What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Small chip/crack in windshield repair (1 Viewer)

offdee

Footballguy
Driving today and an effing pebble smacks against my windshield and now have a little chip in windshield and I can see it just starting to spider out.  I know these can be fixed when small like this without repairing the full glass (using epoxy or something).  I also know the longer I drive with it the bigger the spidering will get and become more expensive to fix.

With that said, what is the cheapest service that I should look into for repair?

As a starting point I know of Safelite Auto Glass and did an online quote that came out to $140.  And I believe they come to me and fix on the spot from their supply van?

Is this a good price?  Seems high to me, but maybe it is what it is.

Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah good thought.  Didn't have to pay any deductible?
Depends on your insurance, but I always got glass with no deductible. I'd strongly advise you to check that out if stacks aren't blowing out your pockets and mopping up your heels on the way inside the club. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Many insurance companies offer free glass repair, then your deductible if it needs replaced. Call your insurance. 

if it hasn't actually spidered you can will the spot with the epoxy easy peasy........ I've done it a few times.   

Windshield got smacked with a road rock on Wednesday. It was dark and I couldn't see anything while driving. Saw the chip yesterday morning and figured I better get it fixed sooner rather than later. I call Safelite and schedule mobile service for today. Price came to $200, and I prepaid it using Paypal. I have a $250 deductible with my insurance so it seemed to make sense not to file a claim and just pay myself. I went to work, so I wasn't home when they came. I get a text from my wife saying they broke the glass during the repair and now the windshield needs to be replaced. It will cost an additional $900 on top of what I already paid and they will come out next Saturday to do the job. I left this morning with a dime sized chip and came home to about a 2 ft crack. Now, I suppose it is certainly plausible that the repair failed and the windshield cracked legitimately due to the compromised glass. But it also seems plausible that the technician F***ed up or, even worse, intentionally cracked the windshield to generate a higher repair bill. I'll guess I'll never know.

Anyway, I figure this just became an $1100 job, so I figure I should get the insurance involved at this point. Safelite says that can not switch to an insurance claim for the job at this point. They say can do the replacement job separately under an insurance claim and I will need to pay the $250 deductible. They said I should send the receipt for the $200 repair job to my insurance company, tell them what happened, and ask for a reimbursement. So, now I am going to be $450 deep into this with the inconvenience of another appointment and joy of having to arm wrestle the insurance company for $200 back. I am sure that will go smoothly.

Windshield got smacked with a road rock on Wednesday. It was dark and I couldn't see anything while driving. Saw the chip yesterday morning and figured I better get it fixed sooner rather than later. I call Safelite and schedule mobile service for today. Price came to $200, and I prepaid it using Paypal. I have a $250 deductible with my insurance so it seemed to make sense not to file a claim and just pay myself. I went to work, so I wasn't home when they came. I get a text from my wife saying they broke the glass during the repair and now the windshield needs to be replaced. It will cost an additional $900 on top of what I already paid and they will come out next Saturday to do the job. I left this morning with a dime sized chip and came home to about a 2 ft crack. Now, I suppose it is certainly plausible that the repair failed and the windshield cracked legitimately due to the compromised glass. But it also seems plausible that the technician F***ed up or, even worse, intentionally cracked the windshield to generate a higher repair bill. I'll guess I'll never know.

Anyway, I figure this just became an $1100 job, so I figure I should get the insurance involved at this point. Safelite says that can not switch to an insurance claim for the job at this point. They say can do the replacement job separately under an insurance claim and I will need to pay the $250 deductible. They said I should send the receipt for the $200 repair job to my insurance company, tell them what happened, and ask for a reimbursement. So, now I am going to be $450 deep into this with the inconvenience of another appointment and joy of having to arm wrestle the insurance company for $200 back. I am sure that will go smoothly.
Yeah, none of that sounds right. They would be hearing from me quite a bit more before I agree to that.

Where do you live? I got a guy who replaced my windshields for $220. One on a Ford Escape and another on a Honda CR-V.

Also kudos to those in this thread. I have a crack on my windshield and Safelite is coming out to repair it for free on my insurance. I never knew this was covered. Just saved me $220.

Where do you live?
Cleveland, Ohio area.

I have never in my life paid more than $500 for a windshield. You drive a Peterbilt?
Close...2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Also Cleveland Ohio... Wife was driving to work on I90 just near downtown when something went through he windshield. Thought it might have been a bullet at first, but looks like maybe a rock from the overpass or something. She had glass in her lap an everything. Lucky she didn't wreck. Anyway... Safelite replaced for us. Cost us our $250 deductible. 2021 Ford Explorer:

Part Subtotal: 545.42
Flat Labor Subtotal: 440.02.
Sales Tax: 64.10
Total: 1050.12
Deductible:250

Where do you live?
Cleveland, Ohio area.

I have never in my life paid more than $500 for a windshield. You drive a Peterbilt?
Also Cleveland Ohio... Wife was driving to work on I90 just near downtown when something went through he windshield. Thought it might have been a bullet at first, but looks like maybe a rock from the overpass or something. She had glass in her lap an everything. Lucky she didn't wreck. Anyway... Safelite replaced for us. Cost us our $250 deductible. 2021 Ford Explorer:

That technician can’t be seeing even half of that labor charge. Maybe I’m totally off base, but I thought they had that down to a 1 guy, 1 hour job, with reattaching the rear view mirror probably taking the most time.

Looks as bad as a medical insurance bill.

Where do you live?
Cleveland, Ohio area.

Sorry, I'm in Philadelphia, PA.

Where do you live?
Cleveland, Ohio area.

That technician can’t be seeing even half of that labor charge. Maybe I’m totally off base, but I thought they had that down to a 1 guy, 1 hour job, with reattaching the rear view mirror probably taking the most time.

Looks as bad as a medical insurance bill.

I can tell you my guys come out to my house, they have a 2 man crew. Takes maybe an hour.

Where do you live?
Cleveland, Ohio area.

Please send me a DiNic's roast pork

Where do you live?
Cleveland, Ohio area.

with brocolli rabe I assume.

I work in car insurance and have seen plenty of glass claims hit four figures. Sure the majority are a couple of hundred tops, especially if it's repair and not replace, but a lot of models are not cheap these days

Where do you live?
Cleveland, Ohio area.

with brocolli rabe I assume.
absolutely!

Users who are viewing this thread