What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Simeon Rice being shopped (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
The Bucs are said to be shopping veteran DE Simeon Rice, and there is speculation they may have a willing trade partner within the state. Jacksonville officials have reportedly received a trade offer from the Bucs but the Jaguars have yet to tell the Bucs what, if anything, they'd be willing to give up for Rice. Rice's agent, Tom Condon, said Thursday he had not heard any trade talk involving Rice but wasn't surprised to hear that rumors of a deal were flying.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGBQM5022KE.html

watch out for the Lions on this one. With the need for a good DE and a head coach with ties to Rice this might be something to watch.

He would look lovely in a niner jersey...
Why would a team rebuilding take on an older player with a huge contract? He would look TERRIBLE in a niner jersey.
For some reason i didn't think he was that old. After looking on NFL.com, i was wrong.

He would look lovely in a niner jersey...
With them not willing to franchise Peterson, and pay a big salary like that for a year, I don't see them going for Rice.Rice still has some in the tank. He's a top notch linemen, and should be scooped up quickly by someone.

Rice is a guy who makes big plays, but disappears for quarters at a time.

I don't think he is worth what he is making, and neither do the Bucs (especially considering their cap situation and needs elsewhere).

If isn't traded, he may get cut. So why trade for him?

I don't see him getting cut. He plays the DE in Tampa-2 perfectly and would be a great loss. All he's there for is to pressure the passer, and he does that very well.

watch out for the Lions on this one.  With the need for a good DE and a head coach with ties to Rice this might be something to watch.
:yes: Definitely a good possibility.

Here's a shark tip for you: What this tells me is that they believe DeWayne White will be a 15 sack man next year, so now Rice is expendable.

Last edited:
Here's a shark tip for you: What this tells me is that they believe DeWayne White will be a 15 sack man next year, so now Rice is expendable.
Good point. White was the man who made the sack, forced the fumble, and returned it for a TD to beat NO in week 16 and clinch the division. Kiffen would know if White is capable of stepping it up and filling Rice's shoes.

Good point. White was the man who made the sack, forced the fumble, and returned it for a TD to beat NO in week 16 and clinch the division. Kiffen would know if White is capable of stepping it up and filling Rice's shoes.
Spires is an admirable LDE, but as I said in another thread, I think White would simply beat him out this year.But with Rice out the door, it seems they would not really lose a step in this defense. They would, however, need to draft or sign in some FA depth.

For the record, Rice is scheduled to make $9.2M this year. He would save the team $2.8M if released/traded.

Rice can be frustrating at times, but he is awesome. He can and does take over a game at times. I also don't think it has anything to do w/ their views on who is left on their roster DL wise, but has everything to do w/ their salary cap situation. They are in dire need and need to make some very decisions in regards to the salary cap and who they retain or not. Rice is one of the top DE's in the league and even if he disappears for a quarter, he can dominate for much of the other part of the game. Big loss for TB if he's gone!!!

Users who are viewing this thread