago and still nothing. And then just as camp wraps up, with no extension in sight, he has the procedure. I'm glad to have knocked Rice sufficiently down my rankings that he wasn't getting rostered on any of my teams (or anyone that used my projections in the Dominator), but even so I was still giving him the benefit of the doubt that he would play a chunk of this season effectively.I don't see how anyone can roster him at this point.
I agree with Jason, people who have been paying attention weren't taking him unless he dropped absurdly far in the draft. I can proudly say I didn't have him rostered in any leagues but, unfortunetly, didn't get Harvin or Shiancoe as much as I would have liked to. :IBTL:

I think this was more about Rice hoping he could play through it and earn the extension. No one, even Drew Rosenhaus, could have rightfully thought Rice would get a big extension this offseason in an uncapped year. When Revis and CJ and DeSean Jackson can't get new deals done, Rice certainly wasn't going to. My thing though is no one is going to convince me Rice plays at 2009 levels for 8 games. MAYBE he comes back in the last month if the Vikes are in contention, but that would make him a waiver wire option for your playoff run IF things fall right. Yet I bet he still gets drafted as a backup in many leagues.

I think this was more about Rice hoping he could play through it and earn the extension. No one, even Drew Rosenhaus, could have rightfully thought Rice would get a big extension this offseason in an uncapped year. When Revis and CJ and DeSean Jackson can't get new deals done, Rice certainly wasn't going to. My thing though is no one is going to convince me Rice plays at 2009 levels for 8 games. MAYBE he comes back in the last month if the Vikes are in contention, but that would make him a waiver wire option for your playoff run IF things fall right. Yet I bet he still gets drafted as a backup in many leagues.
Completely agree.

:fishing: He's totally off my board.

Who was Rice before Favre came to town? I think Rice depends on Favre waaaaay more than Favre (or the Vikings) depends on Rice.

Berrian or someone else will step up to fill the void nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deranged Hermit said:
Those that drafted Harvin are about to really reap the rewards of that wise investment. Wish I would have pulled the trigger earlier on him now in a few leagues. :goodposting:
I don't think so. Harvin is a slot guy, and while his numbers may go up a little, I think the biggest bump goes to Berrian and Shiancoe. I think Berrian is a 900-1000 yard guy with Rice out, and Shiancoe in the 700-800 yard range. Another WR--maybe Lewis, maybe Walker, maybe someone else--will probably emerge with 300-400 yards receiving.Also, a bump to Peterson and whoever wins the 3RB role.
Harvin was a slot guy last year... doesn't mean he couldn't become a flanker. In fact, he nows owns the best hands on the team, has blazing speed and quickness, and Favre is not afraid to throw him the ball. I believe he'll definitely get a bump in receptions and TDs with the loss of Rice. The migranes have already depressed his ADP, even though they did nothing to depress his stats last year.Based on where he's been drafted this year, he may just end up being on a lot of championship teams.

Maybe Rice was "the unnamed source". :goodposting:

Who was Rice before Favre came to town? I think Rice depends on Favre waaaaay more than Favre (or the Vikings) depends on Rice.Berrian or someone else will step up to fill the void nicely.
Before Favre Rice was an injury prone WR who was thought to be very good when healthy. Tavaris Jackson put him off the map.

Who was Rice before Favre came to town? I think Rice depends on Favre waaaaay more than Favre (or the Vikings) depends on Rice.Berrian or someone else will step up to fill the void nicely.
My thoughts are Berrian moves up quite a bit on draft boards. Question is how far?

Deranged Hermit said:
Those that drafted Harvin are about to really reap the rewards of that wise investment. Wish I would have pulled the trigger earlier on him now in a few leagues. :goodposting:
I don't think so. Harvin is a slot guy, and while his numbers may go up a little, I think the biggest bump goes to Berrian and Shiancoe. I think Berrian is a 900-1000 yard guy with Rice out, and Shiancoe in the 700-800 yard range. Another WR--maybe Lewis, maybe Walker, maybe someone else--will probably emerge with 300-400 yards receiving.Also, a bump to Peterson and whoever wins the 3RB role.
Harvin was a slot guy last year... doesn't mean he couldn't become a flanker. In fact, he nows owns the best hands on the team, has blazing speed and quickness, and Favre is not afraid to throw him the ball. I believe he'll definitely get a bump in receptions and TDs with the loss of Rice. The migranes have already depressed his ADP, even though they did nothing to depress his stats last year.Based on where he's been drafted this year, he may just end up being on a lot of championship teams.
Why are the FF Gods punishing me already this season? I was HOPING to get Harvin at a reduced rate, now he's gonna move back up before my draft this weekend.

I think that Minnesota's attempting to "recreate" 2009 is going to be a total failure.

Rice's injury, the Harvin migraines..it's just the start.

Favre is not a miracle man, father time could catch up to him quick, and if it does, the Vikings could be 7-9 easily.

I've never liked the coaching staff/play calling there in Minnesota, and as a previous poster mentioned, what the heck is going on in that front office?

He was injured, that's who. Silly statement.Those that have watched Rice play, know that he does not need a great QB to be a great WR. Like Larry Fitz, he doesn't need to be open to catch the ball.

True but not 19.5 million dollars more. Vikings should stepped up an thrown him a bone.

True but not 19.5 million dollars more. Vikings should stepped up an thrown him a bone.
Funny thing is Farve said it wasn't about the money when Vikes upped the ante to entice him to come back this year.

I'm not sure why it has to have anything do with Favre.It's a similar rationale Vincent Jackson is presumably using. In Jackson's case, he is presumably taking the stance that it isn't worth the risk of sustaining an injury before he gets his big contract, which could hurt his chances of getting, or the amount of, that next contract.In Rice's case, he may have felt that if he got a new contract it would be worth the risks associated with playing through the injury, but without a new contract it wasn't, given that any further injury and/or reduction in effectiveness could hurt his chances of getting, or the amount of, that next contract.I think Jackson should have signed his original tender and played this season for the Chargers. But Rice is *already hurt*, Jackson isn't. IMO it is more understandable for Rice to use what leverage he has given the situation. And the Vikings should have reworked Rice's contract early on IMO. They could have possibly settled on a reasonable value early, and he could be healthy in time for all or most of the season. This is also different from the Chargers' situation, since Favre has a much more limited shelf life, which should provide the Vikings with a greater sense of urgency.

This may be a dumb question but is Rice eligible to be put on the regular season PUP list and if so will the Vikings do so?

Minnesota = possible destination for Vincent Jackson with this news? (just throwing it out there...no idea if it would even work or if they would even want him...)

Minnesota = possible destination for Vincent Jackson with this news? (just throwing it out there...no idea if it would even work or if they would even want him...)
that would be one expensive rental. Don't see them making that move. If VJax is moved it will be to a team that will sign him long term and I don't see the Vikes having that need/desire unless Rice's injury is career threatening (which it does not sound like it is).

I'm sure it won't happen, but it's interesting to think about the Chargers trading Jackson to the Vikings for Rice. The Vikings get an upgrade this year as they push for a Super Bowl before Favre is gone. And they get a very good WR for years to come as well.Meanwhile, the Chargers don't cave to VJax but still have a great young WR on the roster. One with health problems, but also one who is a few years younger. And, heck, the way things look right now, Rice could still contribute as much or more for the Chargers down the stretch as Jackson will if the current situation holds.Jackson is happy, because he presumably gets paid. (Note this obviously assumes him getting paid now works under Minnesota's cap... maybe Favre gives back some of his recent bonus...?)Rice still has a contract issue, but at least knows he can play with Rivers and under Turner for years to come, which is an upgrade on the uncertainty of who will be the Vikings QB after Favre. Plus, he gets to upgrade from living in Minnesota to living in San Diego.Sounds like a potential win for all parties...

When the Vikings are tight lipped about player injuries, it's a circus. When the Patriots do it, they are a smartest organization in the league. You probably think that Roy Williams complaning to the media that Dez won't carry his pads makes your team look like professionals.

When the Vikings are tight lipped about player injuries, it's a circus. When the Patriots do it, they are a smartest organization in the league.

You probably think that Roy Williams complaning to the media that Dez won't carry his pads makes your team look like professionals.

The Favre circus and the Rice injury situation make the Vikings org like they are clueless. The Patriots are tight lipped however their players proceed with the right treatments to get on the field. They also do not wait until August to figure out what their plans are at QB.

just traded 33 year old Randy Moss for 23 year old Rice in a PPR dynasty league. I know I'll lose out big time this year, but long term, I had to do it. :thumbup:

The best time to have surgery is right before the season. You get to collect a paycheck, your body heals while everyone else is getting beat up and your career lasts one year longer. Unbelieveable.

So what idiot in Minnesota let this guy wait until now?

:unsure: He's totally off my board.
I'm in the middle of reworking my WR board tonight, and I agree with Jason and zadok - Rice is totally off my board for redraft fantasy leagues. The "out 1/2 the season" seems more like a hopeful guess than a serious estimate to me - there is a lot of rehab and recuperation to be done between now and November where setbacks can occur and etc. I wouldn't expect him to be near 100% if he is rushed back by the first week in November. And he'll be out of football condition and off his timing if he does come back this year.

I drafted him in a dynasty dispersal draft like an hour before this story broke. Pretty awesome. :blackdot:

What are people thinking for Rice now in terms of dynasty value?

I don't think his dynasty value is affected much. But it sure does suck to own him and count on him for this year.

I'm just pissed that he waited until now.

Is it possible Rice and the doctors knew all along he needed surgery but delayed the news until Favre was back in the fold?

:confused:

Is it possible Rice and the doctors knew all along he needed surgery but delayed the news until Favre was back in the fold? :thumbup:
I dont understand why he waited this long either. He had hip problems in the spring, and 2 of 3 doctors reccommended surgery. I suspect the fact he is only making .55 Million this year has something to do with it. Why risk further injury in a contract year. Its basically like using the 2009 season as his contract year. If he gets hurt, or plays worse than he did in 2009, it could cost him alot of money.I would bet he comes back at some point this season though to at least prove he is healthy and worthy of a big juicy contract.

Is it possible Rice and the doctors knew all along he needed surgery but delayed the news until Favre was back in the fold? :thumbup:
I dont understand why he waited this long either. He had hip problems in the spring, and 2 of 3 doctors reccommended surgery. I suspect the fact he is only making .55 Million this year has something to do with it. Why risk further injury in a contract year. Its basically like using the 2009 season as his contract year. If he gets hurt, or plays worse than he did in 2009, it could cost him alot of money.I would bet he comes back at some point this season though to at least prove he is healthy and worthy of a big juicy contract.
ESPN asked Favre today if he would have come back had he known Rice could be out for half the year:"I don't know that for certain," he answered.

I'm glad I'm not in any redrafts that draft before the 3rd preseason game.

ESPN asked Favre today if he would have come back had he known Rice could be out for half the year:"I don't know that for certain," he answered.
If he was worried about Favre not coming back, just have the surgery in June. He would have been back by week 1 that way. As a matter of fact, him and Favre could have shown up to camp together hand in hand last week.

I drafted him in a dynasty dispersal draft like an hour before this story broke. Pretty awesome. :P What are people thinking for Rice now in terms of dynasty value?
Very unclear. He's had one big year with Favre, two bad years, and one injury-marred year. Hard to bank on that, but he has obvious upside. In a dynasty startup a year from now I bet he would go around the eighth or ninth round as a high upside WR3.

Users who are viewing this thread